Vehicle rentals, Cancún

Know about this? Rate It!

• Vehicle rentals
    by Radiomom
  • Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Car rentals

by Etoile2B Updated Feb 8, 2005

There are many car rental agencies around Cancun. And they advertise reasonable prices ($14 US a day). If you decide to rent a car in Mexico, beware. I have heard stories of tourists being pulled over by the police for doing nothing wrong. You cannot fight them and must pay them with a bribe. I've had this happen to friends and we saw a lot of tourists being pulled over by the police in the hotel zone.

Janelle outside Alabama car rental.
    • Business Travel

• PrincessK's Profile Photo

Car Rentals

by PrincessK Written Dec 14, 2004

My only advice on this is don't. There really is no need to rent a car for getting about the hotel zone. The only time you may want to consider it is if you want to go off exploring and do Chichen Itza, Tulum etc. on your own without the bind of an itinerary. If this is the case then shop around, preferably downtown, and check out the insurance arrangements in detail, also document in detail any scratches or bumps before leaving the hire place. Beware of the driving habits in Mexico, you will see what I mean when you have taken a couple of bus trips or taxi journeys, it is not like home. If you do go further afield bear in mind that gas stations may be infrequent and the roads may be in poor repair, don't be surprised to hit a speed bump/mountain without prior warning and be prepared to get lost, make sure you have a good map with you. On your travels you may encounter army checkpoints, at first site these can be pretty scary but don't worry, they are mainly checking for drugs and in my experience will wave you on without too much fuss. If you travel to Chichen Itza from Cancun along the main highway be aware that this is a toll road and you will need to make sure you have enough cash to pay the fees both ways, it's not a good idea to be turned off the main road and have to travel back along the jungle route.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Renting in Cancun

by gipper84 Updated Jun 28, 2005

Renting a car in Cancun is actually a really good thing to do if you are down there for a week or more. It provides convience to and from destinations that tour buses usually travel to, because with a car you are not stuck with their designed itenerary, and you can go when you want, and leave that particular place when you want. The price is not bad at all, it is actually quite reasonable. David's dad rented one for our trip to Tulum and Xel Ha. We also used the car to go to Playa Del Carmen. Using the car cut down time, and ended up being quite useful. The photo I provided was not of the our actual car, I still need to get that from David's dad.( so this will have to do for now) Sorry!

• Warnings about renting cars in Cancun

by montvd Written Jul 5, 2009

I rented a car in Cancun to travel to Playa de Carmen for the day. On the way back to our hotel we got pulled over because the police pickup truck could not catch the car speeding by us. After they shook my hand, called me amigo, and had me step to the back of the car, they said I could negotiate a deal or they would take my license. I ended up giving them 40 US dollars worth to get rid of them. Later on I found out from the police headquarters and US embassy, they are not allowed to take money, and they are not suppose to give turrists tickets. They said next time refuse to pay and let them take your license, not that you need it to get back to the states. We were also told by officials, to not give them a dime and let them know you need to contact the embassy to discuss this first, before giving them any money.

• tedandtina's Profile Photo

CAR RENTAL

by tedandtina Updated Sep 24, 2005

Keep the tank at leat half full. Gas Stations are scarce in the HOTEL ZONE...Also on the expressway to Chitzen Itza and Merida...Gas can be hard to fine. Be prepared.

Also, insurance is expensive. Our insurance cost more than the car rental itself...

Also prepare for tolls on the expressway.

Convenient, but rather pricey...

Fill er up...
    • Beaches

• anagrettel's Profile Photo

Around Cancun

by anagrettel Written Sep 8, 2003

Rent a Car is the better way to go around Can Cun, don't feel afraid to stop in small places as Playa del carmen in your trip, it make it fun.
    Better if you are a spanish speaker, don't be affraid of ask directions, but always trust in your feelings about people and not go to hide roads if there aren't Big signs as in Chichen itza or Xel ha.

• Buster Rental Car worked out well for us.

by tahoe_california Written May 22, 2010

After everything I read online, I was extremely apprehensive about renting a vehicle in Mexico. We used Buster Rental Car out of Cancun and drove south all the way to Belize, as well as the entire counrty of Belize, and it was great. We paid $35 a day total, less than $400 for 11 days with insurance and everything. We were given a letter of authorization to cross the border and it worked without a hitch. Daniel and Daniel in Cancun and Ramon in PDC were all very helpful and I am happy to say that nothing went wrong. We were never hassled by police or anyone else. The car ran great and upon inspection the fluids and tires were all up to par. We felt safe and secure with or vehicle the entire time. Daniel was even kind enough to give us a ride to Puerto Juarez when we returned the car.

