Water Sports, Cancún

Near Puerto Morelos
    by trvlrtom
    Me in the driving seat!
    by vera-s
    Best place to enjoy calm waves
    by BruceDunning
  • trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Snorkeling near Cancun

by trvlrtom Written Apr 25, 2010

Near Puerto Morelos

There is no good snorkeling in Cancun, but not far is some of the best in the hemispheres. Our favorite is at Puerto Morelos, midway between Playa del Carmen and Cancun. Just get to the main square in Puerto Morelos, by the pier, and you can hire someone with a launch to take you to the reef a few minutes away. We arrived there at 8:00 am one day and were amongst the most amazing schools of fish within 1/2 hour. It's a natural preserve, and the coral is great, at a distance of between 4 and 12 feet. The guy who took us out was friendly and helpful. It's much more low key than Cozumel or Playa. We were just about the only ones out on the reef. We also once took an excursion here from Cancun, which included pick up at the hotel and everything else. They didn't take us directly to Puerto Morelos, but to a launch site north of town. The snorkeling was just as good, out to the same reef.

We also have been to Cozumel, and were quite disappointed. There are a lot of guys when you get off the ferry trying to get you to go, but the guide and captain we got happened to be grumpy. They took us to three sites south of the town, but the coral reef is nothing to see, and it is pretty deep, between 20 to 30 feet. But what bothered us the most was that the guides lure the fish in with food. The fish come swarming around when the food is out, but there are also a lot of other tourists swarming around these feeding frenzies. At Puerto Morelos, feeding is not allowed and the setting is much more natural. There were more fish too. In Cozumel I asked about going to better sites further south, but that has to be arranged by hooking up with a diving excursion, which takes more time and money.

Another day we went to the lagoon at Akumal, between Playa and Tulum. This is also a preserve, and you can swim out to the coral at the mouth to the lagoon. It was impressive and fun, if not as brilliant as Puerto Morelos. Akumal, however, is further from Cancun.

• vera-s's Profile Photo

Drive your own speedboat!

by vera-s Updated Feb 25, 2008

Me in the driving seat!

We took the Aquatours Jungle Tour which involved driving your own speedboat through the Nichupte Lagoon through the mangroves out into the ocean where you had time to get out the boat and snorkel in the world's second largest coral reef. It's great even for beginners as you go out in a small group of 5 or 6 boats which is led by a guide who you follow every step of the way. Then, on your way home, you get the chance to really speed up and zig zag from side to side as your passenger waves their snorkel from side to side in the air to indicate "go faster!". A great experience, even more so when I was in the driving seat as I made my new husband scream like a girl!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Water Activity on shore

by BruceDunning Updated Jan 30, 2008

In the air you can see it all

There are a lot of activities to do on the beach, including the arieal, snorkel, scuba, or build a sand castle. Toward the north part, the beaches are more crowded and the south seems best to have some open space.

• onestepaway's Profile Photo

Shotover Jet Boat

by onestepaway Written May 29, 2007

The Jet Boat

This was one thrilling ride!!!! My fiancee and myself signed some little waier for a free beer ater the ride, meaning you are signing your life away,lol! Its a small waiver telling you, that Mexico isnt liable for your ass! But it was so worth it! This boat is quick as it skims over the water and does 360's, it whips and hangs corner like you wouldnt believe. This is a must do!

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Jet Skiing

by malianrob Updated Feb 10, 2007

We rented sea dos from the front of our hotel. You can rent them for 1/2 hour or more. It was alittle pricey and we rented them for about one hour. I think a 1/2 hour would have been enough. The water was great and seadoing was fun. There is no one watching you so be careful and drive responsibly.

• Jungle Tour

by jlandgl Written Dec 27, 2006

We took the jungle tour from the Sunrise Marina in Cancun. My husband, son and I hopped in a small speed boat and toured with a group across the Nichupte Lagoon. We went to the National Park and snorkeled which was truly amazing. The guide went down with us and showed us particular coral and fish. This was probably the best snorkeling I have done because they did get involved and took the time to explain to you what you are seeing. The ride back across the lagoon was amazing, we took the last tour of the day so the sun was setting across the water on our ride back. The most beautiful sight I have ever seen!

• ChrystyD's Profile Photo

Diving in Cancun

by ChrystyD Written Sep 17, 2006

The Three Amigos

I know Cancun is not known for it's diving and that Cozumel is just down the coast, but my friends and I had a fantastic dive there. The water was very warm and the visibility was probably some of the best I've seen. This was a shallow dive, but there was a good spectrum of plants and fish to be found.

• Kara01's Profile Photo

wave riding for snorkeling

by Kara01 Written Nov 13, 2005

On one day of our vacation/spring break we went out on waveriders and did a bit of snorkeling. I think this was my favorite activity on this trip. The water was choppy and our guide was going fast. We had to quickly learn how to speed across the water to keep up. Very exciting. When we got to the desired location....it was beautiful. Mainly because I have never done anything like this before and I was a Biology major at my university. I was a little nervous when I saw the barracuda. I think they are harmless as long as you let them be.

