Isla Cozumel Restaurants

The inflatables
    by ArenJo
    Attempting to get on...and failing
    by ArenJo
    Me and my niece drinking

Most Recent Restaurants in Isla Cozumel

• CandiceHalee's Profile Photo

Tiki Tok: Give the Tiki Tok a miss!

by CandiceHalee Written May 16, 2008

This place was recommended by our guide on the Cozumel Island tour through Fantasy Travel. The tour was great and we were given a voucher for a free Mexican snack at the Tiki Tok so we went for it.
    There were 5 of us and we had 2 vouchers, so we should have gotten two plates of the free taco chips. We sat around one table, and so were only given one plate, which we felt was a rip off! We had to buy a drink, which was fair (and typical of the free snack voucher everywhere), but the service was terrible! There were others from our tour who had their food before we'd even ordered our drinks and we'd gotten there first! I would normally give them a break cause we were a larger group, but we ordered less than the other couples at other tables, and were served last (not to mention the great chip rip off).
    The food was nothing to rave about, and we didn't feel the service deserved a tip, so we paid the bill and left. The final strike against this place happened when the waiter chased after us and told us the bill didn't include a tip. We just nodded and left.
    Maybe the Tiki Tok is good for some, but no one in our group felt it was worth the time or money, we've all had better for a lot less.
    Oh, and their pineapple juice came from a can!

• diveinak's Profile Photo

eat in the local taco restaurants

by diveinak Written Feb 24, 2008

eating in one of our favorite spots

if you walk the side streets, you are bound to find a delicious local taco restaurant....they are CHEAP and scrumptious...you can't go wrong....if you want local food, stay away from the big touristy restaurants downtown....

Favorite Dish: fish or chicken tacos

• JocelynR's Profile Photo

La Lobsteria: A great unspoilt local restaurant

by JocelynR Updated Oct 2, 2007

Quaint but nice inside.

This place was recommended by a friend. If you did not know about it in advance, I doubt you would find it as it is away from the places on the main street.

The building is a typical Mayan house built in 1899, rustic, casual decor and a thatched roof. Looks quite romantic at night with all of those candles. Pleasant courtyard foe eating outside.

It is a simple, friendly place with great food, good service, at good prices....give it a go! I can't remember the exact prices but they were very reasonable!

NOTE...it does not take credit cards.

Favorite Dish: Green fish! Sounds strange but it was super...the green came from the mint it was cooked in.
    Lobster tails...cooked to your liking and reasonably priced.
    Prawns...large and lovely, mine came with super fresh vegetables.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Mezcalito's Restaurant & Beach Bar: Mezcalitos--redux!

by TheTravelSlut Written Jul 6, 2007

My

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Refer to part one for details but the additional photos here in this tip show the menu, the surrounding area and some more of the frivolity that goes on. :-)

Favorite Dish: Gilligan's cheeseburger-'nuff said.

The photo below has the menu from March 2007.

I have sampled many items over the years and like them all.

• Beaches

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Mezcalito's Restaurant & Beach Bar: Mezcalitos--Not to be missed on eastern Cozumel!

by TheTravelSlut Updated Jul 6, 2007

Yes, they have a naked beach for the adventuresome

Let me start off by saying --I LOVE MEZCALITO'S!! I have loved the place since my 1st visit several years ago and I never go to Cozumel without making the trip to the island's east coast to spend time here.

I know it is a combination of a great staff (thanks Francisco!), great guests (thanks Nancy &
    JoJo), great food & great margaritas--all in a setting that is postcard perfect. It has been there over 25 years & has a very interesting history (see their website).

Whether you go there to eat, drink, take a siesta in their hammocks, listen to Jimmy Buffett or Bob Marley music, play the ring-toss game, have a shot out of one of their "special shot glasses", people-watch, buy a t-shirt, cavort on their "Naked Beach", or just gaze at the beach & water---you will have a great time.

They feature the islands' coldest beer (all of the Mexican brands), “The Mother of All Margaritas” (my favorite drink), Mezcalito's Super Shrimp & their half-pound "Gilligan's" Cheeseburger (my favorite also).

You can take a cab from downtown to and from Mezcalito's. I have always arranged for a round trip & agreed upon the price ahead of time. It has never been more than USD $10-15 one-way. I also arrange for a cab to pick me up at a fixed time for the same amount & they have always been there but don't rely on this if you need to get back to town quickly to catch a cruise ship!

