Coco Bongo, Cancún

Know about this? Rate It!

by neverstoptravel
    by vera-s
    by vera-s
  • Brew6868's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Ripoff, Over priced, Poor service, Too Crowded

by Brew6868 Written Jun 1, 2005

The idea is good but when $45 to get in open bar which is expensive but it is not unacceptable being most of us have spent more than that amount in one night however this wasnt the case at Coco Bongo. My first drink i went up to the bar and the tender said if you give me a good tip ill give you good service so I attempted to give him around 4$ or so which he refused and said it wasnt enough after that point he refused to serve us. Also small selection of alcohol beer and a few mixed drinks small cups, long line and only one at at time! Also when you first walk up to the Bar they offer you a shot of some crap and then do a small act and ask for money don't take it they use the same shot glass for everone and didnt wash it, it wasnt possible there wasnt any running water near the bar!!!!

• Coco Bongo: Try it once

by klubkidd80 Written May 9, 2005

Coco Bongos is something worth seeing if you end up in Cancun. Its a massive nightclub that puts on live shows throughout the night with trapeeze artists and impersonators and choreographed dance routines to typical holiday songs (think Macarena) The music played is a bit of everything and I do mean everything. They will play rock songs and latin pop, raggae music, hiphop and R'n'B, house, trance and cheesey old dance. They will play oldies and disco as well. Be warned though, the club is all on levels and with the amount of people it holds, its hard to notice them! I have seen many many people trip, slide and fall to the ground.

Dress Code: Anything goes in Cancun....you will see it all from the teeney weeney to the over the top

• Trvldpt's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: crazy nitelife

by Trvldpt Written May 4, 2005

crazy. got a shuttle from the flamingo to Coco around 12 midnite and it was just starting to hop. stayed till 3am, hit a locals place for some fish tacos and brews, back to flamingo around 5am. what a nite.

drinks: c+ but if your on a tour you get tons for free or next to nothing.

people: b+ not a locals place, some but mostly the WASP croud.

overall: a- for the whole set up and overall deco, music, etc.

Dress Code: just about anything goes.....

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Archeology

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: One of the best

by gabriellefox Updated Feb 28, 2005

CoCo Bongo

Cancun is famous all over the world for it's nightlife. When the sun goes down and a few drinks have been consumed Cancun really does spring to life. The nightlife starts late here in the clubs (usually earlier in restaurants) and can last into the wee hours of the next day. Nightclubs and discos offer special promotions and some lively contests, (bikini & male hot bod) usually during the week. Live music and DJ style music is featured in nightclubs and some interesting shows are occasionally featured. If you do a little homework you should be able to find something to interest anyone in you group. Call ahead to make sure you are going to get what you want in the way of entertainment.

Dress Code: Dress to Impress

• Luxury Travel

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

COCO BONGO: SHOW AND DISCO

by LoriPori Written Feb 4, 2005

Hans & Coco Bongo

We were told that COCO BONGO was the best night club in town. You can dance to the mix of Rock and Pop, Hip-Hop, 70's & 80's, Salsa and Merengue, every night. The club offers live music nightly and oversized screens displaying the best in music videos.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: COCO BONGO

by Maria_75 Updated Nov 16, 2004

One of the biggest and most popular places in Cancun. Don't be surprised if The Mask comes to serve you a Tequila, or Spiderman and Superman starts fighting. You might even see "Madonna" and "Michael Jackson" on stage. An incredible and huge place.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: If you wanna dance...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Sep 23, 2004

Coco Bongo Ad

This is one of the most visited discotheques in Cancun... If you're looking for a place to dance and where they play good music, this is it. In addition, they have live shows with guys imitating artists & characters such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Spider Man, acrobatic shows, etc. However, I must say that, even though the shows are cool, there are way too many of them and there's more time spent on the shows than playing music to dance, which I didn't like personally.... I liked this place much better 2 years ago than I did now.

The environment is fun, there are usually lots of people there (both national and foreigners) and you can pay your cover fee including open bar till 3 AM (around $40 USD) so you can drink whatever you want -- and they have a lot of choices, unlike most of the "open bars" they offer in other discotheques, bars, etc. Two years ago you could also pay your entrance fee without the alcohol, but I can't remember how much that costs (it must be around $20 USD) and I'm not sure whether it still can be done, I didn't try this time. It might not be as convenient, though, unless you don't drink alcohol at all: paying the drinks separately will be more expensive.

Dress Code: Not really, you're on vacation and on the beach, so even though many people try to dress nicely, many others just go there in their short pants and t-shirts and it's still ok...

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Ricardo79's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Coco Bongo

by Ricardo79 Updated Sep 10, 2004
    The Club (from the outside)

Well reading the reviews on here, what I have to say about this club seems a bit harsh! It was the one club in Cancun that I really looked forward to visiting.