• School Holidays

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

Wet & Wild in Cancun

by Heavens-Mirror Written Sep 26, 2005

Wet 'n Wild has a lot of things for families to do together. You can relax and drift away on the Lazy River or the Wave Pool, while thrill-seeking teens can experience the Kamikaze. Kids will love additions to the children's playground, which features a sand bucket.

And if the family wants to spend time together, they can enjoy the multi-passenger ride in the Bubba Tub!

Surrounded by wild tropical vegetation, Parque Nizuc is the only water park located within Cancun’s Hotel Zone you are only a short distance from a refreshing experience.

It covers over 18 acres of land and 800 feet of white sand beach areas. I really enjoyed wet & wild, it was a great day out for all ages. Make sure if you go that you wear a decent & secure bikini or swimming costume because you will need it. Hehe

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Parasail for the best view of Cancun!

by Darkeyedgirl Written Aug 17, 2005

look for this & do it

Of all the beauty & interesting things to see & do in Cancun, I think this was just about the coolest. It was relaxing, but fun; we got some awesome aerial shots from way up there. You can see the hammerheads swimming in the water below (way far out, not near people), you get to see the peninsula from up high... and well it is just the coolest thing to be tethered to that boat by a thin line as you float along.

If you are afraid of heights, I'd NOT recommend it; however, it's not a sensation of falling or flying or anything... there's so much tension in that parasail, it feels like you're sitting on solid ground way-up-high.

Don't panic up there and listen to the parasail guide (you have to guide yourself back down to the ground). Just enjoy the ride, and if you puke, at least it goes into the water!

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Quintana Roo

by gabriellefox Updated Feb 28, 2005
    Snorkel

The coast of Quintana Roo is bathed by shallow, crystal-clear, green-blue waters, lined by beaches of fine white sand, punctuated by numerous coves, bays and islands, with a backdrop of lush tropical vegetation. It is here that Tulum stands, on a cliff, overlooking the Caribbean. The most important Maya archaeological site on the coast, it is 127 kilometers south of Cancun.
    Xel-Ha, is a breathtaking combination of jungle flora and fauna, freshwater (sinkholes), caves, and ocean splendor is guaranteed to please all five of your senses. Wander the jungle trails, snorkel to your hearts content, or take a nap on Hammock Island.

• School Holidays

• Jungle Tour with Snorkeling

by stacypooh Written Dec 3, 2004

Went on a "Jungle Tour". It was a 2 1/2 hour excursion total. We left from Blue Ray Marina (2 people per speedboat). Followed a Tour Guide and there were a total of 3 boats in our group which made it 6 persons for one guide.
    Domingo was our tour guide. Very friendly.

Drove the speedboats (easy to drive) down the lagoon and out to the ocean to the coral reef - probably about an 8 mile trip one way. When we got to our location, we were told how to snorkle and were given about 45 minutes to look around on our own.

Tour was called a Jungle Tour but not really any so-called tour information given by our guide...as we were speeding down the lagoon and he couldn't communicate with us. The tour was more enjoyment than informative which is exactly what we were looking for.

Our first time doing any snorkeling and we loved it....would do it again for sure.

Go early in morning to avoid large amounts of people there. We went at 9:00 and were first to depart. On our way back, we passed at least 40 boats on their way out.

Our tour didn't include transporation to marina, but we walked and it wasn't far.

• jag17's Profile Photo

Hang On!

by jag17 Written Jun 27, 2004

Postcard Photo

Many companies in town offer jungle tours. They are all basically the same. They provide all equipment needed for a 3-4hr jungle tour and snorkel trip. You will ride a 2-person Aquaray (jet ski type vehicle) through the natural mangroves along the Nichupte Lagoon. You will arrive at the natural reef park after about a 45 minute ride. You will then have time to swim and snorkel in the area before returning.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Swimming with Sea Turtles

by kazander Written May 7, 2004

I couldn't really decide where to put this tip, it has pros and cons...

We went to a place that advertised swimming with the magnificent sea turtles. I couldn't wait. When we got there it turned out to be a fenced off area off of a dock where they kept these poor guys. I loved being so close and swimming with them, but I couldn't help but feel bad for them. All these kids jumping all over them and they can't get away:(

• JanPeter74's Profile Photo

Swimming underground !!!

by JanPeter74 Written Mar 10, 2004

Most rivers (if not all) on the Yucatan peninsula flow underground. At some places you will find openings in the ground from where you see the water below you. These openings are called Cenotes and were used by the Mayas for drinking water and sometimes (e.g. in Chichen Itza) even to sacrifice people in them.

If you have the chance, go swim in one of these cenotes. It is quite an experience if you go on a trip in one of the caves and all of a sudden you see jungle and blue sky above you.

If you look at the picture, you can see small black catfish in the blue water. An hour or so after this picture was taken, we actually swam down there.

TIP: Bring a single use underwatercamera if you go down there, but remember that your pictures will most likely end up rather dark.

Instant Answers: Cancún