Isla Cozumel Transportation

From behind the shoulder of my biker
  • Transportation
  • Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Isla Cozumel

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Ferries from Playa del Carmen

by Dabs Updated Dec 14, 2009

PDC/Cozumel ferry

Updated December 2009

There are two competing ferry companies, UltraMar and Mexico Water Jets, that run from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel from the pier at the south end of town, they leave on the hour but not every hour so you should check the day before to see what time they run. Currently UltraMar's schedule for December 2009 is different for even and odd days of the month which seems kind of peculiar. The schedules I found on the internet are useless, they may change from day to day or month to month.

The ticket booths are right next door to each other as you approach the dock area, both in Playa and in Cozumel, the one with the next ferry will be the one that is currently selling tickets. There is no savings to buying a round trip so wait to purchase your return fare to see which ferry meets your schedule better, we bought a round trip and then had three hours to kill, fortunately they refunded our money from UltraMar and we bought tickets on Mexicana. They both take about 35-40 minutes and cost 140 pesos each way (currently $11 US). They only take cash but they take USD or pesos.

There was plenty of room on the ferry going both directions so you don't need advance reservations but get in line early if you want to sit in a particular spot.

• Quero's Profile Photo

Hop in a cab, but negotiate a price first

by Quero Written Nov 16, 2004

Taxis are the easiest way to get wherever you can't walk in Coz. When you arrive at the airport, you will need to go to the little booth in the arrivals hall to pre-pay your fare to your hotel. It won't cost much since the airport is just a ten-minute drive from San Miguel.

For every other trip you make in a taxi, just flag a cab down in the street (it costs less than if you pick one up in front of a hotel), tell the driver where you are going, and he'll set the price, which works on a zone system.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Cruise on in

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 4, 2005

Norweigan Sea in Port of Cozumel

On a seven day cruise, we normally dock in 3-4 ports, one of which on this trip was Cozumel. Since Cozumel is an island just off the coast of Mexico, it makes for a great tour location for cruise ships. The pier is convienently located, and very easy to disembark from. Normally 2-4 ships are in port at all times, so it is a fairly hectic port!

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Rent a scooter

by Maria_75 Updated Nov 21, 2004

Our scooter at Punta Morena

A great way to see the island is to rent a scooter. Many sites on the net and guidebooks warn about driving on the island, but we had no problems at all. Parts of the westerncoast even have own lanes or roads just for bikes and motorcycles. The only problem we had was some confused dogs running around on the road, plus birds and bats coming a bit too close sometimes. But we never had any problems with the road, cars or other scooters.

There are plenty of places to rent scooters, so it's worth to check a bit around. Some have really great offers, but the price doesn't include anything. It's better to pay a bit more to get insurance, gas and other things included.

• Quero's Profile Photo

Two or four wheels and an engine?

by Quero Written Nov 16, 2004

Lots of people just rent scooters to get around the island. I must say that I was tempted, and might be tempted again.... However, lots of people, both locals and visitors, die in moped accidents on Coz. It looks like fun, but in fact you will probably get the crap scared out of you, even if you are an experienced biker.

If you want the independence of self-drive rather than using taxis, consider renting a car. Make sure you book ahead as demand often outpaces supply. Don't think you can rent a car in Cancun and take it over on the ferry--by all reports, it's fraught with frustration and difficulties.

Use your feet

by Quero Written Nov 15, 2004

If you stay near the downtown area, as I did, you only need your feet to get to most places. To go further afield, like going to the Mayan ruins or the east coast beaches, you will need wheels, though.

FYI so you get an idea of the walkable domain of San Miguel, enlarge the map in the photo. The place I stayed--Vila las Anclas--is shown with a blue checkmark.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Take the ferry

by Maria_75 Written Nov 21, 2004

The ferry to Playa del Carmen

If you are somewhere on the Mayan riviera you can take a ferry to Cozumel. The ferry goes from Playa del Carmen almost every hour. The ride takes about half an hour, and costs 10-15 USD for a roundtrip. The sea can be quite rough so if you have problems with seasickness it can be a good idea to take a pill before you go. If you are staying at Cozumel in your holiday you should take a day and go to Playa del Carmen or some of the other places on the Mayan riviera.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Mopeds/rental cars

by Dabs Updated Dec 14, 2009

Scooter (Dec 2009)

On our 3rd trip to the island we finally decided to rent a 2 person moped (scooter) and see some of the rest of the island, although my husband really enjoyed driving it and we had no problems with it besides our inability to get the seat compartment open to get our stuff out, all the guidebooks caution that there are a lot of accidents especially with tourists not knowing the rules of the road and not being overly familiar with driving scooters. Some of the roads are a bit bumpy and you have to watch for the occasional large pothole. At certain parts, there appears to be a service road and a main highway, stick to the service road where the traffic is a bit slower. Besides downtown, there's only a couple of roads on the island so it's practically impossible to get lost.

