Cholula Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cholula

• Salad and Sandwiches: Near the UDLA

by danzer04 Written Jan 12, 2007

There is a place near the UDLA, right outside of campus. I can't remember the exact location, but it's near the dorm which is off campus, on the street that you can walk down to get to the Baskin Robins. It's a little place that's pretty open, it's called something like "Sandwiches and Salads," and has FANTASTIC food! I was there studying in '04 and my friends and I went there all the time to get tortas, we always called it 'Eduardo's' because that's the name of the owner. He is a great guy, super friendly and will take care of you. Get there if you're in the area!!
    Another favorite of ours was a place nearing the pyramid heading down from the UDLA, called Karma Bagels. Try the pizza bagel, it was excellent!

• Study Abroad

• ronaldpk's Profile Photo

Roasted grasshoppers: Bug tasting

by ronaldpk Written Mar 22, 2006

Roasted grasshoppers as a snack!!!

Why not try bugs? A local woman on the footsteps of the pyramids winked at me and gave me a roasted grasshopper to taste. I found it a bit soury, fish-like taste but I rushed to buy a small bag for 15 pesos as I always wanted to taste them as most "civilized" people consider them disgusting and non-edible. Quite the opposite - they have more proteins than you can find in any meat or dairy products and are fat-free. Except that they are not so tasty but you can eat them with a bit of Tabasco sauce. The woman laughed as she probably thought another crazy Gringo that tries to go local!

Favorite Dish: Pan-Roasted Grasshoppers
    Ingredients

? kg grasshoppers
    juice of 1 lemon
    salt
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    Preparation

Remove the legs, head, wings and guts of the grasshoppers. Pan-roast the bodies over a high heat for about 10 minutes or until they turn red. Add the lemon juice, salt and garlic and serve immediately.
    Notes

Although delicious on their own, grasshoppers can also be served with mashed avocado and tortillas. Chilli can be added to the pan during cooking to make a spicier dish.

Grasshoppers are eaten daily in Mexico but are particularly popular in Oaxaco in the south. They are traditionally collected by dragging a bag along the ground and catching them as they jump.

Grasshoppers are very nutritious, being high in protein and low in fat. They should be cooked thoroughly to avoid eating any parasites.
    Warning !

All the recipes given here are based on traditional dishes eaten by people over many generations. There are small risks when eating insects, so it is recommended that:

* Nobody with an allergy to shellfish, chocolate or dust should try these recipes.
    * All insects should be prepared exactly as described and thoroughly cooked before being eaten.

• JeSuisJill's Profile Photo

I don't remember as always: I loved the atmosphere, service and vibe

by JeSuisJill Written Jan 19, 2006

I LOVED this place. It was a local spot walking distance from the ruins across from a Park-type area. They had fried goodies up front that you could order to take-away OR go inside and sit down.

Favorite Dish: I loved the Mole and the salsa verde.
    I ordered TRIPE by accident and was horrified and sent it back! The menu did NOT say intestines!
    I also liked this fried vegetable thing with squash blossoms -- I don't remember the local name for this thing but I liked it. Check out the photo below.

• i don't remember!: anything on the zocalo

by marigold33 Written Jul 21, 2003

I can't remember the names of the cafes and restaurants along the zocalo, I just remember that it was tasty and fun. There was a restaurant on the other side of the street that was just too much fun, I guess it helps to be an American girl, but the chef and the owner came out to talk to us about America, and gave us free tequila to boot.

Favorite Dish: Chalupas! Just tasty, nothing like the ones at Taco Bell. Any more than that, and I'd just ruin it for you....

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Cholula

Comments

Cholula Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cholula restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cholula sightseeing.