Mezcalito's can always help you catch a ride back into town if needed.

There is always something happening there. Last trip in March 2007, I started a "shot frenzy" among the female patrons. Mezcalito's uses some unusally shaped shot glasses. :-)

I then had my signed "The Travel Slut" t-shirt nailed to the ceiling after some time on the attached "Naked Beach" & later some "negotiations". See if you can spot it near the other t-shirt with my VT motto.

NOTES: Mezcalito's does not accept credit cards (cash only).

They use 100% purified ice for beer & drinks & use gas for their food preparation.

It's hot & sunny so stay hydrated & use plenty of sunscreen.

Favorite Dish: Mezcalito's offers some great food along with their signature drinks and beers.

Everything from Catch of the day (with butter & garlic), Mezcalitos Super Shrimp, Seafood platter to shrimp fixed just about any way you can think of.

They also feature (my favorite) Gilligans cheese burger with over ½ pound of meat plus
    Fish burgers, Chicken burgers and Shrimp burgers.

More traditional items include fajitas made of chicken, fish, shrimp, burgers, combination, and
    vegeterian. The same goes for tacos.

A nice starter is their chicken nachos!

• Beaches

• chavee's Profile Photo

Pancho's Backyard: Went two days in a row

by chavee Written May 17, 2007

This place was right around the corner from our hotel so I finally had to stop by as I was passing by it every time we left our room. I'm so glad I did because the food and atmosphere were great. I started with the cilantro soup and had a sampler for the main dish. The soup was great. I love cilantro and this soup was both refreshing and tasty. The sampler consisted of a filet of beef, a chili relleno, a tamale, rice, and a guacamole salad.

I loved it so much that we stopped by for lunch the next day. This time I tried the red bell pepper soup and some fish tacos. The tacos were lightly fried pieces of mahi-mahi in corn tortillas with some shredded cabbage. I had been wanting some fish tacos so these really hit the spot.

• Water Sports
    • Photography

• Sabores: Simplicity at its Best

by MsHux Written May 1, 2007

Just a little off the madness of the plaza is the Mexico I always imagined: sleeping dogs, glaring white buildings and quiet streets. Feeling overwhelmed by the heat and rowdiness of the plaza we found Sabore's. I'd read about it here on VT. So we walked through the house, and the kitchen and took a seat outside in the refreshing back yard. It was shaded and cool. The flowers were fabulous. Our waiter did not speak English, but we managed. There were other Americans (divers) finishing lunch and seemed very happy so it was relaxing from the first moment. The woman brought us beer, chips, two salsas and a big plate of guacamole to start. Then we got a bowl of chicken broth w/pasta and veggies (tasted like home-made broth). Strangely refreshing in the heat. I felt cooled after eating it. The woman tried to describe the specials, but we just said pollo (chicken). My husband and I shared a plate of very thin chicken scallopinis that had been marinated in lime and grilled, yellow rice, black beans, pickled veggies and tortillas. We had 3 bears and a large pitcher of sweet tea. Soooo good! We were on a cruise and I had despaired of the tourista overload ... this restored my dream of sleepy, lovely Mexico. Oh - total bill $16.00 US.

Favorite Dish: Guacamole was outstanding. Like everything else, the basic ingredients were fresh and perfectly seasoned. Quality food prepared in a simple and delicious style.

• Cruise

• bee_tc2006's Profile Photo

Senior Frog's: food and drink

by bee_tc2006 Written Jan 18, 2007

This is a nice and fun place to go. There's music and some of the waiters and waitresses dance.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember the name of it,but I ate the grilled chicken breast and I had a drink called
    " Big frog",it had melon liquer,and rum in it,it was pretty good,meal and drink.

• Fasulye's Profile Photo

Fiesta Americana Resort restaurant at dive shop: Get the Grouper Sandwich!

by Fasulye Written Nov 23, 2006

Clean. Good service. Accepts credit cards. Setting is along shore next to dive shop and swimming pool. Screened in, so you get the nice sea breeze.

Favorite Dish: Grouper sandwich is outstanding. Served with fries. We also had quesadillas and Coke.

