Akumal Travel Guide

• Green Turtle at 70 feet 5 minutes off shore
    Green Turtle at 70 feet 5 minutes off...
    by Xelly
    Yal-Ku Lagoon
    by Dabs
    Los Ruinas de Tulum
    by upsouthvolleyball

Akumal Things to Do

• Pablo Bush Romero Memorial Park

Pablo Bush Romero is the founder of Akumal. He was born in Mexico City and was an experienced adventurer and outdoors-man. The town was founded in 1958 primarily as a SCUBA diving base and community.This little park is between two beautiful home, common along this road overlooking Half Moon Bay. There is a path that leads to the sea where you can...

• Centro Ecologico Akumal

The Ecological Center in Akumal does a great job educating the public about conservation of the environment. Their focus is on Green and Loggerhead Sea Turtles that frequent the area.They offer a number of programs, some are extended stay volunteer programs (minimum 2 months). These programs are geared toward protecting nesting female sea turtle...

• Akumal Beach - Beautiful calm water!

The beach at Akumal is beautiful but more specifically, it is the water and lack of waves. Unlike other beaches around riviera maya, Akumal has a reef or barrier just off shore. You can see in the photos where the waves break. Because of this there are no waves near the beach however some vegetation does grow on the sandy bottom. But it is not much...

• Yal-Ku Lagoon

Yal-Ku is a narrow inlet through which fresh water traveling via underground rivers reaches the ocean. The lagoon has many small islands and areas where wildlife, flora, and fauna thrive. The primary activity at Yal-Ku is snorkelling. One of the things that makes the Yal-Ku park so unique and beautiful are all of the great statues they've added...

• Green Turtles haven.

I never seen any turtle here, maybe it´s possible to see some during the night at the rigth season...but this place is a nesting place for green turtles. There are also some environmental associations in the area. So if you´re tired of the hords of all-inclusive resorts guys, this could be a good option.

• Zip Line through the Jungle

We booked a trip through Aveturas Maya called "Tulum Extreme" that was a BLAST!! It included a zip line, a rappel, swimming in an underground ceynote and a visit to the ruins in Tulum. As a couple of middle-aged women who'd never done anything like this before, we were afraid we might wet ourselves on the zip-line, but were surprised to find, it...

Akumal Hotels

Akumal Restaurants

• Great chicken tacos!

Very convenient to the entrance of Akumal Beach. They have outdoor seating around a bar style counter. They do take some time to take your order and I ended up going around the bar to stick my head into the kitchen to place my order. Nice selection but I was in a rush and just ordered some chicken tacos.The food came out very fast. It also tasted...

• Best Coconut Shrimp!

This restaurant is not fancy, but it has fantastic fresh food, prepared at the time you order! The owners take pride in Tequilaville from the food to being the cleanest restaurant in Akumal!! It is in the village of Akumal not on the beach side. So you get the chance to meet some local mexicans! The variety of the menu is great, from homemade...

• Best in Akumal Centro

Turtle Bay is our favorite place to eat--breakfast, lunch and dinner-- in Akumal Centro. The burger is superior to Lol Ha in my professional opinion (restauranteur for 30-years), but there is no beach view. The owners and servers are extremely friendly and helpful. The smoothies are really great also! We've been visiting Akumal for 20 years and...

Akumal Transportation

• by wyattk Written May 19, 2005

When I was in Akumal, at the Akumal beach resort (little plug, this place is excellent, lot of europeans) I used the local buses. They are basically Econoline vans with AC. My girlfriend and I used these to get to Playa Del Carmen and back, it was very easy.

They travel between Tulum and Playa del Carman, and fill themselves up, you will share seat with a few otehr tourists, but mostly the locals (very friendly and helpful for us non spanish speaking Canadians). To catch one all you have to do is go out to the highway and stand there, and maybe give a little wave to the van.

They are very cheap at around 20 pesos (if i remeber correctly, this was in sept. 2004). At that rater they beat taxis (100 pesos to get to the some of the same areas)

• School Holidays

Akumal Shopping

• Best selection in town

This supermarket has the best selection in town. Compared to El Pueblito, this market has more option and even has fresh baked goods. They also have souvenirs and water sport items you mat need for the beach. Prices are in line with a market at a tourist location. Definitely cheaper than I expected.

• Good location with good amount of...

This is a nice little shop that has a good selection of food, snacks and toiletry needs. They also have some souvenirs and conveniently located. Prices are a little high but not bad as there is competition directly across the street.

• Akumal Hotels

15 Hotels in Akumal

Akumal Local Customs

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

by Kaspian Updated Apr 3, 2005

Akumal is very protective of its natural environment, a fact they stress often. They are especially concerned about the preservation of turtles and coral. Coral is extremely important to the ecosystem and it is extremely fragile. Here are some tips to keep in mind while in Akumal:

- Don't kick up sand with your diving fins, this suffocates coral.
    - Wear a T-shirt instead of sun block when swimming--tan lotion kills coral.
    - Don't touch, stand on, or kick the coral.
    - Turtles are shy animals and increased tourist activity has reduced successful turtle nesting. Please go into the nesting areas only with a qualified guide.

