Swim with Dolphins, Cancún

by Rivieramaya
  • Kaspian's Profile Photo

Dolphin Express: Dolphins, Snorkel, & Isla Mujeres

by Kaspian Updated Apr 14, 2006

This is one of the most fun package-tours I've ever done. The Dolphin Express is a double-decker boat that travels from Cancun to Isla Mujeres. Departure time from Playa Langosta Pier is 10 a.m., and the boat returns at 4:30 p.m. The fare is about $30 and includes a continental breakfast, lunch, and drinks. You have to pay extra if you want to do the snorkel (about $20) or dolphin (about $60) options.
    From the upper-deck you enjoy a fantastic view of Cancun and Isla Mujeres amid neon-blue water.
    The boat stops at Pirate Village on Isla Mujeres where passengers wanting to swim with the dolphins, scuba, or snorkel can go their separate ways. A smaller boat took us out to the reef to snorkel. The swim was not an easy task--you're in choppy water for about 30 minutes. I suggest only people in good shape try it. I worried about some of the older people that started gagging--the boat is too far away to reach anybody struggling. Once they boat you back to the park you can have a shower, swim with the dolphins, have a drink, or lounge on the beach.
    It was a great buffet lunch where we sat in open-air palapas atop a small cliff. There were colourful parrots and little cabana shops.
    The boat then travels to downtown Isla for about a two-hour stop so you can do some shopping.
    The Dolphin Express's staff was absolutely fantastic. When it started raining on the way back--they cattled us all to the lower deck, gave us free drinks, and started playing games. They were so funny and had us laughing so hard some of us had to leave the room to regain composure.
    Your hotel will probably suggest that you do their tour and not the Dolphin Express. Hotel tours can be very amateur--they pack everyone onto a tiny catamaran and people have to cling to the hull for dear life. I've heard (and personally been on) nightmarish Isla tours.
    This package is well worth the price. It's a great tour of Isla Mujeres even if you don't snorkel or swim with the dolphins. It's a fun day and it'll leave you happy. Don't forget your swimsuit!

• Diving and Snorkeling

• JanPeter74's Profile Photo

Swim with Dolphins in Cancun

by JanPeter74 Updated Mar 5, 2004

If you ever have the chance to go and swim with dolphins, just do it. We did and what an experience it was!!!

We visited the Interactive Aquarium halfway the Cancun hotelzone, because we were told that this is a place where they treat the dolphins very well. (At some other places, dolphins are rather stressed because of the large amounts of tourist they have to "entertain")

We spent half an hour in the water, with sometimes one, sometimes two dolphins shared among 6 persons. Highlights were the dolphin kiss (beso), see my profile pic. and the footpush, where two dolphins push you at your feet across the basin. What a feeling this is!!!

Bring an underwatercamera for some snapshots while you are in the water. And we even filmed eachother during the footpush. The pic is a downloaded still from my filmcamera, so that's why it is not so sharp.

Apart from the dolphins you have also access to the rest of the aquarium, where you can stroke rays, starfish, sea cucumbers, etc. as well.

Remember, it is quite expensive, but a once in a lifetime experience.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

Dolphin Discovery

by Heavens-Mirror Written Sep 26, 2005

Dolphin Kiss

Swimming with dolphins was one of the best memories of my holiday to Mexico. I highly recommend going with Dolphin Discovery as they have been astablished since 1990 & they give you the experience of a lifetime.

I went to the Dolphin Discovery in Isla Mujeres which was beautiful, you get a boat over which takes about 30 minutes & its a nice relaxing day. You have many programmes to choose from, not only can you swim with dolphins, they also have baby sharks, sea lions & even stingrays..... many to choose from.

At the end of the day you get a video of your experience aswell as a choice of some photos which are taken professionally of you during your experience.

• jag17's Profile Photo

Incredible Experience

by jag17 Written Jun 27, 2004

Getting Soaked

If you have the opportunity, you should definitely swim with the dolphins. I know that Ixcaret and Isla Mujeres both have programs available. Since the numbers are limited of how many can swim each day, it's probably easier on Isla Mujeres. They have more dolphins available, and reservations can be made in advance. They are beautiful, friendly animals and you will never forget the experience.

• swim with dolphins, Riviera Maya

by Paccifer Updated May 29, 2008

If you swam in a natural environment sure you saw seaweed or some water organism natural of course. If you swan in a piscine like interactive aquarium could be something rare about clean like mould. Because the feces go to the bottom remember all those things fall.
    I swam In Delphinus Riviera Maya was a fabulous swim in a natural environment, pool is big, this is beside Xcaret, and the programs are better, more time, small groups, friendly staff.
    I bought www.delphinusworld.com and took 10% off. Where did you swim??

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Swim with the Dolphins

by boltonian Written Sep 16, 2009

Tourist Photo

To swim with the dolphins, you are spoilt for choice in Cancun.

