Majahual Things to Do

snorkeling photo
    by grandmaR
    Me snorkeling
    by DEBBBEDB
  • Me snorkeling showing hated yellow snorkeling vest
    Me snorkeling showing hated yellow...
    by DEBBBEDB

Most Recent Things to Do in Majahual

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by DEBBBEDB Updated Jul 6, 2013

From the glass bottomed boat

This was what my daughter wrote about the snorkeling.

Tuesday: Hi. today we did the glass bottom boat and snorkel in costa maya.

Hahaha to you Justin because the water was warm and my snorkel was fine so i had a great time. They had a hurricane a few years back so they had a lot of dead coral. but still they had a bunch of living stuff too. we saw some pretty fish some fire coral seaweed and a beautiful pink conch shell.

The guide told us that if fisherman caught any of them even the littlest ones they automatically were sentenced to five years in prison. We also saw a sand dollar. some people saw some squids but i did not. swimming with flippers was new to me but i got the hang of it pretty quickly i think. the guide was like "Follow me" so i started to swim after him. I turned around to look for grandma and almost everyone else was getting swept away by the current. i didn't know it was easy to get carried away. I just put my head down and swam on through it but nobody else did that technique. I didn't get any water in the snorkel so i didn't see anything wrong with it and it was pretty much successful so i was good.

i hated the yellow life vest with all my heart. it left painful red marks on my arms. other than that i was good. Exhausted with the adventure ...

• Diving and Snorkeling

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cruise Ship Excursions

by grandmaR Updated Jul 6, 2013
    Fake Mayan pyramid outside the port

Disney gave us the option to do several different excursions, including

Mini Jeep Adventure
    Active Adventures, Splashtacular
    Take in the scenery on an off-road adventure as you drive your mini jeep through the tropical setting of Costa Maya. Later, relax under the sun or plunge into beautiful ocean waters–do as much or as little as you’d like.

This one was out of the question for me as it was listed as ACTIVE

Jungle Beach Break

Enjoy a fabulous beach day at an exclusive, modern facility tastefully set on the Caribbean sea shore. Included in your tour are activities such as beach volleyball, soccer, kids' games, salsa lessons and beverages.

I'm not interested in the beach, soccer, salsa lessons or adult beverages.

Dolphin Swim
    Speed and adventure await only steps away from your ship. Swim with a dolphin and let it pull you through the water by its pectoral fins!

I am vehemently opposed to dolphin swims as I think they are cruel.

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

The fascinating Mayan culture is brought to life by visiting these breathtaking temples and structures set in stunning jungle scenery. Learn about Mayan lifestyle, traditions and rituals, plus their studies of the solar system and plants for medicines.

But I had been to Tikal and was not interested in a long hot day and my granddaughter wasn't that interested in Mayan Ruins. So we did a snorkeling trip - but this is really the only actual Mexican tour that is offered, so if I didn't want to lie on the beach, and had the energy for it, this is the tour I would do.

I've given contact information for people that do Mayan tours so that if you don't want to pay for the cruise ship excursions, you have an alternative.

• Beaches
    • Archeology

Hammock

by whitneyone Updated Nov 15, 2007

We just wanted a hammock. I didnt want to compare or bargain or haggle...some people are good about that, I'm horrible at it. But I really wanted one. so we looked, on the beach street for some hammocks from the vendors. One big enough for two.....ends up the big enough ones are nylon and I don't want nylon. So he nice, really nice man points to the cotton ones, which ARE a bit smaller...for 30 dolllars. I wanted a bigger one, so I wanted to look more. He came down to 25 and I told him 'muchas gracias, yo quiero algo mas grande" and then he made an easy sale to me for 20 dollars. We both COULD fit, but for one person, ummmmmmmm heaven!

Updated Ocrober 2007. most of the shops are still closed after Hurricane dean, but there is still a little shopping.

