Places on the Zocalo, Oaxaca de Juárez

by shdw100
  • leigh767's Profile Photo

Sushi Itto: Fusion Japanese sushi

by leigh767 Written Jan 14, 2008

I was told to avoid uncooked meats when traveling in Mexico, but I broke the rules here and there and tried this sushi outlet tucked indoors, just behind the outdoor cafés on the east side of the Zocalo. The gamble was good one, because Sushi Itto has some of the best fusion sushi that I have tried! prices are also very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the fresh made sushi that had some chipotle sauce. I tried to several other dishes as well and I would say that you really can't go wrong here. sorry no pictures, I ate it all up too fast!

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

la casa de la abuela: excellent food on the square

by susiemargare Updated Aug 5, 2007

traditional mexican food, some oaxaqueno dishes. my meal was $12, including one beer.

Favorite Dish: i had cecina con enfrijades (not sure about spelling, could be "enfrijodadas"), a LARGE slab of pork with a spicy rub. this came with a rolled tortilla filled with black beans and cheese on top.

the victoria beer is medium in taste, not light but not overwhelming either. the mexican coffee is black and very sweet; you will have no need for extra sugar.

• cybercutie's Profile Photo

Places on the Zocalo: Del Jardin

by cybercutie Written Dec 28, 2004

This place is right on the Zocala, it´s pretty good...I had breakfast here once (only fruit, so I can´t tell you much about the other dishes), and dinner here. Its great because you can eat outside and people watch at the same time. Great for a nosy person like me...:)

Favorite Dish: Remember, Oaxaca is all about mole, so if you are into trying all different kinds of this popular dish, you have hit the right place. This place focuses more on the chocolate mole, and although I am not a big fan of trying new foods, my friend had it and I did try it...not bad...

I had the tostadas, and they were huge and filled up with chicken and avocado and ...well...other stuff...geez, I wonder why I am not a food critic...

• shdw100's Profile Photo

I cannot remember :-(: Tortilla soup

by shdw100 Written Jun 18, 2003

We ate at this place on the zocalo where you can look down and see the people passing by. I cannot remember the name of it, so I will have to do some research. They had the best atmosphere for just people watching while you are eating. I would highly recommend the tortilla soup as that is authentic for Oaxaca. We also had a steak, which was really good as well.

Favorite Dish: Tortilla soup

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

I forgot...: Fool the tourists :-)

by IceBear7 Written Jan 20, 2003

It was a very nice evening with two nice German guys, on the first floor of this restaurant right at the zócalo. I don't know why but I actually ordered grashoppers... It was not disgusting, I ate it with lots of tortillas and guacamole.
    But I don't think I'll eat grasshoppers again, it's nothing special really.

What I still have not found out: is it really a traditional Oaxacan meal or are they just fooling the tourists and die laughing in the kitchen??

Instant Answers: Oaxaca de Juárez

Comments

View all Oaxaca de Juárez hotels