Coco Bongo, Cancún

Know about this? Rate It!

by neverstoptravel
    by vera-s
    by vera-s
  • happydance's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: I loved Coco Bongo!

by happydance Written Jan 31, 2007

I loved Coco Bongo! Coco Bongo offers entertainment, dancing, and they encourage their guest’s to party like rock stars all night long. I loved it when they would do tributes to different music performers because they would play several of their songs in a row. They also played clips from the movie Cocktail and then the bartenders made a flaming drink just as Tom Cruise did in the movie. I loved dancing on the bar and considered it a double bonus when balloons and confetti fell from the ceiling. I had a lot to drink that night and the bright blue dress I wore made me a target for the camera operator and the bartenders alike, I know this because my friends told me that I was on the big screen all the time. A bartender picked me up and put me on the bar so a man dressed as The Mask could pour tequila directly into my mouth, then the little Mask took a turn giving me a drink. They ended up pouring tequila into my mouth four times and the liquid kept coming until it spilled out of my mouth and onto my chest. By the time I left I was covered with tequila and confetti, I had the time of my life!

Dress Code: I did not notice a dress code.

• Music

• Coco Bongo: Bar Crawl Extravaganza!

by hja531 Written May 20, 2006

Coco Bongo -great time. Dancing, shows, fun music- the perfect cheesy vacation party spot. The best way to get around Cancun's nightlife is with the bar crawl tours. Its about 60 bucks- covers 4 bars, cover charges, VIP areas and drinks are included. Beware of the shot girls though- they will give out shots and then charge you for them.

• wahine76's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Biggest Party in Cancun

by wahine76 Written Jul 22, 2005

Coco Bongo

Even if youre like me and you dont like clubs, you gotta go to Coco Bongo, a unique nightclub in the hotel zone of Cancun.

Its hard to describe what CoCoBongo is like...its like a big party or circus...with people literally dancing everywhere...with shows...its like the biggest new year celebration...you feel like youre in another world completely! its like studio 54 in Cancun!

Cover charge in USD$ - including or not alcohol.

Dress Code: Dress hot, sexy...wear little clothes as possible as it is HOT in there!

• Spa and Resort

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: If you wanna dance...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Sep 23, 2004

Coco Bongo Ad

This is one of the most visited discotheques in Cancun... If you're looking for a place to dance and where they play good music, this is it. In addition, they have live shows with guys imitating artists & characters such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Spider Man, acrobatic shows, etc. However, I must say that, even though the shows are cool, there are way too many of them and there's more time spent on the shows than playing music to dance, which I didn't like personally.... I liked this place much better 2 years ago than I did now.

The environment is fun, there are usually lots of people there (both national and foreigners) and you can pay your cover fee including open bar till 3 AM (around $40 USD) so you can drink whatever you want -- and they have a lot of choices, unlike most of the "open bars" they offer in other discotheques, bars, etc. Two years ago you could also pay your entrance fee without the alcohol, but I can't remember how much that costs (it must be around $20 USD) and I'm not sure whether it still can be done, I didn't try this time. It might not be as convenient, though, unless you don't drink alcohol at all: paying the drinks separately will be more expensive.

Dress Code: Not really, you're on vacation and on the beach, so even though many people try to dress nicely, many others just go there in their short pants and t-shirts and it's still ok...

• Women's Travel

• freespirit13's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Do Not Miss Out!

by freespirit13 Written Sep 11, 2002

Coco Bongo is the greatest club in Cancun. It's built like an auditoreum with the bar and "dance floor" on the bottom and stairs going all the way up to a railing where you can watch the people under you. The reason it's "dance floor" is because people are dancing on the steps, on the floor, on the railing, on the bar, the tables, everywhere. There's also another smaller room downstairs but why would you purposely miss out on all the action upstairs. There's a guy dressed up as The Mask, a guy doing stunts with a beer pyramid, just go there, trust me!

Dress Code: I don't know if there's a dress code, but I know guys can't be shirtless, apart from that, I believe anything goes.

• flyingpig's Profile Photo

CocoBongo is the best disco in...

by flyingpig Written Aug 25, 2002

CocoBongo is the best disco in Cancun - full stop - if not the best in Mexico!

It strikes a great balance between techno music and Latin rythms, from Mexican pop to salsa. At US$25 the open bar is reasonable value for money (advice: tip the barman Pesos $20 and you will get a much improved treatment, and plenty of alcohol in your drinks).

The attractiveness of CocoBongo is largely due to the performance of the acrobats flying around the central bar area, or the impersonators doing a great job at looking like Madonna, Axel Rose or other popular music stars.

The dress code is not strict, as opposed to most discos in Mexico City. However, it can be a pain to queue from 10:00PM just to get in on a Saturday night. My advice is to avoid Saturday nights alltogether - CocoBongo fills up with American tourists and plays tunes from the US, losing all its Mexican charm. Wednesday night is much more fun!

Oh, before I forget, the lower dance floor is a total mess, filthy and full of seriously drunken people. Try moving up to the suspended stage or the side alleys - a much better spot for enjoying the view and dancing all night long.

