La Parilla, Cancún

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 7 Reviews

Outside of La Parilla
    by LilAng616
    background you can see the grill
    by patatina
    mmm tacos!
    by patatina
  • patatina's Profile Photo

La Parrilla: A Must Have: Tacos al Pastor

by patatina Written Jul 18, 2006

mmm tacos!

Loved this place for many reasons: great food, friendly, accommodating service, fair prices and great selection, yummy margaritas, and authentic with a lively atmosphere.

I pretty much just ate tacos at La Parrilla ("The Grill"). There's a plate you can get for about US $11 called "The Mariachis" - you choose 5 of either chicken, steak, beef, chorizo sausage, or pastor. Do not leave without trying the taco al pastor, even if you just get one to test it out. I also had chicken enchiladas there during one of our lunchtime visits, but I found those too cheesy and heavy with too much tomato sauce. My husband tried two other plates during our visits: the Pibil fish filet which is baked and comes with grilled plantains (yummy) and vegetables and rice. He liked it but found it to be pretty spicy. That cost US $12. A side note, I didn't find the shrimp tacos to be that good, they are baked with onions apparently and not grilled, which is what I was expecting.

For lunch, the place is busier at about 3pm/4pm. There are also lunch buffets for only US $9 per person and it's a lot of Mexican fried dishes and stews and grilled kebabs and meats.

The service was consistently good, but at times service is a bit slow - that was late afternoon and on Sunday for us, when they were either very busy or understaffed. Otherwise they were great, and one point I asked if I could customize a plate and they were very accommodating and flexible.

A mariachi trio comes by and will play for your table for 50 pesos a song of your choice. I thought they played beautifully. They play a wide range of songs but we just asked them to choose their favorite.

The atmosphere at this place is great and it's a nice place to sit back and relax after a day at the beach. I highly recommend visiting at least once when you're in Cancun. If you're headed down to Playa del Carmen, there's also one there on the Fifth Avenue strip.

Favorite Dish: I can't say it enough: the Tacos al Pastor. They're cooked in a red adobo sauce and grilled to a delicious taste! Absolutely great. Served on warm corn tortillas with chopped onion. Plop on some guacomole and some tomatoes from the pico de gallo for a yummy, filling lunch. The plate comes with 5 tacos so I split them with my husband. This plate is only $8!

• fire00starter's Profile Photo

La Parilla: A great mexican experience

by fire00starter Written Jan 24, 2006

This is a great mexican resturant that's in downtown Cancun. The ambiance is great, with live mariachi bands, the service wonderful, and you actually get some of the Mexican culture that you miss in the hotel zone. It's located on Yaxchilan Av, or you can ask any taxi driver to take you there.

• Toade's Profile Photo

La Parrilla. It's authentic...

by Toade Written Aug 26, 2002

La Parrilla. It's authentic Mexican cooking at it's finest. And it has very good prices, also.
    The inside is kind of old, and the paintings on the wall are faded. You can watch the cook cut the Parrilla before he takes it to your table, which is roasting on a spit constantly. Also, a mariachi band walks around, and if you give them some money, they'll play a traditional mexican song of your choosing.

Favorite Dish: The combination plate -- it combines southern and central Mexican dishes and is super cheap. Also, the Mexican coffee is very good -- it's coffee mixed with Kahlua, tequila, another mexican alcohol (I forget), and vanilla ice cream. It's a flaming drink, and the waiters are pretty impressive when they're filling your cup with a stream of burning alcohol -- never spilling a drop, never burning themselves.

• La Parilla: Don't miss the Golden Margaritas!

by kmbeckman Written Jun 2, 2007

This is (or was) a great traditional Mexican restaurant in old downtown Cancun. I've been twice and the food & drink are great, but I've noticed it becoming a little more Americanized. You'll still see locals as well as tourists, and it's airy setting is nice. Watch out for those Golden Margies! They are great but STRONG!

Favorite Dish: Shrimp fajitas and chicken lime soup.

• LilAng616's Profile Photo

La Parilla: You must try the steak and shrimp tacos

by LilAng616 Written Nov 25, 2008
    Outside of La Parilla

Our taxi drops us just about 2 feet from the entrance to La Parilla in Cancun. Talk about curbside service. Enter into an open air borderline outdoor restaurant, as the walls are not exactly walls but shaped and curled cut outs of wrought iron. It was late for lunch, about 3 pm, but the restaurant was still pretty full. Our friendly waiter took our drink orders and offered the days specials as he provided us with chips and salsa. Nothing interesting there, I came for one thing and one thing only, TACOS. I ordered steak/shrimp tacos and hoped for the best. The menu leaves a bit to be desired without giving a full rundown of what exactly your meal comes with. My cerveza of choice was Sol, which was served ice cold, exactly how I like it. As I munched I chips and salsa, 2 salsas to be exact, one red one green, the green was my favorite, had a nice spicy sharp taste with a velvety aftertaste, I took the time to take in the atmosphere. The waitresses wore colorful, flowing ankle length cotton dresses. Walls adorned with hand painted Mexican tile and fountains. The service was excellent, speedy and thorough. My tacos hit the table and I was overjoyed. (I know it sounds a bit dramatic just for food but i'm an aspiring chef and a "foodie" so you have to understand) Perfectly sauteed bit size pieces of shrimp and steak mixed with a delightful combination of 3 cheeses. Served with rice and beans. My only disappointment was there was no fresh guacamole served with the tacos and personally I feel that's the only way to truely eat a taco. I ordered a cup and my problems were solved. That's when things got even better, a Mariachi band was working its way around the restaurant and they stopped at our table. They sang us a Carlos Santana song and the sounds of the music took me to such a wonderful place. I strongly recommend La Parilla. They have that "hole in the wall" vibe while still being a relatively well known restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Steak and shrimp tacos

• laura4n8's Profile Photo

La Parrilla: Finally a local taste

by laura4n8 Written Dec 31, 2004

We were tired of the touristy spots so we asked the concierge at the Sheraton for a good Mexican restaurant in downtown Cancun. He recommeded La Parrilla. We enjoyed it very much and the staff was great - until we had to pay the bill. I guess Americans are too used to being able to split the check so that everyone can pay their respective part. The restaurant had a hard time with that and so we were frustrated as we tried to reconcile the bill.

Favorite Dish: I'm not a drinker but my friends said the margueritas were great. I don't remember what I had but it was good!

• La Parilla: Packed day and night - downtown Cancun

by Srechko Written Oct 21, 2004
    Happy face after dinner at la Parilla

Excellent atmoshpere, live mariachi music, good service and excellent food. Equally popular among both tourists and locals.

Favorite Dish: Tacos al Pastor, fried fish amd steak mexican style is good too.

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Hotels Near La Parilla
3.0 out of 5 stars