TimeShares, Cancún

• solopes's Profile Photo

Kept the slabs

by solopes Updated Dec 20, 2013
    Cancun - Mexico

Upon arrival they offered to each one of us a slab with traditional motifs, with the only obligation to spend some minutes in a "information meeting". We had an unexpected dose of time sharing promotion, with all the common show, of periodical clapping hands, proving that we were the only "silly people resisting to the offered marvels".

We did resist, and after not more than one hour, we left, with four slabs that fit very well in a small wall of my garden. I don't know if they keep on selling time sharing, but, if the rhythm of the clapping hands was half true, they had time to sell 50 hotels since then.

• Beaches

• Royal Resorts Cancun Mexico timeshare Scam

by DavidWright Written Aug 25, 2011

I purchased a seven night vacation at The Royal Cancun during a timeshare presentation for Royal Resorts (aka: Interval Servicing Co Club Internacional de Cancun ). Upon returning home from vacation 5 days later, I went online and discovered I was charged double the rate to stay at this resort.
    I immediately contacted customer service and cancelled my stay at The Royal Cancun and Contacted Visa to dispute the $375 down payment I was charged. I was assured by Royal Resorts that my account would be cancelled, I would owe nothing and receive my down payment back. A month later I received a bill in the mail from Royal Resorts. I contacted customer service again and was assured it was only a mistake and I owed nothing, at this time they mailed a letter to me showing my account was closed and my account balance is $0.
    I begin to think I am finally out of this scam until a month later when Visa calls to inform me that my down payment still has not been refunded. I call customer service again and again and keep getting the run around and am told someone will call me back (which never happened). Upon my last call to customer service they finally tell me they have no plans on refunding the down payment I made.
    I now have to go through the Federal Consumer Protection Commission to try to get my money back from this scam. Please beware Royal Resorts cares nothing about there customers and only about ripping people off!!!

Unique Suggestions: Keep your money in your wallet!!!

Fun Alternatives: Avoid Royal Resorts Cancun Mexico. They will rip you off!!!

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

Resort freebies trap, don't give your credit card!

by travelnut71 Written Apr 2, 2011

Another scam I saw in Cancun, not the Gran Caribe Real resort but I did see this at the Oasis Cancun and the Grand, as well as any resort that has the word, "Palace" in it.
    Couples or families with children are the target. They first question they ask you is if you are married. And, if you are on your honeymoon. Either or, they will mold their scam to you, and they are very friendly about it, they say, if you are married but not on your honeymoon, something like, "How many years you been married?! Oh it's time for another honeymoon! How about we give you some free breakfast at so and so resort as an excursion and 2 one hour massages for free and you can use the spa?" And then you will be escorted to the place where they will ask you for your credit card just to know that you are you. This isn't true! Be careful! Show them your passport instead and you will see it's not good enough of an identity for them! Imagine! This is basically timeshare!

Unique Suggestions: 1) The best way is to say that you don't own a credit card, or you tried your credit card at the airport and your company canceled it because you forgot to advise them you were traveling, it happened to me!

2) You can say that you don't own a credit card because you had too many debts :)

3) You can say that you have a cap limit on your card and that it's $500 dollars, your other one is at home and you want to keep this for shopping.

4) You can say you know it's a timeshare and you are not interested and most of all, insist that you won't buy to the person who will take care of you, he will refuse to continue at that point.

5) You can say you are not married but just friends, if you have no kids.

6) You can say you are not interested in the activities and you came here to rest and be alone with your family or friend.

Fun Alternatives: You can do some research and choose a hotel that doesn't harass you too much with this, the Gran Caribe Real was good in Cancun for this.

• Cancun Airport Timeshares

by JujuBear Written Jan 13, 2011

These people look official with photo ID at Cancun airport and trick you into coming with them as if they are transportation to your hotel. My elderly parents were confused and went to the time share meeting and had the free breakfast. They were hassling my parents and my foreign born mentally disabled (psychiatric/dementia) told the man she didn't understand and wanted to go, as they were low in money and only in Cancun for 3 days. The man started saying she lying and he knew she understood he was selling timeshares. My mom had just recently got out of the hospital in the USA for suffering psychosis. My father finally got them to bring them back to the hotel but the man forced them to pay $10 each for the free breakfast (and transportation $ whatever that was) and was very rude and yelling at them. THIS SHOULD BE BANNED! THESE PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED AT THE AIRPORT OR HOTEL LOBBY. PRICES ARE RAISED HIGH ANYWAYS FOR TOURISTS WHILE THE REST OF MEXICANS LIVING IN CANCUN LOOKED HORRIBLY POOR!

Unique Suggestions: Don't eat their free food and tell them leave you alone and take you back.

