Morelia Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Morelia

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

Great baguettes!!: Panaderia Trico Alejandria

by AnnaLupilla Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is on the upper floor of Panaderia Trico right in the middle of Morelia's World Heritage. The staff was very friendly, the only thing I didn't like that much was, that it was kind of dark, but that's a Morelia-thing I guess, as everywhere I go, the light seems to be dimmed.

Favorite Dish: I had sopa tarasca which was excellent, I suppose this is the Michoacan-style of my beloved sopa azteca.
    I also had a baguette nautica with avocado, tuna, tomato, manchego cheese and onions which was delicious!!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Solar de Villagran: Wonderful local & Mexican Food...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Apr 4, 2011

I hadn't been to this restaurant in many many years, but I was happy to be back as Solar de Villagran used to be my favorite restaurant in Morelia when I was younger.

The food they serve here is rather Mexican (but there are several international dishes too), very tasty and comes in BIG portions. I remember my brother and I had to share a dish when we were kids because there was no way we could eat all of it individually, and we only ordered a main course -- no soup or side dishes. Sometimes we would order a dessert, but it was rather unusual. My mom would often order a cappuccino (with liquor, hmmm!!) instead, which by the way is not huge anymore but rather regular size.... but it still tastes GREAT.

We liked all of the stuff we used to eat here and the environment too: it was elegant in its decoration but not really formal, and there usually was a guy playing the piano making the atmosphere even better. It is a great place either for a family lunch, a business meal, and even a romantic dinner.

The restaurant is not located on the busiest part of town but rather towards the outskirts (south) and in a neighborhood which used to be peaceful but is much more active nowadays. It's surrounded by shopping centers but the area is still quiet and the house itself (hacienda-style with some plants & trees as decoration) is really nice and cozy and inviting.

Favorite Dish: They still serve tiny deep-fried (hard) beef tacos as an entree, which are really tasty. The Filete a la Tampiqueña is really good too, and my boyfriend liked the Enchiladas rojas very much, so I guess they must have been very tasty as well.

A beautiful restaurant with lots of tradition...

• naturechica's Profile Photo

La Casa del Portal: Another unique restaurant in morelia

by naturechica Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is located above what is said to be one of the first houses in town....located in el centro.
    It is full of antiques! U can enjoy dinner and a great view of morelia at the same time!

The restaurant is also a bar and store!! This is a great place to shop for the hard to buy for person!!!

Backpacks, and day packs are not allowed upstairs.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Cafe Europa: AWFUL treatment to the customers...!!

by Laura_Mexico Written Oct 4, 2009

We ended up in this place only because we were trying to find a spot to have a coffee or snack while we waited for the Saturday night firework show in downtown; this Cafe is advertised in many places (one of them is the free maps/brochures that you can grab at your hotel) but we would probably have not come here had it not been for the fact that it is in front of the Cathedral.

As it was to be expected, the whole area was crowded. All the tables (@ this cafe and the neighboring restaurants too) were taken and there was a long waiting list. A table became free at one point and we sat down but they asked us to stand up -and they weren't very nice about it- because there were people waiting before us. They also said there was a time limit and that people couldn't stay longer than 1 hour (maybe because the demand was unusually high because of the show), so we had to wait for about half an hour but in the end we got a table. Right after they told my sister in law that she could sit there, another one became available right beside it which she liked better so she moved. She then was practically yelled at by the "man" that was assigning the tables (who BTW came out from the business next door but I suppose the owners of the 2 businesses are the same since he had the authority to say who could/couldn't sit down at Cafe Europa) and was forced to go back to the original table she was given AND they even moved it behind a column, thus totally obstructing the view for us. That's what we were there for...! The guy was absolutely obnoxious about it and even said they wouldn't provide any service to us. I told him that we were not asking for freebies and we were going to PAY to be there, even though he had been rude to us twice, and that that was no way to treat customers.... and he very rudely replied that "there were other restaurants we could go to". I told him that we would most certainly go to those other places instead.

So they didn't even pay attention to us or asked whether we wanted to have something to drink/eat. On the other hand the show started shortly after and we just stood up and watched it from outside the cafe, then picked our stuff up and left without spending a cent in this place. I warn everyone because I don't know anyone who would enjoy being treated this way....... I guess there are other options which you could choose instead of this one.

