Vehicle rentals, Cancún

Know about this? Rate It!

• Vehicle rentals
    by brkilbourne
    Fill er up...
    by tedandtina
    It ALL fit (us too)
    by Radiomom
  • America Car rental Cancun

by wendela Written Aug 7, 2014

We were very satisfied with America Car rental. I made a reservation for 2 weeks rental in july. We were picked up from the airport. In 15 min we were at the office of America car rental. Our car was not yet there. We got a free upgrade. Car was perfect. All procedures went easy. The only thing is that you think that everything is insured and then finally they say that glassbreak is excluded...therefore you can take an extra Insurance which we didn't do. Anyway... I would definitely use them again in the future.

• America/Cancun Car Rental was great!

by Abwo Written Jul 22, 2014

I rented through America Car Rental in Cancun for 5 days in June 2014. I booked directly through their website and stressed that I really needed an automatic car. Their is a disclaimer on the website that your rental request is not guaranteed, but since we were there in the off season, I didn't worry that it would be a problem. I was quoted $250 for the rental with all required insurance included. I quickly received a confirmation of my reservation and instructions for airport pick up. I printed out my quote and confirmation-make sure you do this.
    At the airport, there was a man waiting with a sign for us. He called the shuttle which took about 30-40 minutes. I think the shuttle driver was on "Mayan time" as there was some disagreement and yelling back and forth between the man at the airport and the shuttle driver over the phone since it was taking so long.
    The shuttle driver picked us up and took up to the rental location, which is just a street or two North of the Airport off of the main highway. The quote I was given was accurate. I opted to add the $5/day coverage for tires and windshield, just so I didn't have to worry about anything. They placed an $800 hold on one of my credit cards that was refunded when I brought the car back. The car was a Dodge Attitude and was in good shape. We walked the car for any damage, dings and scratches, were shown the jack/spare tire and amount of gas in the car. The car ran very well and gave us no problems. We dropped the car off at the end of the trip, it was quickly looked over with no hassle, and we were shuttled back to the airport. I would use them again.
    Beware that there is a time share person in the office. He will try to give you maps or say he needs to show you where to drop the car off. Don't let him waste your time.

• Budget RentACar Merida Airport

by jriley Written Feb 14, 2014

This location is off airport, I wasn't greeted at the airport, and need to engage a local police officer to figure out how to get them to come pick me up at the airport. Then I was charged 200% of the quoted rate but it was midnight and I still had to get 2 kids over an hour away so I had not choice but to accept the increase at the time and try to fight it later. Then when I returned the car at the end of the trip, no one was there and after waiting past the agreed upon time, I had to lock the keys in the car in front of their office and run to the airport for my flight. A month later, I'm reviewing my credit card and they again doubled the price saying they had to hire a lock smith to open the car. I received terrible service and was billed quandripple the quoted price!!!! NEVER RENT FROM HERE. Hertz and some other agency has a rental office right in the airport.

• American Car Rental

by Ailaan Written May 16, 2013

We rented a car from America Car Rentals. Their web site promised a short shuttle from the airport. It took them an hour to pick us up. The car that we asked for was not available. We wanted an automatic and paid extra for it but it wasn't available and they refused to refund the extra money. We had also asked for a Tourist car in case we got a ticket and they were out of those as well. Don't use.

• America car rental

by Gillianm13 Written Jan 14, 2012

This company also known as Caribbean / America/ cancun/ fox are rip off merchants and the worst company I have ever had to deal with. They took money from my credit card without permission and were very rude, a nightmare to try to communicate with and above all gave me, my mother and 4 year old son a more than 20 year old car to drive to Belize with saying it was only a year old. It very obviously wasn't, they said they had no other cars.
    I just wanted to let people know as they were the cheapest I could find who would let you drive the car to Belize.

