Fun things to do in Cancún

Chichen Itza

Most Viewed Things to Do in Cancún

• Trailblazing's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by Trailblazing Written Apr 27, 2007

In Mexico, there's an argument about whether the world's second largest coral reef is at Cozumel or off of Playa Moreles. Some argue that Cozumel had the edge before the hurricane two years ago.

Here's what I know: The snorkeling trip I took off of a small boat from Playa Moreles far exceeded my expectations. I recommend exploring this area. Here's why:

1. Lots of coral formations, which means lots of fish.
    2. Fairly shallow waters so you can see everything.
    3. I have been a volunteer at an aquarium, so I'm difficult to impress, but the diversity of fish and sea critters was amazing.
    4. I got to chase a small sea turtle.
    5. The water was temperate and lovely.

Warnings: If you go with the group I did (and I don't think it even has a formal name, but they have the boat "Paulina"), they'll encourage you to stay with the group. The lead swimmer, any one of their employees, is inevitably a strong swimmer. He is a stronger swimmer than you. And the current is strong. I had a great time and was able to keep up with just a little more effort than I was planning on, but other snorkelers were worn out after our first 45-minute exploration and stayed on the boat at the second spot.

Expect to be forced to wear a life vest. They say it's the law in the reef's national park. Although I resisted the idea at first, it ended up being nice because it made it easy to rest in between fighting the current.

• National/State Park
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Shopping Haven

by easterntrekker Written Apr 11, 2007

Mexico is a shopping haven if you're in the market for jewellery and Cancun is a good place to start. We went with a couple of friends and we both did very well buying diamonds .Its best to buy from a reputable jeweller however and make sure you get a certificate . We felt comfortable at Diamonds International, they are all over the world.

• Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

• Senor Frogs

by jlandgl Written Dec 27, 2006

We Loved this place! They have contest going on all night long. Join in! There is a congo line every so often where you were given tequila shots. Just a lively, fun place. We did take our older kids there earlier in the night for the dancing. They loved it...but you should probably make sure they are no where around after 11:00 pm as things start to heat up. There is a time of 12am when no one under 18 is allowed.

• cmcarney's Profile Photo

Snokeling

by cmcarney Written Nov 17, 2006

We went snorkeling with one of the Chaza travel groups from our hotel. I believe the name of the place running the snorkeling was Paradise Travel. The price was very reasonable $66 each for roundtrip transportation and about 2 hours of snorkeling. Our trip was cut short due to a storm at our second reef. The water was very clear and clean. We did not see as many fish as when we snorkeled in the Bahamas, but saw very many different kinds and 2 stingrays. The water is amazingly shallow and the coral comes almost right up to the surface, it is really amazing.

• Beaches

• xristinaki's Profile Photo

jungle tour

by xristinaki Written Oct 21, 2006

this included a boat ride through the 'jungle' (just a whole lot of shrubs)....and snorkeling....this was a fun daytrip, but do not expect to see any wild animals...you get your own boat to ride..this was fun...watch your hat (our friends blew off :) the snorkelng was nice.

• rmlopez74's Profile Photo

Best Snorkeling Excursion!

by rmlopez74 Written Apr 21, 2006

If you are into snorkeling, (which, I mean honestly, who isn't?) than take the Aquaworld half day "Jungle Tour" excursion. You get to drive your own little 2-Person boat out to the snorkel spot. They are the coolest little power boats that actually go pretty fast. The trip out takes about 45 minutes in your little boat and you travel through the mangrove swamp area. It's very cool. We booked ours through Aquaworld, but I think I saw a few other companies out there when we were on our way. The only draw back is that all the snorkel companies basically take you out to the same spot, so depending on the day, it can get pretty busy. But the ocean is a big place, so don't let that stop you. this is definitely worth the $60 and the half day!

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Horseback Riding through the ocean

by meaganelizabeth Written Nov 7, 2005

There are many tours and activites on Cancun. This wasn't the greatest experience. There is a long bus ride to a horse farm, and though the place was beautiful and everyone spoke perfect english, we waited a long time to get started and there was no great game plan. I found this very unorganized. Once we were on horseback, a group of at least 30, we started out. We did not even get to trot. It was vey boring and slow. Then they took us into the water on horseback. This was very slow and kind of gross. Bareback isn't too comfortable. I guess it was an interesting thing to try, but I would never do it again. An entire day was used on this trip for I found it to be a waste.

• Horse Riding

• Kara01's Profile Photo

Bull Fight

by Kara01 Written Nov 2, 2005

As a animal loving American....the bull fight was not my favorite event. Especially the part where the horse gets it in the first ten minutes. It was a waste of money because I left at the first sight of blood. You are probably thinking.... "well, its a bull fight??!!" Yeah, all I can say is it was nothing like the Bugs Bunny cartoon, I think, I had in mind.