Yal-Ku - Don't Poison the Fish (2005)
    • Beaches
    • National/State Park

Akumal Warnings and Dangers

• Beware Dishonest salesman

There is a salesman named Jorge Penkoff working at Sireni's resort selling timeshare. He used to have a RE business in Playa del Carmen and is now being sued for fraud and theft as he stole $15,000 from a foreigner, and is also being evicted from his home for unpaid rent. Do not buy anything, give him money or listen to any of his lies. There are...

• Safety in the Riviera Maya coast.

Safety in the Riviera Maya coast. Many people have contacted us recently about safety concerns. The national US media has cast a dark cloud over an entire country based on incidents and problems that are primarily along the Mexico-US border. The Rivera Maya is fine, there are no drug wars happening. We have staff on the coast with families; their...

• Robbery and threats

During 4 vacations to Akumal, members of our group were robbed three times. My teenage daughter and her friend were actually in front of our rented accomodations when someone climbed onto the balcony, entered through an unlocked door and stole cash ($750). Frighening. That same year, two expensive dive suits, left to dry on a porch, disappeared....

Akumal Tourist Traps

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Updated Apr 21, 2014

There are a number of people that travel with their own snorkel, mask and flippers. However, rarely do people travel with their own life jacket. I had my own equipment without life jacket and was told by someone claiming to be with the research facility and with the company that organizes tours to swim with the sea turtles that I could not use my equipment unless I had a life jacket. I would have to rent one from them. Of course they would not let me rent just the life jacket, it was a package deal costing 200 pesos!

After a few minutes I noticed many people snorkeling off the beach without life jackets. I proceeded to go with my equipment and no one stopped even though there was a local police officer overseeing the beach on an ATV.

Seems this is a scare tactic to boost sales. Although, a life jacket is preferred if you want to be safe and take photos.

• Beaches

Akumal What to Pack

• by wyattk Written May 19, 2005

Luggage and bags: -Cheapo beach bag
    -Extra luggage for bring things back
    -Money bag if you want to be careful (I used my pocket)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: -Sandles! Make sure they have been worn, so you know you won't get blisters. Test them out in water before you go. I didn't and I paid for it.
    -Very light breezy clothing.
    -A shirt that you don't mind getting wet (for snorkling, it stops you from burning, and if you like me you'll be out there for a few hours)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: -Any medications you need of course, not the best place to buy them.
    -Painkiller (motrin ect.), allergie, Immdium (very valuable, I got pretty ill, lots of different bacteria from home), peptobismal, any personal hygine items you may reqire.

Photo Equipment: -Unless your serious, I would say the smaller the better, when your touring you wil be hot and won't want to carry a camera bag.
    - Film, buy this at home, you can get better brands like fujifilm, and for a better price.
    -Underwater camera, if yours cannot go underwater buy a few disposables, at least 2. There are tons or wonderful things under the sea, and you WILL want a picture of a sea turtle(or berricudas) to show the family!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: -Sunglasses, bio degrable sunscreen( They don't let you use anything else in a lot of palces, you can buy it in mexico, but it's easyer to have it when you get there so you don't have to worrry), a good book for relaxing days.

Miscellaneous: A spanish elglish phrase book might help, I had one and never used it, since in such a resort like area they usually spoke enough english to get by.

• School Holidays
    • Spa and Resort

Akumal Off The Beaten Path

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

by Kaspian Updated Apr 12, 2011

Don Pablo Bush Romero (1905 - 1998) was the head of the Mexican National Archaeology Department, a writer, photographer, big game hunter, lecturer, explorer, sportsman, Ford dealership owner, businessman, humanitarian, pioneer of Quintana Roo tourism, and the "Founder of Akumal". He created Mexico's CEDAM Club (Aquatic Exploration Archaeological Club of Mexico) with the ambition of "Serving their country and mankind in preserving those riches found in the coastal waters of Mexico". He wrote about the deeds of the club in his book, "Under the Waters of Mexico" (copies of this book are rumoured to be available in Akumal and it is supposed to be a great read). The club involved itself with identifying, raising, and preserving items from shipwrecks along the Mayan Coast--from Cancun to Tulum. Romero also wrote about the history of the explorers, the Spanish galleons, the native Mayans, and the pirates. The CEDAM Subaquatec Museum (locally called the "Shipwreck Museum") is located at the open mall in Puerto Aventuras.
    The park itself is in the south rim of Half Moon Bay in north Akumal, beside Casa Luna. It is a small piece of land full of small (but growing) coconut palms.
    Poor old Don Pablo, I don't know what exactly people are supposed to do in his memorial park--there aren't any benches, there's not enough clearing to play ball or frisbee, and you can't even access the beach because of a line of thick thorn bushes!