Fun Alternatives: Try to arrange with the hotel legit transportation and get details of driver, etc. These people were tricky and had sign for the hotel so we thought it was legit transportation to hotel. Protest to Mexican Government ban this scamming of tourists! Really sad we can't get it right in the world by now!

• Yes, they are time share, no matter what they call

by shadowdupont Updated Oct 18, 2009

Ater arriving in Can Cun Airport we were greeted by a friendly travel agent and asked what we would like to do while visiting....he then suggusted , for a set price which seemed very affordable,a brochure that met our needs for the mere price of $75 CASH. (that should have been a warning signal!) but we were not to tell our Hotel as they get "competetive"....the clincher as we found out, ....yes you have a free breakfest....but for over 2 1/2 hours listening to nothing but TIME SHARING garbage!! Remember...nothing is free!!

Unique Suggestions: Politetly decline and keep walking!!!!!Go straight tou your transportation that is to take you to your Hotel....get nasty if you have to!!!they can be persistent!!!!!

• Cruise

• MoNewcamp's Profile Photo

Airport people

by MoNewcamp Written Dec 14, 2008

Please be very careful at the airport. They are very friendly and want to help but their intention is to get you to a time share

Don't take any deals for excursions.

Unique Suggestions: I guess if you are interested in a time share and have the time or want to spend the time looking
    I'd just make sure its a place your familiar with.

• madmary71's Profile Photo

Free tours? Prepare 1 day just for timeshare!

by madmary71 Written Apr 16, 2007

Upon walking out the airport there is a line up of timeshare "wolves" ready to pounce to anyone interested to give them 5 minutes. My friend went directly to one of the booth for she saw "Free tours". Our friend "Pablo" was very sweet, but I understood now he gets paid with the amount of people he gets to be potential timeshare clients. So my girlfriend and I have at least 2 tours for free, one to Chichinitza, and a jungle tour. But when we went to the "obigatory" timeshare session with another dude, here we spent the whole day with him trying to convince us to buy timeshare in Cancun. Truth is I was slightly swayed but in the end that is not part of my vacation! I'm glad my friend is a whiz with financial issues that she kept telling me it's a scam. Hey, if you like losing 1 day of your vacation to this scam go ahead, but I was at least happy for the free tours.

Unique Suggestions: Upon returning here in Canada, one office colleague said that the best way to keep these timeshare people off your back is to say you are underage. Say you're 25 years old if you can get away with it.

Fun Alternatives: Book your own tour in the spot with your hotel. Do not get enticed by timeshare agents hovering around in the hotel lounge as well!

• School Holidays
    • Business Travel

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

Stand your ground

by UKDaisy Updated Mar 18, 2007

Be Aware!
    As soon as we exited the baggage claim area at Cancun airport, we were approached by a gentleman asking us about our transportation arrangements for our journey to the hotel. After supplying us with the necessary transport info, he then started asking us if we've been to Cancun before, and what we would like to do. He showed us a piece of paper with costs of various tours, and telling us that many hotels will charge a premium for tours, and we shouldn't pay more than what's printed on this piece of paper. Then, he mentioned about offering us a buy-one-get-one-free tour of our choice, at 50% price of the usual selling price. This caught our attention. He explained to us that in order to receive this offer, we'd be taken to a no-obligation sales presentation at a hotel called Royal Sunset Hotel on the hotel zone and be provided with a buffet breakfast too. He also asked that we give a US$40 deposit which would be refunded on the day. We were sceptical, but decided to go ahead with it.

The following day, we were collected by a driver at the arranged time, and taken to the Royal Sunset Hotel. There were many other tourists there, who were also in the same position as us. To cut a long story short, we were given the buffet breakfast, and after being subjected to a sales presentation of timeshare condominiums (plus many pushy salemen, but we refused to purchase the timeshare), we were given our deposit back, and they honoured their original offer of the buy-one-get-one-free tour ticket. The tour itself was of no lesser quality than other tour companies that I've used before.

In summary, it's a good deal to go along to these presentations if you have a few hours to spare, and will be strong enough to refuse to purchase. Otherwise, forget about it.

• Beaches

• Avoid the Palace Resorts/Tulum Shop Ripoff

by Never_Again Updated Mar 12, 2007

You arrive in Cancun and while still in the airport, an official looking man calls you over in order to "help" you avoid getting ripped off. You are then told that the one of the hotels of the Palace Resorts is having a special because they are in the process of opening. They offer you free tickets to tours, t-shirts, etc for only "90 minutes" of your time.

