La Palapa, Puerto Vallarta

by CaseyOnTheCase
    Great Atmosphere, warn and inviting
    by CaseyOnTheCase
  • CaseyOnTheCase's Profile Photo

La POalapa: Awesome Experience, Views and Great Cuisine!

by CaseyOnTheCase Updated Sep 9, 2011

Ocean Front Dining

Hola & Bienvenidos From Beautiful Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico

This restaurant is celebrating it's 50th Anniversary and won the 5 Star Diamond Award. It was awarded by, American Acadamey of Hospitality Servives. The below review is of the event I attended last night at the restaurant. Enjoy

My friends and I attended a wonderful event called “La Palapa Martini Tasting” Hosted by Israel sommelier extraordinaire. He was assisted by the accomplished Mixologist, Hector…not to be confused with the Hector who mortally wounded Achilles..Jajajajaja. Ok back on track. It was the perfect evening for this event…as the late afternoon cooled down; attendees to the event were arriving. Everyone was in good spirits…smiles and anticipation all around. Some had never had a martini others had only had the classic martini (un-flavored) and then there were those like myself who had experienced a flavored martini. The lighting in La Palapa is warm and inviting….the wonderful misting system and the fans circulate cooling air. The creation of the right atmosphere is essential to enjoying ones evening. The event is beginning….The Night Manager Oscar stepping up to the podium to announce the event and to welcome one and all to the tasting. Israel, Hector and staff have set the stage. Sparkling martini glasses twinkle ready to be filled with the signature martinis. Pairings were also served with the stars of the evening the “La Palapa Signature Martinis “

1) Signature Chardonnay Martini – This martini captures all the mystery and subtle flavor of a fine bottle of Chardonnay wine with a hint of organic mint and local fruit. How can this be? I will share what I do know. Pears and other fruit are gently heated to release their essence and at the right time Chardonnay is gently added to create an exquisite reduction akin to a dessert wine. All blended with vodka (shaken not stirred). If you are not a mint lover please reserve your judgment …the flavor of the mint is so perfectly blended….you will be surprised and delighted by its freshness and flavors that blossom in your mouth….This signature martini by Israel, is a must have treat.

2) Signature Tropical Passion Fruit Martini – This vodka martini is blended with several local fruits, to include the “Passion Fruit” the other fruits which shall remain nameless are a compliment to the passion fruit for it is the star of this perfectly chilled experience. I was surprised by the overall sophistication of this martini. I thought to myself…surely how they can top this. Perfecto!

3) Signature Hibiscus Martini – Wow and wow again! The guest at my table and well everyone was captivated by the color of the martini…..beautiful….awesome color. This martini needed no garnishment it was its own well dressed show which was a prelude to the crescendo of vodka perfectly balanced with the “Hibiscus reduction” Sorry Israel is not sharing his secret to extracting the heart of the fruits flavor to create his fruit and wine reductions. Bravo!

4) Signature La Palapa Chocolate’ Martini- Ok I must admit…I thought sweet, not for me….but ok I decided to try it…after all it is a tasting…..Expect the unexpected! I wasn’t able to get any information on this perfect ending to a perfect evening of this Signature Martini…..The flavor of the vodka and the chocolate each were married together to create the showstopper! I wasn’t a fan of chocolate martinis, although I am a chocolate lover……but I am now.

The evening’s event was professional and very well presented. Alberto (Proprietor of La Palapa) was also on hand for the event. It was a full house and social event where travelers, expats and local attendees were able to make new friends and say hello to old friends. I am from Hawaii….I live in Puerto Vallarta year round. It is always a pleasure and delight to visit La Palapa…The Chef uses local fare to create culinary delights that will surely please even the most discriminating palate. I can’t say enough about the entire staff front and back end of the house…..Shout out to the girls in the office who we never see but do a fantastic job of keeping that end running smoothly. Raul and his combo are awesome as always playing soothing tunes….Thanks for putting up with my request for (Hotel California) Hugs and kisses to everyone there. What a great night. I will be traveling to Australia in a few days on business…you can be sure that I will be ever faithful to you my fellow travelers and connoisseur of cuisine. Until me meet again this is Casey on the Case, bon appétit!

Favorite Dish: The “Tuna Stack" is the perfect prelude to your entrée. The presentation is beautiful! The foundation of the dish is the (Sashimi) it is marinated in a delightful light sauce that perfectly complements the Ahi. Next is the rice.....just the right stickiness if I may say that..not mushy. The rice holds together nicely. Never over or under cooked. The crowning glory is finely julienned veggies.......a trio of sauces finishes the presentation in a creative and artistic display on the plate.

I call it the ultimate in food art!

