Places to eat in Cancún

• Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cancún

The name wasn't clearly posted so I don't know!: Cheap Local Fare on the strip

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 15, 2007

My first night out I was tired from a long travel day, and lack of sleep the night before. All I wanted was a little cheap, authentic Mexican meal. All the restaurants in the hotel zone struck me as way too touristy for my taste, and somehow the Italian restaurant at the hotel just wasn’t going to cut it, so I went on a little walk. I didn’t have to walk very far before discovering a little “taco stand” across the street from the hotel. It’s literally a hole in the wall, with just a counter separating the kitchen from the street and a few tables scattered on the sidewalk. The couple who run the stand are really sweet. They speak English, and were very helpful and patient with my Spanish. Two chicken tostadas and a Corona cost me a whopping 50 pesos (about $5 USD – a steal for Cancun). The food was very authentic. Just like my host moms used to make when I was touring Mexico oh so many years ago. Exactly what I wanted!

Favorite Dish: I had a beer and some chicken tostadas... Yummy!

Casa Tequila: Inexpensive Dining in the Heart of the Hotel Zone

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 8, 2005

Wandering through the hotel zone one evening we stumbled upon Casa Tequila. We were looking for an inexpensive and relatively authentic cantina and discovered a new favorite. The decor is bright, colorful and fun. On a nice evening sit outside on the covered patio and watch the world stroll by as you dine on Mexican fare and sip tequila from their extensive agave menu. If you're looking for something a little more romantic ask to be seated upstairs, overlooking the street. The waiters are pleasant, the food is great and the prices can't be beat. We loved it so much we returned for breakfast the morning of our departure.

Favorite Dish: Everything we tried was great! I'd return again and again and eat my way through the entire menu. Don't leave without trying the coconut ice cream!

• School Holidays

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville: Wasting away in Margaritaville

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

I noticed that Cancun has become very commercialized. I did not really realize this the last time I went there, but driving around, you really would not know you were not in a beach community in the US. Along with this, you were reminded many times by seeing American restaurants. One of which was Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. I could tell this was a popular hangout for the Spring Break crowd, as evidenced by all the US dollar bills stapled to the bar behind me in the picture. Sarah and I were really there just to have a drink, as she loves her diet coke! I had the Raspberry Margarita, and we split some guacamole. It was all delicious!

• danijelita's Profile Photo

Chocko`s & Tere LOBSTER HOUSE: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by danijelita Written Jul 11, 2004

The food is fress, one meal is good for to people to eat ( it was with us) ,
    Great Mexican specialities, Fish excelent.
    It is on a good location, in the center of the Zona Hoteliera.The staff is great !
    They have a traditional live music played by two men

Favorite Dish: Whole fried fish, Fajitas de Polo
    Margarita is best made in this restaurant,
    Ask Polo to make it for you :)

Las Fajitas: Cheap Local Breakfast

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 3, 2005

Two storefronts down from the little dinner place I suggested is Las Fajitas. It's nearly identical and just as authentic. My cute dinner place wasn't open when we headed out for breakfast so we tried Las Fajitas and ended up having breakfast here almost every morning with the locals. It has a limited, but relatively traditional breakfast menu, friendly service and good prices. If you're looking for a cheap Mexican breakfast in the Hotel Zone check out Las Fajitas.

La Habichuela: Downtown Dining

by Etoile2B Updated Apr 4, 2011

We have friends who own a condo in Cancun and therefore spend a lot of time down here. This restaurant was at the top of their list... and now it's at the top of mine. Located downtown, it's still easy to reach from the Hotel Zone. Set back from the main streets, this beautiful restaurant features authentic Yucatan fare, specializing in seafood. When making a reservation I suggest asking to be seated in the garden. Dining Al Fresco was the perfect addition to this wonderful meal. The restaurant is romantic and warm. The waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly. The meals were satisfying and unique. Talk to your hotel concierge when making a reservation and usually they can get you a coupon for a "welcome drink". I would go back on any trip to Cancun.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the seafood in garlic sauce as an appetizer - spicy! My entree wasn't as spectacular as everyone else's - the tuna. It wasn't great. But what I tasted of my friends entrees was excellent! Overall a wonderful dining experience.