• Continental rent a car

by Gillianm13 Written Jan 14, 2012

• csuresh's Profile Photo

Travelling in and around Cancun

by csuresh Written Nov 3, 2011

We had overall a good time, although it rained part of our trip. We used rental car from Easyway Rental. Instead of taking hotel zone --> Tulum Highway --> D180 Toll road to Chichen Itza, we went hotel zone --> Cancun centro --> D180 Toll road. Due to numerous interlinking road, we had to make few U-turns, ask direction in a petrol station as well as drive few pot hole roads before getting into D180. Return trip was fabulous and toll highway was worth the money. Gas Stations in D180 Toll road was only one, so better to fill tank before getting into this highway. Toll was around 230 pesos till Valladolid and another 50 to reach Chichen Itza. On our return we came by local route from Chichen Itza to Valladolid and enjoyed local view. People we met are friendly and Hola/Buenas Dias courtesy is common. We spent mostly everywhere in Peso except in Walmart and for Car Rental. Walmart had everything we required. I will write a travellogue to share the experience in detail.

• Econo Rent Car Cancun

by onasis Updated Jun 23, 2011

SCAMERS i called to rent a car for a week and ordered a full size vehicle i get confirmation for it paid for the car and on delivery date i get a intermedia car with the excuse that the full size car is broken down and i will have it the other day said by miss.Rebecca palacio she is the most unprofessional employee i have ever met once she knew she cant deliver her promise she start hiding and not answering my calls didn want to face the responsability very unprofesional person stay away from this company at the end of my vacation i got scammed for 50 bucks which was the difference for the other class of car i was forced to drive because they couldn get they orders together ,anyone wanting to rent a car in cancun do yourself a favor and stay away from this econo rent car company in cancun they dont deliver what they promise once they have your money they do whatever they like so stay away form those scamers ,to the owner of this company you do yourself a favor if you fire rebecca palacio she is the most deficient person and dishonest person i met she must be the bosses mistress to be able to pull that kinda negative vibe and the way she handles customers any regular biz owner would fire her in a split second she is a deciving and dishonest person DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY

• Business Travel
    • Beaches

• trevndebs's Profile Photo

Harley-Davidson hire

by trevndebs Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just down the road from The hotel, near to Aquaword are the offices of Eaglerider Cancun, a great bunch of guys who hire out Harleys.
    I had a Heritage Softtail and it was superb but a bit pricey- $180 per day ( although worth it! )

Harley

• Do not rent from Executive (or ACE) Cancun

by yla1031 Written Mar 28, 2011

We reserved a car, showed up at the terminal desk and were told they had no car for us. We went the their office where one picks up the cars and we saw cars. Those were broken. But then they rented one to someone. She had apparently prepaid. Then another guy shows up for a car and I ask him if he prepaid and he said that he hadn't and they still gave him a car. I offer to pay more for a car and they still won't give us one. After four hours and 4 or 5 calls to customer service we finally get a car (for twice the reservation price) and are on our way (we planned a 10 day road trip through southeastern Mexico). On the second day of our trip, the car breaks down in the middle of the mountains. We are stranded until a policeman saves us, calls a tow truck, and takes us to the nearest town (1 hour away). We take a taxi to our next stop (2 hours away) and eventually, after more calls to customer service, another rental car is delivered by a mechanic and his family. By this time we are 16 hours from Cancun and it takes a couple of days to get the new car.
    Our trip continues normally until we drop the car off. They want to charge us 25,000 pesos ($2000) for the engine overheating. I tell them that the engine would only overheat if there was a maintenance problem with the car (e.g. stretching the coolant with water) and they tell that I shouldn't worry about it because my credit card company has car rental insurance that will cover it. They told us we couldn't leave the country unless we paid. They even tried to charge my credit card without my authorization. We even had the cops called who said we could do nothing but pay unless we were willing to miss our flight (we would have to go see a magistrate two hours away to resolve the dispute).
    We are still trying to get this resolved (3 months later). By the way, our insurance expressly does not cover mechanical failure of rental cars so they don't end up paying the bill for a rental companies failure to maintain its fleet.
    These guys are rotten through and through and will think nothing of ruining your vacation and milking you for every cent they think they can get. DO NOT RENT WITH THEM!

