Rent a Car, Cancún

Know about this? Rate It!

• Rent a Car
    by brkilbourne
    Fill er up...
    by tedandtina
  • Tulum: What are you waiting for? Get there!
    Tulum: What are you waiting for? Get...
    by darthmilmo
  • Car rental nightmare

by jnbkrt Written Jan 20, 2011

If your thinking about renting from Caribbean car rental or America car rental, they are the same, i would advise you to rent from some one els, we rented 3 newer vehicles 4X4 and got 3 older front wheel drive vehicles, all the warning lights on the dash were on, the suspension was worn out. So i would highly recommend you search els were.

BAD EXPERIENCED NEVER AGAIN WILL I RENT FROM THEM

• Do not rent from Executive (or ACE) Cancun

by yla1031 Written Mar 28, 2011

We reserved a car, showed up at the terminal desk and were told they had no car for us. We went the their office where one picks up the cars and we saw cars. Those were broken. But then they rented one to someone. She had apparently prepaid. Then another guy shows up for a car and I ask him if he prepaid and he said that he hadn't and they still gave him a car. I offer to pay more for a car and they still won't give us one. After four hours and 4 or 5 calls to customer service we finally get a car (for twice the reservation price) and are on our way (we planned a 10 day road trip through southeastern Mexico). On the second day of our trip, the car breaks down in the middle of the mountains. We are stranded until a policeman saves us, calls a tow truck, and takes us to the nearest town (1 hour away). We take a taxi to our next stop (2 hours away) and eventually, after more calls to customer service, another rental car is delivered by a mechanic and his family. By this time we are 16 hours from Cancun and it takes a couple of days to get the new car.
    Our trip continues normally until we drop the car off. They want to charge us 25,000 pesos ($2000) for the engine overheating. I tell them that the engine would only overheat if there was a maintenance problem with the car (e.g. stretching the coolant with water) and they tell that I shouldn't worry about it because my credit card company has car rental insurance that will cover it. They told us we couldn't leave the country unless we paid. They even tried to charge my credit card without my authorization. We even had the cops called who said we could do nothing but pay unless we were willing to miss our flight (we would have to go see a magistrate two hours away to resolve the dispute).
    We are still trying to get this resolved (3 months later). By the way, our insurance expressly does not cover mechanical failure of rental cars so they don't end up paying the bill for a rental companies failure to maintain its fleet.
    These guys are rotten through and through and will think nothing of ruining your vacation and milking you for every cent they think they can get. DO NOT RENT WITH THEM!

• Econo Rent Car Cancun

by onasis Updated Jun 23, 2011

SCAMERS i called to rent a car for a week and ordered a full size vehicle i get confirmation for it paid for the car and on delivery date i get a intermedia car with the excuse that the full size car is broken down and i will have it the other day said by miss.Rebecca palacio she is the most unprofessional employee i have ever met once she knew she cant deliver her promise she start hiding and not answering my calls didn want to face the responsability very unprofesional person stay away from this company at the end of my vacation i got scammed for 50 bucks which was the difference for the other class of car i was forced to drive because they couldn get they orders together ,anyone wanting to rent a car in cancun do yourself a favor and stay away from this econo rent car company in cancun they dont deliver what they promise once they have your money they do whatever they like so stay away form those scamers ,to the owner of this company you do yourself a favor if you fire rebecca palacio she is the most deficient person and dishonest person i met she must be the bosses mistress to be able to pull that kinda negative vibe and the way she handles customers any regular biz owner would fire her in a split second she is a deciving and dishonest person DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY

• Business Travel
    • Beaches

• Continental rent a car

by Gillianm13 Written Jan 14, 2012

This company also known as Caribbean / America/ cancun/ fox are rip off merchants and the worst company I have ever had to deal with. They took money from my credit card without permission and were very rude, a nightmare to try to communicate with and above all gave me, my mother and 4 year old son a more than 20 year old car to drive to Belize with saying it was only a year old. It very obviously wasn't, they said they had no other cars.
    I just wanted to let people know as they were the cheapest I could find who would let you drive the car to Belize.

• America car rental

by Gillianm13 Written Jan 14, 2012

• Buster Car Rentals Cancan ferry terminal

by NickBrown Updated May 23, 2009

Be warned about Buster Rent A Car at the ferry terminal to Isla Mujeres.

My friends and i had to leave a signed credit card slip in order to rent our car. We were assured that it would be destroyed when we dropped off the car.

Having paid in full it was a nasty shock to find that the slip had been presented to the bank weeks later for over $2500!!!!

We challenged the claim with the receipts we had showing we had paid in full and their claim was rejected.

We thought that that would be an end to it but once more the slip was presented and honoured and we once again challeneged their claim and once more it was rejected.

Our efforts to contact Buster failed.

I will never use these guys again.

• KJKSOHO's Profile Photo

Executive Car rental beware in Playa Del Carmen

by KJKSOHO Written Jan 5, 2010

Beware of the Executive Car Rental Company in Mexico. I recently just got back from Playa Del Carmen and had a horrible experience at Executive Car Rental on fifth Avenue. I had rented a car filled out all the contracts the previous day to my rental and when I went to pick up the car I was told they did not have one for me, and they ripped up the contract in front of my eyes and told me that they had no cars since it was Christmas week. The best part was they put a hold on my card for 400 plus dollars that one week later is still on my card. They were not only rude about the whole situation but I have not been able to get a single response from their corporate offices when I issued the complaint a week ago. Beware of this company and please avoid them at any cost

• Cheated by Continental rent a car

by Hemati Written Mar 27, 2010

For a 10 day trip through Yucatan we reserved a full size car at continental-rentacar.com. We paid 544 US$ by credit card.

