Cuetzalán del Progreso Travel Guide

Cuetzalán del Progreso Restaurants

• sacdrummer99's Profile Photo
    my cook and waitress

by sacdrummer99 Written Mar 24, 2005

The delicious smells from the open air food vendors were overwhelming. Central Mexico's food is diverse and varried owing its roots to the local indigeneous cultures as well as to French, Arab and Spanish influences. ( In Puebla my favorite foods are Taco's arabes, Chiles en nogada and of course Mole.) To try and explain the flavors and aromas of these incredible fusions of new and old world cooking would not do them justice, suffice to say that I have spent my whole life eating what I thought was "Mexican" food only to find out it's really more Texas food. Although many of the food vendors' stalls looked a bit dicey, as if to say "Moctezuma barfed here", I plunged right in and ordered up a nice batch of tlacoyos con salsa verde y queso cotija. ( OK this one I will try to describe, they are deep-fried little corn tartlets filled with black beans, covered in a tomatillo sauce with white, crumply cheese and are so much better than anything I have ever eaten in the States.) Some of the locals commented on a "gringo" white man eating at the communal tables and we talked as well as we could with each other, I in my broken Spanish, they in even more broken English.(And my Spanish is BAD) It was a great lunch, great company and even better food. Lunch (including beverage) was 23 pesos, about two dollars. At this point I should dispell some of my assumptions that may be shared by other travelers to Mexico, Especially Central and Southern Mexico.

• Eco-Tourism

Cuetzalán del Progreso Warnings and Dangers

• sacdrummer99's Profile Photo
    So thats why all the churches

by sacdrummer99 Updated Mar 24, 2005

After a wonderfull breakfast of yoghurt and some "frutas" I had never seen before along with pan deluc y cafe we drove 150 kilometres through some of the most tortured road and beautifull sub-tropical jungle I had yet to witness. I have traveled Hawaii extensivly and I live in California, so I am used to torturous, winding roads, Right? Wrong! The only road I can think of that is similar to this is the road to Hana on Maui. I will just say that on MOST one and half lane roads people don't tend to do much passing. Ha! At the same time some mad pesero driver full of pulqued locals is driving in the mud on the side of the road to pass me, I look up to see a line of three autobuses heading towards me in my lane passing the most decrepit V.W. beetle, partially held together by rope, twine and bits of rusting wire. I pull over and let the pesero and the auto busses fight it out. Amazingly enough the pesero wins! I have since seen this exciting game of "chicken" played out many times since, but always marvel at the courage and insanity of the drivers. Although I have never actually seen a "head-on" at the time it happened, the roads have many a memorial in the form of broken and burnt out wrecks that testify to the losers of this madness.

Instant Answers: Cuetzalán del Progreso

Comments

Cuetzalán del Progreso Travel Guide
Map of Cuetzalán del Progreso