Tulum Warnings and Dangers

THIS IS THE PLACE !
    by bizatl
    Slow down, crabs crossing.
    by globetrotter_2006
  • This was the NIGHTLIFE highlight of our week...
    This was the NIGHTLIFE highlight of our...
    by CatInEurope

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Tulum

• WARNING TULUM BIKE RENTAL

by bizatl Written Nov 4, 2013
    THIS IS THE PLACE !

THIS IS A BIKE HOSTEL LOCATED NORTH OF TULUM , NEXT TO ADO
    I am sending a complaint about
    Tulum Bike Hostel
    Carre, Cancun-Tulum km 230 Cerca de la ruinas
    Tulum
    Phone 984.871.2190

I have been talking with Emanuel there since Oct21,2013. Surrendered my passport to above company to rent scooter.
    I rented a scooter there on 21 Oct 2013,
    Scooter Stole from in front Hotel La Flaca, Tulum, Approximately 22 October I filed a Stolen report on Scooter with Police.
    Manager of Scooter store demanded Money too return my passport, I had no choice but to have money wired down and I paid the Manager 1500.00 USD.
    Manager did state money would be refunded if scooter was returned..
    Tulum Police recovered scooter and returned to the location Above.
    I have contacted the scooter/bike rental agency for the past week, manager will no wire back money.
    This is a theft of money and manager challenged me to move forward with my complaint.

• Motorcycle
    • Cycling

• Safety in the Riviera Maya coast.

by locogringokay Updated Apr 4, 2011

Many people have contacted us recently about safety concerns. The national US media has cast a dark cloud over an entire country based on incidents and problems that are primarily along the Mexico-US border.
    The Rivera Maya is fine, there are no drug wars happening. We have staff on the coast with families; their kids go to school like normal, we are not living in fear, or flak jackets! Lots of people are on vacation as I type, enjoying the area. In a FOX News interview on March 11 it was even said that the "crimes are not against tourists". The problems are between cartels and government agencies that want to put a stop to them. Cancun and the Riviera Maya are safe. You can rest easy coming to the Riviera Maya. Read the recent travel alert from the US State Department on February 20. It does not mention the Rivera Maya.

• smithtravel's Profile Photo

Que Fresco at Zamas: watch what you're drinking

by smithtravel Written Mar 6, 2010

My girlfriend was dosed with drugs in her drink here in December 2009 - at 6pm! I DO NOT SAY THIS LIGHTLY. We went for a sunset drink and a snack after a day exploring the area; and left after two margaritas. No more than 15 minutes later while driving back to Playa, she started experiencing extreme intoxication, nausea, then a very very long night of hallucinating, fear and paranoia. I know the difference between drunk and tripping, and as good as the margaritas were, two won't even get you drunk. This was a very difficult, very painful long night. This ruined not only our last night, but the entire Christmas vacation, and after 11 years of coming to Playa and Tulum, it's destroyed the idea of ever coming back to the area, or possibly even Mexico. The Cancunization of the entire coast is rampant.

If you need any more evidence of problems in the area: Tulum, Dec 2009, "12th Journalist Gunned Down In Mexico This Year"

This was the email response from the owners after contacting them three times: "We take all customer communications seriously and have taken time to consider the matter you brought to our attention thoroughly. We discussed this matter with the appropriate authorities and our management team. All parties agreed that without any evidence, we can do nothing in response" Somehow I find it extremely unlikely they went to the Mexican Police and told them one of their waiters has been accused of drugging a customer.

• TandP77's Profile Photo

Short change

by TandP77 Written Dec 17, 2009

Unfortunately we have experienced a few attempts at short changing in Tulum.

The first time was at a money exchange booth next to the post office. We changed 100€ and got a few 200 peso bills plus a huge pile of 50 peso bills. It should have come to 1,800 pesos. We counted it ourselves to check, and it was 100 pesos short.
    The guy "realized" his mistake and gave us the missing 100 pesos.
    The second time was at the gas station quite close to the exchange booth. We filled up for 300 pesos and gave the man a 200 plus two 50 peso bills. He pointed at the meter (we had given him the correct amount) and before we noticed it, the 200 peso bill in his hand had magically changed into a 20 peso. I've seen this trick before, it's a conjurer's trick to switch the bills round really fast.
    I just said "bromas" and drove off.