• Ainda's Profile Photo

COCOBONGO AND ALEBRIJE: COCOBONGO AND ALEBRIJE

by Ainda Written Aug 24, 2002

This places are both really cool.
    The CocoBongo is a great place, you can buy open bar and also just pay your cover and pay for what you drink. The music is really nice, you can hear spanish and english tunes.
    El Alebrije is a really cool place too, it´s the newest club at Cancun. You´ll hear spanish pop music.

Dress Code: Nice, not really dressy but casual.

• sarah1983's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Dancing on the bar!

by sarah1983 Written Feb 4, 2008

I wasn't a fan of Cancun in general but I loved Coco Bongos! Had a great night with my girlfriends - we all ended up dancing on the bar as it's encouraged! It's a pretty random mix of music though. When we were there, they had a Shania Twain impersonator performing and then next thing they were playing sleazy rap! Great fun though but not the kind of place I'd be going every night!

• Trvldpt's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: crazy nitelife

by Trvldpt Written May 4, 2005

crazy. got a shuttle from the flamingo to Coco around 12 midnite and it was just starting to hop. stayed till 3am, hit a locals place for some fish tacos and brews, back to flamingo around 5am. what a nite.

drinks: c+ but if your on a tour you get tons for free or next to nothing.

people: b+ not a locals place, some but mostly the WASP croud.

overall: a- for the whole set up and overall deco, music, etc.

Dress Code: just about anything goes.....

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Archeology

• Coco Bongo: Try it once

by klubkidd80 Written May 9, 2005

Coco Bongos is something worth seeing if you end up in Cancun. Its a massive nightclub that puts on live shows throughout the night with trapeeze artists and impersonators and choreographed dance routines to typical holiday songs (think Macarena) The music played is a bit of everything and I do mean everything. They will play rock songs and latin pop, raggae music, hiphop and R'n'B, house, trance and cheesey old dance. They will play oldies and disco as well. Be warned though, the club is all on levels and with the amount of people it holds, its hard to notice them! I have seen many many people trip, slide and fall to the ground.

Dress Code: Anything goes in Cancun....you will see it all from the teeney weeney to the over the top

• arkygirl's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Good Times

by arkygirl Written Jun 14, 2005

Went to Coco Bongo on the Party Hopper tour that we had booked through our hotel rep. We had a bunch of people from our hotel and were picked up right at our hotel. Coco Bongo was the last nightclub that we were at so by the time you get there you will be feeling pretty good! The show is amazing!! We had Beetlejuice, Spider Man and the Green Goblin, and Madonna to entertain us. After that we had Angels bouncing up and down from the ceiling while confetti and sparkles fell from the "sky". We stood in a VIP section and the beer was everflowing by our tour reps. We had an absolute blast at this bar! I would definitely recommend that you do this bar with your hotel entertainment staff or with a pub crawl so you do not have to wait in line to get in or for a drink. The place is so packed that it makes it hard (especially if you have had a few too many) to move around.

Dress Code: I saw people in all kinds of clothes but over all the clothes were comfortable-casual to very dressy. I do recommend wearing flats because you will be standing all night!

• dilorenzodepaul's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Lame Place

by dilorenzodepaul Written Aug 22, 2005

We went on New Year's Eve, and paid $80 a person to get in. Open bar, which was poor, and then the "clubbin" starts. Popular dance music and many drunk people dancing. It was ok I guess. Too much money for what it was though.

Dress Code: Bad drinks-watered down. Cool set-up I guess. Double level with a stage type thing.

• Music

• Coco Bongo: Hot Entertainment

by gemmanatasha Written Sep 24, 2003

This was a great club but beware go on your own, we went with our entertainment team from the hotel and we didn't get there untill 12.30am and we had missed most of the live shows.
    The drinks were watered down so much i didn't bother after my first i just drank water. The downstairs was packed solid everyone was on top of each other, upstairs was just as bad you couldn't get a good view we left after about 2 hours.
    The best show was Spiderman and the GreenGoblin fighting in the air.

Dress Code: Smart Dress

• Ricardo79's Profile Photo

Coco Bongo: Coco Bongo

by Ricardo79 Updated Sep 10, 2004
    The Club (from the outside)

Well reading the reviews on here, what I have to say about this club seems a bit harsh! It was the one club in Cancun that I really looked forward to visiting.

We got to the door and waited in line for about 30 mins, which we expected as it is a very popular club. When we got in it wasnt very busy and the show had started. We had paid for an open bar and the drinks were flowing. We had come with another couple and we were having a great time.

After an hour or so the crowd had increased amazingley, we had to wait at least 15mins or so for a drink (even when tipping bar staff) and they would only give us one drink per person, which meant us going to the bar 2 at a time so we did not loose the place where we were standing.

It was now shoulder to shoulder, no room to dance, 15 minutes to go to the toilet. Not really my idea of fun.

Although the show was breathtaking we decided to call an end to the night. Trying to find an exit we were allowed to use was not easy, 25 minutes later we had finally arrived outside!

The only reason I would visit this place again is to see the spectacular show. maybe next time it might not be so busy, I hope!

Dress Code: Casual

• Coco Bongo: Fast admission

by neverstoptravel Written Feb 27, 2010

Ask your resort conciege to see if you could get a free wristband so that you could queue in the shorter line.

Instant Answers: Cancún