Akumal Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Akumal

• whitneyone's Profile Photo

Lol Ha: Craving a Burger?

Looking out from Lol Ha

This one is known as the Grand Daddy of the Akumal Restaurants, and it's our favorite.
    Huge Palapa with inside tables, outside tables, beach chairs and the beach right there.
    A little more expensive than La Buena Vida, but I always feel like, and I always do, spend hours here. For one, the food is huge, 2nd, the view is so grand. Everyone is so laid back here, you can't help but just slow down.
    Everything is good, but the Lol Ha Burger alone is worth the trip. chees, chiles, mushrooms, avocado. We always forget, you can split one and be just fine.
    don't miss this place. really.
    Even the bathrooms, under an huge cabana are cool!
    Updated 2007. I still go here at least twice a trip--and i always get the burgers, despite the price increase (it is big enough for two, I am not kidding.

Favorite Dish: It's all about the dang Burgers for me--and a good happy hour.

Lucy's: How Shrimp Tacos are meant to be

Ya Gotta Love Lucy's

Food in Akumal can run up a tab pretty quick. You're not only paying for the food, but for the atmosphere and the ocean front views.
    So where to get a cheap lunch?
    Lucy's!
    Just across from the super chomak, inside the arch. Two shrimp tacos 3.00..and they are to DIE for!
    Plus Empanadas...3 for 3.50!!
    Thats a good meal for two for just over 10 bucks. Worth every penny.
    Lucy is a good soul too, who works with animal rescue, so please donate to the cause of the beach dogs.
    2007 update...prices have risen a little, but its still one of my faves. Never miss it! Try the ice cream also!

Turtle Bay: Breakfast of Akumal

me full and happy

I had heard all about the french toast with pecan maple syrup and bananas..but it was worth all the talk...
    however
    the huevos rancheros were the best EVER.
    Would eat here every day to try everyhing

Updated 2007. Still great, and still breakfast and bakery worthy without a doubt!

La Lunita: "Finest" dining In Akumal

Happy and Oh So Full

Just because it's nice, doesnt mean you have to wear shoes. A table on the sand will bring hermit crabs to your toes!! Just know that in advance and you wont be freaked out.
    Great food. Great experience.
    My favorite meal and ambiance.
    Constantly refered to at the most romantic restaurant in Akumal.
    I will not disagree

Updated 2007. Getting pricey and now getting mixed reviews. When they are on, they are on--when they are having an off night, there is just no getting around it.

Favorite Dish: calamari is calamari right?
    Wrong. Try it here, it's awesome.
    And the Huilocoche Empendas were great too...
    The ranchero steak was perfect

Share the coffee with kahula and xctabentun.
    It packs quite the wallop.

Loncheria: Atmosphere is NOT everything

by whitneyone Updated Nov 15, 2007

Your menu prices in pesos

A lot of people complain about the lack of cheap eats in Akumal. We'll here's ONE solution. Connected to the Super Chomack market, this is nothing but a counter and some chairs...underneath a palapa roof, and some good talent in the kitchen for the things that hit the spot!
    Updated 2007---ya still can't lose by eating here. Great food, great prices, no atmosphere. It does not matter.

Favorite Dish: We watched them peel the avocados to make fresh guacamole. We ordered the pork tacos and the Poc Chuk...(a Mayan Style Pork)I think they were cooked the same way, and both were delicious!
    It was raining while we were there, and that roof kept us totally dry while we lunched and had a shot of the Mayan Honey Liquer we bought at the Super Chomak market next door.

Oscar Y Lalos: Save up some cash and make the trip to solimon bay

Big Bay. One restaurant

Oh boy. I had heard about this place, but never really pictured it like this. One huge bay...one little restauarant on it.
    That is it.
    That is Oscar Y Lalo's.
    The lost 80 palms to Hurricane Emily..
    The replanted 200 more.
    this place is great.
    A bit pricey, but worth it, just for the view.
    foods good too!

Updated 2007--they just moved from the beach to the 307. Half the beauty of this restaurant is the view of the bay. That's gone, and I cannot imagine spending the high prices we paid before just to look at that bay---which now is not on the bay.

Favorite Dish: Conch in garlic and butter
    We split that and an order of chicken taquitos to keep the bill down.
    Both were outstanding.
    In fact, best conch I've ever had.