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Beware of big spiders and mosquito's!!!!

by wilocrek Updated Apr 4, 2008

Keep in mind that Tulum is a jungle out there and chances are you may run into a bit of the wildlife. I'm personally scared to death of spiders and the one's I've seen in this area had me frozen with fear. Them sucker's are bigger than my hand and hairy too boot. To be honest I have only seen five of them in my three visits to the area but if your afraid of spiders its something to be aware of, specifically if your staying in one of the more rustic beach cabana's. I had one rather hair raising experience of sitting on the toilet in the open air shared bath facilities of my cabana and having the misfortune to look up at the thatched roof and was greeted with the sight of a massive tarantula playing peek a boo. The mosquito's are the real thing to watch out for. They are insatiable in their quest to suck you dry and leave you scratching at yourself like you were a leper. Bring lots of Deet Mosquito spray and lather yourself with it. Also bring anti-itch cream as no matter what precautions you take you will get bit here and there so be prepared!

• Tulum armed robbery

by ginamomdoc Written Feb 28, 2008

I was on vacation in Tulum with my husband and kids ages 3 & 9 Feb 2008. We have been to Tulum before and have felt very safe. The night before our departure 3 armed Mexican men climbed up to the 2nd story balcony of our rental house, robbed us at gunpoint, locked my 3 yr old daughter in the bathroom and tied up my husband and me while my 9 yr old slept through it all. Took all valuable, non-traceable items and the rental car. I speak fluent spanish, so things went as smoothly as possible.
    TIPS: lock your doors, scope out your place for unsecure areas. Report all crimes to the authorities and take the time to make a formal statement. The Consulate office (American is in Playa del Carmen) can send a local translator to facilitate communication, the Judicial Police contacted them for us, and while I did not need the translation services, they have been helpful as liasons.

• hethbill's Profile Photo

Salty tap water

by hethbill Written Nov 15, 2007

Many of the resorts around Tulum, mainly the more rustic ones and bungalows - have salty water coming out of the tap. Not that you'd drink it even if it was fresh, but just be ready for it. It feels quite strange, especially in the shower, and on long hair. I used extra conditioner to help.

• Tulum Eurostar Blue Hotel Robbery Ring

by rosetejas Written Nov 2, 2007

A wedding party staying at this hotel was robbed in 20 rooms of over $100,000 on Oct. 27, 07. Thieves were able to access all the safes in the rooms. Reports to the hotel management were met with hostility and threats. Local and Federal investigators were of no assistance. See the article in the Fort Bend Herald web site for November 1 for details. DO NOT GO To THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

• Luxury Travel

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Watch what you touch. We were...

by hayward68 Updated Sep 6, 2007

Don't touch the trees!

Watch what you touch. We were warned not to touch the trees at Coba as some of them are poisonous. Our guide explained what would happen and let me tell you it was not pleasant!

Some updated info from VT'er Zahirah:
    "The "poisonous" trees are called che chen, and the nasty rash can only be healed by a mush made of the bark of a chakah tree, which is always found near a che chen, a good thing!"

• Archeology

• icsgirl28's Profile Photo

Surrounding Area

by icsgirl28 Written Jul 15, 2006

This area of the Yucatan Peninsula was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Emily last year, and most hotels have recovered to some extent. You may want to make sure that the hotel you are staying in does not have ongoing construction. Also, much of the vegetation such as palm trees has been uprooted. They have been replanted, but are young trees and smaller. Beach erosion, always a problem in this area, was terrible, and most beaches have only just started to re-open in the past few months. You may have a pipe running the length of the beach. Also, if you plan on traveling to Cozumel for snorkeling and scuba, the reefs have been damaged too. From what I've heard from friends, the snorkeling won't recover for some years, although if you're going to scuba, you can go deeper and still see plant and marine life.

