Safety Tips in Puerto Vallarta

• Steps to Buffet Restaurant
    Steps to Buffet Restaurant "Bosque"
    Stairs to Adult Pool
    Rocky Beach

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Vallarta

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

ROCKY BEACH

by LoriPori Written Nov 19, 2013

The Beach at Grand Palladium was more than disappointing , it was very ROCKY. More than once, I saw a swimmer going into the water and coming out limping as they had cut themselves on a rock. The beach is clearly marked with buoys of where to swim and where not to swim. I went in the water just to dip my toes, but I refused to go deeper into the water, as you could clearly see the rocks underneath. Also the water was muddy and murky and our last day there, the red flag was put up as there was a large algae blob in the water, which the lifeguard deemed as unsafe.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

SO MANY STAIRS

by LoriPori Written Nov 19, 2013

Yes, I read the reviews about this place having so many stairs, but I thought "How bad can it be?" There were steps to our rooms - there were steps to the adult pool - there was steps to the beach - there was even steps to the Buffet Restaurant "El Bosque".
    The stairs to our rooms were actually unsafe, as on one side, top rails were actually missing and "caution" tape was placed where rails should be and a lot of the rails were rotten and need to be replaced.
    I also noted that the resort is not very wheelchair friendly

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Topes and cobblestones

by etfromnc Updated May 8, 2011

Puerto Vallarta and the state of Jalisco seem to be in love with cobblestones and speed bumps. Topes is apparently Spanish for speed bumps. They have speed bumps everywhere, including on their superhighwaysand some of them can do serious damage to your car.
    Cobblestones are primarily in the towns and cities but they are larger than I am used to in places such as Charleston, SC and Jacksonville, FL. They can be treacherous on your ankles if you are walking, your bike and your body if you are biking, whether bicycling or motorbiking, and to your sense of being in control if you are driving, especially if they are wet.

• Motorcycle

Sore Nipples?

by jamiesno Updated Feb 24, 2010

I added this tip all in good humor. But in all seriousness if you spend a lot of time on the boggy board, in the salt water, in extreme heat, your chest rubs against the board a lot.

After a couple of days, I couldn't touch my nipples at all!! Very very sore!! :-)

Check em out :-(

Hurricanes!

by jamiesno Updated Feb 24, 2010

I travelled to Puerto Vallarta in November and just missed a major hurricane in the city. I found some pictures online just before I left of the famous Malecon, so I have uploaded it here. It doesn't look like great for walking on this day does it?

Luckily when I did arrive they were repairing the Malecon and the weather couldn't be better. Here is some other advise I found online.

It will come as no surprise to hear that Puerto Vallarta becomes a seething mass of relaxation-seeking humanity during the country's peak holiday months of July and August - that's literally seething, as this is smack in the middle of the climatic period from May to September when heat and humidity blanket the coastal lowlands of southern Mexico. Other times you'll find yourself enjoying too much company and stratospheric room prices are from mid-December to early January, and the weeks book-ending Easter.

In any event the weather is not unlike other tropical destinations, just get it when it is good!!

• monica71's Profile Photo

Everybody is sharing the roads...

by monica71 Written Oct 2, 2009

Roads in Mexico are shared by everybody: cars, buses, cows, horses, etc. You need to drive very careful especially when you go to remote locations or to small towns. You never know when a cow will jump out from the lush jungle in front of your car.

• monica71's Profile Photo

Watch out for speed bumps

by monica71 Written Oct 2, 2009

You have to keep your eyes open for speed bumps when driving. Not all of them are easily visible since they are the same color as the asphalt. Just don't drive too fast even if the road is in good conditions.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Don't be a macho macho man!

by jamiesno Written Nov 1, 2004

This is a funny story I can' t help but tell to get some digs in at my brother in law Jamie. Jamie is the type of guy that works out a big and right into sports and stuff. We've long teased the guy about his moves to the song macho macho man.

One drunken night, the night in this picture at the disco bar on the Royal Decameron Complex Jamie disappears!!! His wife Danette is wondering what the hell happened to Jamie? What has he done? What did he get himself into now?

After listening to so much of this as I could I search the club and find him in the bath room.
    His shirt off, posing in front of the bath room mirror with four or five Mexican guys, trying to determine who had the best biceps I suppose?

I thought I was going to die there trying to get him back to Danette but it ended up all in good fun and they were all laughing. I still can't beleive that's where we found him, so my tip to you is that this is probably a happy ending to a pour activity to partake in while you are in Mexico.

A little more modesty might go a long way :-)

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Due to Puerto Vallarta being...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Due to Puerto Vallarta being in a tropical rainforest zone, there's definitely an abundance of wildlife crawling around. For instance, iguanas and geckos were literally everywhere. It's great for animal-lovers like myself, but if you're not so keen on the critters, keep an eye out!
    Photo: An iguana seeks shade underneath a chair by the pool.

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

We experienced a few...

by lar-n-me Written Aug 24, 2002

We experienced a few 'friendly' locals, who were very (almost TOO) persistant in befriending us and wanting to do us 'favors'. In trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, we more times than not realized to what lengths they would go just to get $$$ from the tourists. Just be careful and always be thinking with a clear head. We actually had a couple of 'potentially' dangerous moments, simply (especially in hindsight) being somewhere a couple of 'obvious tourists' maybe shouldn't have been.

Puerto Vallarta Hotels

Marival Residences & World Spa Puerto Vallarta
Fiesta Americana - Puerto Vallarta
Latest: Apr 11, 2014

Instant Answers: Puerto Vallarta

Comments

Puerto Vallarta Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Puerto Vallarta locals.
Map of Puerto Vallarta