Favorite Dish: We didn't get to order ANYTHING here, so I can't tell...!!! Definitely not recommendable to come here.

• Seniors
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

Cafe Catedral: Facing the Cathedral & main square

by Laura_Mexico Updated Sep 30, 2009

My man and I hit this place right after our arrival in town as we wanted to have a light lunch before the heavy dinner we were looking forward to having that night. We were staying in the downtown area so this is where we tried to find a decent place to eat. Then on our 2nd visit we brought our relatives here as the location was very convenient for them too.

The cafe has tables both in and outside (on the sidewalk) and it's fairly big and nice looking. It's on the ground floor under the Hotel Catedral and is across the street from the Cathedral (there are several other restaurants and cafes on these corridors so make sure you find the name of the right place). Their menu isn't too extensive and there are certain dishes that they only serve before noon (for breakfast), but there are still several options to choose from: local food, meat, fish, chicken, pasta... We ordered a salad each (his had chicken in it, mine had beef), as we thought this would be a light meal, but it was QUITE BIG indeed, and very tasty. We then had crepes for dessert, which were good but not great (and fairly big as well).

The prices are OK, although perhaps a bit higher than in other places because of its location. Credit cards are NOT accepted, only cash.

Favorite Dish: The uchepos (sweet corn tamales) with pork meat are fairly good if you like this kind of food. I don't really like sweet stuff along with my meat so it's not one of my favorite dishes but I did try it and it was good.

The tres leches cake was very tasty, it's a good option for dessert.

• Work Abroad

Meson Agustinos: A great local restaurant

by Laura_Mexico Updated Sep 29, 2009

My man and I walked by this place while strolling in downtown and he stopped to look at the menu displayed at the entrance. I guess he was mostly attracted to this place because of their reasonable prices as well as the fact that they had many local dishes available -- and some churros con chocolate too which he had been craving for. So after a couple of days he said he wanted us to have a late lunch there.....

We were welcomed by a waiter announcing that they had a sort of "happy hour" - which in fact lasts ALL day long on weekdays - and cocktails were 2x1. We weren't planning to drink alcohol but we ended up having 6 drinks (3 each). They were good! We then ordered our food, which we were very satisfied with as well. And then we had churros con chocolate for dessert so we didn't eat anything else for the rest of the day....!! The portions are just regular, not small but not excessive either, so an entree or soup and a main dish are enough for a fulfilling meal -- and then you might want to have a dessert too.

We both were pleased with the nice environment, the music, the friendly service and the opportunity to eat genuine Morelian cuisine. I do recommend this place and would definitely keep going back. On our 2nd visit (at night) there was this group of youngsters dressed in a viceregal style and playing typical Mexican songs with guitars and tambourines, which gave the whole place a very nice atmosphere.

NOTE: in Mexico you usually tip the waiters if you liked their service with an additional 10-15% of the final amount due as the service is never included in the bill, but even though this is not a fancy place they automatically charge you a 10% service fee (unusual in my country), which we were happy with anyway.... my man still left some more $$ because we liked the service very much. Credit cards are accepted.

Favorite Dish: Pozole rojo (it was quite tasty and the bowl was big enough but not huge, so you can easily eat all of it), corundas (local dish which is a plain flavor-less tamal served with cream and pork meat with sauce), and a wonderful chocolate con churros (for more information about churros, in case you're not familiar with them, please click here). Agustinos style chocolate is the best according to me, my man and my sister-in-law!

We also had some charales which are tiny fried fish served with sauce and tortillas, they were tasty but not my favorite out of all what I ate. However, it's a very local dish so you may want to try it. On our 2nd visit my man ordered "Enchiladas Agustinos" (filled with cooked chicken, topped with green sauce, cream & cheese) which were also VERY good.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, they have all cocktails (alcoholic) at half price (2x1) from Monday to Friday. The strawberry daiquiries they serve here are VERY good!!!

Rondalla group @ Agustinos My family after supper
    • Women's Travel

La Casa de la Arrachera: Nice Mexican Restaurant

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jun 2, 2008

Located in one of the main avenues of the city, La Casa de la Arrachera is a recent discovery for me but a good one.

