Xel-Ha, Cancún

Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juárez Km 240, locales 1 & 2, módulo B, 77780 Quintana Roo, Mexico +52 800 009 3542

• Xel-Ha
    by vera-s
  • Xel-Ha
    by vera-s
    Xel-Ha - Mexico
    by solopes
  • Ricardo79's Profile Photo

Relaxing and Enjoyable day!

by Ricardo79 Updated Sep 13, 2004

This place is like a dream. We booked the trip from a vender at the side of the road who seemed pretty good. The trip was to include 3 hours at Talum (15mins from Xelha) and 4 hours at Xelha. He told us everything was included apart from Scuba Diving and swimming with dolphins the cost was $55 each.

It was about a 1 hour drive from Cancun and the coaches were comfortable. We decided on the way to miss out Talum and spend the full day at Xelha, meaning we had lost out on about $7 each, but not to worry.

On the way the rep explained that there were two packages for Xelha, the normal and the all inclusive. We thought we had the all inclusive but we found out we did not meaning once in Xelha we would be paying for everything!! After the rep gave us a run down of the prices we decided to go for the all inclusive and pay an extra $25 each. This brought our total cost up to $80 each, which I think was still about average comparing to other people, so we did not let it spoil our day.

All Inclusive will include your lockers, snorkeling equipment, food for day etc.
    You need to give them some sort of deposit for everything you take eg hotel key, $20, credit card, so make sure you have this to hand.

There are a number of places to eat with a variety of dishes to suit most needs, although it can get busy.

The main lagoon is cool for relaxing in a rubber ring or just going for a snorkel. There are some lovely fish and nearer the forest end there are some lovely turtles and the water is alot clearer. The lagoon is accessible from many places around the park and there are also many cliff jumps.

There are loads of nice walks and make sure you get an ice cream as they are very very nice. Its really worth a visit and even though we decided to spend the full day there, we would have loved more time.

If you have a bit of spare cash ($110 approx) have a swim with the dolphins, we did and it really was a once in a life time experience and highly recommended.

Xelha Lagoon

• gipper84's Profile Photo

"Where the water is born" is what Xel Ha means

by gipper84 Written Jun 28, 2005

Xel Ha was the second destination on our trip to Tulum and it was one of the nicest eco parks I have ever visited. It just reminds me of being trapped in the Washington Zoo, with a sense of security and amazement. It is so unique to see the animals in their daily habitat and be part of the experience. Xel Ha is approximately 75 miles south of Cancun and within 8 miles of the ancient Mayan ruins of Tulum. Xel Ha is a natural aquarium with lots to see and do. David and I went snorkeling here and had a blast. It was the first time I had been snorkeling but with David as my teacher I caught on fast. I loved looking down in the water at all the fish and seeing the real pretty reef. I had an undescribeable sensation snorkeling here. I also got a chance to swim with the dolphins. David's mom was hilarious because when the dolphins picked her up out of the water she screamed really loud and we all laughed so hard. She was okay though. After snorkeling and swimming I would recommend taking a walk along the myriad of paths through the mangrove forests or maybe take a trip along the underground river. This was a really fun experience because the forest is just so overwhelming. Other fun things to do is to feed the fish from the floating bridge. This was just an overall great experience that was fun for all of us. We got this as a deal through the Moon Palace. I would definetly recommend that to save some money.

• Xel-Ha Fun!!!

by LSmith0928 Written Jul 29, 2004

I would highly recommend visitiing Xel-Ha. We stayed in Cancun so it was quite a drive for us, but it was well worth it. My husband and I had never snorkeled and wanted to experience that on our vacation to Cancun. I found this the best place to do it because, although the price seems expensive, it includes eveything (except for swimming with dolphins or scuba diving, which we were not interested in). Other tours that we did never included snorkeling. We ended up paying about $140.00 for both of us and we were given a locker, two towels, snorkeling equipment, life jackets, buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner and unlimited snacks and drinks througout the day. We were picked up at our hotel and dropped back off at our lobby. The only bad comments I would have is: If you eat a hamburger, do not eat the lettuce or tomatoe. After we returned home, my husband become sick and had to see the doctor and learned that he had an intestical parasite from fruits and vegetables and that is what we narrowed it down to. Other than that, we had a wonderful time at Xel-Ha. Not only did we snorkel, but we went tubing down the river they have and my husband jumped off a bluff they have, and they have a beautiful beach which we appreciated because our beach at Aquamarina was terrible. They have chairs and hammocks set up everywhere. Xel-Ha has our full recommendation.

• Rafting

• patricia28's Profile Photo

Xel-Ha

by patricia28 Written May 27, 2005

The word Xel Há is a combination of Maya terms which mean " water entrance " or "where the waters are born" in reference to the geography of this place. This also wonderful park is full of things to discover and enjoy. The main attraction at Xel Há Park is precisely its cove or inlet. Because of the combination of sea water with fresh subterranean currents of sweet water, the site is a natural aquarium hosting hundreds of marine species and tropical fish. So you can't resist to spend some time under the water snorkeling.
    Here you will find:
    Turtle and dolphin sanctuaries
    Spa
    Aquatic adventures
    Eco tours
    Maybe at the end of the day you are gonna be wishing spend all your life in a place like this.
    You have to visit it!!

• Zoo
    • Aquarium

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

XEL-HA: For rookies, definately

by IIGUANA Written Nov 10, 2003

OK. So I don't scuba dive. That's why I enjoyed it. But I did go with a friend that does scuba diving and he found it boring. The place is great, you'll have lots of fun and see nice colorful fish. You might even have the luck to touch one. But that's all. I enjoyed it, so if you've never done snorkeling, this place might impress you.