We paid $25USD for the day which was normally the 3 hour rate, the guy next to us paid $20USD so the rates are certainly negotiable. I was a bit suprised that they rented to us without either one of us having our drivers license with us, actually I'm not that suprised as it is Mexico. It's probably a good idea to have yours with though in case of an accident or a traffic stop.

In retrospect, I wish we had rented a Jeep, the backseat on the scooter was a bit uncomfortable after a while and when it started to sprinkle, those little drops hurt! Once we got on the east side of the island, the wind was really strong and my helmet was smacking my head but it was really nice to finally see the rest of the island.

• dharmabum222's Profile Photo

The best 40 dollars you can spend!

by dharmabum222 Written Oct 21, 2003

If you intend to travel around the island of Cozumel from the tourist center, renting a car is priceless! If you walk in to any budget rental care store front you can rent a jeep, suzuki, or VW safari (which was a blast) for the equivalent of 40 dollars a day. All of the sand beaches, Mayan ruins and the most beautiful remote parts of the island are pricey to get to by taxi so you end up saving money in the end. Also, it is impossible to get lost because there is only one road that goes around the driveable part of the island.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Windowless in the Rain

by hayward68 Updated Sep 26, 2003

Mexican Bug

There are several ways of visiting Cozumel. I flew from Toronto twice, once direct and once changing planes in Cancun. The first flight we still touched down in Cancun, went through customs and got back on the plane. We were dropping Cancun passengers off that's why we had to stop there.
    Another way is by ferry from Playa Del Carmen. It's a fairly cheap trip and many do day trips to and from the mainland this way. The ferry terminal is right in town in San Miguel, so once you get off the ferry, walk straight and the main square is in front of you.
    You might also visit Cozumel on one of the many cruise ships that visit this port. It's quite a popular stop though the ships are damaging the reef since they've had to build newer docks for the ever expanding cruise ships.

To get around the island I would suggest renting a car unless you feel like renting a moped. A car is preferable to me as I was hauling my snorkelling gear with me, plus the top on the car was very handy since I once visited during the rainy season. I will say that my little VW Bug didn't have side windows so I still got wet. It was a convertible so I could take the top down if I wished.

It doesn't take long to circle the island so unless you plan on driving to and from your resort I wouldn't suggest getting a rental for more than a day or two because parking in town is a pain in the butt.

There's only one or two gas stations on the island, so watch the level in the tank.

You could do what I did to get a free car rental and that was to sit through a time share seminar. I was by myself and bored anyway, I knew I wasn't going to buy into it. But I did get a free lunch, a free blanket, free bottle of tequila and a day's car rental out of my time, so it was well worth it for me.

Pictured is my rental, very cheap car, the truck locked with a padlock, lol! But hey, it got me from point A to point B and that's all that mattered ;-)

Fly In

by grandmaR Updated Dec 28, 2008

Airport

Since Cozumel is an island, there are two ways to get there - by air and by boat. I took a little puddle jumper from Cancun. I got a free ticket on Delta to anywhere in North America by taking a voluntary bump. Almost all the flights (BWI to Atlanta to Cancun to Cozumel) were code-shares - most of them were not on Delta. When I went to get on the plane to Cozumel they had a fit and made me take the little open ended wrenches I had for my dive equipment out of my bag - no tools allowed. I had to leave them there - they gave them to the pilot to transport for me. I don't know what they thought I was going to do - take the plane apart bolt by bolt?

The pilot did take the wrenches to Cozumel for me and I retrieved them when I got there.

My husband flew directly in from Miami on AA. I don't think that flight is available anymore. He had an unused ticket from BWI to MIA, so all I had to do was get him a ticket from Miami to Cozumel.

The other alternative is to take a taxi or some land transportation from the Cancun airport to the ferry and then take the ferry over.

From...................To............................By....................................................Cost
    Cancun Airport....Playa del Carmen....Bus (operated by ADO or Riviera)...$8 per person one-way.
    Cancun Airport....Playa del Carmen.....Colectivo (shared) taxi mini-van...$16 per person one-way.
    Cancun Airport.....Playa del Carmen....Private taxi (3 or 4 people depending on luggage)...$50 upwards per taxi one-way.