We got to the door and waited in line for about 30 mins, which we expected as it is a very popular club. When we got in it wasnt very busy and the show had started. We had paid for an open bar and the drinks were flowing. We had come with another couple and we were having a great time.

After an hour or so the crowd had increased amazingley, we had to wait at least 15mins or so for a drink (even when tipping bar staff) and they would only give us one drink per person, which meant us going to the bar 2 at a time so we did not loose the place where we were standing.

It was now shoulder to shoulder, no room to dance, 15 minutes to go to the toilet. Not really my idea of fun.

Although the show was breathtaking we decided to call an end to the night. Trying to find an exit we were allowed to use was not easy, 25 minutes later we had finally arrived outside!

The only reason I would visit this place again is to see the spectacular show. maybe next time it might not be so busy, I hope!

Dress Code: Casual

• mirrajay's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Flying Spiderman

by mirrajay Written Jun 9, 2004

This place is spectacular if you are looking for a circus, but definetly not my favourite nightclub in the world. There are constant theatrics - people hanging from the ceiling, sword fights on the bar,etc., so it is certainly entertaining, but not a place I would want to spend too much time.
    The drinks were terribly watered down and the lighting was horrible. I could hardly see where I was stepping and to make it worse there were ledges and steps all over the place. If the drinks werent so weak, I would worry about people hurting themselves :)
    Its a place I think you have to see while you are in Cancun, but I dont think that its as great as it's cracked up to be.

• taryn_treloar's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Wicked Night

by taryn_treloar Written Dec 12, 2003

This club is the best that I've been to! It was huge, with flashy lighting and design. There is no doubt that anyone who went there would have an awesome time. The entertainment and music were great; people were extended from the ceiling doing rope dances, balloons and streemers would fall from the ceiling every so often, there were four of five levels to dance on....including the bar. Areas of seating for break periods.
    If you're ever in Cancun, this is the place to go on a Friday night

Dress Code: no sneakers

• Coco Bongo: Hot Entertainment

by gemmanatasha Written Sep 24, 2003

This was a great club but beware go on your own, we went with our entertainment team from the hotel and we didn't get there untill 12.30am and we had missed most of the live shows.
    The drinks were watered down so much i didn't bother after my first i just drank water. The downstairs was packed solid everyone was on top of each other, upstairs was just as bad you couldn't get a good view we left after about 2 hours.
    The best show was Spiderman and the GreenGoblin fighting in the air.

Dress Code: Smart Dress

• freespirit13's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Do Not Miss Out!

by freespirit13 Written Sep 11, 2002

Coco Bongo is the greatest club in Cancun. It's built like an auditoreum with the bar and "dance floor" on the bottom and stairs going all the way up to a railing where you can watch the people under you. The reason it's "dance floor" is because people are dancing on the steps, on the floor, on the railing, on the bar, the tables, everywhere. There's also another smaller room downstairs but why would you purposely miss out on all the action upstairs. There's a guy dressed up as The Mask, a guy doing stunts with a beer pyramid, just go there, trust me!

Dress Code: I don't know if there's a dress code, but I know guys can't be shirtless, apart from that, I believe anything goes.

• flyingpig's Profile Photo

CocoBongo is the best disco in...

by flyingpig Written Aug 25, 2002

CocoBongo is the best disco in Cancun - full stop - if not the best in Mexico!

It strikes a great balance between techno music and Latin rythms, from Mexican pop to salsa. At US$25 the open bar is reasonable value for money (advice: tip the barman Pesos $20 and you will get a much improved treatment, and plenty of alcohol in your drinks).

The attractiveness of CocoBongo is largely due to the performance of the acrobats flying around the central bar area, or the impersonators doing a great job at looking like Madonna, Axel Rose or other popular music stars.

The dress code is not strict, as opposed to most discos in Mexico City. However, it can be a pain to queue from 10:00PM just to get in on a Saturday night. My advice is to avoid Saturday nights alltogether - CocoBongo fills up with American tourists and plays tunes from the US, losing all its Mexican charm. Wednesday night is much more fun!

Oh, before I forget, the lower dance floor is a total mess, filthy and full of seriously drunken people. Try moving up to the suspended stage or the side alleys - a much better spot for enjoying the view and dancing all night long.

• Ainda's Profile Photo

COCOBONGO AND ALEBRIJE: COCOBONGO AND ALEBRIJE

by Ainda Written Aug 24, 2002

This places are both really cool.
    The CocoBongo is a great place, you can buy open bar and also just pay your cover and pay for what you drink. The music is really nice, you can hear spanish and english tunes.
    El Alebrije is a really cool place too, it´s the newest club at Cancun. You´ll hear spanish pop music.

Dress Code: Nice, not really dressy but casual.

• Coco Bongo: Fast admission

by neverstoptravel Written Feb 27, 2010

Ask your resort conciege to see if you could get a free wristband so that you could queue in the shorter line.

Instant Answers: Cancún