Places to eat in Playa del Carmen

Tequila Shrimp w. Parmesan Rice
    Coconut Icecream

Most Viewed Restaurants in Playa del Carmen

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

La Crepacabana: Incredible Crepes!

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 25, 2014

This is a tiny little shack with no tables and a few stools. Its really nothing to look at and you may just walk on by. I was in the mood for a crepe strangely enough and heard about this places. I associated crepes with breakfast so I was there early are 8am. Not open.

Glad I went back around Noon time! The owner is French and relocated to PDC around 5 years ago and opened this little road side eatery. The Crepe was amazing. I went he on my last day. If I found this place earlier, I would have been here every day.

The crepe is made right in front of you. The owner is a master at his craft. I ordered the Nutella and Banana crepe. I am hard pressed to think of something that tasted so good.

It was so good a brought back my friend so she can have one. The owner was very nice and let her behind the griddle to help cook her crepe.

Incredible value at only 55 pesos!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Starbucks: The old style pastries are here!

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 25, 2014

I'm not much of a fan of coffee. But Starbucks had some very good pastries before that part of their business was substituted with La Boulange pastries in the States. I stopped going.

BUT, here is Playa Del Carmen, the Starbucks carries all the pastries from the former bakery. I was happily shocked to see my favorite, Chocolate Banana coffee cake and the old style chocolate chip cookies. Don't forget about that chocolate filled croissant!

They're all here! A must stop if you miss the old style at Starbucks.

Karma Bagel: Averge bagel at best

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 24, 2014

This place is conveniently located when walking around 5th Ave. Nice advertising and when I saw they have a bagel with Nutella and Banana, I just had to try it. Well, I wish I didn't. The bagel was thin hard and dry. Hardly any Nutella on the bagel but enough banana. Would not order this again. Maybe go back for a sandwich if they have other bread besides bagels.

Guilty Monkey: Cute sign.....Unbearable wait for food

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 24, 2014

This is a nice little place with courtyard seating at a very small hotel/hostel. The owner is from Sweden and a very friendly guy. I went for lunch. There was only one couple there as well, before I was seated.
    I placed my order, a hamburger with a special sauce that sounded very good in the description.

But then the wait and wait and more waiting. I couldn't understand what was going on with only 2 other customers. After about 30 minutes I got up to leave and mentioned the wait to the owner. He was very kind and apologetic saying it will be right out. Another 20 minutes went by until my burger came out. I was not happy but too hungry to care.

The burger was good but the special sauce was on the side and on the burger was ketchup, mustard and mayo. This was not mentioned on the menu so beware if you do not like these condiments to mention.

Not sure I would go again unless I had a lot of time to waste.

• Water Sports

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

100% Natural: Best smoothie ever!

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 24, 2014

This place is like an oasis on 5th Ave. A lot of tropical plants in front and around the interior. There is a nice little waterfall inside and well shaded. It is all outdoor seating. The table on the ground floor are covered by umbrellas and there is cover second floor.

I always found the food here to be average. Breakfast tends to be better but the lunch is nice as well. What I come for is the Chocolate and Banana smoothie.

Favorite Dish: The Goliath. A smoothie made with milk, chocolate, banana and granola. It is refreshing and delicious. I could have one everyday.

Ah Cacao: Nice coffee and dessert shop

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 23, 2014

This is a nice little coffee shop with a nice variety of chocolate and desserts. There is outdoor and indoor seating. They make a nice cappuccino with a little design of a cat on top. I had a piece of chocolate cake which was really just average. Conveniently located on 5th Ave. Not bad if you need a chocolate fix.

Hours:

Saturday 7:15 am – 11:30 pm
    Sunday 7:15 am – 11:30 pm

Asiana: Excellent Asian Fusion

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 23, 2014

Asiana is a great dinning experience. It has very modern decor and open floor plan. The wait staff are very professional and attentive. We were quickly seated even though we did not have reservations, which are recommended.

The menu has a very good selection of sushi and touches on several ethnic foods of China, Japan and Thai. To start we had the Spicy Pork salad and Spring rolls. Both were very good. For my main course I had the Noodles and Pork Au Curry. When the plate first came out I thought the portion was a bit small but the plate is deep and the portion was perfect so I didn't feel stuffed afterwards.

I would definitely eat here again on my next visit.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Como Como Osteria Mediterranea: Best meal I had in PDC!

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 19, 2014

This is a great dining experience. A little upscale but dress is still casual. Soft lighting sets the atmosphere. Plenty of seating. We made reservations and we were seated immediately. Our waiter was great explaining the menu and accommodating slight changes. Soon after placing our order, the waiter brought everyone out a small tuna salad on crostini. It was very good. This was not on the menu.

I ordered the lightly seared tuna filet in guayaba, chipotle chile, soy and ginger sauce, with shallots over mixed pan-fried vegetables. This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The tuna was perfectly cooked and the sauce was outstanding!

Some in my party had several of the pasta dishes. The pasta is made in house and everyone enjoyed it very much.

Highly recommend going here if you are in PDC.

Hours:

Friday 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
    Saturday 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
    Sunday 7:00 am – 11:00 pm

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Los Rancheros: Time for Mole!

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 16, 2014

This restaurant is located on the second floor of a building called "Ocean View". We were the only ones in the restaurant. Mexican decor with a large statue of Panco Villa right in the middle of the stair case. The wait staff was very attentive but this may have been because we were the only ones in the restaurant.

