Isla Cozumel Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Isla Cozumel

• Tolik's Profile Photo

Activities

by Tolik Written Nov 6, 2003

Favorite thing: Onboard activities and entertainment were good and plentiful. The amount of things to do is endless, from karaoke to piano bars, to disco, to casinos. Cool Calypso played at the Lido Deck; Sensation Orchestra played at the Promenade Deck; you could sing-along in the Piano Bar. There was a Singles Party at Kaleidoscope Disco around 11PM but we did not go. During the day they had different games, such as Battle of the Sexes and the Newlywed and Not So Newlywed Game. They were a lot of fun to watch. Of course there was always bingo. The Casino is like every other casino. If you play, you only have to choose how much you lose and how fast! During the last day at sea they had an ice carving demonstration on the stage by the main pool.

Fondest memory: The evening entertainment was average, this could be improved. We attend both big "Vegas-Style" shows and found them rather mediocre.

We highly recommend the Gala Midnight Buffet on the night of the Captain's party. It is a sight to see if you have never seen one before. They allow you take pictures right before they open up the buffet.

An ice carving demonstration

• dharmabum222's Profile Photo

The perfect beach at the perfect price

by dharmabum222 Updated Oct 21, 2003

Favorite thing: Many of the hotels in Cozumel are in the area of the island where snorkelling and SCUBA diving abounds as it draws the most tourists. Unfortunatly, or fortunalty, depending on why you are there, this means that the shore is full of coral. This makes for beautiful fish, but little sand. If you want to sleep it off at the beach, or if you have kids that want to play in the ocean or rent jet skis, you will need to leave your hotel and go to one of the many beaches north of the main hotel area. Mr.Sanchos, a beach just north of the tourist part of town is one of the only beaches that offer free admission and have anything and everything that you need for a perfect day. The white sand is beautiful, the color of the water is incomparable. You can sit in swings as you sip margaritas at the bar, or sleep in the sand until you turn red! The food is great and cheap. Don't bother paying to get in to any of the other beaches because they are not as nice and will charge you the equivalent of 10 dollars to get in.

Fondest memory: The last night day that I was there, I turned to my best friend, tried to articulate a sentence no more complicated than "do you want to get lunch" and I was so relaxed and so content that I could not speak. This is when I knew that my vacation had been perfect! We laughed for several minutes and then had lunch in our beach chairs as the sun lowered in the sky...

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Car rentals are really cheap

by globetrott Updated May 3, 2003

Fondest memory: Once I had enough time to explore the landscape with some friends. We rented a jeep and someone had taken this picture of me.

Renting a car was really cheap and the island is not so very big, so you may explore quite a lot of it during an afternoon.

• Adventure Travel
    • Sailing and Boating

• HouFelix's Profile Photo

Relatively Unspoiled

by HouFelix Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Despite recent development activity, Isla Cozumel retains much of its sleepy little island character. It's escaped the overdevelopment of some of the other areas in Mexico, notably Cancun, and remains an excellent destination for water activities.

• Eco-Tourism

• GBishop524's Profile Photo

For Divers only

by GBishop524 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The island of cozumel is small with very few ruins for sight seeing. The beaches are nice and the people (outside of the marketplace) are friendly, but the main attraction to this island is the diving. World Class. Water as clear as a pool, vibrant colors and a wide variety of marine life.

Fondest memory: If you get the chance definately take the time to dive "the Devils throat". A coral tunnel that starts at 65 ft and comes out at 135 ft. Water so clear that at even 135 ft you could still see the boat circling above.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: 1. Barracuda Wall (90'-120'+)
    2. Barracuda (90-120'+)
    3. San Juan (40'-50')
    4. Villa Blanca Wall (50'-60')
    5. Paraiso Reef (40'-70')
    6. Paraiso Wall (60'-120')
    7. Chankanaab (35'-40')
    8. Bolones de Chankanaab (40'-70')
    9. Tormentos (50'-60')
    10. Yucab Wall (80'-120')
    11. Yucab (40'-50')
    12. Punta Tunish Wall (50'-120'+)
    13. Cordona
    14. Cordona Deep (50'-60')
    15. San Francisco Wall (45'-120')
    16. Santa Rosa Shallows (40'-50')
    17. Santa Rosa Wall (50' - 120+)
    18. Paso del Cedral (50'-60')
    19. Cedral Wall (60'-120')
    20. Palancar: La Francesca (30'-60')
    21. Palancar: Big Horseshoe (35'-120')
    22. Palancar: Gardens (30'-80')
    23. Palancar: Little Horseshoe (50'-90')
    24. Palancar: Palancar Caves (50'-120'+)
    25. Columbia (60'-120')
    26. Punta Sur (90'-120')
    27. Chun Cha Cab (80'-120'+)
    28. Maracaibo Shallows (70'-90')
    29. Maracaibo (120+)

Reefs in Cozumel

• joefred28's Profile Photo

Streets of San Miguel.

by joefred28 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: There is only one city on the island, San Miguel.It consists of a very long waterfront street, and some side streets.
    The streets are jammed with shops, and in front of just about every shop there are people urging you to step inside.
    I was surprised at the prices at a pharmacy where I bought a small bottle of artificial tear drops. It was $17.50 U.S.
    It costs less than half that much here in the states.