• Business Travel

• gipper84's Profile Photo

The Palm: Don't Miss the Steak and Lobster

by gipper84 Written Jun 28, 2005

The palm would have to be one of the nicer restaurants in Cancun. It is somewhere you would probably want to dress alittle nicer than normal. When we went David and I wore button up shirts and khakis pants. The atmosphere is really nice. The restaurant´s menu features filet mignon, prime rib, lamb chops, their signature steak and seafood such as swordfish, shrimp and salmon. Also offered is Poultry, Veal and Pasta specialties. I ended up having the surf and turf which if you don't know is Lobster and Filet mignon. It was just amazing. The steak was so juicy and so tender that is just made my mouth water, and the lobster was just perfect. This is somewhere you probably want to make reservations a day or 2 in advance.It is a real traditional restaurant which is recognized worldwide for its famous steaks and gigantic lobsters. David told me to say he recommends it 2 thumbs and a half up by far...

Favorite Dish: Surf and Turf most definetly

• Danishchip's Profile Photo

Captain's Cove: Great Food and Great Drinks

by Danishchip Written May 18, 2004

All of the food we had was excellent, from the conch fritter appetizers to the Caribbean lobster tail to the key lime pie. The restaurant sits on the lagoon side on the water, with seating both inside and out (we sat outside both times we ate there, against the railing to watch the fish). An excellent place to watch the sunset. Make sure you get there early, as the bar has happy hour from 4 to 7 PM. And Pablo makes the best Cosmopolitans in Cancun!

Favorite Dish: The best dish for me was the combination, which included conch fritters, crab cakes, shrimp, grouper, calimari rings, and you can add a lobster tail if you are really hungry.

• Adventure Travel
    • Spa and Resort
    • Beaches

• jag17's Profile Photo

Perico's: Join The Fun

by jag17 Updated Jun 27, 2004

A variety of food choices including steak, lobster and Mexican dishes. This place is just FUN! A wild atmosphere of singing, and dancing (yes, this means you) through the restaurant in a conga line, will usually happen at least once during your dinner. Drinks will arrive on your waiters head. This place gets crowded. Plan ahead, and plan on waiting in line to get in.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

American resort - american restaurants

by Maria_75 Updated Nov 16, 2004

Since this is an "american resort" you will find all of the famous american restaurants here. In fact I felt more like being in an american than a mexican city while I was walking around in the hotel zone. After having travelled around Mexico some weeks it can be nice to sit down and take a Big Mac or a real american sparerib with BBQ sauce. But you should also try some of the mexican food at a more traditional mexican restaurant.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Los de Pescado: Cheap seafood tacos.

by SWFC_Fan Written Mar 14, 2006

Los de Pescado is a small seafood restaurant on a non-touristy part of Avenida Tulum, about a 20 minute walk from the bus terminal.

The setting is unpretentious, with plastic tables and chairs inside and outdoors under umbrellas. Usually, these umbrellas are useful for keeping the sun off, but on the occasion that I visited I was sheltering from a heavy thunderstorm. As a result of the heavy downpour, I ended up staying here for over an hour....nursing a few bottles of Pacifico beer.

The menu is not very extensive: shrimp tacos, fish tacos, shrimp cocktail, fish cocktail and a variety of drinks.

The prices are cheap and the staff are friendly. A large inflatable beer bottle guards the entrance.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

2 x Shrimp tacos - Cost: 16 Pesos each

Tacos served with 3 battered shrimps, salad leaves and a choice of sauces (including hot barbecue sauce and a mayonnaise with habanero peppers) and dressings (onions, coriander etc) available from a self-service counter.