• Spa and Resort
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• aligobs's Profile Photo

Carlos 'n Charlies: Liquor, Food, Drunken Fun under one roof

by aligobs Written Oct 12, 2006

The food is really secondary. The drinking and dancing really come first. It doesn't matter if you arrive at noon you will be drunk by 12:30pm. But don't be afraid, this is hugely fun. My group averages in age around 40 - 45 years old and that's old enough to know better but we got sucked into the whole conga line for shots and dancing on your chairs thing while being acosted by the waiters and waitresses that have a thing for spanking your bum. Don't miss it even if you just have a few hours to kill in Cozumel. You won't regret it.

• Las Brisas: wait for the fish

by toeneebee Updated Aug 25, 2006

it was raining ,we{five of us} wanted to dry off a little, we went for a couple of beers,the tapas started toarrive and never stopped until we begged that we couldn't eat anything more.Not long after we sat down Gilberto -keyboards-started to play and for the 2 1/2 hrs
    kept on playing ,the staff said bailamos ,we had to ! It was one the best days of trip,the staff
    didn't wanted us to leave-4 crazy canknuckleheads&1 beautiful Belgian-what did you expect-
    50 Sols for us +10 for the staff= 900 pesos and tapas were included in the price of the Sols
    how can beat it.

Favorite Dish: the fish was amazing,but so was thesalsa,the guacamole,the wings

• Beer Tasting

• JocelynR's Profile Photo

Coconuts bar and grill: Great spot to stop for a drink/meal!

by JocelynR Written Aug 12, 2006

Coconuts bar is in a great setting. High up or as high as you get on this island with an unspoilt view of a deserted beach...Great! Just a great place to sit and chill away from the busy places!
    It is the kind of place you would probably just drive passed if you did not know about it in advance.

Favorite Dish: Only stopped for a cocktail here and very good they were too! But if I had been hungry I would have loved to eat at this place. Unspoilt with very friendly staff. Give it a go

• donforse's Profile Photo

Carlos and Charlies: A staggeringly good time

by donforse Updated May 31, 2006

It is impossible to stay sober in Carlos and Charlie's for more than half an hour. Roving shot girls fill you with some local beverage then commence to physically acost you. This includes jamming shot glasses in your underwear, biting your nipples and performing other harmlessly lewd acts.

The food was fine, I guess. With the amount of alcohol I consumed, I could have eaten grilled shoe leather and loved it.

A few hours in this place and you'll have the time of your life. Just don't take any cameras.

Favorite Dish: Tequila, Cerveza Sol, and various local concoctions.

• FntsyAngel's Profile Photo

Sonora Cafe: Best Steak EVER!

by FntsyAngel Written Apr 10, 2006

filet mignon - $150 peso (15 USD)

This restaurant had the absolute best filet mignon I have ever tasted in the world and it was not expensive at all. It also had great surf and turf with either shrimp or a lobster tail and a free first round of drinks (yay!) for the whole party (there were 7 of us)... if you like your margaritas strong, your steaks tender, and your seafood fresh, this place is for you. the staff was friendly and accomodating and it had a great ambiance. framed black and white photos on the wall and even a guitarist roaming about! i LOVED this place.

Favorite Dish: the filet mignon. price $150 pesos (~15 USD). there are absolutely NO words to describe this steak. it was wonderful. tender, juicy and perfectly cooked. sided with fresh grilled vegetables, a twice baked potato, and topped with mushroom sauce and two stips of bacon on a hot skillet, and a free drink, this steak really can't be beat.

• School Holidays

• andy3k's Profile Photo

La Lobsteria: Great Seafood, Quiet Ambiance

by andy3k Updated Mar 19, 2006

My family of 3 stayed 4 nights in San Miguel, Cozumel starting 3/14/2006.

La Lobsteria is a small, unassuming restaurant a few blocks off the main road. The menu is mostly seafood. This was the ONLY restaurant where all three members of my family ordered different menu items and enjoyed everything we ordered.

This unique eatery presents itself as a plain building with a thatched roof. Inside, you see quaint tropical décor with light and air streaming in from the windows and doors. We couldn't ignore the noise of occasional traffic outside the building but we considered the intrusion to be minimal. The stereo played a low-volume mix of acoustic guitar and Mexican folk music (very nice). The service was not fast. We always make special requests with our food and the staff did a better job than most other places, though not perfect, of giving us what we wanted.

Of all the restaurants we went to eat, during our entire stay, this would be the only restaurant that my whole family would put on our Must Revisit list.

Instant Answers: Isla Cozumel

Comments

Isla Cozumel Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isla Cozumel restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Cozumel sightseeing.