What happens is that they give you a tour with so-so food while assigning someone to you to sell the benefits of this "5 star" resort. Then you sit down, and before you can say to yourself "here it comes", they are off and running with the hard sell in what might be one of the biggest ripoffs you will ever see. For the privilege of committing to the next 25 years of vacations, you have to pay for the sute approximately $37,000 (plus a "reduced" room rate), with half down at "only" 18%.

THREE HOURS LATER, after you have consentently said NO, NO, NO to each deal they offer, all of which are ripoffs (otherwise they would not be pushing them so hard), they have the audacity to get upset at you for not being the sucker they hoped.

A couple of final points. First, the "gentleman" at the airport tells you to make sure you bring a Visa and Mastercard to the tour of the resort because they are paying for the tickets for the tour. Translation - make sure you have your credit cards so we can charge you for the downpayment.

Second, on the trip to Tulum, they will have a "rest stop" with what may be the most overpriced bunch of souveniers you will ever see. As an example, there was a wooden mask with an original price of $150 for which they were willing to take $65. Almost the identical mask was available at one of the shops in Tulum for an original price of $40, with an offer to negotiate down from there. It gives an idea of just how much of a ripoff the rest stop trap is.

Finally, I visited more of the Palace Resort locations. I don't know how they were rated as 5 star. They are out of their league when compared to places like the Ritz-Carleton or the 4 Seasons.

• Archeology
    • Luxury Travel

• Tell the touts you are from Europe.

by Sueky43 Written Feb 6, 2006

When approached by Time share touts, we told them we were English and it was too far to travel for a time share. We tended to find that most people would leave us alone as many of the touts work for a particular hotel rather than an international chain where you swap your timeshares. We just werent worth the effort and they moved on to someone else.
    Even with an American Accent you can still tell them you live in London.

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

timeshare or not

by iam1wthee Written Jul 13, 2005

A lot of times people will say that they are not selling you a timeshare but they are. A lot of times it is not just people in the hotel but even the guy in the airport at ground transportation and people on the street. I say take them up on their offer but one up them.

Unique Suggestions: Tell them you want either free breakfast or lunch, $100, a discount on at least 5 different tours, and if possible spa treatment. While they are giving their 90 minute talk pressure them to be timely. Afterwards ask questions and ask to see a profit and loss statement, balance sheet, etc. They will back away and just give you your gift.

Fun Alternatives: I think everyone should do these things and save money.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Beach Bliss

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 9, 2005

This Beats Snow!

Our first morning in Cancun - on the beach at the Moon Palace Resort! Like everyone says, the sand in Cancun is as fine as can be! We were just thankful that we had survived the various waves of 'time-share' attacks and had actually come out on top with some amazing bargains that we had not counted on!

• jilldj's Profile Photo

Timeshare Hounds

by jilldj Written Aug 27, 2004

timeshare hounds can be found at the airport or in your hotel lobby. they basically offer you discounts or free tours/meals in exchange for a couple of hours of your time. they can be quite persistent and even disguise themselves by pretending to help you with your luggage or asking you if you need help. dont be fooled by this..just keep going and pretend like you're in a hurry. it works :-)

Unique Suggestions: i suppose it wouldnt be too bad to avail of those discounts if you happen to get yourself into one of those seminars.

• anagrettel's Profile Photo

For Your must NOOO!!! List

by anagrettel Written Sep 7, 2003

Sharetime; Don't listen not even look at them, My parents lost a complete Day of their vacation in this, is a lost of time and what they promise is a lie, even the timeshare is lie you are going to loss money. In our honeymoon why try to avoid them, but look at them is a great mistake too they follow us talking and talking, we are mexicans and even prettend we don't speak spanish (big mistake) they speak english.
    Taxi; Is a don't, big danger and lost of money. (Bus is perfect for in town)(Rent a car better for out of Cancun travel as Chichen itza, tulum, and more)
    Tour to Cozumel; waste of time and money, not as great as people say.

Unique Suggestions: Sharetime: pretent you don't see and hear.

Taxi; Only if you are Mexican and very friendly.better Bus for night time fun.
    An rent a Car if you know a basic Spanish, We had great and Fun travel time in Car From Cancun to Tulum, Playa del carmen,
    Xcaret, Chichen itza and Xel ha. Is cheap and safe, better that a tour.

• Adventure Travel

• wishyouwherehere's Profile Photo

Tourist Information

by wishyouwherehere Written Jun 23, 2003

When you get through customs at the Airport beware. People are there giving you advise about where to go waht to see etc. Then they ask you for about $40.00 to go to the Moon Palace hotel for breakfast and to look round the hotel. although we paid our money we did not go. This could have been legitimate, but we lost our money anyway.

Unique Suggestions: Do not give them any money, in fact ignore them and go straight through arrivals to your tranport to your Hotel.

Instant Answers: Cancún