Teotihuacán Transportation

• Our zebra-painted bus in San Juan Teotihuacán
    Our zebra-painted bus in San Juan...
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Best Rated Transportation in Teotihuacán

• acemj's Profile Photo

Bus from Mexico City

by acemj Updated Feb 4, 2006

Most people vist the Pyramids of Teotihuacan from Mexico City. To get there from the capital, take the Metro to the Indios Verdes stop (at the north end of the city). Indios Verdes is a large, if not very organized, bus terminal. Walk to Platform J ("anden" in Spanish), which is the last platform on the west side of the road (face the mountains and you're looking north). When you get to platform J, walk north toward the mountains and look for a bus that has a sign in the window for Teotihuacan (or it might just say "piramides"). The one hour ride should cost 25 pesos. Try to get on before the bus fills up, because they won't have a problem slightly overselling the seats. On my bus, there were a few people that had to stand part of the way until some others got off the bus.

To get back to Mexico City, your best bet is to wait for a bus outside of Puerta (gate) 1 or Puerta 4. You can pay as your board.

You can also arrange tours at hotels and travel agencies throughout Mexico City, but expect to pay for the service.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Getting there

by Maria_75 Written Nov 21, 2004

Teothuac��n

There are plenty of travel agencies, tour organisers and hotels that organises trips here. Check around to get the best deal. Many of them will also take you to other places on the way, and sometimes it includes a lunch box.

It's no problem getting here, if you want to go by yourself. There are buses leaving almost every 15 minutes from Terminal del Norte in Mexico City. You can also take the metro (line 3) to Indios Verdes and a bus from here.

• Architecture

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo

Taxi vs. Organized Tour

by XtravelloverX Written Jan 31, 2005

I would highly recommend renting a taxi for 5 hours or so from your hotel in Mexico City to Teotihuacan, have the driver wait for you while you tour. This will give you the ultimate flexibility and time to explore the Maya city.

We went on a tour with other people which included a stop at a factory and lunch at a local restaurant. After 45 minutes shopping, we complained that we'd only have 1 hour at Teotihuacan at the rate the other tourists were shopping. The tour guide drove us to the entrance while leaving the shoppers at the store.

There is no sense in wasting your precious travel time being pigeon-holed into shopping when there's a gorgeous Maya city awaiting you.

It was a learning experience for us and we hope it becomes one for you.

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

Getting to Teotihuacan

by AnnaLupilla Written Jan 7, 2006

Getting to Teotihuacan is very easy: either you go to the Central Camionera Norte in Mexico City to catch a bus from Sala 8 by 'Linea Autobuses Mexico San Juan Teotihuacan'. The ticket costs you 27 pesos, and busses leave frequently. All you should pay attention to is, that they sell you a ticket to 'Piramides'.
    Another way to get there is going to the Metro station 'Indios Verdes' eithe by metro or Metrobus and there catch a bus by the same bus company. From there, busses to 'Los Piramides' cost you 25 Pesos.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

From Mexico City by bus

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 28, 2012

Our zebra-painted bus in San Juan Teotihuac��n

Teotihuacan – also written Teotihuacán is an enormous archaeological site in the Basin of Mexico, just 30 miles northeast of Mexico City.
    Driving to San Juan Teotihuacán on the toll Highway 85D or the free Highway 132D takes about an hour. Head north on Insurgentes to leave the city.
    Highway 132D passes through picturesque villages but can be slow due to the surfeit of trucks and buses.
    Highway 85D, the toll road, is less attractive but faster.

You can watch my 5 min 18 sec HD Video Mexico City on the way to Teotihuacan out of my Youtube channel.

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

By Bus

by filipdebont Written Nov 10, 2002

Our bus

It was about 50 km from Mexico City to Teotihuacán. So we went there by bus. Before we visited Teotihuacán, we first visited The Plaza the los tres culturas. And after lunch, on the way back to Mexico City, we also visited the Basilica de Guadelupe.

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Getting there

by leigh767 Written Jan 15, 2008

buses leave every hour from one of the bus stations in Mexico City in travel time is about an hour. on the way back, this is more likely to take more time because of traffic.

If memory serves me right, a one-way ticket costs about USD 3.50. Be sure to leave early in the morning to allow more time to explore the ruins.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• alza's Profile Photo

No need for organised tours

by alza Written Aug 11, 2007

Flowers and butterfly on the site

You can reach Teotihuacán very easily from Mexico City, using organised tours from any hotel/hostels if you don't want to bother with anything. That should cost about USD40 (I think.) Ask about tours at your hotel.

I went that way once, we were picked up at a major hotel and it was very pleasant not to worry about buses, missing important things on the way, and the like. We went in a small van, a small group of 7 and our guide was very simpatico. We stopped at a pulqueria to see how they make that drink, then at a place where they make tablecloths and other things out of the maguey plant, and then of course we had all the time we needed in Teotihuacán proper.

This last time, I was living in Mexico City and decided to go on my own, by subway and bus. It's extremely easy though a bit more tiring since you have to negotiate your way through huge crowds everywhere from the subway entrances, up and down long corridors, to the Terminal de Bus del Norte, etc. Then when you arrive, even if you made sure to buy a ticket for Teotihuacán, you might end up in San Juan Teotihuacán, a small town about one kilometre away. You'll need a taxi to get to the site, or to your hotel if it's by the site. Subway, bus, taxi and entrance to site cost me about $12 x2 return. Small saving but I enjoyed taking my time.