The food was very good. I love mole sauce on enchiladas so when I saw it on the menu I had to try. It had just the right amount of spice and came with some rice and beans. It did come with three enchiladas (I had chicken) but the rice and bean portion was small.

I recommend and would eat here again.

Pez Vela: Pretty good verde sauce

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 16, 2014

Pez Vela is convenient when shopping around 5th Avenue. It is an open air bar restaurant with two floors. The bar has swings for seats which looks like a lot of fun. Unless you one too many drinks and fall back off the swing. They also have a pool table.

I went for lunch and it was not that crowded. The wait staff are very attentive and we were seated immediately. Food was fast to come out as well.

I started with an order of Guacamole. Could have been a little spicier. For the main dish, I order chicken Enchiladas with the verde sauce. It comes with three enchiladas covered in cheese. It was very good and I would order it again.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Enchiladas with verde sauce

• Singles

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Mayan Bistro: Mayan Bistro Fresh Everything

by brkilbourne Updated Jun 12, 2013

Breakfast, lunch & Dinner: Varied menu including Mexican & American for breakfast & lunch with Italian added for dinner including pizza, calzones, pasta dishes including crepes, lasagna & others or order off the menu. Great shrimp, scallops, calamari, fish dishes Prepared classic Mexican, SW Mexican, Mayan. Burritos, Shish Kabobs and much more. The Bistro has seating inside, on the street & in the garden. The garden area is beautiful with lush tropical trees & bushes surround you.
    Really fresh salads
    You can not get a better mixed drink in Playa as far as I am concerned

Favorite Dish: The arrachera flank steak, best I have ever had. Coconut Margarita my favorite, Jorge even added some coconut sprinkles in it.

• PolyAna's Profile Photo

100% Natural: So yummy, fresh and healthy!

by PolyAna Written Feb 12, 2013

The seating is outdoor in a shaded courtyard overlooking the main street. The atmosphere is laid back and casual. It's a great spot for watching the crowds walk down avenida 5.

Favorite Dish: The food is amazing! We went there for breakfast, brunch and lunch and were impressed with all of the food we ordered. My absolute favorite dish was the fruit bowl with salt and sugar. So different and delicious. The selection of smoothies, juices and shakes is about 3 menu pages long and all of the different beverages we tried were made to perfection. I don't normally go back to a restaurant while traveling because I like to enjoy all that a town has to offer, but I went back to 100% natural 3 times!

LA LUPITA: RIU RESTAURANTS

by LoriPori Updated Dec 9, 2012

The venue for the daily lunch buffet was near the swimming pool at LA LUPITA.
    Lunch was usually a salad bar, including guacamole - my favorite - fruits section - including papaya, pineapple, cantaloupe, grapefruit, avocados.
    Hot dishes always included rice, some sort of potato, pizza, a pasta dish, meats including chicken drumsticks or wings, hamburger patties (really thin and tasteless), usually two kinds of soup, along with bread and bread rolls.
    You can sit inside or outside. We usually sat inside as most of the smokers sat outside which was quite annoying.
    La Lupita is a Steakhouse for dinner. You have to make reservations for this restaurant. We went once and really enjoyed it. It starts out with a Caesar Salad, or'deuves including chicken wings, breaded mushrooms and fried onion rings. The Soup or Sopa was a delicious cream of artichoke and tomato. Very different combination and very good. For our main we both had the 8 oz. Sirloin, which was huge. It came with 1/2 baked potato and grilled vegetables. Other mains choices included a 6 oz. rib eye, 1/2 roasted chicken, bbq ribs and seafood skewers.
    For dessert, they served cake with vanilla icing.

JALISCO: RIU RESTAURANTS

by LoriPori Written Dec 6, 2012

The venue for the RIU's buffet breakfast and buffet dinner, was the JALISCO. It was located near the lobby and was a beautiful looking restaurant.
    Actually breakfast was my favourite meal and I usually had a serving of scrambled eggs, 4or 5 strips of bacon, a croissant, guacamole and fruits including melon and papaya.
    The Dinner Buffet was pretty good. They offered the usual staples of rice, potatoes, meats including chicken, pork chops and fish cooked in various ways. There was always a carvery, serving roast beef, one night there was turkey and one night there were two huge baked fish which I think was grouper. Also there was the usual salad bar, soup, bread and rolls and a very nice dessert bar with cakes and fruits.

BAMBOO - ASIAN CUISINE: RIU RESTAURANTS

by LoriPori Updated Dec 5, 2012

One evening, we wanted to try the Asian Restaurant BAMBOO. We made reservations for 7:00 p.m.
    To our surprise, it was served Buffet Style. After the waiter served us drinks - wine and water - we went up to the Salad Bar. There was a nice selection of salads and sushis.
    Miso-shiro Soup was available to taste.
    Along with the fresh salad bar, there were different appetizers to sample -
    Spring Rolls with sweet'n'sour sauce
    Carvery -
    Peking-style Roast Glazed Duck
    Desserts -
    Selection of cakes
    Fried ice cream (upon request)

My favourite dishes were the spring rolls, sweet'n'sour pork and chicken skewer with teryaki sauce. I did not try the Peking duck as it didn't look too appetizing.

Playa del Carmen Hotels

Azul Fives by Karisma
Barcelo Maya Beach Resort All Inclusive
El Dorado Seaside Suites All Inclusive

Instant Answers: Playa del Carmen

Comments

Playa del Carmen Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Playa del Carmen locals.
Map of Playa del Carmen