Xel-Ha, Cancún

Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juárez Km 240, locales 1 & 2, módulo B, 77780 Quintana Roo, Mexico +52 800 009 3542

• Xel-Ha
    by solopes
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Nice park

by solopes Updated Dec 20, 2013

Rivalling with its neighbour Xcaret, this park is an absolute "must see". It doesn't have so many attractions as an amusement park, but it is gorgeous as a natural park. It is a breeding area for fish, and bathing in such a natural environment a fabulous experience. Only a few dozens kilometers far from town, it is easily reache by bus, and usually seen together with Tulum ruins.

Fernanda didn't swim, preferring to sit by the water, with a small bag to feed the fish. A big one jumped out of the water and grabbed the entire bag, with her shouting and laughing.

Xel-Ha - Mexico Xel-Ha - Mexico Xel-Ha - Mexico
    • National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

• Visit the Interactive Aquarium...

by marcmalano Updated Apr 4, 2011

Visit the Interactive Aquarium in the Isla Shopping Village (Hotel Zone) and swim with dolphins, or feed a shark if you prefer. There are several places to swim with dolphins including Parque Nizuc, Isla Mujeres, XCARET, and Xel-Ha, however the overall price is better at the Aquarium considering the transportation costs and entrance fees of the other places. The aquarium is conveniently located, and you swim in cleaner water (no sand to cloud your view). We purchased a video of the experience for $30 and it was very professionally done. Don't miss out on this experience!

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Xel-Ha / Excaret decision

by brkilbourne Written Feb 18, 2010

Been to both several times. Although Xel- Ha is very nice ( owned by the same paople ) Xcaret has 10 times more to do and see. Xel- Ha is almost entirely water activities while Xcaret has more water activities, a zoo, an aquiriam, smaller shows during the datime, a great night show and more restaurants. Yes wait untill you get down there to book.

• AshleeS's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by AshleeS Updated Apr 26, 2006

All inclusive (all you can eat ice-cream), beautiful location tons to do. You can snorkel all over, there is a place to sit in a tube and let the current move you from one end to the other, even in caves I beleive (I didn't have time to do this), you can cliff jump (not really high but high enough for me). You can sit on the beach or in a resturant, or it is expensive but you can swim with the dolphins. Trust me you will want a whole day here, don't split your day up between a few places (I think they do packages to Tulum on the same day, we didn't do that and we still didn't see everything).

• UneBanane's Profile Photo

Heaven On Earth

by UneBanane Written Nov 8, 2005

Snorkeling in the main area is amazing as there are many schools of fish and turtles swimming about alongside you. It's a wildlife reserve and is very clean. If you go further up the trail, you can go cave hopping, ropeswinging and cliff diving (HIGHLY recommended). You can also rent out an inner tube and float down the lazy river all day. There is also dolphin swims for a fee. These need to be reserved a couple of days before you go.

Xel-Ha Fish
    • Adventure Travel

• PopeyeD's Profile Photo

Xel Ha

by PopeyeD Updated Oct 16, 2005

Almost a two hour ride south of Cancun (we took a tour bus that we booked through our hotel). Natural Eco-Park with very good snorkeling!! Best spot we found was near the floating bridge. Saw a large sting ray, and a huge barracuda (see pic), as well as tons of other types of fish. Cenotes were closed do to Hurricane Emily. Also has a Mayan Cave, Cliff Jump, Lazy River (long and lazy), Swim With Dolphins (an extra $100 a person - we didn't do it), and Beaches to relax.
    We opted for all-inclusive tickets which includes food (breakfast & lunch) and drinks (beer & frozen drinks) as well as a life jacket and snorkel gear (free snorkel to keep), towels, and a locker. There were a few different restaurants to choose from. Well worth the extra $25 a person.

Parrots 5 Foot Barracuda The Lazy River

• amybrooke's Profile Photo

Snorkle-Swim-Relax

by amybrooke Written Aug 16, 2005

Our bus drove about 15 minutes and we were in the middle of a beautiful fantansy land. There is alot to do here. We snorkled (a barracuda actually swam right past me)! Many swam with the dolphins or just relaxed by the many pools. There are alot of places to grab snacks. I highly recommend!!

• gipper84's Profile Photo

"Where the water is born" is what Xel Ha means

by gipper84 Written Jun 28, 2005

Xel Ha was the second destination on our trip to Tulum and it was one of the nicest eco parks I have ever visited. It just reminds me of being trapped in the Washington Zoo, with a sense of security and amazement. It is so unique to see the animals in their daily habitat and be part of the experience. Xel Ha is approximately 75 miles south of Cancun and within 8 miles of the ancient Mayan ruins of Tulum. Xel Ha is a natural aquarium with lots to see and do. David and I went snorkeling here and had a blast. It was the first time I had been snorkeling but with David as my teacher I caught on fast. I loved looking down in the water at all the fish and seeing the real pretty reef. I had an undescribeable sensation snorkeling here. I also got a chance to swim with the dolphins. David's mom was hilarious because when the dolphins picked her up out of the water she screamed really loud and we all laughed so hard. She was okay though. After snorkeling and swimming I would recommend taking a walk along the myriad of paths through the mangrove forests or maybe take a trip along the underground river. This was a really fun experience because the forest is just so overwhelming. Other fun things to do is to feed the fish from the floating bridge. This was just an overall great experience that was fun for all of us. We got this as a deal through the Moon Palace. I would definetly recommend that to save some money.