• pencho15's Profile Photo

Teotihuacán from Mexico city

by pencho15 Updated Aug 5, 2009

Teotihuacán is very close to Mexico City, every time i've been there I have traveled by car.
    To get there you must take the Mexico-Pachuca highway (Mex 85), after leaving the city you will find a detour to Teotihuacán (Mex 132) follow it and you will get to te archeological zone.
    The trip will take you about one hour if there is not much trafic.

• ronaldpk's Profile Photo

Sighting tours from Hostel Catedral

by ronaldpk Written Mar 22, 2006

On top of the pyramid of the Sun

I think you can take a bus from Terminal Norte to Teotihuacan, but I chose the sighting tour from Hostel Catedral ( 260 pesos). You can book it at the front desk. Our guide Ricardo - a Native was very kind, multilingual (English, German, Spanish, Italian and French). His deal didn't include the pyramids alone, but also the Sanctuary at Guadalupe, the celebration of the Aztec New Year at his home with his family and friends. I was extremely satisfied with this trip because had I gone on my own I would have missed the Aztec New Year!

• Architecture

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Various ways

by leffe3 Written Oct 25, 2002

Buses leave Mexico City Terminale Norte regularly. Takes an hour or so to travel the 50 kms and costs approx $2 each way.
    You can take organised tours from MC - $40-$50 per person. Most incorporate the Ex-Convento de San Augustin Acolman (10kms closer to MC).
    Or take a private taxi from your hotel - approx $40-45, good value and hassle-free if there are 3-4 of you (and gives you about 3-4 hours at the site).

• Viatim's Profile Photo

Subway and Bus

by Viatim Written Jul 4, 2005

It's easy to take the Mexico City subway to the north terminal, and then a regional bus from there. In Mexico, there's no shortage of musicians, even on the bus trip. This gentleman and two companions seranaded us for part of our journey. They were later replaced by people selling drinks and some bread.

• Archeology

• bus to Teotihuacan safe for solo females

by emily10153 Written May 14, 2010

I am a blonde blue eyed girl in early twenties with limited Spanish. I was told it would be highly unsafe for me to catch the Metro to the Autobuses del Norte station as this bus station is in a dangerous area of the city. However after reading reviews and blogs on the net I did it the cheap way anyhow and was perfectly fine. The metro (yellow line to Norte station) was easy to navigate and the bus station was just accross the road from where you exit from the Metro. The station was clean, safe etc. Just turn left once inside the doors and the Teotihuacan booking desk (for the pyramids) is the second to last desk. 35 pesos each way and the bus leaves every fifteen minutes. I never felt unsafe. And catching a bus back from the pyramids by myself was easy too. Very friendly people everywhere. I just would recommend solo females to dress conservatively to attract less attention and as always in Mexico city keep expenisve items hidden.

Take food and drink tot he pyramids though, besides a restaurant and vending machines there is nothing else.

• Women's Travel

• m1nkey's Profile Photo

Take the bus

by m1nkey Updated Mar 23, 2008

We drove from Guadalajara to Teotihuacan and will never do it again. The roads were fine but the tolls were outrageous! It cost us $130 USD round trip. Ouch! Thats one round trip bus ticket. Plus Mexico City is huge, they dont have a lot of road signs or street names that you can find. We finally found our way through after three hours of looking at maps and asking directions. Did I mention that it was a huge city, a cop stopped us and told us that our liscence plate was an odd numer and we were not supposed to drive in Mexico City on that day. What? We contested over and over and reminded them that we didnt live there and were tourists and they finally let us go. We got lucky on the return trip and got through town in about two and a quarter hours, oh joy! We will go back for sure but we will take a bus.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

you'll learn more on a tour...

by morgane1692 Updated Feb 15, 2004
    look at our shirts, they both have stripes!

We were pretty lucky, we signed up for our day tour around Mexico City and out to Teotihuacan, right there in our hotel lobby. A small group like ours, nine of us in a minivan with both Spanish- and English-speaking guides, was the perfect size. We got a lot of facts and figures thrown at us but we were always free to ask questions, and ask we did! Our tiring but fulfilling day was capped by a late lunch together at the restaurant here on the roadside leading out of town. Memories were made indeed!

Instant Answers: Teotihuacán

• Dec 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I strongly urge DO NOT take the public bus from Autobuses de Norte in Mexico City to Teotihuacan and back. Our bus was ROBBED by GUNMEN. We took the trip early August, 2012. Leaving the pyramids the bus stopped at a bus stop in San Juan de Teotihuacan, a local police officer got on and checked the bus. Then people boarded including the 3 robbers. Once the bus got on the highway they jumped up and started yelling at approximately 4 pm. One fired a small pistol in the air. They searched everybody at least 3 or 4 times taking all of our belongings, then had the bus driver stop on the highway by an overpass and got off. Nobody was hurt, but the driver never asked if anyone was okay, continued to make stops and went to the Autobuses Del Norte station WITHOUT reporting it. Many other similar accounts are posted on travel sites with the same pattern. In conclusion, it seems that the bus driver(s), other employees of this public bus line, and local police are involved for this to repeatedly happen.

Teotihuacán Transportation

Reviews and photos of Teotihuacán transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Teotihuacán sightseeing.