I have been an arrachera lover for a while now (arrachera is a special cut of beef meat which you can only find in Mexico, thin, soft and juicy) and when I saw this place I thought it might be good to try it. I was just looking for a place to have lunch before driving back to Mexico City, and this seemed a fairly nice place... and it was! The decoration was very Mexican and colorful, the environment was nice (they even had live music, but maybe because it was Valentine's day) and the food was very good. Prices were somewhat high but in accordance with such kind of place. Service was just a little slow, as it is in most of the restaurants in a province town such as Morelia. Recommendable.

• Women's Travel

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Portales de San Agustin: The most wonderful chicken & enchiladas...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jun 2, 2008

Going out at night (not necessarily on weekends but that's mostly when people like to do it) for an outdoor dinner is very typical in Morelia. This concept is hard to explain, as people who aren't used to latin culture may not be familiar with it, but let's say this is like eating at an open-air market where all of the food stands sell basically the same stuff because that's what the typical dinner in Morelia includes.

During the daytime, this would be like any arched corridor around the big central yard of a church or an ancient building. But during the night - after 7 PM or so - it becomes a big open air restaurant formed by many mini-restaurants: there are people who come and cook delicious stuff which you can eat sitting at the wooden tables & chairs installed in this open space while watching people & cars pass by the surrounding streets. Each stand has its own tables (2-3 which can accomodate up to 10 people each) and the vendors will shout and try to convince you to eat at their stand (instead of the neighbor's). It's more or less like a rustic, open-air food court.

It's rather unimportant which stand you pick to eat at: of course the food from some stands will be better than others', but unfortunately there's no way to know this until you actually sit down and eat the food, and compare it to other cookers' after 2-3 nights of attending this place. Maybe the local people who come here very often already have their favorite spots, but for us tourists it's hard to know which one will offer the best food. So just pick the cleanest or the most crowded (or emptiest, up to you) stand and enjoy your meal -- it most probably will be just as tasty everywhere!

Favorite Dish: As I said, all of the stands will serve basically the same stuff: fried chicken with vegetables (potato and carrots, mostly) cooked with a slightly spicy sauce (not really hot though), and you can ask for enchiladas to complement. Enchiladas, for those who don't know this term, are corn tortillas dipped in hot sauce (usually red) and they can be served either stuffed with chicken, with cheese & onion on top, fried or plain, etc. These enchiladas do not have chicken inside because you're already eating fried chicken, but they make for a great complement.

For dessert, they have bunuelos: a fried & crunchy dough thin sheet served with warm syrup -- really yummy! Other dishes served here are corundas (corn tamales with cream on top), tostadas (flat hard tortilla shell with different toppings), etc. Sodas are available to drink, as well as hot coffee. The prices are fair (after all, you're eating on the street! But it is safe to eat here in general).

The whole experience of eating such typical food in the heart of town in the open air is a really nice cultural experience, and I'm sure the food will make you love it even more!

• Study Abroad

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

El Mago: Paradise for Fruit Lovers!

by AnnaLupilla Written Jan 14, 2006

The service was excellent and although I ran in their door exactly at 9 pm (closing hour), they still let me have a seat and were soooo friendly. The restaurant's decoration is 'fruity' all over: their shelves are full of fresh fruits of the seaons, and even their tablecloths are apples all over - sweet!
    Opening hours are from 8 am to 9 pm.

Favorite Dish: I had fruit salad which was simply delicious! And as it was so much, I had half of it packed to have it for breakfast today. Besides, I had 'agua de fresa' (=strawberry).

• lareina's Profile Photo

Restaurante Vegetariano Govindas: A Change of Cuisine

by lareina Updated Dec 20, 2004

We were so excited to find this place for a change of cuisine. This tiny upstairs Indian restaurant serves a choice of three set menus for lunch, about 45 pesos each. They bring your meal on a tray and every item has its own little bowl, which doesn't look like much at first, but actually fills you up. Some items were Indian and some were Mexican with an Indian flair, overall it was quite tasty. Try to get a seat near the window to watch the people passing below.

Lunch time

• bafgkm's Profile Photo

Cafe Acueducto: Have a cup of cafe!

by bafgkm Written Mar 27, 2004

Cafe, about 5 kinds of huevos, sandwiches, cakes, ....The service is amiable with warm smile. Why not have a cup of cofe in the afternoon here?

Favorite Dish: Maxicana huevo - the lady cooked it after I order it. I always love eggs in the morning.