Xel-Ha from the sky
    • Aquarium

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Xpu-Ha Palace Resort

by Bwana_Brown Written Feb 25, 2003

On our way back from Tulum, we had about a 4-hour stop at the Xpu-Ha Palace Resort. This is an ecological-themed resort with thatched roof buildings spread out over a wide area of jungle - connected by a network of trails (see the opening photo for my Cancun page). We enjoyed a great buffet lunch with drinks on arrival and then were free to "do our thing" for a few hours.

Xpu-Ha Palace Resort Entrance
    • Spa and Resort

• spartan's Profile Photo

Xel-Ha Natural Preserve

by spartan Written Feb 25, 2003

Xel-Ha is located on the eastern portion of the Yucatan Peninsula, 75 miles south of Cancun. Its 22 acres of lagoons, coves and inlets carved into the surrounding limestone make Xel-Ha a popular snorkeling destination, and is often combined with a trip to the Mayan city of Tulum (which is only about seven miles further south).

In ancient times, Xel-Ha was considered a highly important place for the Mayan. It was a sanctuary, a scared city in which rituals and dances of honor to the different gods of the Mayan mythology took place.

Xel-Ha's easy access to the water makes it a great place for beginning snorkelers. Pathways and viewing platforms allow non-swimmers to take in the sea life below. A nice gift shop, a restaurant, lockers, showers, and restroom facilities are available, as are equipment rentals.

• PopeyeD's Profile Photo

Xel Ha

by PopeyeD Updated Oct 16, 2005

Almost a two hour ride south of Cancun (we took a tour bus that we booked through our hotel). Natural Eco-Park with very good snorkeling!! Best spot we found was near the floating bridge. Saw a large sting ray, and a huge barracuda (see pic), as well as tons of other types of fish. Cenotes were closed do to Hurricane Emily. Also has a Mayan Cave, Cliff Jump, Lazy River (long and lazy), Swim With Dolphins (an extra $100 a person - we didn't do it), and Beaches to relax.
    We opted for all-inclusive tickets which includes food (breakfast & lunch) and drinks (beer & frozen drinks) as well as a life jacket and snorkel gear (free snorkel to keep), towels, and a locker. There were a few different restaurants to choose from. Well worth the extra $25 a person.

Parrots 5 Foot Barracuda The Lazy River

• UneBanane's Profile Photo

Heaven On Earth

by UneBanane Written Nov 8, 2005

Snorkeling in the main area is amazing as there are many schools of fish and turtles swimming about alongside you. It's a wildlife reserve and is very clean. If you go further up the trail, you can go cave hopping, ropeswinging and cliff diving (HIGHLY recommended). You can also rent out an inner tube and float down the lazy river all day. There is also dolphin swims for a fee. These need to be reserved a couple of days before you go.

Xel-Ha Fish
    • Adventure Travel

• cchiuching's Profile Photo

Xelha - nice nice nice for singles like me

by cchiuching Written May 31, 2005

I was stupid!
    I found that the all-inclusive fee is US $45.81 (Internet fee) only! in its official site! though not including transportation from and to cancun hotels.
    I paid USD98 in Cancun! though including transportation from and to cancun hotels.
    the park is great! great for snorkelling beginner! many fishes!
    i like the plant nursary tour too! very informative to me! (i know nothing about plants)
    floating on the river can be very tiresome! not that relaxing! but i still like it!
    food so-so.
    but no time to enjoy food anyway LOL unless u don't want to do anything LOL

Great for Snorkelling
    • Luxury Travel

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Xel-Ha / Excaret decision

by brkilbourne Written Feb 18, 2010

Been to both several times. Although Xel- Ha is very nice ( owned by the same paople ) Xcaret has 10 times more to do and see. Xel- Ha is almost entirely water activities while Xcaret has more water activities, a zoo, an aquiriam, smaller shows during the datime, a great night show and more restaurants. Yes wait untill you get down there to book.

• AshleeS's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by AshleeS Updated Apr 26, 2006

All inclusive (all you can eat ice-cream), beautiful location tons to do. You can snorkel all over, there is a place to sit in a tube and let the current move you from one end to the other, even in caves I beleive (I didn't have time to do this), you can cliff jump (not really high but high enough for me). You can sit on the beach or in a resturant, or it is expensive but you can swim with the dolphins. Trust me you will want a whole day here, don't split your day up between a few places (I think they do packages to Tulum on the same day, we didn't do that and we still didn't see everything).

• Dudo's Profile Photo

A Magical Place

by Dudo Written Aug 19, 2003

A natural park about 100km from Cancun, you can do a lot of activities there climbing, skuba diving, play with strange animals, you can swim with dolphins, etc. a very magical place if you appreciate the natural wonders

• You must visit Tulum.Xel-Ha. ...

by Starlas Written Feb 25, 2003

You must visit Tulum.Xel-Ha. Tulum is the only walled city the Maya ever built on the Caribbean coast. Xel-Ha translates to where the waters are born. Its a beautiful park where you can explore caves and snorkel

• Ainda's Profile Photo

Please visit XEL HA, XCARET,...

by Ainda Written Feb 25, 2003

Please visit XEL HA, XCARET, TULUM, those are beautiful places to visit, there you´ll be able to learn a bit more about the mayan culture, those are the most amazing places.
    The sight is the best, you can swim with dolphins, you can swim in calm waters, sun bathing, underground rivers where you can dive....
    Restaurants, performances....