Places to eat in Cancún

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cancún

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Elefante - Thai Lounge: Restaurants with a great lagoon view

by trvlrtom Updated Apr 21, 2010

If you want something different than the usual US chain restaurants in the Hotel Zone, there are two better restaurants in the Isla mall that give a fine atmosphere, decent food and romantic views of the lagoon. Both restaurants have decks sitting right over the lagoon. We went to the Elefante, and Indian restaurant, and were happy with everything. If you are familiar with Indian food, you'll know what you are getting. The service here was gracious and attentive, but not overly so.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

La Destileria: Great Mexican food in the Hotel Zone

by trvlrtom Written Apr 19, 2010

Like most visitors to Cancun, we ate out often during our visit. Without a doubt this was our favorite restaurant. We went here the first time on the recommendation of someone at our hotel and were happy with everything. We went back a second time to try different menu items and to see if it was still good. So for our last night we returned, knowing that the menu would have more good things to try and that we'd be sure of a good meal.
    What is really good about this restaurant is that they actually offer up Mexican food that is authentic (OK, this is Cancun) and way beyond the usual things you find. No plain old tacos, burritos and enchilata plates. Here they have good regional cooking that reflects actual Mexican food - not the US version, or TexMex, or Cal Mex...
    For example, my first meal was fish "talla" style, with a sauce I hadn't had before. My second meal was a beef stuffed chile, and my third a fish with a cilantro sauce. My wife also tried different things, but liked the shrimp appetizer so much that she had it two times. I feel sorry for anyone who goes to Cancun and only eats at boring US chain restaurants like Chili's or Outback. They just don't know what they are missing - what interesting food they can get for the same price.
    Add to this the friendly service and beautiful lagoon view setting, and it can't be beat.

Oh, and the name of the place refers to the tequilla. While we aren't tequilla drinkers, it seems to be a specialty here.

• Lorenzillo's: The Best Dining Experience!

by shadowdupont Written Oct 18, 2009

Spectacular view at Sunset! Food is fantastic!Service is great!!! Drinks, Lobster & more!!!We go to Lorenzillo's every time we are in Can Cun! It is a "must to do" while on vacation.

Favorite Dish: You can select your own live Lobster from the bin...They also serve a mouthwatering stuffed Filet w/Crab & Lobster! yummy. One of the best Caeser Salads I have ever tasted prepared table side!

• Beaches

• WORST SERVICE EVER!!!!: cancun palace

by PINKPw Written Jun 27, 2008

I booked a stay May 25th - June 2nd (check out date). Our entire stay was marvelous and we enjoyed our vacation for these 8 days UNTIL check out. Upon arrival, everyone greeted us very well and welcomed us. They placed the yellow bracelets on us and told us not to lose them. When checking out at approximately 2:00 pm, they would not let us leave due to the fact that we had taken off our bracelets the night before prior to departing because there was no other use for it - after 8 entire days of wearing them we took them off because we no longer needed to have them on. When checking out the reception desk wanted to charge us 150.00 (75.00 for each bracelet!) claiming that upon arrival we were warned about this. Never once did any employee advise us that these PLASTIC BRACELETS! would have to be recycled/returned????? The staff made a scene including a man that claimed he was the manager: RAYMOND. He argued that we must pay 75.00 each to obtain a new bracelet, but per the contract that we have signed upon arrival it said that "guest will pay 75.00 for each remaining night" we had ZERO remaining nights, therefore, 75 x 0 = 0 due to the reception! They would not let us leave and we had to catch our flight back home. Due to all the commotion the hotel made, they caused us to miss our flight and wait an additional SIX HOURS! at the airport for the next available flight including a 100.00 re-booking fee by the airline! The even WORST and MOST EMBARRASSING part was that the staff RAN after us like we were criminals, told the taxi driver NOT to take us to the airport, when we walked away advised the security personnel at the entrance NOT to let us leave, security then let the manager know that we were leaving anyway and the entire staff RAN AFTER US like we were CRIMINALS!!!! They threatened to call the police and have us arrested if we did not pay them!!!! THere are witnesses that were at the bus stop that we took their names and phone numbers of if the staff denies their wrong doings. At this point, I want A) refund of the 75.00 charged to my credit card, B) compensation of 200.00 for missing our flights and half reimbursement of our stay for the trouble, embarassment and loss of time. I just got the response back from the hotel and theyre not even admitting to their wrongdoings!!!!