• Adventure Travel
    • Study Abroad

• Coco Bongo

by elgarbo Written Sep 29, 2005

There are plenty of clubs on the hotel strip, but none more entertaining than Coco Bongo. Part nightclub, part full on extravaganza. A cover fee of about $40 applies, but that covers all your drinks once you get inside.

When you step inside, you find a large room set out like an amphitheatre. About 10pm, the show starts and the party begins. Over the course of the night, music to suit all tastes will assault your ears, while entertainers dance, sing, and fly around the arena.

Midgets dressed as Beetlejuice drop from the rafters, toga clad dancers slide up and down ropes and acrobats swing across the rooftops. Balloons drift everywhere. The music goes from Robbie Williams to Michael Jackson to the almighty AC/DC and everywhere in between.

Somehow, I even scored a free t-shirt out of the evening. Certainly a well spent $40. Check it out.

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Senor Frogs Bar Leaping Tour

by Darkeyedgirl Written Aug 17, 2005

The best time you'll ever forget.

You'll hop a bus loaded with people just like you --- people who want to PAR-TAY!

Actually, the busses line up, 8 or so in a row, loaded with people who want to get loaded....

Air conditioned, soft & cushy busses, too.

You'll go eat first, after having a few drinks; then move on to have a few more drinks; and then on again to yet another for more drinks.

Watch as the night progresses --- people start to disappear; whether you choose to hop back on the bus with your fellow hoppers, or just stay where ya are, or... just pass out? You'll be having a great time!

Bring a camera though; because I guarantee it, if you make it to that last bar (We did!!!), you'll be too drunk to remember it. So snap some shots & check them out while you're nursing that hangover the following morning.

pirate ship

by iam1wthee Updated Jul 13, 2005

This one is not as good as the one in Puerto Vallarta. It is two ships that sail together and in the midst of the voyage they join together for a dueling performance.
    They have the dancing and contests. They have food which was just ok to me. My friend got food poisoning-allergic to pork. It does not land anywhere

The other passengers on board were more fun than the play that was put on. The service was decent though.

Party hopper tour

by iam1wthee Written Jul 13, 2005

The clubs visited are Pat O'briens, Coco Bongo, Daddy O, and Congo Terrace.

Pat O'Briens was pleasant. The dancing waiters were not that great though. At first I did not care for Daddy O. The space was more for a bar than a club. It did not pick up until they started to play the right kind of music. Congo Terrace bar was too small for all the people they tried to fit in that place. On a night when there is no tour the place is ok. Congo Bongo was the last and best. You dance a little then they have dancers come and perform. It was great. It was packed to the hilt. The tour was for 7 hours, however, they let everyone stay for as long as we wanted too. We were there for more like 9 hours and when my group left there were still other party hoppers inside the club.

At every club you get free drinks non-alcohol and alcohol at your request.

• Singles

Bullfight

This takes place every Wednesday
    The dances and rodeo were great. There was audience participation. First they selected some women in the audience and had them chase a lamb. Then they had these guys play soccer and had a baby calf come at them. This was hilarious. Lastly they had some guys do some bullfighting of their own again with a baby bull. The cock fighting was dull.

I admired the composure and confidence of the main bullfighter. However, I was a little saddened. I couldn't watch when the bull hit the horse. I had to cover my ears and eyes as well. Do you know that horse never fell. Amazing. It was an accident but gruesome to say the least. Lastly I was disturbed when they killed the bull. I did not know it was going to bother me cause I eat meat and am not an animal rights activist. Its the thought that this bull was raised for showmanship in order to die in front of people like a clown.

The cost is $35 +bus or taxi fare. It is a good walk to the bus stop. It is best to take a tour.

Caribean Carnival Cruise

by iam1wthee Written Jul 13, 2005

The boat has two levels the upstairs area seems to be where the wilder bunch sits on rickety chairs and downstairs is more family oriented and more comfortable sitting area. Upon entering the boat they give you drinks non-alcoholic goes to kids. In order to get that for yourself you have to be aggressive and just take the non-alcoholic one. You do different dances that the staff teaches you before you reach the island of isla mujeres. There you are given a dinner and a show. Some of it is audience participation. Then you get back on the boat and they play various tunes for you to dance too on your own. After you disembark the boat you can choose to dance at Fat Tuesdays for free or go to the other outdoor clubs near by.

• Singles

• patricia28's Profile Photo

The adventure starts!!!

by patricia28 Written May 27, 2005

Discover the tropical paradise of Cancun aboard your own private speed boat with an experienced guide leading the way. You and friend will drive through the lagoon and the dense mangrove jungles filled with exotic birds, tropical plant life and strange marine animals. Then you will arrive to a beach of cancun, here you can enjoy snorkeling in the beautiful caribbean among living Coral (this part is AMAZING) , there are milion colorful fishes.
    The tour takes two and a half hour and all you need is inclusive.

Cancún Hotels

Blue Bay Club Cancun
Latest: Apr 7, 2014
Grand Oasis Caribbean Beach Resort

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cancún locals.
Map of Cancún