Pacifico beer - Cost: 18 Pesos per bottle

Good quality, cheap seafood tacos in a friendly little restaurant!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Rincon Yucateco: Mexican fare in downtown Cancun

by SWFC_Fan Written Mar 14, 2006

Rincon Yucateco is a small informal restaurant located on Avenida Yaxchilan in downtown Cancun. It possesses a few indoor tables and a handful of outdoor tables.

It is open 24 hours a day and has a fairly extensive food menu, including an impressive selection of breakfast items (including various styles of eggs) available in the mornings. The standard menu includes a selection of soups (vegetable, turkey, lime....), salads, a Yucatan platter (a selection of local specialities), and various pork, chicken, beef and seafood dishes. Of course, there is also the usual selection of Mexican staples (tortillas, nachos, tacos, fajitas).

The waiters are friendly and speak good English and the service is quick and efficient.

I ate here twice during my visit to Cancun in February/March 2006.

Favorite Dish: During my two visits, I had:

Vegetable soup - Cost: 45 Pesos

I had this for a starter on both of my visits. It was a thin soup, but was much tastier than it looked, with carrot, potato and cucumber in. Served with a dish of tortillas and a dish of guacamole.

Steak and fries - Cost: 60 Pesos

Two extremely thin pieces of steak. The quality of the meat was very good, with very little fat, and it was cooked well done as I requested. Served with standard french fries, tomato, lettuce and cucumber.

Chicken fajitas - Cost: circa 50 Pesos

A large plate of tasty chicken pieces with fried onions and green peppers. The fajitas never turned up, but the meat was very enjoyable without the need to wrap it up in a fajita.

Bottle of Corona - Cost: 20 Pesos

Good quality food at competitive prices.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Los Arrecífes: Dinner Dining by the pool

by gipper84 Written Jul 4, 2005

Los Arrecífes was probably the nicest restaurant on the Moon Palace. David, me and his family and friends had supper here one late evening sort of by chance. We were visiting the second lobby at the other end of the resort and happened to stumble upon the restaurant. The food here was delicious. They brought us big racks of beef, chicken, lamb, and fish. They also brought us salads, and side orders like baked potatoes, and vegetables. The food was so good, but what was the neatest was when they lit the coffee on fire and poured it from cup to cup. The flame actually transferred from one cup to another. It was just so cool watching that happen. Overall I really liked this restaurant the most out of all on the resort. Plus the food was really filling. The restaurant was so nice on the inside. They set it up in the indoor pool area and next to the beach. The restaurant was partially open so you could feel the night breeze coming in off the ocean. Alot of married couples were eating here in the finer section reserved for newly weds.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Varied: So many to choose from!!!

by kazander Written May 4, 2004

As I look through Mom's photo album I notice something a bit odd, almost all of the pictures are taken in resturants! This might be because there are so many cool places to dine, with interesting themes and decor and entertainment. Some of the places we visited were Carlos and Charlie's, Le Mama de Tarzan, La Habitcuela(sp), Hard Rock Cafe, I'll have to go back and look up the rest. One place we went had dockside seating as well as Flamenco dancing. (I'll be sure to look that one up tonight) More to come!

• Danishchip's Profile Photo

Lorenzillo's: This Is The Place For Lobster In Cancun

by Danishchip Written May 19, 2004

This restaurant sits on the lagoon side of the hotel zone, Km 10.5. The atmosphere is great and the service is even better. Live Caribbean lobsters are the main attraction here. And you can even pick your own from their huge tank. You can have your lobster grilled, steamed, stuffed or breaded. They also have other seafood dishes including shrimp. They have a photographer available to snap your picture to remember a special evening. Sit outside near the water and feed the fish with food that is provided by the restaurant while watching the sunset.

Favorite Dish: The live lobster, grilled to perfection. They are priced by weight, so weigh your wallet before you choose. And make sure you order the caesar salad, made right at your table.

Cancún Hotels

Maya Caribe
Latest: Mar 13, 2014
Occidental Caribbean Village Cancun

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Restaurants

aznaphrodite's Profile Photo

Reviews and photos of Cancún restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cancún sightseeing.

Map of Cancún