• whitneyone's Profile Photo

Drive the beach road as far as you can--for fun

by whitneyone Updated Nov 15, 2007

You're driving into Mahahual

Ask anyone and they'll tell you the beach road is is bad shape. Actually we found it much nicer than expected. You have to drive slow due to some potholes, narrow roads and bends in the road, but if you want to see some beauty, all you have to do is take a drive

Updated 2007. after hurricane dean the beach road is in great shape. a drive now can show you what is left of the damage and how quickly nature can recover.

• rortiz's Profile Photo

diving! Scuba or snorkel. dont miss the op..

by rortiz Written May 3, 2007

this photo was taken from the main road

Mahahual is a top destination in Quintana Roo Mexico. It lies 400m away paralel to the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef (The second biggest barrier reef in the planet) it is one of the most beautiful and better conserved reef ecosystems. Scuba diving here is great and u wont be able to visit every dive site. If u are not certified either learn to scuba or just snorkel but do not miss the opportunity of doing it. There are several dive operators that will take u on this sport trip.
    Enjoy it!
    Raf

• Diving and Snorkeling

Visit Xcalak

by whitneyone Updated Apr 8, 2007

XTC Dive Center-Xcalak

Although we found the town of Xcalak to look a bit deserted, when you hit the beach, the coast line is stunning and the people are friendly. This is an amazing place for beauty, scuba, access to the Chinchorro Reef by charter, and fantastic seclusion.
    XTC dive center in Xcalak has been doing what they do for years--what a beatiful place.

Going back

Walking alone...

On our way back, I spot a young girl, alone, her long raven hair floating, walking her feet in the water. I take a picture. Further away, a little barge, half-broken, is abandoned but in a frame of palm trees… We are also looking for seashells and corals. They will be our souvenirs. Back at Costa Maya, I am forcing myself to take a look at the shops but don’t buy anything. After taking a look at the beach (which is very small and didn‘t look inviting), we decided it was time to go back to the ship, just on time for the ice cream buffet.

Walk from Costa Maya to Majahual

Along the way...

At the door of the Costa Maya complex, we are greeted by someone dressed as a Mayan warrior. That is where I begin having serious suspicion. Once inside, it is confirmed: we are in the ultimate tourist trap. The whole thing is modeled on a resort with shops (and luring vendors), restaurants, bars, a swimming pool and a small artificial beach. It may be ok with tourists (and I am sure they will be satisfied by what they can find at Costa Maya) but not for us. I find it heartbreaking in fact and cannot wait to get out of there. So, we will walk to Majahual.
    The road to Majahual is a whole lot of nothing but it’s also quite exciting. You feel like being an explorer. A narrow path of yellow dirt (sand) is waving between the vegetation and the sea. It is deserted, although men are not far away (and there is a road not far away), almost halfway there, we come across a Mexican Navy base, it seems almost abandoned. The coast is lovely but I would not say unspoiled since you can find plastic bags or a plastic bottle. It’s a shame, but the clean places are lovely and have a rugged charm that is so hard to find in most popular port-of-calls.
    The locals are working very hard to keep the place clean so, be considerate and keep this piece of paradise beautiful.

Village of Majahual

A street in Majahual

After a nice 25 minutes walk, we arrive at Majahual (or Mahahual, spelling varies). Guys, it is not Cancun. It is a tiny fishermen village with one dirt main road, a couple of snack-bars-restaurant, the inevitable Beetle car… It is the real Mexico, poor but trying to get by. Some fellow cruisers sit on terraces and sip a Corona. Villagers are taking advantage of Costa Maya… even if it’s hard for most cruisers to walk all the way there. Vendors are selling jewelry and are not too pushy. They hopefully haven’t learnt the way of their big cities counterparts. I wish we could sit and have a drink, I’d rather spend my money here than in Costa Maya but Justin feels uncomfortable. He will admit he doesn’t feel at ease around poverty. I can’t blame him. It’s always a bit uneasy the first times. But I am glad we made the walk all the way there.

Instant Answers: Majahual

Comments

Majahual Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Majahual things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Majahual sightseeing.