Local traditions and culture in Cancún

Folklore in Cancun

Most Viewed Local Customs in Cancún

• solopes's Profile Photo

Folk dances

by solopes Updated Sep 2, 2012

We saw folk dancing... everywhere. Good!
    To be honest, I must confess that the best show was at our hotel - a large group, immense variety of dances from pre-Colombian times to Spanish influences, Mariachi, of course, and we ended dancing with them. Well... at least trying to!

Folklore in Cancun
    • Music

• keida84's Profile Photo

Hand over heart

by keida84 Written Jun 16, 2007

The Mayan culture embraces a custom of placing their hand over their heart, giving either a nod of the head or a slight bow. This is their way of greeting, leaving or thanking someone. Interpreted it means "from my heart.) It is such a lovely gesture and one that should be incorporated into all societies.

Quote from the Mayan Tribal Elders, "We have only one Sun to shine upon us equally, one air that we breath and gives us life, one water that we drink and becomes blood in our veins and all live on Mother Earth. She feeds us, she holds us. Brothers and Sisters of all colors, together united in meditation to make conscience to the men in power, governors, politicians, business people: no more war, no more contaminating bombs, no more death. Together we can make a difference.”

The Sun rises on a new day
    • Spa and Resort

• Common Courtesy

by strikestar Written Jul 15, 2006

I was on a missionary trip to inner city Cancun in May 2005. We were mostly in region 103. Pretty poor neighborhood with stick houses. The houses may have plumbing and it may not but I did notice that the people are friendly. We learned that you greet everyone who enters a room and you say goodbye to them when they leave. It seems like common sense to be courteous but some people are not or just prideful. It can be very offensive not to speak to someone there in a certain setting. This goes for children, elderly, clergy whomever. You don't just greet those you like or know or those that look like you. I guess it was a lesson on kindness. I'm a friendly person and still I learned a lot. The people may kiss you on the cheek also men with men and women with women.

• Work Abroad
    • Religious Travel

• Using Pay-phones

by joelaptop Updated Aug 2, 2005

Their pay-phones take cards not coins. The only coin phone I had seen was at the airport. You buy a Ladetel/Telmex card from a local shop like Oxxo. The increments are in pesos. Raise phone off hook. Insert the card the way the arrow says. Wait for the machine to accept the card. To call a USA number dial "001+ area code + phone number"

Ladetel/Telmex phone
    • Business Travel

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Harmless Chatter

by Etoile2B Written Feb 2, 2005

As a woman, be prepared for men to catcall and talk to you on the street. They're completely harmless. It's just a cultural difference. Smile and walk away if you feel uncomfortable.

Also everyone wants to sell something to you so people will approach you constantly trying to show you their wares, give you a ride in their taxi, get you into their nightclub, etc. If you're not interested just politely respond "no gracias". No harm no foul.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Its a Bread!!

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 19, 2004

Its always interesting to see the differences in words that are normal in one language, but have a very different connotation in other languages.

Here, Sarah is enjoying a leisure stroll in Cancun, and we run into a Bimbo on the road! Luckily, this is just bimbo bread!!!

Sarah poses next to a Bimbo (truck)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Greetings on Isla Mujeres

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 19, 2004

On arrival at Isla Mujeres, we were greeted by the staff of the private resort where we were to spend the afternoon! They put on quite a song and dance show for us as we dis-embarked from our tour boat!

Isla Mujares Staff
    • Spa and Resort

• taryn_treloar's Profile Photo

Get to Know The Locals

by taryn_treloar Updated Dec 12, 2003

I found the people in Cancun to be brilliant. I made more connections with them than any of the other tourists. Absolutely lovely people who would go out of their way to help you.

The men are quite forward, which can get a little overwhelming but for the most part it's sweet and flattering.

Franco was amazing at everything: sports, dancing, music.... and he was gorgeous. I'll remember the time I spent with him often.

Me and My Mexican man Franco

• Umfufu's Profile Photo

Toiletpaper

by Umfufu Written Aug 15, 2003

In some foreign countries, you may find a little bin in the WC with used toilet paper in it. It may seem a little unsavory, but you should really follow suit. The septic system will not be able to cope with much paper without blocking! I'm sure the cleaners would much prefer emptying a little bin, to having to mop the floor after the toilet floods....... yuck!!

The webpages below are really one of the best ones i have ever seen about customs....check before you go on holiday!

Frans didnt...and this is what happens to a person who just found out about the toiletpaper ha ha ha

Frans......wow....what is he doing?
    • Luxury Travel

• Chrystalain's Profile Photo

Army

by Chrystalain Updated Jan 22, 2003

They are everywhere; on the roads, the highway. One of them got in our bus during our trip to Chi Chen Itza. Since we were on the first seats, my husband bend over the barrier. At the same time, the army guy was climbing in the bus. My husband got the end of the carabin in the face. We laughed and took this picture.

Army guy

• pinganille's Profile Photo

People were really openminded...

by pinganille Written Sep 8, 2002

People were really openminded in a different way from the rest of Mexico, and more international too. Infact I realized that a lot of the Mexicans working there were children of Mexican expats, so don't expect to meet 'the real Mexico' when going there;)

• allenkite's Profile Photo

Take lots of American one...

by allenkite Written Sep 2, 2002

Take lots of American one dollar bills . . . Pay the taxi fare with American one's and you will get a much better deal . . . Beware though, make sure you and the driver are clear on the exact price and the fact that you are paying in American money

• CarlosLuz's Profile Photo

GET INTO THE MAYAN...

by CarlosLuz Written Aug 26, 2002

GET INTO THE MAYAN CULTURE!
    There's just so many awsome different locations which tell the story of this great civilization...we just visited 3 or 4 sites, but there are more than 300 in the Yucatan Peninsula, all quite well documented and don't forget that the guides/people at locations are quite valuable to learn more.
    Enjoy this great culture :)

• ALL PAY PHONES IN PUBLIC...

by CKShaw1 Written Aug 25, 2002

ALL PAY PHONES IN PUBLIC PLACES TAKE SPECIAL PHONE CARDS, AND TRYING TO BUY ONE CAN BE AN ALL DAY EXPEDITION. IF YOU WILL BE IN CANCUN FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME BE SURE TO PURCHASE ONE BEFORE YOU NEED IT!

• melissamn1's Profile Photo

I would just say to respect...

by melissamn1 Written Aug 25, 2002

I would just say to respect the locals! They are very friendly people! This guy was one of the locals that worked at the hotel. We were playing some kind of game (which I don't remember what it was) and I won a la boom t-shirt!

Cancún Hotels

Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
Temptation Resort & Spa
Piramides Cancun Beach Resort

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Local Customs

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cancún locals.
Map of Cancún