Sports Events in Cancún

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Cancún

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Golf fields and tennis courts nearby

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 31, 2013

They suggest packages at TPC Cancun to Parnassus Resorts guests. Guests of Parnassus Resorts have golf packages included in their stay. Their suggestions include:
    • Unlimited Golf at TPC Cancun for one day
    • Roundtrip tarnsportation
    • Tee time
    • Practice facility access
    • Unlimited bottled water
    • Shared golf cart
    • 20% discount on equipment rental Taylor Made Brand & Callaway brand
    • Shower, lockers, and fresh towels after your game

You can watch my 2 min 21 sec Video Cancun Walk around Hilton Golf Fields out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Spa and Resort
    • Golf

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Watching football in Cancun

by SWFC_Fan Written Mar 16, 2006

On my first Saturday afternoon in Cancun I made my way to Estadio Cancun '86 to see the local football team in action.

The date was the 25th February 2006 and the game was between local side Pioneros de Cancun and visitors Albinegros Orizaba, in Mexico's Division 2a (a regionalised 3rd tier of Mexican football).

I purchased my ticket from the solitary ticket counter at the ground. I opted for the more expensive seats in the shaded stand (30 Pesos) as opposed to the seats in the opposite stand under the blazing sun (15 Pesos). I use the term "seats" loosely, as there are no actual seats, just two stands filled with concrete steps on which to sit!

A crowd of between 300 and 400 turned up for the game and there was no segregation. I therefore ended up with a group of a dozen or so visiting Orizaba fans right behind me. There was never any sense of trouble though, the crowd were good natured and largely consisted of families.

A number of food and drink vendors continually made their way through the crowd during the match, selling beers, soft drinks, crisps, nachos, ice creams.....

The standard of football wasn't great. The away team ended up winning the game 4-2, largely due to comical defending by both sides.....but it was a fantastic afternoon of entertainment for a very small price!

If you are in Cancun and looking for some football to watch, go and cheer on the Pioneros!!

The Golf Club at Moon Palace

by gipper84 Written Jul 4, 2005

The golf course at the Moon Palace is one of the nicest golf courses I have played on compared to the one's back in the states. The golf course is fairly new, and pays particular attention to the enviornment, trust me I know first hand spending some wasteful time in the roughs and bunkers. The golf course was designed and built with the unique concept of legendary golfer Jack Nicklaus. The course is surrounded my natural mangroves and full of exotic animals. I just enjoyed getting up early, (which sounds wierd but is true) and playing a good round of golf. David is not much of a golfer so I ended up teeing off with his dad at 7 am on Saturday, which was quite a feat for me. We played the whole course through to the end, even in the midst of 95 degree weather. It was really fun, playing on the course, and the caddy we had was really nice. He was very helpful in carrying our clubs, and driving us around the course. The lucky thing was that with our all-inclusive package we didn't have to pay to use the course. The course normally cost vistors about $250 dollars to use, which is quite expensive. Overall though the course is a really great course. I most of all liked the eye capturing scenery around the course. There are about 10 lakes on the course, and the green is perfectly maintained. I had alittle trouble on hole 13. The hole is quite long and has a good deal of booby traps to keep you busy. I ended up shooting like 7 or 8 over, which is really good. David's dad took me to school though on the course. He is really good, and he was really helpful in my selection of specific clubs for specific situations. The experience was great and I enjoyed every second of it.

Equipment: You should bring your own clubs if you want to play, or you can rent clubs there for about 50 dollars. David's dad and I ended up renting clubs because we forgot all about bringing our own.

Renting a catamaran

by gipper84 Updated Jun 28, 2005

The same day David and I went parasailing we also rented jet skis, and sailed in a catamaran. The catamaran was really fun. The guy took me out first and showed me how to stear the boat first before I actually went out with David. After taking me in, David just got on board and the guy told me I could show David how to sail. David and I sailed out with no trouble, but once we got out there, it was a sight for sore eyes. I completely screwed up the entire turn and flipped the boat. The thing to do when that happens is to find the hole where the ore comes through and pull on that until the boat flips back over. This is really easy so don't panic if it happens, because it happened to David and I a few times. Later that day David's dad took out one of the really big catamarans out of the harbour and we sailed on that as well it was really fun. I had never been sailing before but I really liked it. The small catamaran on the resort was included and was free, however the bigger one did cost to do it.

Equipment: No equipment necessary.

Working out at the Moon Palace

by gipper84 Written Jun 28, 2005

For those of you who like to work out, or run on the treadmills, The Moon Palace has its own gym with tons of equipment. I personally like to go to the gym and run on the treadmill just to stay in shape, so David and I one day before we got our included back massage went to the gym to work out. The gym is really nice, and is fairly big. It offers alot of equipment from treadmills, to weight machines, to even dumbells, and individual loose weights. One warning though is to not go under the influence of alcohol. One of the guys in the gym with us was drinking and he fell off the treadmill and got pretty bruised up. This is just something to do though in your spare time, when you have alittle bit of down time.

Equipment: Wear work out clothes, but no particular equipment needed.

Jet Skis

by gipper84 Updated Jun 28, 2005

David and I decided to rent Jet skis for a half an hour off of the resort, and boy was that fun. We started off going real fast, and then once we got used to it, we started trying different quick turns and daredevilish things to do. Soon we found ourselves flipped over and trying to get the jet ski turned back over. David's dumb self had flipped us and we were okay, but it was just funny seeing the two of us trying to get back on the darn thing. The guy watching over everyone ended up riding out with us and helping us, but even he couldn't help but get a good laugh. It was hilarious for the moment that it lasted, and overall we had a great time. For those of you who haven't jet skied make sure you wear a pair of glasses or something because the salt water will really burn your eyes. Overall a must do if you have the money and are alittle adventurous like me and Dave. Sorry the photo provided is generic, I still have to get mine from David's dad.

