Isla Cozumel Warnings and Dangers

Beautiful - but dangerous
    by TravellerMel
    Traffic wait on secondary street
    by BruceDunning
    Main street slow up
    by BruceDunning

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Isla Cozumel

• Fake Jewels in Cozumel!

by lacyselby Written Aug 29, 2013

Please be wary when traveling to Cozumel. While it's excellent for a diving/snorkeling adventure, I'd stay out of the jewelry shops. We traveled there last June and I let my guard down after a fun day in the ocean and bought what I was told was an emerald. I normally wouldn't have trusted in Mexico, but it seemed so respectable and I had heard this was a place to buy gems, BUT I got taken. I took the "emerald" to a jeweler at home and he told me it was synthetic. The store was called "Silver City." Another mistake we made was not using a credit card for protection, all cash - DUH on us. Never again.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Agressive Vendors

by cjg1 Written May 3, 2012

Several of the shops we entered were very nice with friendly salespeople who weren't pushy or aggressive. We also experience the agressive/pushy vendor on the streets and in the shops. Nothing turns my wife off more that people standing on the sidewalk trying to get customers into their shop.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Sunblock! Sunblock! Sunblock!

by cjg1 Updated May 3, 2012

Holy hell the sun was strong when we were in Cozumel as well as it being incredibly hot. Fortunately we had applied sunblock with an SPF of 110 and wore hats. Even with sunblock I was a little pink on the arms. Do yourself a favor and slather on as much sunblock as possible and stay out of the noonday sun.

• BOGUS JEWELERY

by treborremlap Written Feb 26, 2012

We almost got scammed out of several hundreds of dollars on the purchase of two rings.DO NOT BUY RINGS that are said to be emeralds from Columbia,with diamonds and gold.Be very careful as many vendors are selling fake stones claiming something they are not.Buy jewelry from legit stores.
    We bought two rings that were supposed to be gold and genuine stones.We walked down the street and found out we had just been taken.
    We immediately went back and demanded our transactions be reversed.They did reverse the charges,however they were still claiming that the $1500.00 ring that they sold for $350.00 was legit till the end.

• Cruise

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Sunday

by Dabs Updated Jan 23, 2012

Closed on Sunday

We made the same mistake 2 years in a row, traveling to Cozumel on a Sunday. Many of the restaurants are closed and many of the shops are closed or close early in the day. There are no cruise ships in port on Sundays, I'm not sure if that's because Cozumel is all but closed up on Sunday or if Cozumel is all but closed up on Sunday because there are no cruise ships. Mexico is a very Catholic country and Sunday is typically the day off when Mexicans can spend the day with their families.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

When shopping, warn your children

by joiwatani Written Oct 16, 2011

One store in Puerta Maya, Cozumel, Mexico have huge signs in them that if you break an item, you will pay for it.

There is a signage that says: "Beautiful to look at, lovely to hold. If you break it, consider it sold."

There is also a Spanish translation for it: "Bello para ver, agable para tocar,. Quien lo rompe, lo tiene que pagar."

So, I warned my daughters not to touch anything at the store. I will not mentione the name of the store for free marketing but you will find out when you get there. The store is located at the middle of the Puerta Maya terminal mall.

They have a donkey in front of the store.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

No outsiders here so your belongings are safe

by joiwatani Written Oct 15, 2011

The beaches at the Faro Ceralain Ecopark is exclusive only to paying customers. And, the mangroves on the side of the road is so thick that nobody can penetrate it easily. These are just like fences to the park.

Your belongings are safe here but still take necessary precautions by bringing your locked key and attach your backpacks to some posts, etc. Or have someone watching your stuff.

Don't bring your expensive and valuable belongings when you go to the beach. Leave them in your hotel on a safety deposit.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Always watch your children on the beach

by joiwatani Updated Oct 15, 2011

If you travel with children, make sure to watch them all the time. Always remember to go on the deepend by two's and remember to let your travel companion where you are going.

There are no lifeguards available on the beach.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Don't throw your cigarettes here

by joiwatani Written Oct 14, 2011

At the ecopark in Faro Ceralain in Cozumel, Mexico, there are signs that warn visitors and tourists to not throw their cigarettes along the way because this might cause fire and destroy the forest.