• jakelorenzo's Profile Photo

Loncheria El Pocito: The Best Meal in Cancun

by jakelorenzo Written Feb 12, 2008

El Pocito is located in a palapa-roofed house. Owned and operated by a local family, they serve authentic Yucatecan food and it is absolutely delicious. Service is great, but no one speaks English here. Not a problem as the menu is written on chalk boards. Tortillas are hand-made, they have jamaica, pineapple, tamarind and horchata drinks as well as soft drinks, but no beer or liquor.
    The food is extraordinary from the roasted suckling pig to the queso relleno this is Yucatecan food the way the locals eat it.
    The place is spotless.
    When I return to Cancun, I'll eat here everyday.
    The only downside is that it is only open for lunch.

Favorite Dish: The roasted suckling pig was served as shredded chunks of incredibly flavorful meat with some red onion rice and fried plantain. Rolled into the home made tortillas with a little hot sauce, it was sublime. The queso relleno featured a tasty cheese stuffed and covered in a delicious meat sauce. We also tried some local sausage called Longoniza which was very smoky.

• leigh767's Profile Photo

roadside stalls: local culinary delights

by leigh767 Written Jan 15, 2008

along the small and large roads of El Centro, there are lots of roadside stalls selling anything from tacos to tamales (mmmm!) Be sure to give these a try because they're delicious and sanitary ( if you have concerns about that). Beware of getting ripped off though.

Favorite Dish: Of all of the roadside stalls that I've tried, I like tamales the most.

Tamales are delicious and are said to take back to Aztec times. the dough itself is made of finely grounded masa. It is often filled with chicken and/or pork and is steamed so it is very healthy. wash it down with a masa drink.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Picus Cockteleria: Amazing seafood!

by leigh767 Written Jan 14, 2008

again, this restaurant comes highly recommended and is too good not to try. Of all the restaurants I have tried in Mexico, this is the one that I miss the most. I really wish I had the chance to go back for a second meal!

when you first get off at the ferry pier at Isla Mujeres, turn left and keep walking down the road until you see a stretch of beach (this is Playa Norte). On your way there, there are rogue of restaurants on the left side of the road. Picus is one of these restaurants. It faces west so you can wine and dine as you watch the sunset.

Favorite Dish: no one does grilled fish like Picus! their fish filet grilled in garlic (or simply grilled) was simply sublime, as was their fish veracruz ( a type of tomato sauce). be warned though: the food is very salty.

sorry, no pictures as I ate it all up too fast!

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad
    • School Holidays

• onlinerep's Profile Photo

Spoilt for choice.

by onlinerep Updated Sep 19, 2007

Restaurants are great if you can afford to try them all. There are lots of places which provide quality food from all around the world. 'Sea food' restaurants are popular such as 'La Fisheria' - serving fresh sea food aswell as pizza.

How HOT is it? If you love spicy food, the 'Cancun Tips Tourist Guide' will tell you all about the 13 different types of chillies which range from mild to mouth burning HOT!!

Just a general (but good) tip for all you chocoholics out there - you must go to Burger King just for their 'Hershey Pie' dessert. It's heaven! Why doesn't BK have that here in the UK?

Champion's Restaurant & Sportsbar: A quiet sportsbar

by spgood301 Written Aug 20, 2007

Champion's is a basic pub grub sportsbar, outside the CasaMagna Marriott. They serve your basic American favorites - burgers, wings, etc - along with a few local favorites. It's actually rather huge, with several tables, a bar and a pool table. Big and small screen TV's play sports from the US and Mexico.

Quite honestly, I found Champion's to be all but empty most nights. A few American tourists, watching a game from home or shooting pool, that's about it. I went there my first night in Cancun because I hadn't found my way around yet, but rarely went back after. The food is fine and the beer selection's good, but there's just not much going on at Champion's.

If you're looking to watch American sports a little closer to the Cancun action, I suggest you try the Outback Steakhouse. Yep, the Outback - they've got a huge sportsbar there. Pat O'Brien's next door shows American and Mexican sports too, along with English football.

Again, Champion's is a fine place, but it's just too darn quiet there.

Mikado's Japanes & Thai Cuisine: A fine, fun Asian restaurant

by spgood301 Written Aug 20, 2007

Mikado's is one of Cancun's better Asian restaurants. It serves Japanese & Thai cuisine, and sushi, in a fun relaxed family atmosphere. This is a nice place to brink your whole family - I went there with a family I'd met earlier that day in my hotel. Mikado's has many tasty, quality Japanese and Thai dishes, many prepared right at your table. I had a real nice Thai chicken dish, and a piece of sushi too - salmon roll, quite good. I finished it off with a Sapporo beer for a fine evening meal.

Mikado's is located right outside the CasaMagna Marriott Resort, but you can just drive up no matter where you're staying. It was a very enjoyable experience. If you enjoy Asian cuisine, stop by Mikado's

La Capilla: Fine Argentine Steakhouse in the CasaMagna Resort

by spgood301 Written Aug 20, 2007

La Capilla is one of several Argentine steakhouses in Cancun. Located right in the Casamagna Marriott Resort, looking right over the swimming pool in fact, La Capilla serves quality Argentine steaks, chicken and seafood. It's a good place to splurge for nice meal, away from the touristy areas too. The interior is dark, the decor nice, and the service is very fast. And don't forget the food - it's quite good too.

