Isla Cozumel Shopping

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Cariloha: The Bamboo Store

by DEBBBEDB Written Jul 23, 2013

panorama of the store

I heard about this shop when I went to the shopping seminar on the ship. I thought bamboo seemed like a good idea. When you get to the store they give you a necklace made out of bamboo, and you have to say "Cara LO ha" with them.

What to buy: They have sheets, towels and really soft blankets. They also have t-shirts, socks and hats. You can order them and buy on-line too.

What to pay: A woman's T-shirt is $34.00
    A bath towel set is $70.00
    A king bed set is $199.00

• Eco-Tourism

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Atlantis Submarine: Turtle for $4.00

by DEBBBEDB Written Jul 23, 2013

Turtle

We were early for our tour, so my grandmother told me to go and look in the shop. I saw this turtle but it was marked $100. I thought that was too much. My grandmother told me to ask how much it was in US dollars. They said it was $4.00. So I bought it.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Chedraui or MEGA: Groceries

by grandmaR Updated Jul 5, 2013

In 2013 - new big market

When we stayed here in 1998 there was a new supermarket called Chedraui out by the Barracuda Hotel at the beginning of the Southern Hotel Zone. It was still there in 2007. Bob used to walk out there from town and get incidentals

In the food section you have a good selection of fresh fruits, vegatables, dry goods, liquor/beer, softdrinks, meats, cheeses, and freshly baked breads and pastries. There is also a pharmacy, household goods, clothing, baby goods, personal care products and a hardware section.

There are other stores in Cozumel also - San Francisco is the same as Chedraui but not as big. There are two locations: Avenida 30 and Juarez and south on Avenida 65.

In 2013 we saw a newer big market. In November of 2008 the new Mega Supermarket opened its doors to the public. There are fresh vegetable bins that actually automatically mist these beautiful delights as a crew of employees make sure that only the freshest and most beautiful items are left on the shelf. don't worry if you forgot to bring that hair dryer, or A1 steak sauce, or vintage wine that made you feel civilized in the past. Just bring your shorts and flip flops and Mega can supply the rest of your creature comforts

What to buy: We were told that we should only drink bottled water (photo 2), so we got that much less expensively at the Cozumel Market which is located between 20th and 25th on Adolfo Rosado Salas. This is a more "Mexican" market. We didn't have any cooking facilities, but if we had, we could have purchased fresh seafood, meats, fruits, vegetables, spices and a variety of other Mexican foods.

• Store called the Mexican Flea Market: Avoid

by MicheleB10 Written Jan 1, 2013

Basic souvenir shop that also sales jewelry. Be careful as the will try to sell you silver telling you it is white gold. Does seem to have nice blankets at an expensive price. Very aggressive sales techniques. Biggest complaint is the misleading information provided on the jewelry.

What to buy: Jewelry at reputable stores.

What to pay: Try to purchase products when the cruise shopping expert is in the store to help guide you.

• Mexican Flea Market Puerta Maya Pier Cozumel: Avoid

by MicheleB10 Written Jan 1, 2013

I would stick to the cruise ships shopping experts advice. Don't shop at stores that do not have the recommendation from the shopping expert. Avoid a store called the Mexican Flea Market at the Puerta Mayo pier. This store tried to sell me silver by telling me it was white gold, etc.

What to buy: legitimate jewelry from reputable stores that the cruise ship shopping expert will point you to.

What to pay: Try to purchase when the shopping expert is in the store to help you determine appropriate price.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Tucan: Mexican Made Crafts, Jewelry and Souvenirs

by cjg1 Updated May 3, 2012

Tucan is basically a one stop store for any quality souvenir you could want to find. This is not the typical shot glass and tee shirt place; this is hand crafted unique items. There was a large selection of pottery, silver jewelry, dolls, housewares, spices, condiments, Christmas ornamnets, linens etc.

We picked up several types of hot sauces to bring home as well as some ceramic bowls for the kitchen.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Puerta Maya: Shopping for cruise passengers

by Dabs Updated Jan 29, 2012

Puerta Maya, where Carnival and Princess and perhaps other ships dock, is one of Carnival's manufactured ports. And that means shopping, you can find duty free liquor and the usual assortment of souvenirs in the stores. I would have preferred to go into San Miguel to do our souvenir shopping but we didn't leave ourselves a lot of time so it was simply more convenient to shop here. We did have a look around at the few shops and craft market across the street which is where we bought most of our souvenirs. The price we haggled them down to was the exact same price of the same items at the shops inside Puerta Maya so don't assume that you will be paying less by buying outside the complex.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Miro's: More t-shirts to choose from

by joiwatani Written Oct 16, 2011

Do not buy at the first store that you see. Look around first and check the item you wanted to buy including its price. You will be surprised to see how the prices vary.