• Caribbean Rent a Car

by NorthernCanadian Written Mar 7, 2009

My family and I rented a van from Caribbean Rent a Car during our Christmas family vacation. They met us at the airport quite late at night when our flight arrived. They were very nice and accomodating to my family and I. We also wanted to extend our stay in Mexico so I called the car rental agency and asked for a few extra days which they agreed to with no problem. I would definately rent a vehicle from them again and would highly recommend them to anybody interested in renting a vehicle in Cancun.

• Archeology

• Long distance, best to rent a car, short- bus

by margep Written Aug 28, 2008

I would suggest that you rent a car- for longer trips, it would be the cheapest way to go. You can get one when you get there, or order one in advance. You can try priceline.com or some other sites for the best rate. They are fairly reasonable, I have gotten them for about $150/wk., depending on the season. There is also the $11 worth of insurance they tack on to keep in mind. But, it would still save you a bundle! You can also try www.beachcondocancun.com/thingstodo.asp for places to check on the best car rates. If you are just getting around Cancun, there are great buses at only 65 cents to use, that go up and down the main street regularly.

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Car Rental

by brkilbourne Updated May 22, 2007

Take photo's of your vehicle for scratches and dents. Show it the person renting you the car and make sure he makes a note of the damage. I took all the insurance just in case. Driving out of the city is not to bad.
    If you rent in Cancun, verify were they are after you get to Cancun.

• trevndebs's Profile Photo

Harley-Davidson hire

by trevndebs Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just down the road from The hotel, near to Aquaword are the offices of Eaglerider Cancun, a great bunch of guys who hire out Harleys.
    I had a Heritage Softtail and it was superb but a bit pricey- $180 per day ( although worth it! )

Harley

• America car rental

by Gillianm13 Written Jan 14, 2012

This company also known as Caribbean / America/ cancun/ fox are rip off merchants and the worst company I have ever had to deal with. They took money from my credit card without permission and were very rude, a nightmare to try to communicate with and above all gave me, my mother and 4 year old son a more than 20 year old car to drive to Belize with saying it was only a year old. It very obviously wasn't, they said they had no other cars.
    I just wanted to let people know as they were the cheapest I could find who would let you drive the car to Belize.

• American Car Rental

by Ailaan Written May 16, 2013

We rented a car from America Car Rentals. Their web site promised a short shuttle from the airport. It took them an hour to pick us up. The car that we asked for was not available. We wanted an automatic and paid extra for it but it wasn't available and they refused to refund the extra money. We had also asked for a Tourist car in case we got a ticket and they were out of those as well. Don't use.

• STAY AWAY FROM BUDGET CAR RENTAL IN CANCUN

by Victoriaheritage Updated Jan 22, 2011

I had the worst experience when we arrived in Cancun with Budget. When I went to pick-up our rental car the clerk decided to see how badly he could soak us. I have good insurance but wanted to purchase Mexican Insurance, he saw his opportunity and charged us the same price as the car on a daily basis. I had requested a letter to take the car to Belize, which was not ready. I had to drive from Tulum to Playa del Carmen to get the letter, an expedition that took over 5 hours. They insisted on me paying $35.00 for the letter. The car rental went from $335.00 to well over $650.00. To top it all off, there was no cap on the gas tank. STAY AWAY from these unscrupulous people.

• Chrystalain's Profile Photo

Car to rent... be careful!

by Chrystalain Updated Jan 22, 2003

RENTAL CARS : We rented a jeep from the hotel. Well, kind of a jeep! It was sooooooo dangerous to drive that thing! No speedometer, no gazline, the transmission and the direction were not answering very well...Look at my wrist, how much strenght I had to use to keep the car going strainght! And we couldn't adjust the seat. But I have to admit that it was worth it to visit a bit around!

Having a hard time keeping it straight!

Instant Answers: Cancún

• Jan 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Hi! Just came back from Merida 2 days ago and I had the worst experience with them! I made my reservations 2 months in advance and I even recieved an email 1 day before arriving to Merida with a confirmation number and telling me that there would be someone at the airport waiting for us. The day we arrived to Merida after picking up our baggage I recieved a call to my cell phone from the office of Caribbean rent a car telling me they had no cars left to rent and that noone would pick us up to take us to our hotel, eventhou I have a reservation they just told me everything was booked and they could no do any thing about it! and they just hang up the phone!! I was really upset because I was travelling with my 1 year old baby (I even booked a child seat with them). We tryed to rent a car at the airport but as you can imagine everything was booked. We had to take the bus to Merida and rent a car in downtown AVIS, yes the rates are higher but you know you have all the assistance and NO EXTRA CHARGE. I cant imagine what would happen in case of an accident with Caribbean´s cars! Not a trustworhty company at all!! Please be careful and Have a nice trip!