Safety Tips in Cancún

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Cancún

Accessing Online Bank Accounts

by Kaspian Updated Sep 10, 2004

Accessing your bank account online, even through a secure web connection, is no guarantee that there isn't a keyboard recorder installed on the machine. A pogram like this will log every keystroke you make to a log file on the compter somewhere, the URL for your bank you just typed in, your card number, and your password.
    A good idea is to type in some random numbers within your card number and then right-click and cut them out or delete them. Just keep in mind that someone later may be able to see every letter and number you hit on the keyboard.

Climbing the Pyramid at Chichen Itza

by Kaspian Written Aug 30, 2004

Hundreds of years after the sacrifices stopped, El Castillo is still taking lives at Chichen Itza. The top of the pyramid is very high (79 feet/24 metres), it's unsupervised, and the sides are extremely steep.
    - Keep an eye out above you for other tourists that may have sweaty palms. If they drop their two-litre plastic bottle of water it will become a full-fledged missle before it hits you and sends you to your death.
    - If you get up halfway and have serious reservations about getting back down, better to turn back. The view from the top is spectacular, but the edge is extremely scary and you could be trapped for hours while somebody fetches a park person to come up and help you (with a small tent like structure that goes around you to prevent you from seeing down). They won't send a helicopter.
    - Are you INSANE? Please PLEASE don't let your kids run around on the top of the pyramid! I can't emphasize this enough. Hold them by the hair if you have to. If your child falls off they'll die and you won't be able to sue the Mexican government. They could also crash into somebody else's knees and send them tumbling down. It makes me sick to my stomach everytime I see kids horseplaying up there.

Chichen Itza - El Castillo - Steep! (2002)
    • Archeology

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

A lot of Haggling going on!

by Mairo21 Updated Sep 13, 2005

If it is your first time to Cancun, BEWARE..no nothing serious, but you will get bombarded by people who will try to take advantage of you and pressure you, into buying activities through them...they try to sell you trips to Mayan ruins, to the surrounding islands, and other misc. activites...for a ridiculously low price...Each person claims they have the better price! This process can be overwhelming, especially if you just got off the plane after a 10 hour flight! Bypass them and just say NO! If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Usuually, there's a catch, they want to pressure you into buying a timeshare. You will encounter these 'salesmen' once you land and are trying to exit the airport, and all along the hotel zone.

A typical booth looks like this in the hotel zone.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Police Traffic Stops

by ATXtraveler Written Dec 19, 2004

It would be very wise of you to just take a taxi, because the police officers in Cancun are fairly corrupt and very ruthless. We took a shuttle bus from Playa Tortugas which is really only about 3 miles. We saw several police officers with people pulled over, and then we were stopped. The "ticket" for speeding (which the driver was not), was $13 dollars **about how much lunch for the two officers probably cost** and the person did not have to sign anything. What was interesting was that the police did not have radar or anything, but the driver acted like this happened all the time.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Taxis take tourists for a ride

by Etoile2B Written Feb 8, 2005

When taking a taxi in Cancun make sure you settle on the price BEFORE you get into the cab. Taxis are unregulated and if you don't discuss the destination and fare before you accept the ride you may be in for a lot more than you bargained for... They can charge you exorbitant amounts of money to take you on a short ride if you don't settle on the price prior to getting in the cab.

Hurricanes: Get Out Now!

by Kaspian Updated Oct 26, 2005

OK, I would have thought this tip within the realm of the completely obvious, but after watching the news of hurricanes Emily and Wilma on TV, apparently there are people out there that don't understand what a hurricane is. When you are in Cancun and there are notices of a severe hurricane (i.e., anything labelled "Category") coming ashore, LEAVE! Now! Put down that rum and coke, step away from the buffet line, and for God's sake don't stand around on the beach in your bathing suit watching the storm come in. Go to your room, pack your bags, get a taxi to the bus station, and go someplace inland that's not on the ocean... I hear Merida's nice. Valladolid is pretty too. Here are some hints that things are going to get really bad: the workers at the hotel stop everything and start boarding up all the windows; there are suddenly military vehicles driving around everywhere; your hotel takes down the red "danger" flags on the beach and puts up black or skull-and-crossbones ("Jolly Roger") ones instead (bit of humour on their part); huge deliveries of sandbags start to arrive at the hotel; every ten minutes on CNN they show a massive grey swirl headed straight for the Yucatan Peninsula. Unless you want to spend the next several days in a crowded school gymnasium with thousands of people, possible die or drown, get out. I know the idea of sitting around with others through a big storm may sound kind of "cool", but this ain't your momma's spring shower with rainbows. Also, don't expect your tour representative to be of any help you or make sure you're comfortable; they're understaffed when it comes to trying to dealing with everybody on a case-by-case basis during a catastrophe.