San Miguel waterfront.
    • Spa and Resort

• joefred28's Profile Photo

Sandy beach, turquoise water.

by joefred28 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I have not seen other resorts or hotels on the island therefore I cannot make comparisons, but I am enamored by the Reef club.
    If you are a diver, the Sand dollar dive shop is right next door, you can just walk there.
    Even if you don't dive, it is fun to visit the place, especially if Horatio is there with his turkey. I mean, cockatoo.
    Horatio is an under-water photographer, for a fee he'll go down with you and make an excellent video of your dive.
    I did one dive in the pool, after that I just snorkeled.

Fondest memory: There is no single thing I miss the most about this Island, I miss EVERYTHING.

Sunrise at the Reef club.
    • Spa and Resort

• NitnyLeo's Profile Photo

Drive Yourself to the "Wild Side"

by NitnyLeo Updated Sep 13, 2002

Favorite thing: Rent a Jeep, with 4-wheel drive, and drive yourself over to the Atlantic side, the "wild side", and enjoy the deserted beaches. Just be careful...the water is rougher and the coral is more exposed than on the leeward side.

Fondest memory: A Jeep...a sixpack...warm sun...warm water...fine sand...the roar of the surf...no one around....doesn't get any better. (Okay, it would be better to share it with someone special).

My Very Shy Friend

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Diver Down

by hayward68 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: My favourite thing to do here is scuba diving.

Fondest memory: As my intro states, my 2nd trip to Cozumel was solo. I had been certified as an open water scuba diver 9 months previously and was needing to improve my skills. Cozumel was recommended to me by a travel agency specializing in diving, and as I'd been before and liked it I decided to go back.
    My holiday was during the rainy season but that didn't stop me from enjoying myself. Heck, I was diving most days anyway so I was going to be wet regardless.
    I met great people on the dive boats and became friends with a really nice couple. I even met half of the couple again when visiting the Netherlands the following year.
    The diving was amazing in Cozumel. I took a refresher course and the first time I went underwater I was thrilled to see seahorses. I'd been told they are rare to see so this was quite a bonus for me. Unfortunately, since I was doing a course, my camera was topside on the dock.
    Later on in the trip I even saw my first shark. Okay, it was only a nurse shark but it was still a shark, lol!
    By the end of the week I had done many dives, improved my skills and made some wonderful friends. I'd go back to this island again and again, and many divers do.

• bdbrewer's Profile Photo

Then you have to seek out...

by bdbrewer Written Sep 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Then you have to seek out appropriate entertainment (again choosing your travelling companions wisely) that is suitable to everyone and designed to provide maximum pleasure. Notice the clapping as an example :-))

• bdbrewer's Profile Photo

There used to be an ad on...

by bdbrewer Written Sep 4, 2002

Favorite thing: There used to be an ad on radio and T.V. by the Greyhound buslines. Basically it went, 'leave the driving to us'. I think that is a great way to travel the clear, blue, azure waters of Mexico. Leave the driving to them...

• bdbrewer's Profile Photo

But, alas, like all good trips...

by bdbrewer Written Sep 4, 2002

Favorite thing: But, alas, like all good trips (bad ones too) they come quickly to an end. Here is Barbara looking wistfully at the bridge in New Orleans after we woke up on the last morning. She's wondering where all of the crystal clear, azure blue water went that she was seeing just the day before. All that is left is the muddy water of the great Mississippi River and a short drive home. I would recommend all of you get away and relax NOW... And if you can't get away at the moment .... well .... just relax .... Now let me go get my car out of hock so I can drive home. WHAT? $80.00 just to pick up my car. You've got to be kidding? And ... well ... the stress begins again :-)

Eating On The Water Front

by bdbrewer Written Sep 4, 2002

Fondest memory: This neatest of restaurants. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but CAN get you there. It is on the water front in the town square. Sitting in the restaurant you can look slightly to your right and see the city pier. The food and drinks are fantastic and reasonable.

Eating

• much2do's Profile Photo

Carnival Cruise, Western Carribean

by much2do Written May 20, 2004

Favorite thing: Out of New Orleans, best trip ever been on. Great from things to do, food, swimming, night life, boat was wonderful

• Cruise

Instant Answers: Isla Cozumel

Comments

Isla Cozumel Favorites

Reviews and photos of Isla Cozumel favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Cozumel sightseeing.