Alcohol and being safe, Cancún

by ATXtraveler
  • brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Crossing the street

by brkilbourne Written Jul 2, 2009

The main strip can be extremely dangerous after a few drinks. Cross at the crosswalks with the light or you may wind up going into the light. If you stand at the corner awhile someone might even help you across ( Miqel at Margaritaville, tipped him $10.00 US the next day, my experience ).

• DANGER!!! AVOID CITY TAXIS!!!

by love-to-travel Written Jan 29, 2009

My friend and I (both 26 year old females) were staying at a resort in Cancun and felt like taking a taxi to Playa del Carmen to experience the culture and night life of 5th Avenue. We fetched a cab from outside of our resort and negotiated a fare of 35 USD. Twenty minutes into the trip the taxi driver decided to get off the highway into an abandoned construction zone. All of a sudden we realized that there was a truck that pulled right behind us. When my friend and I started demanding to go back to the highway the taxi driver stated that this was an inspection and he needed to acquire a permit. Right then I knew that we were in great danger and my first instinct was to get out of the taxi and run as fast as I could. My friend followed and we had to jump 2 fences and run for at least 4 blocks or more to get back to the main road. Luckly, the man in the truck or the taxi driver did not run after us, but this is a warning to all tourists... DO NOT TAKE CITY TAXIS!!!! This was the scariest experience of my life!!!!

• School Holidays
    • Women's Travel

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Watch the Taxi man

by BruceDunning Written Jan 30, 2008

You need to be at least alert enough to get a taxi back to your place at the south end, and make sure the driver knows where and does not divert to somewhere as an interim trip. They sometimes act like they do not comprehend English, but I doubt it. My Spanish language skill is okay enough to get the point across, until they talk too fast. Act like you understand, but point

• Brix67's Profile Photo

Watch Everyone

by Brix67 Written Dec 19, 2005

If you stay on the peninsula you be ok or around many people. Do not trust the police. I was slightly intoxicated one night walking back, late, to the hotel and was stopped by 3 officers in a car, they ask if I had drugs on me looked through my wallet and took the last $20.00 I had and drove off, at least they could have done was give me a ride.

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Alcohol, be safe about it, K?

by Darkeyedgirl Written Aug 17, 2005

I guess this warning will stem from the fact that I am a single female, and you all know what happened in Aruba lately. Cancun isn't Aruba, I know that. But still, there are bad guys (and to be fair, bad girls) all over the planet.

So, for you ladies who travel down there with your girlfriends? Please please PLEASE keep an eye out for each other. Travel in pairs to bathrooms, and no matter how cute that tall, well-off guy is? DO NOT get into a car with him. Don't go off alone. After all, you're there on vacation; not to find the love of your life.

So please, party responsibly.

• lynluvs420's Profile Photo

OCEAN is deadly

by lynluvs420 Updated May 30, 2005

A RED flag means dont swim... a yellow flag means swim cautiously.......I wish i would have paid attention to this!!! I went out to far on a red flag day and got "sucked in" the ocean just pulled me out further....Good thing my boyfriend and the life guard pay attention!! i could have died....first time in the ocean, ever seeing the ocean actually... i was naive.
    It did not scare me from the ocean though!

drunk and crazy
    • Adventure Travel

• SvetlanaL's Profile Photo

Drunk Single Women

by SvetlanaL Written Jan 30, 2005

Spring Break destinations are like a free-for-all. The later it gets, the more people need to be aware of their surroundings and actions, however, in most cases, this simply is not so.

So, this is just a reminder to single women getting drunk and less inhibited: Be careful who takes you home and who you talk to. Remember, alcohol is also called liquid courage. People do things they normally wouldn't even consider doing, and on top of that, may not even remember it the next night.

Try to travel in pairs and keep an eye on your friends.

Drunk and happy
    • School Holidays

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Margaritas appear larger than they really are!

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 19, 2004

Be careful when you enter into bars in Cancun. You will be enticed by small shot bearing waitresses that will spice up your dining experience with a shot of tequila. The margaritas come in three sizes, small, medium, and wow the toilet will look cute. Here is one of the larger margaritas, although I do not think anyone can order this one!

World's Largest Margarita