Playa del Carmen.....Cozumel....Ferry (run by Ultramar or Waterjets)...$11 per person one-way.*

Or else come by cruise ship.

• Eco-Tourism

• Quero's Profile Photo

Are you visiting Cancun first?

by Quero Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you are already in Cancun, one easy way to get to Coz is by passenger ferry from Playa del Carmen (a half-hour ride from Cancun). This is a good option if you are visiting Cancun first, or if your air ticket is way more expensive if you add the extra segment to your itinerary to get to Coz. The trip takes about 30 minutes and costs less than $10 US each way.

Be aware, however that you need to *get* to Playa del Carmen in order to get the ferry, and this can be both time consuming and a pain in the a**, especially if you are trying to get there from the airport and are carrying a bunch of luggage (read "dive gear"). You will have to take the airport bus to the Cancun bus terminal (costing about $10), and from there get another bus to Playa del Carmen pier (add another $5 or so).

Alternatively, you can book an airport transfer from Cancun airport directly to the ferry terminal at Playa del Carmen. It costs $30 per person one way (and you can pre-book if there are two or more pasengers (see website below).

If you do take the ferry and plan to travel directly from Coz to Cancun airport the same way, make sure to get to the ferry terminal early, just to make sure you get a seat before the boat fills up or you might miss your flight!

• Quero's Profile Photo

Coming in on silver wings?

by Quero Updated Nov 16, 2004

One-way airfare from Cancun costs about $70 US. If you aren't worried about schlepping a heavy bag of dive gear from the airport to the bus then the ferry and finally to your lodgings once you arrive in Coz, you might consider saving that money (for two more dive boat outings with four more tanks of compressed air) by taking the ferry (there's a separate tip about that).

Taking the ferry straight from the airport requires a fair bit of patience, though, if you opt for the economical path, so you should consider your options and weigh the cost/benefit balance carefully.

Many By Sea

by grandmaR Updated Nov 24, 2006

Cruise ship slips past the town square

Cozumel is an island, so there is no "one if by land". You either fly or you come by water. The water route can be a big ship like a cruise ship, or by ferry, or if you have your own boat you can use that.

But most people who are coming to Cozumel either fly or come on a cruise ship. Cozumel built a cruise ship dock in the late 90s, but Hurricane Wilma in October 2005 really laid waste to the island including destroying the cruise ship docks. But the people of Cozumel got to work and were ready for more cruise ship visitors within a month or so. At first the passengers were brought ashore by tenders, using the ferries. One year on, the island's mayor says the town has completely recovered.

Two cruise ship piers have re-opened and work is under way on the third - Cozumel is still able to receive many cruise ships with ease. Downtown is 100 per cent recovered and better in many ways - new stores, new gardens and new entertainment (but the same old smiles).

If your cruise ship is stopping in Cozumel, the times you see listed for arrival and departure will be in local time which is CST -- same as, say, Texas and one hour earlier than, say, Florida.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

Taxi and Alternative Transportation

by grandmaR Updated Apr 24, 2010

Taxi price list at International pier

If you fly into Cozumel you will find a taxi desk in the arrivals area. They will call you a comfortable, mini-van taxi that you can share with other groups (colectivo) or take privately.

Price Guide
    From............... To ..............Service ....................................Guide Price (USD)
    Cozumel Airport.....Downtown.....Colectivo (shared) taxi mini-van. ..$5 per person one-way.
    Cozumel Airport...Most hotels in north or south zone...Colectivo...$8 per person one-way.
    Cozumel Airport....Furthest hotels.....Colectivo ..... Up to $11 per person one-way.
    Cozumel Airport....Downtown............Private taxi mini-van.....$11 per person one-way.
    Cozumel Airport..Most hotels in north or south zone..Private taxi mini-van...$21 pp one-way.
    Cozumel Airport....Furthest hotels..... Private taxi mini-van....Up to $38 per person one-way.

Cozumel Airport....Most Cozumel destinations. Pre-booked round trip private transfer service. $32.50 per person round trip.

Cozumel Airport....Hotels furthest south....Pre-booked round trip private transfer service...$37.50 per person round trip.

There is a picture of the taxi rates at the International pier (photo 5)

In addition to taxis, to get around the island there are horse and carriage ride.

An alternative to get TO Cozumel is either a ferry or a cruise ship.

Instant Answers: Isla Cozumel

Comments

Isla Cozumel Transportation

Reviews and photos of Isla Cozumel transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Cozumel sightseeing.