Safety Tips in Cancún

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Cancún

• salsagyrl's Profile Photo

WARNING AT AIRPORT about Migration Form

by salsagyrl Written Jun 18, 2009

Read this to avoid paying fees at the airport and being told you cannot return to the US.

I unfortunately went through this experience and the only good coming out of it is to be able to warn others. When you are flying into the country you are given a few forms to fill out by the airline during your flight. One portion of the papers includes a small form called a "MIGRATION FORM FOR FOREIGN TOURISTS". Be advised that your airline may not tell you that you need to keep this small stamped sheet of paper and that you MUST HAVE IT WITH YOU when you return to the airport IN ORDER TO GET YOUR BOARDING PASS AND RETURN TO THE US. I have flown international many times and have never been given a small form that I had to have with me upon returning to the airport to fly home. I had the form in my purse the morning I was to fly home, and I was cleaning out my purse of all the things I collected during the trip and did not need anymore. I saw the little form and considered it trash. NO ONE ON THE FLIGHT OR AT THE AIRPORT said anything about needing to hold onto it. I had two other travelers with me and they concur that they heard no mention of needing to keep the little form in order to get their boarding pass to get back into the US.

So what happens if you don't have it when you go to check in at the Cancun airport and get your boarding pass?? You will be told you have to go see immigration and may have to pay a $45 fee among other fees and you may not be able to board your flight!!! Imagine hearing that after you were never told in the first place to hold onto the darned thing. I walked over to immigration and was told by a man in a small immigration office that I had two issues... one was paying the $45 fee at a nearby bank and the other wasn't very clear. He even mentioned that there were problems with Delta and one other airline not informing people of the need to hold onto the form. He began to treat me like I'd be staying in Mexico and was asking me "what should we do" and saying it looks like I'd be staying there. It was a very unpleasant experience. I was so furious at the whole thing and emotional as I am 5 months pregnant. I felt so helpless b/c I did not want to pay any fee or anything else for this nonsense, and I began to cry. Meanwhile, 2 other people showed up at his door with, most likely, the same issue. He told me not to cry and asked why I was crying, and I told him it was b/c I didn't understand what was going on. He then filled a small form out, stamped it for me, and told me I could get my boarding pass with that form. I then walked with my husband over to the airline's check in area. My husband was told by the airline rep that I wouldn't have to wait in line again and could walk straight up there. I had to get past an airport security person to do that. The security person looked at the form I was given and asked if I paid the $45 at the bank nearby. My husband told him we did, and he let us pass through and I got my boarding pass.

I did not pay anything, and I felt like the whole thing was a HUGE SCAM!! Be Warned!! I told a few people about what happened and they had their own stories of incidents in Mexico where they or someone they knew had to pay off police... i.e. for being accused of speeding they had to pay the officer $50 on the spot. Another friend said his buddies lost their migration form and had a lot of trouble getting back to the US.

If anyone has been through this or knows what to do when you are in Mexico and being taken advantage of, please let me know 'msmambonc@yahoo.com'

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Hooking up

by brkilbourne Written Feb 11, 2009

Almost all hotels, all inclusive or not have bracelets and security guards. This is for your safety. Two Canadians, after being warned, brought back 2 locals. All drunk, shortened, police, passports, vomit, fear of Mexican jail, money for cab for girls, etc.

• Singles

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo

Back Packing in Yucatan area

by Fullmoonfever Written Dec 14, 2008

I have on occasion seen postings in the travel forum asking for advice about back packing thru or in the Yucatan area. I would be very careful about doing this. I have been to Mexico and love the place and the people, but it has never been a "low crime" area and is how going thru rough times.

If you decide to back pack anyway, I suggest approaching the reception desk at some of the up-scale hotels in or around Cancun or the other cites that have a lot of tourist and get advice from them.

I would not approach people in just any business, like restaurants', bars, etc.

• Unsolved Murder of canadian couple

by malalaura Written Apr 1, 2008

a couple of years back a canadian couple was brutally murdered in their five star resort hotel room. the hotel was the barcelo maya and they were staying their for their daughters wedding. their names were nancy and dominic ianeiro. what bothers me about this is the sloppy police work that was conducted. the mexican police first falsely blamed 2 canadian soccer moms of the murder then later appologized and said it was a former hotel employee with psychological problems that murdered the couple. however they failed to detain the suspect originally and he fled the country. he is still at large today. beware of resorts in mexico. most of them do not conduct background checks on their employees and when something bad happens they refuse to admit fault. i would also steer clear of the barcelo maya where the murder occured

• saturday travel

by teresamccormick Written Mar 16, 2008

took us 4 hours to get off plane and go to hotel. Only two people checking incoming traffic. Most travelers said they would not choose Cancun as next vacation. Trying to arrive or leave on Delta on a saturday is impossible. The Mexican government will loose alot of travelers unless they can prepare for massive influx. I always go to cancun in feb/march-may rethink travel for 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