In Cozumel, the mangroves were planted close to the beach area to protect their wildlife like the turtles, iguanas, birds, etc. The mangroves act as green belt to the area. In fact, when you are driving to the eco-park, which is also a beach park, both sides of the street are thick mangroves that are like fence. There are also other plants there that sometimes during the summer season, they get dry.

Throwing cigarettes on the street will ignite unnecessary fire and will destroy the flora and fauna of Faro Celarain.

• Eco-Tourism

No food or drinks at the Faro Celarain Ecopark

by joiwatani Written Oct 13, 2011

Bringing food to the Faro Celarain Ecopark is not allowed. There are restaurants at the resorts inside the park like at the La Plaza Heromosa. Make sure to eat first before you head to the ecopark.

• Eco-Tourism

• Rental Car Gas Scam

by debwsher Written Oct 6, 2011

When you rent a jeep to tour the island you have to fill vehicle before returning it. The gas attendants will crowd around the front of the gas pump so that you can't see the amount. They must not clear off the last amount and we used $10 of gas, they said that they put in $60. It is only a very small island. They tell you which pump to drive up to. Make sure you look to see that the gas starts at 0. We had no choice but to pay up. Cheers

• maerina's Profile Photo

Cozumel.Taxi Scams Beware!

by maerina Written May 1, 2010

The price may double from agreed on price once you are in Taxi and on the road. Also make sure "agreed" on price is for round trip not one way.

Ex:Price for drive around island$35/person..once inside taxi $50?person additional for "tour" also,not asked for or agreed to.

Ex:Price to beach on other side of island$10. Price to return back to town and catch cruise ship $100

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Beware of Coral!

by TravellerMel Written Feb 25, 2010

Beautiful - but dangerous

When swimming at the beaches of Cozumel, beware of the coral beds! I was coming out of the water on this very beach. The water was to my knees, so I stood up to walk out of the sea. When I did, I stepped on a coral bed - my big toe punctured the coral and stuck, my body lurched forward, and long story made short - I fractured my big toe in TWO places!

I'm not sure what I could have done differently - even wearing Aquasox wouldn't have saved me this time. Just be aware that the coral is there, and use caution when coming out of the water.

• Cozumel confrontation

by plmcnulty Written Nov 11, 2009

To whom it may concern:

On Saturday, October 23, 2009, my wife Kathy and I disembarked the Royal Caribbean “Enchantment of the Seas” at the port of Cozumel, Mexico. We rented a Jeep from EZ Car Rentals and toured the island. I was extremely careful and stayed on the secondary access roads most of the time. At about 3 pm, as we approached the city of San Miguel on the Cross Island Road, we were pulled over by a “policeman on a scooter.” He said he had poor English but communicated that the speed limit changed at a speed bump and that we were going 50 kmph in a 40 kmph zone. He requested that we follow him to the police station to receive a ticket. Well, cars and scooters were zooming by us before he stopped us, signage is very poor, and all he produced as proof of being a police officer was a dirty polo shirt he was wearing with a police insignia. A valid concern we had was where could he lead us? This could’ve been a bandit. My wife finally explained that we needed to get to the cruise ship to catch the departure. He finally demanded $40 cash to be paid to him for a ticket. Of course we received no ticket or receipt, never saw a badge, radar, or gun. This incident ruined our day and left us with a very poor impression of Cozumel. The entire beautiful ocean cannot wash away the stain of taking advantage of tourists. This behavior will ruin Cozumel’s tourist industry in the long run. Is that worth $40?

Patrick McNulty
    plmcnulty@hotmail.com

• Cruise

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Parking Can BE Maddening

by BruceDunning Written Feb 26, 2009

Close up and No space

It appears that parking spaces are scarce, if not nonexistent. The main avenue was full and not spots, and secondary street in did not allow parking. Maybe some residential parking can be found some blocks back off the water beach area?

Instant Answers: Isla Cozumel

Comments

Isla Cozumel Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Isla Cozumel warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Cozumel sightseeing.