Health/Safety, Puerto Vallarta

Know about this?

• nurselara's Profile Photo

Substandard water sport equipment

by nurselara Written Feb 11, 2006

It was day 2 in Mexico and the weather was still good, we decided to rent a jet ski from a local on the beach. We didn?t think twice about sub-standard life jackets and the risk we were taking getting into the sewer fed ocean, until Lara took the risky move of driving the jet ski so fast and erratic that she dumped us into the Ocean. Having previously survived 2 near drowning experiences, Lara sadly had the malfunctioning life jacket that was taking on water by the moment, Thanks for Deb?s quick thinking, strength and agility she was able to pull the near drowning Lara back up on the Jet ski. And with Lara driving once again they drove off into the horizon. (Poor Deb!!!)

• worldglobetrotter's Profile Photo

What lurks in the ocean

by worldglobetrotter Written Jul 19, 2005

My husband went boogie boarding for a while at the resort. After riding a wave in, he was wading back into the ocean when he stepped on something which retaliated by stinging him. His foot was bleeding, I was freaking out. So we went to the doctor there in the hotel. He brought a rollaway suitcase full of drugs, telling us the wound was caused by a stingray. He gave my husband some meds you could take with alcohol (how convenient) and charged us 400 pesos ($40).
    The wound never did heal until recently (only 5 months later). My husband went to his family doctor only to find that the stinger from the stingray was still lodged in his foot. The doctor in Mexico told us that it was fine...there wasn't a stinger in his foot...just broke the skin.
    So, kids, if something happens to you--you're injured for some reason--go ahead and get checked out once you return home. And wear water shoes while in the ocean!

Not the best pic of a stingray sting

• Randi.F's Profile Photo

Female Travellers...BEWARE

by Randi.F Written Feb 23, 2005

I just wanted to let all of you women out there who are traveling through Puerto Vallarta, Mexico be careful. The men like white women and they tend to make bold moves. I was in a shop with my grandmother last year and the owner started to kiss me, hold my hand and moves his hands up my chest and down to my butt...right in front of my grandmother. At the time I had just turned 16. It was totally uncalled for. We went to another shop right beside that one and another guy had his hands around my shoulders and around my waist. Again with the kissing in front of my grandmother. She said that they were friendly people but I had had no idea. Later that day I went looking in a shop by myself and an older fellow took me into the back isle and tried to start something with me. I was freaked the rest of the trip. I'm not saying don't go to Puerto Vallarta, I'm just saying that if you do go for a vacation, take a friend. Please don't go alone...it's just not safe. PLEASE BE CAREFUL GIRLS!!!

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

The Pacific Ocean

by Carmanah Written Nov 24, 2004

While I grew up in an area close to the ocean, the beaches in Puerto Vallarta were different from my expectations.

If you're a poor swimmer, like myself, be very careful when wandering out in the Pacific. The beach gets very steep. That is, when you walk out into the water, the water gets higher and higher. You won't have to walk that far before the water is over your head.

Not only that, but the waves are very powerful in the Pacific by Puerto Vallarta. I accidentally got myself pummelled by a wave. I tried to body surf on a wave, but I jumped before the wave crested. Instead, the wave caved in over my head, slammed me to the bottom and dragged me along the sand to the shore. I wasn't even that far out when this happened. The same thing happened to my sister who was even smaller than me. It terrified her.

The power of the Pacific hasn't left either of us yet.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

PV Water!!

by jamiesno Updated Nov 8, 2004

Before going to Mexico I had endless people tell me I was going to get sick if I drank the water or ate their food, well......I never ate so much spicey food, drank so many drinks with ice cubes and shot so much Tequilla before in my life and I was feeling great from the day I landed till I got back, so I think it is all in your head!!

For the most part you drink bottled water anyway I guess but I am sure you will be fine, Peurto Vallarta is known to have the best water in Mexico and at the Royal Decameron I noticed the restaurants and kitchen staff to be super clean with hair nets, mask covering their mouths, gloves, etc.

Since my visit I can also pass along that I have gotten a couple of emails notifying me that PV now has a new filtration system as well making the water there very good.

Tequilla anyone?

• mjd74's Profile Photo

Montezuma's Revenge... Maybe Not!

by mjd74 Written Nov 1, 2004

Have you ever been to Mexico and really REALLY watched what you ate and drank, yet still got sick???

Well, it might not have been the water that did it to you, in fact I would be willing to bet that more likely than not it was the cilantro.

Cilantro is an herb that is commonly used in almost all the popular Mexican dishes however it is also something that you need to be very carefull with.

If the cilantro is not properly cleaned you can make you very very sick. I might also add that the farmers that grow cilantro use human feces as fertilizer, so beware!

oooooo.... cilantro

• Rachelle88's Profile Photo

Very rough Ocean!

by Rachelle88 Written Sep 27, 2004

One danger you should look out for (especially if you have young children) is the roughness of the Ocean at the resort. The Ocean here can produce some very big and dangerous waves. Last November my mom was ankle deep in the water and a wave came up to her head and she lost her sunglasses. You know how they have the different colored flags to indicate how safe it is to go swimming? Green, yellow, and red (the worst)....when my friend and I went in April for 2 weeks we maybe saw the yellow flag twice and the rest of the time it was red. The waves were very strong and we didn't see many children swimming. My advise is if you're not a good swimmer, please avoid the Ocean when the flag is red.

Looks inviting, but beware!