I whittled it down to 2 locations. One was Dolphin Discovery, a short boat ride from Cancun, or the Interactive Aquarium on the hotel zone strip.

This was based on reviews I had read.

Discovery was way more expensive, but did allow the opportunity to interact with Manatee and Sea Lions as well as Dolphins.

In the end, I decided that the cost, plus the fact that you could take in your own camera, meant that I went with the Interactive Aquarium.

I made the right choice. This was also a lesson about dolphins, they trainers really cared for the creatures. You get to spend an hour with them in a small group. They have 3 pools, so each set of dolphins only work once every 3 hours.

After a demonstration, we got to shake flippers, and get a kiss and foot push propelling. We also got some free time with the dolphins.

You can take in your own camera, but they do film and take pics for you to buy if you want at $20 per photo.

While you wait for the experience, you can walk round the small but interesting aquarium. They also offer the chance to go into the shark tank in a perspex tank in order to feed the sharks. However, this looked pretty lame as the sharks were not interested in the food.

Cost was $135

• Swim with Delphinus

by Paccifer Written May 2, 2008

Beautiful dolphin

I swam with dolphins in Delphinus Riviera Maya cause I didn’t pay entrance like the parks, was a wonderful experience. It’s difficult to find dolphins swimming freely in natural surrounding, you can definitely enjoy the experience is a natural pool, isn’t a typical, they get a natural view. The activities are incredible. First they went for us at Hotel in Playa Carmen, next they introduce us about dolphins, gave us care instructions around 10 min. My group was 5 persons now we were ready to star the swim with dolphins, was amazing I can kiss them, be close to the dolphin gave me peace, we dance  and they swam so fast around us. The instructors are friendly and I can watch a pretty close friendship between dolphins & trainers. Foot-push is the best!! You have to live it!! The Delphius staff talked about the research institute for dolphin preservation and reproduction and they seem to be very professional, I learned a lot.. in fact, I watched a dolphin birth in a video they played.
    Pic are proof of the experience
    Everyone done excite, now I get a good memorial

• Women's Travel
    • Photography

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Swimming with Rescued Dolphins

by brkilbourne Written Jun 6, 2010

Echo kiss

We were offered one free swim with dolphin & 3 more at ½ price for booking thru Expedia for 5 nights. Make sure you bring all print outs when booking. Make sure you have one that states the # of days required to stay and the dates. That said we had a great time. All dolphins at the Cancun Wet & Wild are rescued dolphins. Our dolphin, Echo, had a destroyed retina and was rescued from Australian waters when beached and dying from infection from bites suffered when attacked by a school of small sharks and he had the scares to prove it. Usually there are up to 15 people to a session. We lucked out because the trainer was taking back Echo as his trainer. They wanted to see how he reacted first time out. Great for us, 50 minutes close up and personal .

• Rivieramaya's Profile Photo

Swimming with dolphins: a life experience

by Rivieramaya Written Feb 9, 2009

Delphinus Riviera Maya

I am a dolphin lover. Over 10 years I have been traveling around the earth with an special goal: swim with dolphins. Recently I visited Cancun and the Riviera Maya, a great place for those people who love the sea, incredible sunsets, archeological visits, nigth life, and of course, dolphins.
    There are several places to swim with dolphins around Cancun and the Riviera Maya, but I clearly remember, as one of my best of all, that incredible day in Delphinus Riviera Maya, a big natural area with fresh sea water.
    The dolphins are very well treated and the swimming programs allow people to establishe a deep comunication with these animals. Truly I got very surprised about this place. Dont miss it.

Josh.

• Rivieramaya's Profile Photo

Delphinus Cash Back

by Rivieramaya Written Jul 16, 2009

Xcaret

Recently I bought a swimming with dolphins pass to Delphinus, but I made it via a travel agency. Doing it that way you can get 40 dollars cash back to be use in any other tour given by the travel agency where you bought the swim with dolphins ticket. This refound opens the possibility to make another adventure in a cheaper way, as swimming with the whale shark or many others. Take advantage, is a great opportunity. Dont fotget it, it name is Delphinus Cash Back.

• happydance's Profile Photo

Dolphin Discovery was amazing!

by happydance Written Jan 31, 2007

Dolphin Discovery was amazing! I chose the Dolphin Royal Swim because it allowed me to swim with two dolphins in a very small group of eight people. The first thing they do is introduce you to the dolphins they give you kisses then dance with you! After the introductions, the instructor has people swim out in groups of two for the dolphin ride and the foot pushes. I floated in the water with my hands out, making a T formation and waited for the dolphins to take me for a ride. In just a matter of moments, I could feel their amazing skin gliding across my hands. The two dolphins took me for a ride while I held on to their fins; during the exciting foot-push maneuver, I glided across the water as they pushed me from the soles of my feet. It was fun to have the dolphins take me for a ride but my favorite part was hugging the dolphins and rubbing their backs. It was not cheep to swim with dolphins, $ 140.00 but it truly was the experience of a lifetime

• Amber-LovesDolphins's Profile Photo

Dolphins swim and slaughter

by Amber-LovesDolphins Written Sep 12, 2012

I had no idea that the same people who capture the "lucky" ones, slaughter off the rest of the pod. None of the dolphins in captivity at these parks are "rescued". They are actually orphans.

