Zipolite Restaurants

Shambhala Entrance

Most Recent Restaurants in Zipolite

El Alquemista: Tastes of the World

Eating on the Beach in Zipolite

I really enjoyed my lunch at El Alquemista restaurant. I can't recall what I'd initially wanted to order, but I remember that it was too early in the day (maybe they hadn't turned on the pizza oven or something?). However, I was able to order pasta with creamy curry sauce and vegetables. The vegetables were just red bell peppers, but the creamy curry sauce was a real treat. After days of eating almost nothing but salad and fruit salad, I'd forgotten there were other flavors out there! The restaurant is located right on the beach and has tables in the sun, as well as the shade. There is a full bar and the most zen bathrooms I saw in Mexico. It's worth a visit!

• Spa and Resort

A Nice Place on the Beach: More Dreamy Fruit Salad

Eating on the Beach in Zipolite

Okay, I have a fruit salad problem. Deal with it. Besides La Choza, another great place to enjoy fresh, local fruit, yummy yogurt and crunchy granola is "A Nice Place on the Beach", which also doubles as a bar and hotel. Service here was a little bit slower than at La Choza, but the food was just as good. Their menu also includes lots of other dishes as well.

La Choza: Fruit Salad of My Dreams

Eating on the Beach in Zipolite

La Choza is right on Zipolite's main beach, and serves up a variety of different foods. I stopped by for lunch after a morning spent volunteering in the hot sun, and was appreciative of their willingness to serve me a gigantic fruit salad (some places won't cut up fruit for me after the breakfast hour- seriously?). Papaya, mango, pineapple, cantaloupe and banana were all cut up, covered in lovely yogurt and topped with crispy, crunchy, sweet granola. Delicious! The server was very friendly and very kind as well.

Shambhala: Naturally Mexican(ish)

Shambhala Entrance

Besides being a spiritual retreat and host of an epic, free New Years party, Shambhala also serves up some of the best food in Zipolite (if not THE best food in Zipolite). For my breakfast visit I had huevos oaxaquenas, which is eggs scrambled in a spicy tomato sauce, along with beans and potatoes. Wanting some fruit as well I opted for a smoothie made with fresh fruit and their house-made, thick, tangy yogurt. I credit that good bacteria with keeping my digestive track happy! When I had a chance to sample some of their dinner dishes I was also very impressed. The menu is varied and features food and flavors from around the world, all made with care. The restaurant is perched high atop a hill overlooking the beach, and is probably the most beautiful place to take in the view of Zipolite. Don't miss a meal (or two!) here!

• Spa and Resort

El 3 Diciembre: Vegetarian Situation

Zipolite

Located a block or two off Zipolite's main strip, El 3 Diciembre is the town's most famous (only?) vegetarian restaurant. Tables have been arranged on a patch of packed dirt as the owner's family cook up all sorts of vegetarian concoctions in their palapa-covered kitchen. I had the vegetarian special, which basically consisted of everything on the entire menu placed on a platter, covered in cheese and baked. The flavor was great but the grease level was off the charts and heating was a bit uneven. It might be worth sharing between two people, along with a salad or something.

(I know it's MEXICO and I'm supposed to chill out about hygiene and whatnot, but I should also add that I observed a waitress sneeze on her hands and then immediately pick up a plate of food, which she brought to a table of customers. Even if it's just for show I would like to see staff keep their hands clean! It's hard enough for foreigners to adjust to the local water without also having to worry about germs from human mucus!)

Palapa Katy: Family Restaurant

Palapa Katy Menu

Walking down the beach on our first morning in Zipolite, we were struck by a sudden desire to consume huge amounts of fresh fruit. We stopped at the first place we walked past- "Palapa Katy" Comida and Cenas. Nothing more than a beachfront shack, this restaurant's menu offered a full selection of breakfast favorites, most of which were not available. Attempts to order were further hindered by the fact that we seemed to have interrupted the family's morning activities: sitting around, doing nothing, looking at one another and ignoring customers. But we would not be deterred- we wanted fruit, and we wanted it NOW! Finally we were able to order "Hot Kakes & Fruta", which is Spanish for "pancakes from mix and cantaloupe". Pancakes from mix and cantaloupe tastes a lot better with a side of fresh ocean air and sand at your toes, so we couldn't really complain. Still, there are better options.

Comedor Alex: Roadside Restaurant

Comedor Alex

Most of Zipolite's restaurants are at the west end of the beach, but our hotel was at the east end. So, on our first night, we wandered a few meters down the road and stopped at the first place that was open- Comedor Alex. With all the trappings of a classic Mexican hole in the wall, Comedor Alex served up lots of meat and seafood dishes for my friend, and a decent salad for me. Prices were cheap and service was friendly. I'm not sure what made this restaurant special enough to be noted in the Lonely Planet, but it was perfectly fine.

Instant Answers: Zipolite

Comments

Zipolite Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Zipolite restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zipolite sightseeing.