Puerto Morelos Warnings and Dangers

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

hurricanes

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 8, 2006

80 days after wilma...

Hurricanes hit the Mayan Riveria quite a few times a year - so it's better to always make sure that the hotel where you want to stay is in good shape. Many, after hurricane Wilma, have reopened, although they are still partly damaged (for esample a missing wing, or roof).

Be also careful when you walk on the beach, as at times it's fullof debris and falling down buildings. In particular, be careful... if there's a hurricane in sight, just leave the area - as most buildings are not really as strong as they look.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Watch your step - don't become a croc's lunch

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 7, 2005

Crocodiles in Mexico

Crocodiles can be found thoughout the Yucatan peninsula, so be on guard out if you plan to go traipsing through the jungle. Of course, if you are a big shot estate owner and already own a swamp in some place, say like Florida, you'll feel right at home.

• Hiking and Walking

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Blast your way through the traffic stops

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 5, 2005

Puerto Morelos

I am glad I lived to tell this story...

Our flight was late into Cancun and one of our bags did not arrive. By the time we filled out our claim form and rented our car, it was almost midnight. Puerto Morelos is 20 minutes south of Cancun, so we got on the highway and headed south.

About 5 minutes out of Cancun, we saw a police car and about 4 men waving at us to stop. At first it looked like a traffic stop. But then I noticed that the men were armed with machine guns. I told my husband, "Get the hell out of here -- quickly." He did - and as we passed, the men yelled at us. Much to our relief, they did not jump in the car to chase us down.

Word of advice, don't stop for anything in the middle of the night. There is no telling what could have happened to us if we had stopped.

Don't drink the water

by karenincalifornia Written Apr 5, 2005

Pool at Caribbean Beach Villas, Puerto Morelos

If you travel to Mexico, you know there are some places where you actually can drink the water. Puerto Morelos isn't one of them.

Stock up on the bottled water and use that any time water goes in your mouth. I followed this precaution and I still wasn't 100% after a couple of days in Puerto Morelos. I think I got a little sick from the ice cubes in the margaritas. Wouldn't change a thing though - those margaritas in town were outstanding! Puerto Morelos makes their margaritas with the real fresh lime juice - none of that overly sweet margarita mix stuff.

Now, my husband, who has a cast iron stomach whenever we travel felt absolutely fine, and he had the margaritas, too. It's pretty much an individual thing, I guess. Nonetheless, don't take a chance by drinking the tap water.

• Archeology

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Warning

by kyoub Written Jul 29, 2004

Solitude

All this quiet, nice warm weather, and white beaches could be addictive.
    You may want to spend your winters here.

Instant Answers: Puerto Morelos

Comments

Puerto Morelos Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Puerto Morelos warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Morelos sightseeing.

View all Puerto Morelos hotels