Equipment: Bring Sunglasses and that is it, everything else is included.

• Skiing and Boarding

Parasailing

by gipper84 Written Jun 28, 2005

Parasailing is probably one of the 2 or 3 best things to do in Cancun besides snorkeling and scuba diving, both of which are really fun. I loved parasailing off of the resort. It was so nice to get up about 200 feet in the area and just see the whole resort, first hand. The breeze up there is so nice, and you can just sit back and relax. Looking down at the water is also really nice. The water is so clear that you can literally see to the bottom out off of the beach. David and I had a blast doing this. It was so much fun.

Equipment: All the equipment is provided

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Padi Certification

by gabriellefox Written Feb 28, 2005

In only 4 days you can become a fully trained and certified PADI open water scuba diver. They supply everything you need to complete this course including classroom and pool training. 4 supervised ocean dives, books and equipment.With the new PADI CD-ROM course you can complete theory at home and become a PADI open water certified diver in just two days!!!

Equipment: They will supply all equipment or of course you are welcome to bring your own.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • School Holidays

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Water Sports

by gabriellefox Updated Feb 28, 2005

Cancun is naturally a haven for water sports of all kinds. Just about every kind of water sport is available here. Almost every beach has vendors that offer parasailing, banana rides, jet skis and other varieties of small watercraft. Parasailing is offered in different forms for one or two flyers, one of the variations offered here resembles a small flying boat that is perfect for the less adventurous. Jet skis, waverunners and parasailing are available on the Caribbean and on the usually calm surface of Laguna Nichupté, which also offers near perfect conditions for water skiing. World class scuba diving is available at many nearby locations, most notably, the islands of Cozumel and Isla Mujeres. A wide variety of packages are available, most of which include transportation. Snorkeling is practiced everywhere but the best locations are generally away from Cancun proper. A modern water park with a wave making machine, rivers, slides, a free fall thrill ride and restaurants, is located near Punta Nizúc

Equipment: Very good quality and well maintained equipment is available for hire and experienced instructors are available to ensure you are safe.

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Rent a Waverunner

by Etoile2B Written Feb 8, 2005

Rent a waverunner (jet ski) through your hotel activity desk. Our hotel had them for rent right on our beach and we were able to barter the price down a little. The waverunners available to us could seat two so the 4 of us rented two and split up - taking turns driving. The told us how far out we could ride them and we spent the afternoon jumping boats wakes and driving around the ocean. It was an exhilarating way to spend the afternoon. You can rent them in half hour or hour long increments and they give you a brief tutorial before letting you out in the open water.

Equipment: Rent the waverunners through your hotel activities desk and they'll provide all the equipment, including the life jackets.

• Beaches
    • School Holidays

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Parasailing

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 8, 2005

There are several companies that provide parasailing excursions. Check with the activities desk at your hotel or one of the many tour kiosks around the hotel zone to book. Try and bargain with them to bring down the price, but expect to pay around $40 US for a 15 minute sail. We were picked up right from our hotel's beach and shuttled out to the parasail boat. You can choose to fly solo or tandem. Parasailing gives you an unique and breathtaking view of the Caribbean and Cancun. I took my waterproof camera up with me.

Equipment: The parasail company will provide all the equipment you need for the ride. It's safe, fun, peaceful and beautiful soaring high above Cancun. While watching your friends you also get to enjoy the boat ride.

• Sailing and Boating

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Beach Volleyball

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 21, 2004

I enjoyed a short session of beach volleyball while we were at the Isla Mujeres beach resort. The teams were made up of a mixture of cruise ship crew and vacationers. It was not far to the beach if one needed to cool off!

• taryn_treloar's Profile Photo

A True Jungle Adventure!

by taryn_treloar Updated Dec 17, 2003

Rachel and I decided to go Kyacking one morning (it was a big decision after a hard night of partying...) and it was glorious.
    (although it was called a Jungle tour and it was not quite up to its name....) BUT...it was great and one of my favorite activites that the hotel provided. We got to go out into the Cancun bushes and see all the water life.

It was during this little adventure that Rachel and I met the 'Giants' from Italy. They were at least 6'8" each....wow. VERRRRRRY interesting those guys. Rachel and I are going to stay with them in Italy.

Equipment: All you need is a bathing suit (the rest is provided by the hotel)

• taryn_treloar's Profile Photo

Activities Provided at Hotels

by taryn_treloar Written Dec 12, 2003

While I was in Cancun for two week I basically did the activities everyday. It was a great way to meet new people and have fun at the same time.

The Hotel organized sporting events and activities throughout the whole day for anyone to join.

I played waterpolo almost everyday. I also loved the Kayaking, volleyball and beach soccer.

I met Gama through the activites, as he was an organizer for the Hotel I was at. We hung out often by the end of my trip.

Equipment: All you need is a bathingsuit

• siege's Profile Photo

Riding the banana

by siege Written Dec 19, 2002

Banana-Boating is a must in Cancun. Ride it with at least five people or else you'll be drinking a lot of salt water from your unsturdy boat tipping over many a time. Dare your boat drivers to go faster as well-they will be more than happy to see a bunch of foreigners go face-first into the ocean. Well worth the money.

Cancún Hotels

Blue Bay Club Cancun
Latest: Apr 7, 2014
Grand Oasis Caribbean Beach Resort

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Sports & Outdoors

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cancún locals.
Map of Cancún