• Spa and Resort

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Car rentals

by Etoile2B Written Feb 8, 2005

If you decide to rent a car in Mexico, beware. I have heard stories of tourists being pulled over by the police for doing nothing wrong. You cannot fight them and must pay them with a bribe. I've had this happen to friends and we saw a lot of tourists being pulled over by the police in the hotel zone. Our friends had to cough up $500 US in cash to get away from the police and they never broke any laws. You can't fight it. The only way out is to pay.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Watch your step!

by gipper84 Written Jul 4, 2005

If you happen to stay on the Moon Palace, there is one tip you can't forget. Watch your step! Located all along the sidewalks are burroughs on the sides of them which iguanas have dug, and hide in. Occasionally they will come out and actually lie on the sidewalk, so as you are walking make sure you don't accidentally step on one like I almost did. Luckily David's dad grabbed me before I did. They won't hurt you if you walk by them, but if you step on them man you are in for a treat. Think about it, how would you like someone walking around your home and stepping all over you, that would make you pretty mad too! So just watch out and don't worry, they won't bother you unless you bother them.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Be Careful Where You Park Your Car!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 13, 2003

We had to leave Canada very early to catch our flight, so I drove our Honda to the Fredericton airport rather than take a cab. While we were gone, the northeastern US and Maritimes Canada had a severe freezing rain, rain and snow storm that resulted in major damage to trees in some parts of New Brunswick. It also left my car looking like this when we arrived back 10-days after we had left. Even after digging it out and clearing the ice and snow off, I could not get it free of the 3 inches of ice frozen around the four tires! I had to call a tow truck just to pull it free from the icey grip. When we arrived home, our driveway entrance was closed due to a 3-foot high frozen bank of snow/ice as a result of plowing the streets. After dragging our lugguge in from the road I had to call for a large 4WD front-end loader to gouge out an entrance for us! Still, Cancun was well worth it!

Ice-Encrusted

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Run as fast as you can!

by gipper84 Written Jun 20, 2005

Okay so for any of you out there who find yourself in trouble with the law in Cancun, I have one real important tip for you RUN! Cancun police don't play around like most police. Rather than carrying the usual handgun, these folks carry the semi-automatic weapons, which basically means we don't play around. So if you get the idea to steal something, or even try to break a law down in Cancun, remember you have been properly warned, as the ole phrase goes, "I told you so!" On a side note, this cop was really nice and he thought it was cool that we spoke Spanish. We had a short little conversation and laughed at some of the stories he told us. Get a photo if you can and take it back with you, trust me the friends will love this one.

Carrie your own suitecases

by Umfufu Written Aug 15, 2003

Nothing wrong with carrying your own suitecases....MAKE SURE YOU DO !! The man who wants to do it for you at the airport will ask you $ 5 or more just to carry them about 200 meters. And its not even carrying what he is doing, just pushing the little trolly.
    I know in Cuba they are doctors and they only ask a $ 1 ..... this is a bit to much.
    Wanna smile again...go to the webpage below and enjoy all beautifull pictures of cancun airport.

Suitecases person at Cancun airport

Delay

by Umfufu Written Aug 15, 2003

It happens to some of us all their travels others will never have an idea what it is to wait for a plane...no not just an hour, that isnt so bad, but what if you have to wait 4 or 5 hours?
    The tip of this warning or danger tip is....bring play cards ! On this picture you can see our new friends ( Hans, Janneke, Henk and Karin) we have made this holiday. They have played more cards then we did....cause we had....gameboys ha ha ha

Playing cards to pass the time

• Umfufu's Profile Photo

Dont film at the airport

by Umfufu Updated Apr 4, 2011

We had a long time of delay when we wanted to go back home. They told us that they plane would come in any minute but we had to wait and wait. Frans was walking around and then he saw the plane of us coming. So he ran to me and got the videocamera....and started filming how the plane came in.......suddenly there was a police-officer he pushed the camera down and told Frans on the brusk way that he wasnt allowed to film in and around the airport.......so you better be warned.

Plane coming in at Cancun

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo

Back Packing in Yucatan area

by Fullmoonfever Written Dec 14, 2008

I have on occasion seen postings in the travel forum asking for advice about back packing thru or in the Yucatan area. I would be very careful about doing this. I have been to Mexico and love the place and the people, but it has never been a "low crime" area and is how going thru rough times.

If you decide to back pack anyway, I suggest approaching the reception desk at some of the up-scale hotels in or around Cancun or the other cites that have a lot of tourist and get advice from them.

I would not approach people in just any business, like restaurants', bars, etc.

• Study Abroad

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Beware of overeating!

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 31, 2013

If you live in an all-inclusive hotel you're always been attacked by the possibility to eat and drink every minute. I knew it and forced myself to forget about 10 restaurants and 6 bars on the territory of the hotel between breakfast-lunch and dinner. But it was very difficult and one time I stopped thinking about the restriction and went to the Magnus restaurant to have a cup of coffee. I took 10 (!!!) cakes, ate them all and had to miss my dinner that day...

You can watch my 1 min 24 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel and Beach part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My 10 cakes

Latest: Jun 4, 2012
Imperial Laguna Hotel
Latest: Jul 1, 2014

Instant Answers: Cancún

Comments

Cancún Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cancún locals.
Map of Cancún