Pablo Bush Romero Memorial Park (2005)
    • Archeology

Akumal Sports & Outdoors

• Snorkelling in Akumal Bay

Snorkelling off the beach at Akumal Bay is great. As well as the usual multi-coloured fish you can swim with turtles, rays and barracudas. Not that I really wanted to swim with the barracuda (about 4ft long) more like swim away from it! The visibility is usually pretty good, even when it is choppy, you just have to swim out from the beach a bit....

• the best for all levels....snorkel/scuba

The bay in Akumal is "right there" just steps from the hotel/condo. Great dive shop with equiptment for all types of undersea adventure. Even had something for the "snorkeling impared" like me...a kick board with a mask fixed into the board so you could float and see! People pay big bucks to sail down from Cancun to this bay to snorkel My husband...

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Akumal? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Akumal Favorites

• upsouthvolleyball's Profile Photo

by upsouthvolleyball Updated Jul 17, 2007

Favorite thing: We decided last November to go and see the Ruins at Coba and Tulum. Akumal seemed like a great spot to locate and the preparations were on. We decided on the middle of May (19-26) to avoid the crowds and beat the rainy season. (It was 89 with the occasional fluffy cloud in the sky every single day we were there!). I bought Frommers, Rough Guide and Lonely Planet Yucatan versions and read them religiously until I had worn out the pages pertaining to the areas I hoped to visit. I took an 8 week survival Spanish course. I read “A Forest of Kings”. I bought mapchicks map and I spent hundreds of hours on the internet researching different areas and subjects. I spent another 100 hours reading everything I could find on the locogringo web site!

Driving in Mexico: Topes, La Policia and Pemex.
    Topes are triangle shaped speed bumps. Go Slow! Even the crazies out there doing 150km in the 100km come to a stop at the Topes. We drove over 600 km and never banged a single Tope.
    La Policia and la mordida? Saw very few policeman and the ones we did looked they were busy and going somewhere more important than hustling a tourist for 300 pesos. We always got the gas we paid for at the Pemex stations. No quick change / sleight of hand or short pumps experienced.

The Water, the food, la tourista.
    We stayed at the Hotel Akumal Caribe. It was clean, neat, had cold air conditioning, a small refrigerator and a great view from the balcony. Our Maids had the sweetest “Holas” I’m certain I will ever hear. There was 5 gallons of fresh/drinkable water in your room and fresh flowers at all times. Everyone, everywhere drinks bottled water. It’s cheap, usually very cold, comes in about 7 different size bottles, no problemo.
    I haven’t eaten Mexican since I’ve been back because I know I will be so disappointed. All of the food we ate was fantastic. Neither of us had any digestive distress at any time.

Fondest memory: Seeing the sights: Tulum, Coba and Muyil.
    Anxious to get out into the jungle and see the Yucatan we set out for Coba. We were one of the first cars to arrive at Coba. Due to the large area and potentially confusing trails we got Mario at the gate ($45 US with a $10 US tip) to walk us around. When we got to Nohoch Mul there was nobody climbing the highest pyramid in the Yucatan. By the time I had climbed to the top there were probably 200 others going up, down or getting ready to make the ascent. The view from the top is worth the effort. I just wish there wasn’t so much trash left on top. Empty water bottles? Come on folks, show a little respect.
    We left Coba by noon and headed to Tulum for some lunch. We shopped a little in Tulum for t-shirts and jewelry. My limited Spanish came in handy as I was good with the numbers and did a little bartering when we purchased several items from one store. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the Spanish, the shop keepers will put the number on a calculator for you to decide if they are charging too much.
    Muyil is 25 kilometers past Tulum headed south on 307. Muyil is small but the Castillo there is a marvel of architecture. I think it cost maybe $15 US for us both to get in and wander around. We were the only people there the entire time.
    Everyone says to go to Tulum early and beat the crowds. We were parking in the lot by 8:05 am. Being there that early allowed us to get the pictures we had gone to take. We did not employ a guide here as the park is easy to navigate. By the time we left an hour later there were probably a thousand people in the park.
    Summary: The vacation was superb. The food and weather were fantastic and the people were so friendly and helpful. Our intention was to come and go quietly, enjoy the beauty and laid back pace of life while sampling the food and culture. We were very successful. We hope to go back one day and find Akumal completely unchanged.

Beach at Tulum The Castillo at Muyil Spoonbill in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Los Ruinas de Tulum Nohoch Mul at Coba
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Instant Answers: Akumal

Comments

Explore Deeper into Akumal
Really fresh
"Finest" dining In Akumal
Breakfast of Akumal
Restaurants
Save up some cash and make the trip to solimon bay
Atmosphere is NOT everything
Cole Slaw?
Bad Pizza
Aktun Chen
Things to Do
"Cave with an underground river inside"
Downtown Akumal
Xel-Ha Ecological Water Park
Town of Akumal
Something spooky...and yet harmless
Things to Do
It's like you are in the worlds best aquarium
Amazing
Snorkel
Things to Do
Beautiful spot to start your day
Restaurants
Turtle Nest and a storm's a comin'
Enjoy the views
Lagoon
Great breakfast
Snorkeling at Yalku Lagoon
Things to Do
Don't miss the ruins at Coba.
Map of Akumal