Cabanas Copal, Tulum

me always ready for comida
    by whitneyone
  • whitneyone's Profile Photo

the snackbar (of all things!) at cabanas copal: the food is good, the views outstanding!

by whitneyone Written Feb 6, 2005

me always ready for comida

I'm sure an ocean view makes everything taste better. And the shrimp tacos and pina coladas at cabanas copal taste really good!
    the hamburger was ok, but I'd stick with the tacos....who goes to mexico for a hamburger anyway? don't know why i was craving them on this trip.
    the shrimp tacos use the same marinade at the seafood fiesta we had the night before, I'm sure if we would not have had that same sort of taste the night before we would have been REALLY thriled with them

Favorite Dish: shrimp tacos and pina coladas!

• Eco-Tourism

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Cabanas Copal: At the Cabanas Copal

by bdwoot Written Jan 29, 2006

Beautiful setting, in the jungle in the Cabanas Copal complex. Waiters in white shirts bring concerned service to you while new age Putamayo music wafts overhead. The drinks arrive, you look across at your lover, toasting your good fortune to have each other in such a lovely part of the planet.

A mosquito buzzes around your ear and you wish you had remembered to apply the DEET before you left your cabana. You move to another table away from the forest outside the unwalled restaurant. The couple next to you light up ciggies, particularly obnoxious as you have quit smoking and aren't quite over the pangs. The soup course arrives. Hers is pumpkin and mine is based on creamed corn, pleasantly spiced but not tremendous.

Then your dinner is brought to you. The potatoes are instant. My Gawd, the potatoes are Hungry Jacks! The chicken cutlet is swimming in this cloyingly sweet honey sauce and the vegetables are peppers and the like, all crunch gone. The whole experience makes me think of Swanson's TV dinners.

Favorite Dish: I had a martini. It wasn't bad.

• Spa and Resort