Go back to the store where the quality of the t-shirt is better and cheaper.

At Miro's, they have a lot of t-shirts from extra large to small and to children's outfits. They also sell island dresses.

What to pay: ve t-shirts for $20.00

Different stores: Gifts of arts and crafts in Cozumel

by joiwatani Written Oct 15, 2011

There are many stores in Cozumel selling various arts and crafts. Some are expensive and some are cheap. Some stores sell woodcarvings of sea turtles, jewelry boxes, arts and crafts.

Shop around first because there are many neat things to buy. Always remember that when you buy something fragile, to request the shop owner to pack them for you.

I love the Mayan woodcarvings of masks, chess sets, domino sets, Last Supper and the turtles made of abalone.

What to buy: Arts and crafts

What to pay: Make sure to shop around for the cheapest price.

Different shops: The local stores at the beach in Cozumel

by joiwatani Written Oct 15, 2011

There are many stores in Cozumel - near Punta Sur. They are small and have no names on them and they sell different kinds of gifts and crafts.

I saw stone carvings of the Last Supper, the Chichen Itza, Mayan masks, chess sets, Mexican hats, cowboy hats, etc.

What to buy: Locally-made items like those made by the Mayans

What to pay: Make sure to bargain.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Various gift shops: Collecting refrigerator magnets?

by joiwatani Written Oct 6, 2011

I collect refrigerator magnets and that's the first thing I buy whenever I go to a particular destination. I buy at least five and bring them home as gifts, too.

You can buy refrigerator magnets at different gift shops. I prefer to buy refrigerator magnets that are made of rubber because even if they fall from the refrigerator, they won't break unlike those made of ceramics!

Refrigerator magnets price range from $1.99 to $4.99.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cariloha: Green Bamboo Products

by cjg1 Updated May 10, 2011

Cariloha is a shop that sells apparel and housewares made from bamboo. I definitely wanted to stop in this store since I have several shirts and towels at home made from Bamboo. Bamboo is so soft yet strong; I love that it's cooler and more breathable than cotton. My wife loves that the bamboo towels dry quickly and are anti-bacterial.

The store had a nice selection of tee shirts, towels, bedding and other items. I managed to find a nice blue tee shirt with a simple design on the front right corner and the back. Pricing wasn't bad with the tee shirt costing $25.

• sargentjeff's Profile Photo

Ultra Jewels: Buying a luxury watch in Cozumel

by sargentjeff Updated Apr 4, 2011

One happy buyer

Ultra Jewels staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The made every effort to make our shopping a good experience. We spent a good deal of money here, and they were reassuring in every way that our purchase was legitimate. I had my watch checked out once we returned to the states, and it was determined to be legit. I've read posts on the internet about this store claiming they do not sell what they advertise, but our experience was good

What to buy: Any first rate watch or piece of jewelry

Centro Comercial Punta Langosta
    (52) (987) 869 1471/1577;
    UltraJewels: (52) (987) 869 1605/1607

What to pay: lots

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Los Cinco Soles: Souvenirs!

by garridogal Updated Apr 4, 2011

Miles of Stores....

This is a big store with lots to buy! Jewelry (bought a gorgeous Moonstone ring), Dia de los Muertos memorabilia, food, salsas, clothing and many, many, many varieties of Pottery. Very pretty, very reasonably priced.

What to buy: Everything Mexican!

What to pay: You can spend a lot or a little....!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Local Shops: Handwork

by grandmaR Updated Apr 28, 2010

Small red hammock bought in Cozumel

I do not normally like to shop, but it is almost inevitable to do it in Cozumel in the evening. The first night we were there, I bought myself a black embroidered shift. It had embroidery all around the top and more on the hem (detail photo 4). I did bargain a little (starting to walk out at least once) and may have paid about $10 for it.

I later gave it to my mom because I don't like to wear black when we are on the boat because it is too hot. Also it did't have pockets - although my mom put some in because she likes to have pockets too. In the second picture, she is 95 years old.

What to buy: I got some small hammocks for putting on the bulkheads of the boat to put things in - they cost only a couple of bucks. I also got a small painting at a stand near the main square, and I bought a vest for my daughter, plus various items of clothing (T-shirts etc - photo 5) and key chains etc for Xmas presents for various members of the family.

I attempted to buy a topaz which is my birthstone, but after a difficult time with the language barrier, I determine that the jewelry was cheap because it was made with artificial stones, so I didn't buy any.

Instant Answers: Isla Cozumel

Comments

Isla Cozumel Shopping

Reviews and photos of Isla Cozumel shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Cozumel sightseeing.