Alux, Playa del Carmen

Know about this? Rate It!

• Alux
    by Kaje1908
    Nice
    by whitneyone
    Inside Alux
    by whitneyone
  • Alux: Amazing!!!!

by Kaje1908 Written Apr 15, 2014

As other post have mentioned it is truly a full, non-claustrophobic cave. From the street it doesn't look like much but as you enter there was a statue-like man dressed in full traditional costume. He startled my 13 year old but she just laughed it off. As you walk down the stairs you notice that it is muggy but not uncomfortable at all. We just chose to acknowledge it as part of the experience. Our waiter was very good and attentive. He took our food order and invited us to wander around. There was a private function in one of the areas so it was closed off but we got to see most of the restaurant. There was a live band " Noctiluca Libertando Music" on the stage right behind our table. It was great music and we even bought their CD. The music is piped throughout the cave as you walk around by little speakers somewhat hidden all over. There are lounge areas with couches for just having a drink or 2 person privately placed tables for the romantic types. We had a regular table since it was a family trip. I was surprised as well at the limited number of people having dinner.
    The food is definitely 5 Star. I had ravioli stuff with crab in a tomato and olive sauce(I really don't like olives either) but this dish was mouth watering amazing. My daughter had the "Mayan Sacrifice". She picked it mostly because of the name but it was a very good chicken dish with nothing left on her plate. We had desert as well and that was just as wonderful as the main course. My husband and I fought over the chocolate cheese cake we shared and debated on getting another one.
    After, when leaving, we stopped at the washroom. That was my first experience of a public Mexican washroom. It was kept clean and even had fresh, giant lily's on the sink counter in a vase. We had a good laugh since we didn't realize at the time that they don't seem to make restrooms a priority for upkeep. (The stalls were way shorter than I am used to, the seat was too small for the toilet, and the toilet paper is not supposed to be flushed down, but put in the waste bin instead.)
    All in all it was an experience and adventure of a lifetime that no one should miss out on. If we are ever in Playa del Carmen or near there again we would make an evening at Alux a priority.

Alux: Just outrageous!

by whitneyone Updated Jan 13, 2007

This is INSIDE a restaurant!

In the center of town, wast of 5th street, you have to ask someone how to get to Alux. which is across the 307

Alux (pronounced Ah-loosh) is a bar/restaurant/nightclub that is built inside of a Cenote (cave). Next door to it is something like an auto parts store or a laundry mat or somthing...but when you enter you go down a set of stone stairs and all of a sudden you are in a CAVE!! Not a small cave...a huge rambling underground cave filled with nooks and crannies and water and stalagmites They serve dinner, but we didn't eat there. We were treated to good drinks and a wonderful musical group which played a mix of music. Imagine Guatamalan music with the additon of a violin!! I think they were "the mission", but since it was all in spanish, i found it hard to keep up!
    There was also a belly dancer who got the audience into it!

Even if there had been NO entertainment it would have been worth the trip. Excuse the amount of skin in this photo...it's really all about Alux..there is an entire legend that goes with the name and the Alux, and they can tell you about it...even in English!

Dress Code: You can dress however you'd like, but I would say the word of the day is always Casual when in Mexico.

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Alux: Dine/Drink in a Cenote

by Blatherwick Updated Aug 26, 2005

Alux

Alux (pronounced Ah-loosh) is a bar/restaurant/nightclub that is built inside of a cenote. It's just cool to sit back and have a few drinks in a cave. This place is no small hole either. There are lots of passageways with water and stalagmites around. I had some dinner while I was there too. A belly dancer provided the entertainment for the night. There is also a dance floor in a large cavern where bands play on Friday and Saturday nights. The prices are pretty steep for Mexico but the dress is typically Mexican casual.

• twoinluv's Profile Photo

Alux: Exotic cave bar

by twoinluv Written Jan 6, 2005

Alux cave bar and restaurant

Alux is an underground cave that has been turned into a bar, restaurant, and hall for live performances. The cave is extensive and winds around with private little coves turned into sitting areas where you can have a drink. There is a dance floor in a large cavern where bands play on Friday and Saturday nights. There is another large cavern that houses a bar, restaurant, and cozy area where live music is played on other nights. The prices are American, not your typical cheap Mexican prices. But it is well worth it. The night we were there they were running fans, perhaps they have no air conditioning. I really don't know, however it was warm. So wear a tank top, sleeveless dress, or cotton shirt. It was a classy, exotic environment, and I highly recommend it.

Dress Code: Informal, but a little dressy. I wouldn't wear shorts or beach clothes as it is classy. However, it is Mexico and had a casual, relaxed atmosphere. I felt comfortable in a sun dress. My husband was wearing slacks with a cotton shirt. We both were wearing flip flops and we fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Alux: A restaurant in a Cenote Update for 2003

by whitneyone Updated Dec 7, 2003

Inside Alux

UPDATED DECEMBER 2003
    I just wish you could get an idea of what this place is like. A huge cave you enter from a regular old street. I have no idea why, everytime we have been it's been very quiet. It should be packed with people due to its amazement factor.

In additon to some live music, the food we had was good, I highly advice the Cream of Chaya Soup. I'm not a big fan of Chaya, but this was amazing. Good Ceaser salad, average cheesecake. We just went in for a drink, but ended up witha bit of good food.

Dress Code: Playa del Carmen is still VERY casual, but if you wanted to dress up here, you could, within reason. No suits or ties or cocktail dresses, but something above shorts would work nicely.

Alux: Like nothing else

by whitneyone Written Dec 7, 2003

Nice

although it's a cave, it's well ventilated and beautifully lit. Be sure to walk through the whole place to see all the nooks and crannies!

Instant Answers: Playa del Carmen

Comments

View all Playa del Carmen hotels