• cchiuching's Profile Photo

Xelha - nice nice nice for singles like me

by cchiuching Written May 31, 2005

I was stupid!
    I found that the all-inclusive fee is US $45.81 (Internet fee) only! in its official site! though not including transportation from and to cancun hotels.
    I paid USD98 in Cancun! though including transportation from and to cancun hotels.
    the park is great! great for snorkelling beginner! many fishes!
    i like the plant nursary tour too! very informative to me! (i know nothing about plants)
    floating on the river can be very tiresome! not that relaxing! but i still like it!
    food so-so.
    but no time to enjoy food anyway LOL unless u don't want to do anything LOL

Great for Snorkelling
    • Luxury Travel

• patricia28's Profile Photo

Xel-Ha

by patricia28 Written May 27, 2005

The word Xel Há is a combination of Maya terms which mean " water entrance " or "where the waters are born" in reference to the geography of this place. This also wonderful park is full of things to discover and enjoy. The main attraction at Xel Há Park is precisely its cove or inlet. Because of the combination of sea water with fresh subterranean currents of sweet water, the site is a natural aquarium hosting hundreds of marine species and tropical fish. So you can't resist to spend some time under the water snorkeling.
    Here you will find:
    Turtle and dolphin sanctuaries
    Spa
    Aquatic adventures
    Eco tours
    Maybe at the end of the day you are gonna be wishing spend all your life in a place like this.
    You have to visit it!!

• Aquarium
    • Zoo

• ratherton's Profile Photo

Xel-Ha

by ratherton Written Apr 9, 2005

Heading south from Cancún you’ll find Xel-Ha. This is normally combined as a day-trip from Cancun with a visit to Tulum. Xel-Ha is a fantastic place to relax and take in the natural beauty of the lagoon. It’s a great place to snorkel and my favourite part of Xel-Ha is the drifting down the river that flows into the sea, watching the marine life. It’s also possible to swim with dolphins here. Their website will have the latest prices and let you book online, which is recommended

Cruising down the river

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

One day is not enough!

by gabriellefox Written Feb 28, 2005

Xel Ha (pronounced Shell-Haw) national park seems like the largest aquarium in the world, only you are in a natural environment and it is a park, with many other attractions. Swimming and snorkeling in the warm protected lagoons and canals offer even the novice a chance to enjoy thousands of brightly colored tropical fish. This can be combined with walking trails and even a small museum. There are parrots, dolphin shows, hammocks and music, ice cream vendors and of course - rolling beer bars. Everything you need can be rented, there is even an all inclusive entry package that includes meals and drinks along with your snorkeling gear. Xel Ha is a really great place to spend the day and is both relaxing fun for the whole family.

Dolphins
    • National/State Park

• Ricardo79's Profile Photo

Relaxing and Enjoyable day!

by Ricardo79 Updated Sep 13, 2004

This place is like a dream. We booked the trip from a vender at the side of the road who seemed pretty good. The trip was to include 3 hours at Talum (15mins from Xelha) and 4 hours at Xelha. He told us everything was included apart from Scuba Diving and swimming with dolphins the cost was $55 each.

It was about a 1 hour drive from Cancun and the coaches were comfortable. We decided on the way to miss out Talum and spend the full day at Xelha, meaning we had lost out on about $7 each, but not to worry.

On the way the rep explained that there were two packages for Xelha, the normal and the all inclusive. We thought we had the all inclusive but we found out we did not meaning once in Xelha we would be paying for everything!! After the rep gave us a run down of the prices we decided to go for the all inclusive and pay an extra $25 each. This brought our total cost up to $80 each, which I think was still about average comparing to other people, so we did not let it spoil our day.

All Inclusive will include your lockers, snorkeling equipment, food for day etc.
    You need to give them some sort of deposit for everything you take eg hotel key, $20, credit card, so make sure you have this to hand.

There are a number of places to eat with a variety of dishes to suit most needs, although it can get busy.

The main lagoon is cool for relaxing in a rubber ring or just going for a snorkel. There are some lovely fish and nearer the forest end there are some lovely turtles and the water is alot clearer. The lagoon is accessible from many places around the park and there are also many cliff jumps.

There are loads of nice walks and make sure you get an ice cream as they are very very nice. Its really worth a visit and even though we decided to spend the full day there, we would have loved more time.

If you have a bit of spare cash ($110 approx) have a swim with the dolphins, we did and it really was a once in a life time experience and highly recommended.

Xelha Lagoon

• Xel-Ha Fun!!!

by LSmith0928 Written Jul 29, 2004

I would highly recommend visitiing Xel-Ha. We stayed in Cancun so it was quite a drive for us, but it was well worth it. My husband and I had never snorkeled and wanted to experience that on our vacation to Cancun. I found this the best place to do it because, although the price seems expensive, it includes eveything (except for swimming with dolphins or scuba diving, which we were not interested in). Other tours that we did never included snorkeling. We ended up paying about $140.00 for both of us and we were given a locker, two towels, snorkeling equipment, life jackets, buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner and unlimited snacks and drinks througout the day. We were picked up at our hotel and dropped back off at our lobby. The only bad comments I would have is: If you eat a hamburger, do not eat the lettuce or tomatoe. After we returned home, my husband become sick and had to see the doctor and learned that he had an intestical parasite from fruits and vegetables and that is what we narrowed it down to. Other than that, we had a wonderful time at Xel-Ha. Not only did we snorkel, but we went tubing down the river they have and my husband jumped off a bluff they have, and they have a beautiful beach which we appreciated because our beach at Aquamarina was terrible. They have chairs and hammocks set up everywhere. Xel-Ha has our full recommendation.

• Rafting

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

XEL-HA: For rookies, definately

by IIGUANA Written Nov 10, 2003

OK. So I don't scuba dive. That's why I enjoyed it. But I did go with a friend that does scuba diving and he found it boring. The place is great, you'll have lots of fun and see nice colorful fish. You might even have the luck to touch one. But that's all. I enjoyed it, so if you've never done snorkeling, this place might impress you.

Xel-Ha from the sky