Isla Cozumel Warnings and Dangers

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Traffic can be your Nemesis

by BruceDunning Updated Feb 26, 2009

Traffic wait on secondary street

The vehicles did not seem totally jammed while we were her-but this is February. Our taxi driver took some diversions and back streets to avoid the backup of traffic jam on the Ave Rafael Melgar (main street), both coming and going. Without not knowing how, a person may get caught up in a long wait

• HayleyP's Profile Photo

Disappearing scooters

by HayleyP Written Jan 30, 2008

After 7pm you can not park anywhere near the beach front (not sure if it's just around San Miguel, Cozumel). We came back after dinner to find our scooter had been impounded by the police. To be honest I think they usually charge tourists whatever they like, as a local said we'd have to pay quite a bit to get it released but because by boyfriend had Mexican family they let us off.

• Motorcycle

• stoney13's Profile Photo

woah is it hot!

by stoney13 Written May 9, 2007

This is common sense, keep yourself hydrated. It was unbelievably hot down there! My mom ended up having to go lay down due to heat exhaustion. so, drink water, if you start to feel wierd, sit down or jump in the ocean for a cool off.

• stoney13's Profile Photo

Wear your seat belt!!!!

by stoney13 Written May 9, 2007

This didn't happen to me, but my brothers best friend who was with us.
    My bro and him rented jeeps to drive around the island, he ended up getting pulled over for not wearing a seat belt and the police were about to arrest him, he was going to have to stay on the island. this was horrible because we were with a ship, and he basically would have been stranded. but thankfully his wife knew enough spanish (and she cried) to get them out of it. So, WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!!!

• klasher's Profile Photo

Pervs in the square

by klasher Written Nov 30, 2006

I have never went to such a place where the men were so openly vulgar towards females. My sisters, my mother and I decided to do some shopping in the main square and were verbally assaulted left and right. We were not dressed in a way that would have invited these leering comments. We were even BARKED at by one man-YUCK!!!

• Women's Travel

• andy3k's Profile Photo

Traveling in San Miguel for the Mobility Impaired

by andy3k Written Mar 19, 2006

If you are mobility impaired i.e. wheelchair, crutches, trouble walking, etc. then this warning is for you. Many of the sidewalks and streets have potholes, loose stones, and curbs with no ramps. Construction also sometimes blocks paths so that you must cross a curb into the street to circumvent the construction. Some of the hotels don't have an office or rooms on the first floor; the shops on the first floor and the hotel starts on the second floor (so don't forget to ask about that if you are at a 1, 2, or 3 star hotel).

Taxis are expensive, renting a car is a gamble, and driving is dangerous so if you don't want to pay out the nose for getting from one place to another then you may consider staying at an all-inclusive hotel with most of the features you are looking for.

• Disabilities
    • Seniors

• CindyLou99's Profile Photo

Water

by CindyLou99 Written Oct 2, 2005

In any part of Mexico always be sure to drink bottled water. Also make sure you are the one to crack the seal on the bottle that way you are sure it is a fresh one. My friend was very ill while we were in Mexico and we think its because she received some tainted water in one of the restaurants.

• Alisonchilla's Profile Photo

Avoid downtown when the cruise crowd abounds

by Alisonchilla Written Aug 2, 2005

When all the cruise vacationers step off the boat (around lunch), the restauranteurs and shop owners go crazy trying to get the $$ to flow their direction.

The level of harrassment as you walk by to buy this or eat there goes up about 5 times when the cruise crowd is wandering about. I'm betting you'll get more bargaining power if you wait for the marked "suckers" to leave.

FYI - More cruises pass through in the winter.