I always follow this with the “Duck Enchiladas “Yes my friend you haven't live until you relish in the wonderful, satisfying flavors and aroma of this dish. The sauce compliments the enchiladas very well. Together they are like a very tango you never want to end. Both of these dishes are a culinary delight of sophistication at its best. You may not want to follow the Asian dish with the Mexican fare...but it works for me. I invite you to experience 5 Star Service and the ultimate in presentation.
    Casey On The Case

• Wine Tasting

• moetrn1's Profile Photo

La Palapa: WOW!!! the best

by moetrn1 Written Jan 6, 2010

The breakfast , lunch and dinner is fabulous...fresh, tasty and great presentation. When we eat here we feel like were wealthy...the food looks expensive the way they present it and it tastes great...I would say it is the best restaurant in PV. Great views too...right on the ocean. Very reasonable prices. You would expect to pay much more. You will love this place!!!

Favorite Dish: start with scallops!! the best ever!!! grilled beef fillet... chocolate lava cake!! All of their food is fabulous...this is just some of my favorites there...

• Business Travel

• africateach's Profile Photo

La Palapa: Sit on the beach... but only if it does not rain

by africateach Written Nov 14, 2008

We had heard about this restaurant from a few people even before we arrived in PV. They all said it is a must, but only if you get to sit on the beach! We made reservations and that next night we were on our way. About 3 minutes before we arrive... BAM!!! We get showers!!! So we hop out of the taxi and make our way inside. When we told the hostes who we were, she made this face as to say-- in the infamous words of Ron Burgandy "How do you like your food, well done or water-logged?" We told her we would wait to see if it would clear up. In about 10 minutes, it had, but was still too wet to go all the way out on the beach. We settled for sitting under the roof in the sand. It was still a great experience. We started with the clams in a chardonay sauce that was delicious. The tuna was very tender and came with mashed garlic potatoes. The waiter was very good with picking a bottle of wine to accent the dinner and we finished our plates!!!

Favorite Dish: The clams in chardonay sauce! Sitting on the beach with the candles was actually very nice and relaxing hearing the waves against the sand.

• Beaches

• La Palapa: Better eat before you get there

by donnycash Updated Mar 18, 2007

The food is probably very good...if you can get it. Service is painfully slow. It simply does not take this much time to produce fine food. If you go, figure on a wait for every course from drinks to dessert. Check out the lounge though...Raul is very good!

Favorite Dish: no favorites

• platypusak's Profile Photo

La Palapa: A Romantic Evening on the Beach

by platypusak Written Mar 10, 2005

La Palapa is right o the beach, literally. Some of the table sit right in the sand. Twelve of us shared a romantic, funny birthday dinner under the stars. The wine selection is tremendous and the dinners were fantasic. Presentation was wonderful.

Favorite Dish: So here's what I had:
    Portobello and shrimp salad, fresh mango, baby mix, arugula, mint and tamarind vinaigrette
    Pan crisped Snapper, green asparagus, mashed potato chorizo, zucchini blossom tempura, and soy-sherry sauce
    Wonderful!

• garyrbeck's Profile Photo

La Palapa: Elegant Beach Dining

by garyrbeck Updated Aug 23, 2004

On Playa Los Muertos in Old Town since 1959, open for fine entertaining lunch for people-watching and nightly for elegant dining with some tables on the sandy beachfront. Fried goat cheese, tortilla soup! Fresh fish fillets and Angus beef. Live music nightly draws many patrons into the bar 8pm-11pm, call first. Has become quite pricey but the quality is still there. This is the original restaurant south of Río Cuale before any bridges were built. Check out their historic photos in hallway.

Gary
    [From my guide, just ask!]

Favorite Dish: Huachinango, nightly specials, tortilla soup, fried goat cheese, salads.

Breakfast 8am-Noon, Lunch Noon-5pm, Dinner 5pm-11:30pm

• marinama's Profile Photo

La Brisa: The right place for see food

by marinama Written Nov 11, 2003

La Brisa Restaurant

The little restaurant, situated right on the beach can offer you a variety of seafood of good quality. Not only that the fish is very fresh (without ugly smell or timid initiation of decay – when you cannot look into its eyes because they are not in the proper place) and very tasty, but also the side view is very relaxing, with all that wave sound…. So, go there and just try some of their specialties.

Favorite Dish: Just try something light, for instance: tropical salad, with boiled shrimps and fresh coconut, or maybe a tuna fish or a red snapper (huachinango) with garlic or chili. Very tasty…

• richmalak's Profile Photo

La Palapa: La Palapa

by richmalak Updated May 29, 2003

Best beach front place on earth. we hang out here every day when in PV. we have lunch when not too full from previous night or having beach vendor food for lunch.

Favorite Dish: Lunch --- guac, ceviche, salads, soups, fajitas.

Dinner --- snapper, shrimp, snapper, snapper, snapper...get it

Instant Answers: Puerto Vallarta

Comments

Hotels Near La Palapa
4.0 out of 5 stars