La Buena Vida

by whitneyone Updated Nov 15, 2007

La Buena vida from the Beach!

It's just good cheap food with a great view! Even from the tree houses on the property!
    Climb at your own risk!
    Updated 2007---the menu keeps changing and the prices keep going up, but it's still a great place place of lunch, the views and happy hour.

Favorite Dish: Fish tacos, Shrimp Tacos, guacamole!

• Diving and Snorkeling

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Lol Ha: Great breakfast

by kyoub Written Jul 31, 2004

Beachside dining

This restaurant was right across from our cabana.
    It is a large, open air, thatched roofed dining room that sits up on stilts above the sand.
    Great food and friendly service.

Favorite Dish: Mexican scrambed eggs. Seafood.
    Flaming dishes.

• Yax Che: Maya Mundo

by oakdruid Written Jul 23, 2007

This is an amazing Mayan restaurant just off the main pedestrian walkway.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken Pibil was exellent cooked in a Banana leaf. The fish with bitter orange (not really bitter, but that's what its called) was wonderful. Everything was done just right. The Nal (corn on the cob) couldn't compare to sweet corn in the midwest, but everything else was great.

La Cueva del Pescador: Really fresh

by whitneyone Updated Nov 15, 2007

Looked too much like fish

Dailly catches served nightly.
    The mini lobsters are mini, but mighty good.
    We also got a whole fish, but after all the snorkeling I just could not eat what looked like something I had photographed tha day.
    The sopa de lima was not good.
    The water a little surly, and the place was HOPPIN at 11 at night.

Updated 2007---the fish with tequila cream sauce alone is worth the trip.
    Lobsters are now 20 dollars. I gladly pay it. Always a great experience.

Favorite Dish: the mini lobsters at 15 bucks a pop

• whitneyone's Profile Photo

Que Onda: Italian? In Akumal?

by whitneyone Updated Nov 15, 2007

We were in such a mood for shrimp! And we found it in many of the pastas at Que Onda.
    Very nice ambiance, sort of built around the pool and cabanas of the hotel there (can't remember it's name)
    Location is one block off the beach so we imaginied it would be quite hot there, even at night, but it was not bad at all!

2007 update--we still never miss it...better for dinner than lunch.

Favorite Dish: We had Pasta Marabel (the name of the owner) which was very good, but it was the viva Mexico which was great! Linguine with shrimp, light peppers, nice kick of a spice in a white wine sauce. Nice garlic "toast" which was a very thin crispy style

• santa_fe_mike's Profile Photo

Turtle Bay: Best in Akumal Centro

by santa_fe_mike Updated Feb 8, 2010

Turtle Bay is our favorite place to eat--breakfast, lunch and dinner-- in Akumal Centro. The burger is superior to Lol Ha in my professional opinion (restauranteur for 30-years), but there is no beach view. The owners and servers are extremely friendly and helpful. The smoothies are really great also! We've been visiting Akumal for 20 years and although Turtle Bay isn't that old, IIRC, everything I've ever ordered has met or exceeded my expectations. Looking forward to another visit in early March 2010 ;-)

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburger!

• Beaches

Mango Cafe: Beautiful spot to start your day

by whitneyone Written Jul 11, 2005

the beach at mango cafe

We had heard a lot of good things about this place, so we were kind of sad when we got there so late in the morning that they only had one tortilla left to make a breakfast burrito, which was ok, but not great.
    The ham a cheese croissant was very nice.
    the view makes everything better!

• Lol Ha: Bad Pizza

by oakdruid Written Jul 23, 2007

This has a nice location, right on one of the most beautiful beaches on the coast

Favorite Dish: The food is not good. We are always dissapointed when we eat here. The pizza was burned on the bottom and not cooked on the top.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Lancheria Akumalito: Great chicken tacos!

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 18, 2014

Very convenient to the entrance of Akumal Beach. They have outdoor seating around a bar style counter. They do take some time to take your order and I ended up going around the bar to stick my head into the kitchen to place my order. Nice selection but I was in a rush and just ordered some chicken tacos.

The food came out very fast. It also tasted very good! You get three tacos and a small amount of guacamole. The dish cost only 75 pesos. A great deal.

Definitely the place to eat when visiting Akumal.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Akumal

Comments

Akumal Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Akumal restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Akumal sightseeing.