The ocean CAn be Deadly

by BruceDunning Written Jan 30, 2008

I warned about the danger of undercurrents, and cannot emphasize enough the risk in going into the water. Let alone, no one is normally around to help you if they could. The current can drag out out to sea very quickly and swimming back brings fast fatiguea and strength

• Bus drivers may try to gyp you

by ephman Written Jan 27, 2008

We got on the R1 bus, with luggage in hand, just outside the downtown bus terminal. The bus driver realizing we were just in town and headed to the hotel zone, took advantage of our unfamiliarity with the bus fare and currency. I handed the bus driver a 50 peso bill for two tickets (2 ticket at 6.50 pesos each) and he handed me back two tickets plus a 20 peso bill underneath. I should have been given back 37 pesos. The moral is: COUNT YOUR CHANGE WHEN YOU GET ON THE BUS.

• pickpockets on crowded bus

by travelingann Updated Jan 26, 2008

The local buses on the hotel zone are very convenient and we've taken them often very safely. However, do beware. On this particular trip, about 6:45 pm, between km 3.5 and 6, the bus was very crowded. Yet the driver let on two males who had no room to stand. I am always very cautious and had my zippered shoulder bag strapped across my front. Even so, they managed to get into the zippered purse to steal my wallet. It was after the Embarcadero stop. I knew something was up when they were pressed against us so tightly and when I glanced down the zippers were open. We dashed off the bus after them, but they had darted across the street - which is very heavy traffic - so I knew it was useless. It just leaves you with a very violated feeling. We were so enjoying our trip and this left such an unpleasant scar. We are sure the bus driver was in on the scam. The pair probably rides up and down the strip collecting wallets all evening. Don't know whether it's even worth reporting to the police as there are probably hundreds of such stories.

What a shame a few jerks have to ruin it for the honest local people as well as the visitors. It's biting the hand that feeds them.

• Seniors

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Strong waves

by leigh767 Written Jan 15, 2008

the clients here around the Yucatán are strong and flags ( red, yellow, green) directed by to beaches to notify visitors of the wave conditions. Unfortunately every season at least one tourist drowns because of ignoring these flag warnings.

Be sure to be careful when serving in these seas because the undercurrent is very strong. If you are looking for a calmer sea, go to Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres.

• School Holidays
    • Work Abroad

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Beware of mosquitos!

by leigh767 Written Jan 15, 2008

I cannot stress this enough--bring mosquito repellent and spray regularly. My friends and I went through 4 cities in 3 weeks in Mexico and didn't get a single bite... until we came to Cancun. I myself got over 10 bites (no joke) on one arm at a cafe by the hotel strip.

Again: BRING INSECT REPELLENT!

• School Holidays
    • Work Abroad

• ilyathemuromets's Profile Photo

Life starts at noon

by ilyathemuromets Written Dec 29, 2007

If you take a tour that starts early in the morning and decide to grab something to eat before you leave, you'll find that all places outside of the (most likely overpriced) hotel cafeteria are closed. Your two options are either hotel food or buy something in advance.

• Be careful bartering after dark

by myca99 Written May 25, 2007

I bartered at the flea market downtown one evening after dinner for a Panama hat for my father. I paid about $20 to get home and find out the hat was dirty and stained from sweat on the inside. Make sure to inspect anything you buy from the flea market before you pay.

• Corrupt Cops in Cancun

by ccnurse29 Written Feb 10, 2007

Just returned from my first trip to the Riveria Maya. While there my family and myself took a day trip into Cancun with our rental car (which we had insured). As we entered the main area, we were hit by a local on a motor bike. The cops were called, and after about 2 hrs of *** from the cops, they told us we would have to pay the guy that hit us $200 and pay a $500 ticket to them, or have our car impounded and go to jail-(that my father was at fault). Well, unfortunately we were too scared to fight back, and we paid the money and got the hell out of cancun, with no plans of ever returning. We did file a report with the US Embassy, but are sure that we will never hear about it or get our money back. Just a warning not to drive in Cancun, or if you do and get into an accident, call the Embassy right away.

• webula's Profile Photo

Starving dogs

by webula Updated Aug 20, 2006

If you venture out into any of the cities or small towns be prepared to encounter starving and thirsty dogs and animals. My heart was broken by the condition of one sweet momma dog and if there was a way for me to rescue her I would have. Next trip I will be sure to have a bag of dog food and extra water with a water bowl for the strays that are always running around.

Broken hearted

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Be Careful of the Police

by lesaandbill Updated Jun 4, 2006

Everyone who goes to Mexico...knows to be careful of the police. Don't do anything out of the ordinary...or else you will be picked up...and easily thrown in jail.

If you stay in the mainstreams of the rest of the tourists...you're fine. If you're in the outskirts...is when you get into trouble.

Cancún Hotels

Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
Sunset Royal Cancun Resort
Crown Paradise Club Cancun

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cancún locals.
Map of Cancún