Upon our arrival (11.00 PM) they had prepared a VW Jetta. We complained this didn’t look like a full size car but the agent guaranteed it was “full size, Dodge Avenger or Similar”. During the trip we experienced this car was not as large or as comfortable as what we expected (we were 4 adults). Therefore we checked on the internet site of continental-rentacar.com. The VW Jetta is an intermediate car, at a cost of 504 $ for the same period (-> 40$ less than what we paid for a full size).

Upon returning the car, the agent didn’t believe us, only after insisting for a long time he agreed to check on the internet. He agreed VW Jetta was only an intermediate car although we had paid for a full size. He was very reluctant to give a written confirmation, so we had to insist on getting it. Finally got our confirmation: “ se hara rembolso de 40$ a tarjeta” (“we’ll credit 40$ on your card”), written and signed on the rental agreement, with name of the agent.

Conclusion: we got an uncomfortable trip and after 6 weeks and 4 mails (without any reply!) we’re still waiting for our 40$.

• Beware of Caribbean Rental Car in Cancun

by xtianxtian Written May 20, 2010

I recently rented a car in Cancun from Caribbean Rent A Car for four days. I booked the rental on line and was given a quote for those four days. However, upon arrival at the pick up location, I was given a much higher quote than what was quoted to me on line. Despite having all my proofs like my e-mail confirmation and print out of my reservation, I was told that they will not honor the on line quote.

They explained that there was something wrong with their on-line reservation and they are not liable for it. At the end I paid about $100 more than what was originally quoted to me. I felt like I was trapped since I'm already there and I have no choice but to pay the extra amount they were charging.

• American Car Rental

by Ailaan Written May 16, 2013

We rented a car from America Car Rentals. Their web site promised a short shuttle from the airport. It took them an hour to pick us up. The car that we asked for was not available. We wanted an automatic and paid extra for it but it wasn't available and they refused to refund the extra money. We had also asked for a Tourist car in case we got a ticket and they were out of those as well. Don't use.

• Budget RentACar Merida Airport

by jriley Written Feb 14, 2014

This location is off airport, I wasn't greeted at the airport, and need to engage a local police officer to figure out how to get them to come pick me up at the airport. Then I was charged 200% of the quoted rate but it was midnight and I still had to get 2 kids over an hour away so I had not choice but to accept the increase at the time and try to fight it later. Then when I returned the car at the end of the trip, no one was there and after waiting past the agreed upon time, I had to lock the keys in the car in front of their office and run to the airport for my flight. A month later, I'm reviewing my credit card and they again doubled the price saying they had to hire a lock smith to open the car. I received terrible service and was billed quandripple the quoted price!!!! NEVER RENT FROM HERE. Hertz and some other agency has a rental office right in the airport.

• rent a car

by poilichu Written Apr 8, 2007

We rent a car on the internet before we arrived in Cancun. It is much easier to go around when you have a car. We drove to Puerto Morelos for snorkling .(just hired a guide with a boat on the beach $ 25/person, they povide life jacket and snorkling gear).
    We drove to Xcaret too. We came back around 7;30 PM . It is quite safe to drive on 307 toll road

• Rental Car, Buses, and Tours

by ArnoldE Updated Apr 21, 2003

The buses around Cancun are great. There is no need to drive or take a taxi.

We took a tour bus to Chichin Itza. Because we were staying at a Palace hotel, this tour was included. It would have been worth the cost not to have to drive, particulalry since we stayed for the light and sound show at night.

We figured out the tours we wanted to do through the hotel and then rented a car for the remaining time in order to give us maximum flexibility in getting to various snorkeling spots and ruins (such as Muyil) where buses would have been far more problematic.

But make sure that you check your confirmation with the local office. We reserved a car through Thrifty, only to be told that there were no cars available. The agent said that this was not an unusual problem for them and refused to call other companies on our behalf.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Do I need to take a tour for everything?

by darthmilmo Written Mar 6, 2003

Tulum: What are you waiting for? Get there!

There are plenty of buses plying the roads of the Riviera Maya. No need to take a tour folks, just grab a bus and go wherever your heart desires :).

• Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Cancún

• Jan 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Hi! Just came back from Merida 2 days ago and I had the worst experience with them! I made my reservations 2 months in advance and I even recieved an email 1 day before arriving to Merida with a confirmation number and telling me that there would be someone at the airport waiting for us. The day we arrived to Merida after picking up our baggage I recieved a call to my cell phone from the office of Caribbean rent a car telling me they had no cars left to rent and that noone would pick us up to take us to our hotel, eventhou I have a reservation they just told me everything was booked and they could no do any thing about it! and they just hang up the phone!! I was really upset because I was travelling with my 1 year old baby (I even booked a child seat with them). We tryed to rent a car at the airport but as you can imagine everything was booked. We had to take the bus to Merida and rent a car in downtown AVIS, yes the rates are higher but you know you have all the assistance and NO EXTRA CHARGE. I cant imagine what would happen in case of an accident with Caribbean´s cars! Not a trustworhty company at all!! Please be careful and Have a nice trip!

Other Transportation in Cancún