My heart broke when I watched how these innocent creatures are captured just so that I and my kids could get to swim with and kiss them.

I know it cannot make up for what has already happened, but I am now taking time to write to share with fellow travelers what I have learned.

Cayman is one of hundreds of aquatic parks that purchase Dolphins from an industry that slaughters thousands each year. The sad fact is that the dolphin park industry would not exist were it not for our want to swim with them. These parks pay $50,000-100,000 for each dolphin and then charge us to swim with them.

Will you please join me in getting informed about this tragedy and sharing with others?

Blessings,
    Amber

• Diving and Snorkeling

• rmlopez74's Profile Photo

Hanging with Flipper

by rmlopez74 Written Apr 20, 2006

Putting on a show

Okay, it has always been a thing I wanted to do. To swim with the dolphins. Let me tell you, it is worth the $100 or so it will cost you. We booked ours through the Pargue Nizuc. It is a couple of hours. Plenty of interaction with the Dolphins. You get to do a couple of tricks with them and they even video your experience. Very cool. I recommend it completely.

It's amazing to be that close to these animals. You get a real sense for how powerful they are. Definitely gives you a new appreciation for them.

• Adventure Travel

• DawnMarie92578's Profile Photo

Swim with the dolphins at Isla!

by DawnMarie92578 Written Aug 13, 2004

The most awesome experience I have ever had! I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money but I can honestly say that it was well worth it and everyone in my group agrees! if you have the extra $120 or however much it may cost when you can go... SPEND IT!!! We took 1/2 hr or so ferry to Isla. we had to take the 11am ferry and our swim time wasn't until 2pm. Once we got to the island we had nothing to do and no one to direct us on what we could do to kill the time before our swim. There is a very small beach that is not nearly the best and also a swimming pool that is about the size of a pick-up truck (not exagerating) and always full of people. They have a pavillion where they serve food and an all you can eat lunch buffet for $20us, there is also a small bar. I suggest doing some research before going so you can kill time before your swim, however once we swam with the dolphins we forgot all about the miserable time we had before the swim. ( It also took us like an hour before we discovered that there was a beach..lol) One last thing... they film your swim and take pics... the video (DVD) cost me $50us but how could I NOT buy the thing??? And the pics were $16 for larger prints and $12 for 2 small prints. You cannot take camera into the water during your swim but you may take pics on dock before getting into water, or have someone who is not swimming video tape and take pics while you swim. With my overall experience I say... swim with the dolphins, but I HAVE TO stress that you need to get the most interactive swim... it is an awesome experience.... kiss the dolphin, dolphins jump over a pole you hold, foot push, dorsal tow, and "free time" (your group is in a circle and the dolphins swim around all of you while you hold out your hands to "pet" them for about 10 minutes) The whole thing is 1 hour with 1/2 hour orentation and a 1/2 hour swim time. There are 8 people to a group and 2 dolphins for each group. If you see Fatima and Lewis (my dolphins) give them an extra kiss for me!

• Adventure Travel
    • Theme Park Trips

• Visit the Interactive Aquarium...

by marcmalano Updated Apr 4, 2011

Visit the Interactive Aquarium in the Isla Shopping Village (Hotel Zone) and swim with dolphins, or feed a shark if you prefer. There are several places to swim with dolphins including Parque Nizuc, Isla Mujeres, XCARET, and Xel-Ha, however the overall price is better at the Aquarium considering the transportation costs and entrance fees of the other places. The aquarium is conveniently located, and you swim in cleaner water (no sand to cloud your view). We purchased a video of the experience for $30 and it was very professionally done. Don't miss out on this experience!

Instant Answers: Cancún

• Egea's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I went with my family last month to Playa del Carmen and we book Xelha dolphinclusive delphinus because we want to do a lot of things in the same day, and trust me, it was very fun for everyone, we swam with dolphins, the primax group, in the foot push thing my wife almost lost her top but she kept smiling. After the swim we snorkel in the xelha lagoon, lay in the sun and eat a lot of guacamole, tacos,mexcian food and beer, it’s all inclusive food and drinks. In the afternoon we return to the dolphin’s area and snorkel with them and then they took us to our hotel. I slept all the way back. I was a great day!

• Egea's Profile Photo