Cobá Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Cobá

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Bring Bug Spray with you

by SJTravel Updated Aug 23, 2010

Coba is in the heart of the jungle so there are bugs galore. Bring bug spray. Spray everywhere, even the places you think you won't need it. My husband was wearing sandles and the bugs bit his feet where the sandles were not covering his feet. I also recommend reapplying the spray. You will be sweating so much that it washes the bug spray off. You will be so glad the next day if you keep this in mind.

• BlondeExcuse's Profile Photo

Crazy Mayan Man Hiding In The Jungle! NOT A JOKE!

by BlondeExcuse Written Mar 31, 2008
    Crazy man who stalked us - look at his whip!

My boyfriend and I were wandering around the Coba ruins and took a number of the jungle trails. Some were really cool and led to ruins you might not see otherwise, but we were STALKED THROUGH THE JUNGLE!!! I swear this is true, I even have pictures.

We walked past the "Grupo Macanxoc" sign, looked at the ruins there, and then found a jungle trail that led to two more jungle trails. We had found so much cool stuff on previous jungle trails that we decided to take it. At the mouth of the trail, there was a big blanket of palm fronds, and we wondered what it was, but decided it was just a pile someone had made to clear out the area. There was also an abandoned rickshaw which seemed odd, but we didn't think much of that either. There was NO ONE else around, but Coba is big and we definitely weren't near any of the bigger ruins, so we didn't really worry about it.

We walked a few MILES into the jungle and kept thinking we'd find something at the end of the path. After about an hour of walking, we decided to turn around, and what did we find? That same blanket of palm fronds, WALKING TOWARDS US!!! We saw it from far enough away that we had about 30 seconds to react. We thought about running into the jungle to hide, but knew that would just get us cornered. The palms stopped short (upon seeing us) and started moving very quickly in the other direction. That was our only way out of the jungle so we had to go that way too. We were both freaking out and when we got to the entrance to the trail again, a man came out from under the palms holding a long, black whip. Luckily we were able to run past him....

Anyway, my advice is to STICK TO THE MAIN TRAILS. Forget about the jungle trails, it's not worth it. This guy was clearly out there "hunting" us and we were lucky to get away (my boyfriend grabbed a large rock and I think scared him off a bit). Also, if you see that blanket of palms or the abandoned rickshaw, STAY AWAY!!!!

• School Holidays
    • Adventure Travel

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Climb with Care!

by wilocrek Written Jan 1, 2008

When climbing Coba's main structure be sure to climb with caution. The steps are extremely steep and uneven. There is a rope that can be used as a handhold but when the steps are wet, and due to all the rain the area get they often are, the steps can be very slick. Plan on wearing shoes with plenty of traction. Don't speed up the steps like a pro because one mistake is all it will take to go tumbling down. My recommendation is when going up use the rope be sure to be aware of every step you take. Going down I recommend going down on your rear step by step with your feet in front of you. It sounds stupid but when you get there you will understand what I mean. These tips are for the overcautious, most people just speed up and down the steps but again its not worth taking a tumble. As you can see from the picture it is as steep as advertised.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Watch your step!

by Dabs Written Dec 9, 2004

You should wear good walking shoes with a tread if you plan on climbing the main pyramid. Some of the stones are pretty slick, going up always seems better than going down at least as far as traction goes.

One of the ladies in our tour group made in up and down the pyramid with no problem but slid on the slick stone at the base and took a header onto the ground. She ended up with a black eye and a pretty bad scrape on her shoulder and although she took it in good humor, I imagine getting into salty water after that was pretty unpleasant.

• Umfufu's Profile Photo

DONT think the sun will shine ALL the time

by Umfufu Written Jul 8, 2003

Peter and Leny in the rain

When we arrived at Mexico we had some rain, nothing much. All the other days were full with rain and about 30 degrees. We made the booking for this excursion the thursday in the first week for the thursday for the next week, and guess what, the rain came down in buckets. Real tropical rain, no stops no dry periods no nothing only water water water. So we were wet through and through!
    And this although the guide came up with umbrellas.... for all of us, only he didnt gave the big ones to the right persons... so thats why Peter and Leny are under a very small umbrella.

DONT touch the trees

Poison tree !!

Some of the trees in the jungle are very poisened. If you touch them you will get an itch and you crasch the poison into the wound. You will get very ill without any doctor knowing what you have.
    The trees are red / brown in colour.

• Umfufu's Profile Photo

DONT swimm in the lake !!

Croc swimming adventure

Alhough we never see one this sign tells different. There are crocs in the lake... or maybe they bring some of them on a leace? I havent got a clue and i dont wanna know, but if you like to swimm with crocs instead of dolphins this is the place to be.
    Near the Coba site, in the lake.

Instant Answers: Cobá

Comments

Cobá Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Cobá warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cobá sightseeing.