• STAY AWAY FROM BUDGET CAR RENTAL IN CANCUN

by Victoriaheritage Updated Jan 22, 2011

I had the worst experience when we arrived in Cancun with Budget. When I went to pick-up our rental car the clerk decided to see how badly he could soak us. I have good insurance but wanted to purchase Mexican Insurance, he saw his opportunity and charged us the same price as the car on a daily basis. I had requested a letter to take the car to Belize, which was not ready. I had to drive from Tulum to Playa del Carmen to get the letter, an expedition that took over 5 hours. They insisted on me paying $35.00 for the letter. The car rental went from $335.00 to well over $650.00. To top it all off, there was no cap on the gas tank. STAY AWAY from these unscrupulous people.

• Car rental nightmare

by jnbkrt Written Jan 20, 2011

If your thinking about renting from Caribbean car rental or America car rental, they are the same, i would advise you to rent from some one els, we rented 3 newer vehicles 4X4 and got 3 older front wheel drive vehicles, all the warning lights on the dash were on, the suspension was worn out. So i would highly recommend you search els were.

BAD EXPERIENCED NEVER AGAIN WILL I RENT FROM THEM

• DO NOT RENT FROM ALAMO Cancun airport

by ocelopili Updated Aug 27, 2010

Do not rent from Alamo, they are theives. After I rented and returned my car, paid for it, everything fine, I returned to the US. Two weeks later there was an additional charge on my credit card from Alamo for over $1,000 USD for nothing. When I called them, they said they had no record of it and gave me the run around for over a week. The charge went through and I called Alamo international to complain and they did nothing about it. I finally disputed the charge through my bank and had the money returned with no help from Alamo. It was obvious that someone from inside the company was trying to use my credit card number to steal alot of money, that why the records dissapeared. Perhaps they were in cahouts with the management who refused to do anything about it. Do not deal with these ripoff artists.

• Buster Rental Car worked out well for us.

by tahoe_california Written May 22, 2010

After everything I read online, I was extremely apprehensive about renting a vehicle in Mexico. We used Buster Rental Car out of Cancun and drove south all the way to Belize, as well as the entire counrty of Belize, and it was great. We paid $35 a day total, less than $400 for 11 days with insurance and everything. We were given a letter of authorization to cross the border and it worked without a hitch. Daniel and Daniel in Cancun and Ramon in PDC were all very helpful and I am happy to say that nothing went wrong. We were never hassled by police or anyone else. The car ran great and upon inspection the fluids and tires were all up to par. We felt safe and secure with or vehicle the entire time. Daniel was even kind enough to give us a ride to Puerto Juarez when we returned the car.

• Beware of Caribbean Rental Car in Cancun

by xtianxtian Written May 20, 2010

I recently rented a car in Cancun from Caribbean Rent A Car for four days. I booked the rental on line and was given a quote for those four days. However, upon arrival at the pick up location, I was given a much higher quote than what was quoted to me on line. Despite having all my proofs like my e-mail confirmation and print out of my reservation, I was told that they will not honor the on line quote.

They explained that there was something wrong with their on-line reservation and they are not liable for it. At the end I paid about $100 more than what was originally quoted to me. I felt like I was trapped since I'm already there and I have no choice but to pay the extra amount they were charging.

Instant Answers: Cancún

• Jan 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Hi! Just came back from Merida 2 days ago and I had the worst experience with them! I made my reservations 2 months in advance and I even recieved an email 1 day before arriving to Merida with a confirmation number and telling me that there would be someone at the airport waiting for us. The day we arrived to Merida after picking up our baggage I recieved a call to my cell phone from the office of Caribbean rent a car telling me they had no cars left to rent and that noone would pick us up to take us to our hotel, eventhou I have a reservation they just told me everything was booked and they could no do any thing about it! and they just hang up the phone!! I was really upset because I was travelling with my 1 year old baby (I even booked a child seat with them). We tryed to rent a car at the airport but as you can imagine everything was booked. We had to take the bus to Merida and rent a car in downtown AVIS, yes the rates are higher but you know you have all the assistance and NO EXTRA CHARGE. I cant imagine what would happen in case of an accident with Caribbean´s cars! Not a trustworhty company at all!! Please be careful and Have a nice trip!