Alux, Playa del Carmen

Restroom
  • Alux
  • Alux: Amazing!!!!!

by Kaje1908 Written Apr 15, 2014

As other post have mentioned it is truly a full, non-claustrophobic cave. From the street it doesn't look like much but as you enter there was a statue-like man dressed in full traditional costume. He startled my 13 year old but she just laughed it off. As you walk down the stairs you notice that it is muggy but not uncomfortable at all. We just chose to acknowledge it as part of the experience. Our waiter was very good and attentive. He took our food order and invited us to wander around. There was a private function in one of the areas so it was closed off but we got to see most of the restaurant. There was a live band " Noctiluca Libertando Music" on the stage right behind our table. It was great music and we even bought their CD. The music is piped throughout the cave as you walk around by little speakers somewhat hidden all over. There are lounge areas with couches for just having a drink or 2 person privately placed tables for the romantic types. We had a regular table since it was a family trip. I was surprised as well at the limited number of people having dinner.
    The food is definitely 5 Star. I had ravioli stuff with crab in a tomato and olive sauce(I really don't like olives either) but this dish was mouth watering amazing. My daughter had the "Mayan Sacrifice". She picked it mostly because of the name but it was a very good chicken dish with nothing left on her plate. We had desert as well and that was just as wonderful as the main course. My husband and I fought over the chocolate cheese cake we shared and debated on getting another one.
    After, when leaving, we stopped at the washroom. That was my first experience of a public Mexican washroom. It was kept clean and even had fresh, giant lily's on the sink counter in a vase. We had a good laugh since we didn't realize at the time that they don't seem to make restrooms a priority for upkeep. (The stalls were way shorter than I am used to, the seat was too small for the toilet, and the toilet paper is not supposed to be flushed down, but put in the waste bin instead.)
    All in all it was an experience and adventure of a lifetime that no one should miss out on. If we are ever in Playa del Carmen or near there again we would make an evening at Alux a priority.

• Alux: Alux Restaurant…Terrible food!

by ClarkiLukens Written Mar 21, 2014

We ordered the Surf and Turf Platter for two. The filets were okay, but the other slab of meat was so fatty and full of gristle it was uneatable. The lobster tails and shrimp were both so overcooked they were like rubber! When we told the waiter he took them back to the kitchen returning 5 minutes later saying the cook said they were fine! So we were given the exact same rubbery lobster and shrimp all over again! We were appalled. No regard was given to us. Since nothing was being done to our satisfaction we simply left the restaurant hungry and went out for a pizza. Not exactly how we wanted to spend our 43rd anniversary. Plus we were tagged for $130 US for a meal we couldn't eat! We were not happy that the tip is added automatically, especially when we got no service. Never again will we return to this restaurant. This should have been a lovely evening for us, instead this restaurant made it an expensive nightmare!

• Alux Restaurant and Lounge: Great ambience, not so great service!

by mia_wallace83 Written Jan 8, 2012

I'm really disappointed with Alux Restaurant Bar Lounge, last night I went with my mom and my boyfriend and had a very bad time. We had a reservation for 21:15 and arrived on time, but nobody seemed to care as we were invited to pass into an empty room (the bar?) and we were left waiting there for more than 20 minutes. After a reasonable time I approached the cashier to ask if we would be accommodated at some point. Only then the guy that handled the bookings started to prepare the table, so the time we waited before was in vain. We sat at a table that left much to be desired (next to some speakers, my boyfriend was looking at the wall and there was a tray in my chair). They brought the menu and we began to choose what to eat. How long can it take to choose what you will eat? More than 25 minutes passed and nobody came to take the order! A shame really. After 45 minutes of been completely ignored by the staff we decided to get up and leave Alux since it was 22:00 and we had not eaten.
    When we were leaving, the guy in charge of reservations asked us if there was a problem, we said yes, it's been 45 minutes since we reached Alux Restaurant and we got no service. He poorly tried to apologize but it really didn't seem to matter since he did nothing to keep us in there and keep us as customers. Alux was full yesterday because it is high season now, but they shouldn't forget that it doesn't last all year. This is the second time I go to Alux since I live in Playa del Carmen and, while my mom is visiting, I wanted to show her the place. Last time, in mid-September, the service was not the best, at least not the one that corresponds to a fine restaurant, but it was not as disappointing as the poor treatment received yesterday. It is a pity they don't care for their local customers, finally, we are the ones that can go again and again and recommend or not the place.
    I hope that my claim comes to whom it may concern and that they care to improve the service.
    Sincerely, Lucía Rivero

Favorite Dish: Could't taste the food, we left after 45 minutes of no service at all!

• Wine Tasting

• susu77's Profile Photo

Alux: Here you got to go

by susu77 Written Dec 15, 2006

Restaurant is made in amazing natural cave. Its quite big and you can also find a very romantic corner with sofa if you want. Our waitress was nice.He took us around the place and showed us some fossils and interesting shapes in the rocks. Its difficult to describe the place, you need to see it for yourself.

Favorite Dish: Food was quite good but all four of us were sick the next day..Cant be sure if we got it from here but.. Atleast go there for a drink, you really need to see this place.

• Archeology

• monicathedove's Profile Photo

Alux: What a shock!

by monicathedove Written Jan 6, 2006

We were absolutely amazed by Alux. After the taxi dropped us off on the corner, we weren't sure we were even in the right place. But, the manager met us there and led us down the 20+ stairs to the most beautiful restaurant I've ever seen. They didn't open until 6:00, and we arrived at 5:00 not knowing. Instead of being turned away, we received a personal tour and incredible service. My husband and I both ordered the lobster thermador and were blown away by the taste. YUM! Because there is no A/C, it was a little warm, so dress lightly. To get to Alux, you have to take a taxi that runs about $3-$5 from 5th Ave. Had we not been so tired from a day at the beach, we would have loved to stay and party at the bar. Can't wait to go back!

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Alux: Alux: Dinner in a Cenote

by Kaspian Updated Sep 26, 2005

Alux (2005)

Alux (pronounced "a-loosh") is a restaurant and nightclub located in a cenote (a cave formed by underground rivers). The entrance is impressive; you descend a great rock staircase surrounded by tiki torches to the reception area. (It looks a lot like the "Tribal Council" area on Survivor.)
    Candelabras, coloured lights, and flowing water adorn places throughout the cave. The dining area is dark enough that despite all the lamps, the waiters use flashlights and may have to lend you one so that you can read the menu.
    The waiter we had was very quick--he seemed very concerned that we were being taken care of at all times. There's also live entertainment during the meal. We were treated to a fire juggler and a bellydancer.

Favorite Dish: Filete Mil Alux (fillet mignon in a roquefort wine sauce wrapped in serrano ham with parmesan cheese) served with vegetables and baked potato. Wash it down with red wine. This steak must have been an inch thick! The meal was fantastic and unbelievably filling.

• dietzdrummer's Profile Photo

Alux: Dine in a Ceynote (cave)

by dietzdrummer Written Oct 6, 2004

Main dining area- Alux

You walk down the steps, and the cavern opens up as you enter the lounge area. It is hard to imagine whats above as you tour the various rooms. There is a small waterfall in the main dining area which runs into a small pond. I cant begin to describe the setting. Deffinately a must see when in Playa. We did not dine the evening we were there because the wife and I had just finished a 2 1/2 pound lobster tail elsewhere. We did enjoy sitting in the lounge with an excellent "capi", my all time favorite drink when made correctly, and they did an excellent job.

Instant Answers: Playa del Carmen

Comments

Hotels Near Alux
4.5 out of 5 stars