For fine, intimate dining in a nice, relaxed atmosphere, try La Capilla. And they're open for breakfast too.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

El Shrimp Bucket: Shrimp? In a bucket?

by spgood301 Written Aug 20, 2007

Yeah, shrimp in a bucket! I found El Shrimp Bucket quite easily - it was right across from my hotel (the Casamagna). It's a very laid back place to eat, whether with friends or family. You can sit outside, in the restaurant or at the bar watching your favorite game, all while enjoying shrimp. In a bucket!

El Shrimp Bucket has several different types of shrimp, in many different sizes of buckets depending on your appetite. And a bonus: waffle fries at the bottom of your bucket. Dip your shrimp in their many kinds of sauce too. And, if you don't like shrimp, they have other dishes too.

El Shrimp Bucket is owned by the same people who own Senor Frogs and Carlos & Charlies, so fun is guaranteed. And good food with friendly service. I highly recommend El Shrimp Bucket. For shrimp. In a bucket!

Favorite Dish: I had the breaded and buffalo shrimp, served in two different buckets. Both were terrific.

Carlos and Charlies: Good casual food

by spgood301 Written Aug 20, 2007

I have this as a restaurant tip because I only ate there. Carlos and Charlies is also one of Cancun's main nightspots. Another Cancun spot where they'll get you up to dance, laugh and have a good time at some point. And that does include the kids.

The food is very good too. I just had the cilantro cheese in green tomatillo sauce. Deelish! I sat at the bar, had my meal, made new friends too. That's just the way it is there.

There are several Carlos and Charlies located throughout Mexico and the Caribbean.

I do wish I had stayed for the nightlife too. It's supposed to be one of the better places to hang out in Cancun. Oh well, I'll do it on my next visit.

Favorite Dish: That cilantro cheese was pretty darned good.

• thyrkas's Profile Photo

Laguna Grill: Excellent Food with Excellent Service

by thyrkas Written Jul 11, 2007

The restaurant is on the water, with seating options inside or outside. Our group chose to sit outside at sunset. We walked in at 7:00 - and without reservations, got in immediately. The service was prompt (probably since there were few parties there) and friendly! A nice change from the hotel we were staying at.

I didn't feel rushed and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. I didn't mind paying the $15 - $45 a plate that the menu had to offer. It was worth the price!

Favorite Dish: I had the Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna - which was excellent! The combination of flavors and texture was amazing - and made the dish. Others in my party had the lobster (also won rave reviews) as well as the ribeye (excellent).
    The beefsteak tomato with mozzarella salad was different - not what some of us expected, but also excellent.

Laguna Grill in the afternoon
    • Beaches

• keida84's Profile Photo

Spice: Buffet and Show Cooking

by keida84 Updated Jun 21, 2007

We finally tried this restaurant a day or two into our stay. Generally I am not big on buffets because I don't like the tired out looking foods under heat lamps. At Spice this was certainly NOT the case. Not only was the buffet sumptuous , there were chefs to prepare you something with a lot of flair and show and if buffets still are not your cup of tea then you can order a la carte from their menu. Again the food was excellent and the service here was good however I will make a note here, there was one waiter who thought my husband looked like Bruce Willis and he kept on calling him "Bruce." That was okay but he carried it to the extreme degree telling all his waiter friends and guests at other tables that he had Bruce Willis at his table. When we returned for lunch the next day we were not in his station but he kept coming over to the table and kept the "Bruce" thing going. We were so annoyed that we left sooner than later and missed out on their homemade gelatto! My husband ended up calling the manager who graciously gave the okay for us to have some in a to go cup...Yea for the manager!

Favorite Dish: One of my favorite dishes was the "ensalada de frijoles." A delightful and refreshing mix of pico de gallo (tomatoes, onions and cilantro) combined with pinto beans and a very light dressing. mm-mmm good. What a great way to get veggies and your protein for the day. The bread station had the freshest breads and rolls (bolios) around. Then there was fish with a mango sauce. Now I do not care for fish all that much but this was an outstanding dish.

Now being a sugar nut, the dessert table was just beyond belief! Fresh fruit, bread pudding, rice pudding, flan (a Mexican custard), cakes and pies and homemade gelatto. The coconut and the mango were just out of this world.

Cancun beach

Aqua Cancun
Blue Bay Club Cancun
Grand Oasis Caribbean Beach Resort

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Restaurants

aznaphrodite's Profile Photo

Reviews and photos of Cancún restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cancún sightseeing.

Map of Cancún