• mjd74's Profile Photo

Hurricane Kena

by mjd74 Written Aug 25, 2003

The destruction of Hurricane Kena was a bit worse than the media outlets led you to believe. It has forever changed the landscape of some of the most photographed areas in all of Mexico. For more photo’s of Hurricane Kena, go and see my travel logs.

• PV. Banana Boat Dangers Continued...

by Emiko19 Written Jul 7, 2003

Finally they took an X-ray (standing up) and we knew that my clavicle (collarbone) was broken. It was a clean break and the bone was sticking up below the skin. They then gave me a huge shot to numb the area then set it using a special brace. I have to wear it for six weeks. Also I have to take pills for the pain and swelling.
    The hospital bill was 600 dollars for everything (without insurance).
    We went back to the banana boat guy and he was sympathetic. We showed him the hospital bill, the x-ray and me. He offered to pay half of the bill (after my dad suggested it) he also said that we had been taken (the hospital was a private one and supposedly everyone gets a cut). Well, he showed us his insurance forms and said that we would have to say that there were only four of us on the boat and that it happened after six thirty in the afternoon. We didn't want to lie, and we knew that the doctor's bill said the time that it happened - before six. So, anyways, my dad got our ride money back from him and managed to get another 100 dollars from him. He was mysteriously not in on our last day in PV, when we would be coming down to collect the 200. He "promised" that he would send the rest to us - We are not holding our breath.

My whole point here is be careful. We were not given any warnings prior to our fateful ride. There should be one space between each person on the boat and take it easy while riding. The doctor at the hospital, when he heard how I had been injured, said that it was the classic thing with banana boats. That told us something! We found out that my injury could have been a lot worse - knocked out teeth, broken nose, etc. And I also realized that had not my shoulder been there to break the blow of my mom's head, she could have broken her neck. So, I am thankful that nothing worse happened. But I just wanted to warn others that it is not as safe as it looks! My vacation was considerably ruined by the lack of precautions taken by the irresponsable runners of those companies. Be Careful!

• Spa and Resort
    • Water Sports
    • Beaches

• Puerto Vallarta. Banana Boat Dangers!

by Emiko19 Written Jul 7, 2003

I am writing to warn future travelers of the dangers that await them if they so choose to ride on the banana boats. My family and I, along with 2 friends, while in PV, decided to ride on the banana boat because it seemed much safer than parasailing. Boy were we wrong! The maximum amount of people that the boat will hold is 7 - there were 6 of us.
    While on the beach we were given our lifevests, then we got on the blown up yellow boat that was going to be pulled behind a motor boat (the ride was supposed to last for 20 minutes.)
    Well, about five minutes or less into the ride my father and one of our friends behind him tried to steer the boat into the wake (our friend was trying to help my dad turn because he saw him attempting to move that way). When he moved his weight that way too - the boat began to flip. My brother and I were in the back and didn't even see it coming.
    Next thing I know I feel this horrible hit in my left shoulder area and then I am floating in the ocean. The boat is gone now, still being towed by the boat, while we are all in the water. For some reason I knew what had hit me was my mom's head. Here she was complaining of a sore head and I am saying "I can't breath" as the tears begin to come. So, our friend's wife, who was a nurse, swam me back into shore. But when we got to the shore, a man on the beach tried to help pull me out and ended up injuring me even worse. Ouch!!!
    I finally arrived at the hotel/resort (Villas Del Palmar), walking all the way along the beach in horrible pain. They got me a wheel chair, at the resort, and wheeled me to the doctor's office. When he arrived he said I would need to go the hospital- so I painfully got there in a taxi and waited some more. The pain was excruciating.

• Spa and Resort
    • Water Sports

• Thaiinaug's Profile Photo

Bad Attitudes

by Thaiinaug Written Mar 30, 2003

Watch out the Resort people are a pain in the ass and are sometimes scary. Down towards muretos pier they try to push coke on you, at least they did me.

Also the stuff is overpriced in PV other places in mexico are much better for shopping.

I would only recomend PV to old people, honeymooners etc... Its spendy and its not the funnest place IMO.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Machete

by jamiesno Written Nov 1, 2004

My warning to you here is done *** off any Mexican people carrying a knife the size of this one. It's that simple. :-)

Staff person at the Royal Decameron Complex

• LeoM's Profile Photo

No crosswalks

by LeoM Written Oct 8, 2004

drivers will not stop for you as you cross the street.
    So watch out....they like to speed as well.
    Only cross at the lights, and try not to risk crossing in front of a speeding vehicle!

busy traffic
    • Adventure Travel
    • Casino and Gambling

Instant Answers: Puerto Vallarta

• Jul 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I was shaken down by the Malecon police twice while in PV over the week of July 12 - 19. Witnessed others being shaken down. My wife and teen daughter were present. During one incident I was slammed into the Malecon wall and roughed up a little as I was temporarily alone, out of public view and vulnerable. I feel had I been travelling alone I may have been in real trouble and wonder how far these corrupt cops would/will escalate things. Is kidnapping next? I have travelled all over the world and all over Mexico in a car and never had anything like this happen.

Bottom line, be careful on the Malecon, you may be targeted by the corrupt cops there. The ones wearing white golf shirts packing 9 mm side arms. The later at night the higher the risk. I was pulled aside and told menacingly "You are lucky you are not alone".The farther from public view the higher the risk. Carry little valuables. "Crotch" extra money, credit cards and anything else you don't want stolen or leave it in the hotel safe.

The Mexican people are great, but corruption is still rampant in the police unfortunately.

Other Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Vallarta