• Traveller's Checks - They didn't watch our Ads!

by julesk Written Apr 17, 2006

In your innocence you may decide to take a bunch of traveller's checks in the touching belief that restaurants and merchants will take them. Sure, about 50% of the time but no more than that. Go to the ATM near the St. Francis grocery store to get pesos instead. It costs $1.50 per visit but that way you avoid having too much cash on you at any given time. I wouldn't recommend trying to use your credit card, again, that works about 50% of the time or less. They really prefer pesos or u.s. dollars.

I wish we had gotten more pesos or cash, it would have spared me the comic but hair-raising experience of trying to cash a traveller's check by buying a small souvenir near our restaurant so we could pay our half of dinner (nice place but they don't take traveller's checks or credit cards). Picture a gringo lady with long blonde hair speaking extremely limited spanish to shopkeepers who are desparate to make up for a dissappointing day of sales . While you may not be such a soft target, trust me, you might still regret it. Not that I won't always treasure my authentic mexican calendar bracelet with turquoise.

p.s. Tulum is not inexpensive, you will need more pesos or us. dollars then you thought...

• Eco-Tourism

• Hotel Charges -- Ask cost of Breakfast and Water!

by julesk Written Apr 17, 2006

We stayed at two Cabanas in Tulum. I made both sets of reservations by email and did deposits. One worked out fine, that was Hotel Dos Ceibas. The other was more expensive than planned, that is Eco Hemingway. Both are very nice Cabanas, beautiful places with nice staff and lovely artistic touches. However, I thought i had nailed down the cost of the room, including taxes, and all other charges before making the arrangements. I think what went wrong with Eco Hemingway was that one of the staff there told me breakfast was included when we arrived. The bill was over a $100 USD more than I had been promised when we checked out. At the time, we needed to get to the airport so we paid rather than risk problems that would affect our flight. However, we sought explanations by email and were told it was the food and water. We only had breakfast and the water bottles provided in the room. The strange thing is that Hotel Dos Ceibas told us when we arrived that the breakfast cost and the price was clear, likewise the water so even though it was more than the original reservation, we had no resentment since we had the option of eating or getting water elsewhere.

To make a long story short, add this to your list of questions whether breakfast is included and if not, how much it costs. Whether drinking water is included and how much a bottle costs. Take a printout of the email with you in case you need it.

• CatInEurope's Profile Photo

Caution: Mayan Riviera is not for Spring Break!

by CatInEurope Written Mar 11, 2006

This was the NIGHTLIFE highlight of our week...

Although the beaches are wonderful and the resorts are top notch the Mayan Riviera caters mostly to couples, families and seniors. The single groups of the young men and women are few and far between.

FACT: There was a group of young. canadian men on our trip and my boyfriend and i felt very sorry for them. They were never with girls and they probably ended up playing pool with themselves for most of the vacation...

Tip: Stick to Cancun...much more party oriented!

• School Holidays
    • Singles

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Water, water everywhere!!

by bdwoot Written Jan 29, 2006

This is likely the safest place in Mexico to drink the water. That is because it is utterly unpalatable. It is so brackish that if anyone dared to serve it to you, you would spit it out comically. Everyone drinks bottled water all the time.

• cherylll's Profile Photo

El Dorado Seaside Suites... not a 5 Star resort

by cherylll Written Jan 25, 2006

WARNING...this resort is lacking of trustworthy managment! 1) We had money stolen from our 'locked' room safe (we had the key) so someone has access to safe locks (we set them up) 2) An extremly overwhelming stench of sewage the whole time we were there 3) Food poisoning from the Asian restaurante (other guests as well) 4) Clock in room not working and took 3 days for them to bring us a new one 5) Shower head broke... no one bothered to fix 6) We paid for oceanfront jaccuzi suite and ended up with garden view... a very big difference considering quality of suite and PRICE, with no compensation 6) managment avoid helping or finding solutions to problems

Instant Answers: Tulum

Comments

Tulum Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tulum warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tulum sightseeing.