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

El Rosario: freshly prepared simple Mexican food....

by marktynernyc Written Mar 4, 2004

We had lunch at one of the restaurants in the samll village in El Roasario - we started with freshly grilled nopales, hand pressed blue corn tortillas which were thick, chewy and slightly charred form the stove. With a dollop of a wonderful home made picante amarillo salsa, I was in heaven. I ordered pollo con mole, rice and beans (which was okay, the enchiladas looked better) and quesadillas with requeson (the cheese slightly tart), which were great - a couple cervesas - this meal hit the spot perfectly.

nopales, quesadillas....

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

Villa Montana: wonderful view of the city

by marktynernyc Written Mar 4, 2004

Located outside the historic district, in the mountains but what a view - I sipped Don Julio tequila (56.00) at sunset on the terrace overlooking the city, gazing at those evocative unmistakable Mexican mountains, watching the lights come on. The hotel and grounds are intimate and cozy.

Favorite Dish: For dinner I started with a lobster and pumpkin flower bisque touched with agave (70.00). Thick and creamy, warm not tongue burning. There were small pieces of agave on the bottom of the dish - which add a nice textural contrast to the silky sopa. For my entree - duck breast in a porto sauce with bacon wrapped asparagus and risotto with squash blossoms and wild mushrooms (170.00). Most of the dishes on the menu lean towards international instead of Mexican (unfortunately). I had a 1/2 bottle of cab. sav. X-A Domeq (100.00) For dessert I had a nahuatl avocado souffle (50.00) - a light green, airy, not too sweet confection. Service was attentive

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

Las Trojes: troje, a wood cabin typical of the region....

by marktynernyc Updated Mar 4, 2004

A restaurant housed in a troje, a wood cabin typical of the region - you'll need to take a cab. The main emphasis here is carne. Seems to be a popular suit and tie lunch place, but there was also casual.

Favorite Dish: As I was seated tortillas, salsa, limes, nopales, rojo and verde sauces, some raw vegetables and bread were placed on the table. I had queso adobera with a chipotle sauce (49.00), crema cilantro (36.00) and filet poblano (99.00). The queso adobera (semi firm cheese in a chipotle sauce) came with warm corn tortillas (no detergent smell) and guacamole - add a spoonful of nopales, a squeeze of lime - a nice appetizer. If crema cilantro sounds a bit overwhelmingly cilantro-ey, it wasn't. Does anyone else find similar notes between cilantro and tomatillos because I thought i detected some tomatillos also? Garnished with toasted sesame seeds and croutons - this was a smile producing sopa. I order the filet poblano rare - and it came rare - I should have ordered it medium rare. It was a thin filtet folded over with the poblano strips inside, smothered under a very light cheese sauce, a sprinkling of onion. The dish was a bit muddied for my taste. For dessert, postre flan de cajeto and espresso - which was okay. For wine - I had a half bottle of cabernet sav X-A Domeq (110.00)

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

La Azotea, Hotel Juaninos: view of the Cathedral...

by marktynernyc Updated Mar 4, 2004

The view of the cathedral is a knockout from here - a great place the day you arrive to have your jet-lag lunch. The restaurant is done in a mexican minimal modern tone - this is defintely a place to come for drinks as the sun sets.

Favorite Dish: Had both lunch and dinner here. Some of the dishes I had from the menu: dried poblano stuffed with requeson and crushed shrimp in a coriander sauce (60.00), pumkin flower and light poblano chili cream sopa (48.00), assorted Michoacan snacks: adobera (type of Panela cheese)- charales (small fish) - chile ancho with cream (68.00), smoked trout on a macadamian nut sauce (100.00), sopa tarasca (45.00), poblano stuffed with chese covered in puff pastry and tomato sauce (70.00), jicama in a tequila caramel sauce. All the dishes were presented stylishly. My favorite dishes - the pumkin flower and light poblano soup - a ying and yang of light yello and light green cream soup, warm without being scalding, the flavors fresh and light; the smoked trout on the macadamia sauce, which worked very well together. I also like the
    Michoacan snacks - especially the little silvery fishes, which were a little salty, briney, crispy. I tried a 1/2 bottle of Mexican Blanc de Blanes X-A Domeq (100.00) - which I thought had good structure. They also make a very competent margarita (46.00).

view from terrace at La Azotea

Instant Answers: Morelia

Comments

Morelia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Morelia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Morelia sightseeing.