• Be careful renting cars and scooters!! Scam!!!

by mexdf Written May 14, 2005

Myself and my girlfriend just went to Cancun and Cozumel.When you are in Cozumel and if you deside to rent a car.Please rent from a American Company,We rented a Scooter from a Mexican Company,and we returned it they & the protection police forced us to pay false damages of about 30 US and we were lucky,After fighting with the reps from the Mexican company and the Corrupt Police for two hours And being threated with handcuffs and a special tactical squad we payed the 30.00.My status as a retired American Policeman,and as a officer in the Mexican Red Cross ment nothing to these people,....after we left the Police Station,we found a honest Tourist Policeman who we had been asking for the whole time in the first place.He stated that (1) the Protection police were wrong and violated there own regulactions by not calling for a tourist police officer,and that this is a typical scam in Cozumel,especialy with day tripers from Cancun and off the cruise Ships.Why? because you dont have the time to argue.Some mexican car rentals have charged up to $500.00US in damages(false),SO IF YOU MUST RENT A CAR AT LEAST RENT FROM A AMERICAN COMPANY WHERE YOU WILL HAVE SOME RESCOURSE!
    Take Care,
    MEXDF

• Cycling
    • School Holidays

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Beware of the Undertow (!)

by travelgirl3 Written May 3, 2005

Pounding Surf, Cozumel, Mexico

This vista was at the southern tip of Cozumel, close to the Punta Celerain Lighthouse. I think the No Swimming signs warning of the undertow may be a little understated. Maybe the waves were only like this the day we visited, but I can't imagine anybody wanting to climb over the rocks to jump into the water for a swim! The pounding surf was an amazing sight to see. It was very windy, and the wet rocks extremely slippery, so yes, watch for the Undertow, amongst other things.

• Jannacle's Profile Photo

Don't get ice in your drinks!

by Jannacle Written Apr 21, 2005

As you may have heard the water in Mexico can cause those of us who aren't used to it to get a case of Montezuma's Revenge. This goes for the ice too. Be sure not get ice in your drinks if you aren't at a resort. Also don't eat fruit atside of the resort areas because they are washed in the water also.

• Jannacle's Profile Photo

Driving can be very dangerous

by Jannacle Written Apr 21, 2005

We rented a car to do our own shopping because all the shops at our port were over priced and didn't really sell anything that we couldn't get at home. The streets are a MESS and people drive crazy. Be really careful if you do rent your own car to get insurance because if you don't and there is an accident you have to settle up before you leave the country. We saw a large number of people behind the wheel who were chugging a drink too. Probably best to take a bus or walk.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Be Careful when Kayaking!

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 4, 2005

Fury Beach

One lesson that Sarah and I learned during this trip is that we are not compatible Kayakers. I am 6'2, which does not bode very well for a small dual person kayak. Needless to say I was uncomfortable the whole time, and I tipped us over!

All of this happened while we were on our catamaran sail and snorkel adventure :)

• Driving in Cozumel

by grkboiler Written Nov 29, 2004

Here are some rules of the road you should know:

1. Roads that run parallel to the sea are avenues and have the right of way. Roads that run perpendicular to the sea are called streets and you must stop at each block.

2. When riding a scooter wear a helmet at all times.

3. Watch your speed.

4. Be aware of one-way streets.

5. Topes are speed bumps. They are all over.

• Skigirl's Profile Photo

Local Blood Drive Sponsored by the Grande Mosquito

by Skigirl Updated Jul 31, 2004

Don't be afraid-they are your allies!

Cozumel is a small island with interesting archeological sites being some of the Mayan ruins. But beware because they are guarded by the most bloodsucking, vicious mosquitos I have ever encountered. Thankfully there is not a threat of Malaria but these mosquitos are obnoxious. Warning-Bring Mosquito repellent from HOME!!!! When we approached the ruins which cost $5.00 a person we were greated not only by the monster mosquitos but by a man stating he was a guide he showed us some xeroxed copies of ancient temples and mayan priests and proceeded to solicit a $75.00 fee for guiding us through the ruins and as a bonus he held up an old dirty plastic container with a milky substance stating that the mosquitos would not bite with the witch brew he had. This was quite a pitch unfortunately one of his cohorts had made a palm frond swatter that he continuously used to keep mosquitos off him. WARNING: Don't use anything from someone's dirty, cracked unlabeled container who know what vile ingredients could be in it! You will be able to explore with a good coating of repellent and use it not only on your skin but on your clothes my arms and legs were coated but when I turned around my party freaked when they saw a colony taking up space on my back attached to my shirt!

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Isla Cozumel

Comments

Isla Cozumel Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Isla Cozumel warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Cozumel sightseeing.