Tulum Warnings and Dangers

THIS IS THE PLACE !
    by bizatl
    Slow down, crabs crossing.
    by globetrotter_2006
  • This was the NIGHTLIFE highlight of our week...
    This was the NIGHTLIFE highlight of our...
    by CatInEurope

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Tulum

• El Sol

by peach93 Updated Aug 11, 2004

I got this burn after a day using 45 SPF!

Contrary to what you may have heard about Mexico, I found Tulum to be a very safe and friendly place. The thing you have to watch out for here is the sun. I know I keep saying this, but I don't care how dark your skin is, use sunblock or you will end up in the emergency room packed in ice. And don't forget to do your feet. That's it.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Snakes and Iguanas

by micas_pt Updated Oct 29, 2003

This isn't exactly a Danger tip, it's more like a warning for those more "sensible" to some animals, such as snakes and iguanas.

I saw some snakes in the ruins and around them. They were very thin and didn't look dangerous, ... but i don't like snakes, so i kept my distance. :-)

And that place is full of iguanas. They are everywhere! Sometimes you don't even notice them since they have the same color as the ruin's stones, ... iguanas don't seem to be dangerous, they just look like they are quietly enjoying their place while loads of tourists get excited about them and shoot their cameras and try to feed them with flowers, ...

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Animals

by Maria_75 Written Nov 10, 2004

If you live in cabañas on the beach you have to look out for all kinds of animals. Like bats coming inside your place, crayfish in the toiletbag, termittes in your bag, crabs on the floor and of course the mosquitoes. Bring a mosquitonet so you can sleep without worrying too much about who you might wake up with the next morning... ;)

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Heat Exhaustion & Dehydration

by Kaspian Updated Sep 18, 2005

Tulum isn't exactly like Cancun or Playa Del Carmen where you find a little shop every few steps where you can sit down to rest in the shade and buy a drink. The heat can be excruciating in Tulum; especially on a windless day, and you can sometimes find yourself a good 30-minute walk from a source of fresh water. This includes being at the ruins. I recommend you carry a litre bottle of water with you at all times to stay hydrated. I also suggest you have a bag of chips with you to replenish the salt your body loses through sweat. I did some fairly serious nerve damage in Mexico once by losing too much salt at the ruins of Chichen Itza. I got nerve twitches in one eyelid, in my arm, and chest--and they lasted on-and-off for 4 years. Backpackers should be extremely cautious when deciding to walk even several kilometers during mid-day.
    Bonus Tip: At the far southern end of the ruins (to the right when facing the ocean) there is a tree grove and some small pavilions where you can rest in the shade.

• Archeology

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Beware of big spiders and mosquito's!!!!

by wilocrek Updated Apr 4, 2008

Keep in mind that Tulum is a jungle out there and chances are you may run into a bit of the wildlife. I'm personally scared to death of spiders and the one's I've seen in this area had me frozen with fear. Them sucker's are bigger than my hand and hairy too boot. To be honest I have only seen five of them in my three visits to the area but if your afraid of spiders its something to be aware of, specifically if your staying in one of the more rustic beach cabana's. I had one rather hair raising experience of sitting on the toilet in the open air shared bath facilities of my cabana and having the misfortune to look up at the thatched roof and was greeted with the sight of a massive tarantula playing peek a boo. The mosquito's are the real thing to watch out for. They are insatiable in their quest to suck you dry and leave you scratching at yourself like you were a leper. Bring lots of Deet Mosquito spray and lather yourself with it. Also bring anti-itch cream as no matter what precautions you take you will get bit here and there so be prepared!

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Water, water everywhere!!

by bdwoot Written Jan 29, 2006

This is likely the safest place in Mexico to drink the water. That is because it is utterly unpalatable. It is so brackish that if anyone dared to serve it to you, you would spit it out comically. Everyone drinks bottled water all the time.

• LucyRupert's Profile Photo

Time Share Hard Sell

by LucyRupert Written Oct 5, 2004

Lizard in Tulum

A waiter in a restaurant told us about this "afternoon" party at a new hotel. It was a way to introduce us to the hotel. His friend worked at the hotel. Even though they don't call it a "time share" we knew that was probably what it would be. We enjoyed all we could drink and eat and full use of the beach with waiters for a day. It was enjoyable - but it was a lot harder sell than I thought it would be.

Something about dropping $40,000 while on vacation for a timeshare just doesn't sit well with me!

• Beaches

• Curlygirl's Profile Photo

Watch your Step!

by Curlygirl Written Dec 22, 2005

Aggressive Little Critters

When you're wearing sandals while you tool around the ruins in the Yucatan, use a little caution where you put your feet. While I was carefully framing a gorgeous shot of a sunning Iguana I felt a burning sensation on my right foot and it was crawling with fire ants! After that I saw them all over the place and was MUCH more careful. The pain fades pretty quickly and they didn't leave any marks, but it sure hurt while they were biting me!

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

• Traveller's Checks - They didn't watch our Ads!

by julesk Written Apr 17, 2006

In your innocence you may decide to take a bunch of traveller's checks in the touching belief that restaurants and merchants will take them. Sure, about 50% of the time but no more than that. Go to the ATM near the St. Francis grocery store to get pesos instead. It costs $1.50 per visit but that way you avoid having too much cash on you at any given time. I wouldn't recommend trying to use your credit card, again, that works about 50% of the time or less. They really prefer pesos or u.s. dollars.

I wish we had gotten more pesos or cash, it would have spared me the comic but hair-raising experience of trying to cash a traveller's check by buying a small souvenir near our restaurant so we could pay our half of dinner (nice place but they don't take traveller's checks or credit cards). Picture a gringo lady with long blonde hair speaking extremely limited spanish to shopkeepers who are desparate to make up for a dissappointing day of sales . While you may not be such a soft target, trust me, you might still regret it. Not that I won't always treasure my authentic mexican calendar bracelet with turquoise.

p.s. Tulum is not inexpensive, you will need more pesos or us. dollars then you thought...

• Eco-Tourism

• Tulum armed robbery

by ginamomdoc Written Feb 28, 2008

I was on vacation in Tulum with my husband and kids ages 3 & 9 Feb 2008. We have been to Tulum before and have felt very safe. The night before our departure 3 armed Mexican men climbed up to the 2nd story balcony of our rental house, robbed us at gunpoint, locked my 3 yr old daughter in the bathroom and tied up my husband and me while my 9 yr old slept through it all. Took all valuable, non-traceable items and the rental car. I speak fluent spanish, so things went as smoothly as possible.
    TIPS: lock your doors, scope out your place for unsecure areas. Report all crimes to the authorities and take the time to make a formal statement. The Consulate office (American is in Playa del Carmen) can send a local translator to facilitate communication, the Judicial Police contacted them for us, and while I did not need the translation services, they have been helpful as liasons.

• cherylll's Profile Photo

El Dorado Seaside Suites... not a 5 Star resort

by cherylll Written Jan 25, 2006

WARNING...this resort is lacking of trustworthy managment! 1) We had money stolen from our 'locked' room safe (we had the key) so someone has access to safe locks (we set them up) 2) An extremly overwhelming stench of sewage the whole time we were there 3) Food poisoning from the Asian restaurante (other guests as well) 4) Clock in room not working and took 3 days for them to bring us a new one 5) Shower head broke... no one bothered to fix 6) We paid for oceanfront jaccuzi suite and ended up with garden view... a very big difference considering quality of suite and PRICE, with no compensation 6) managment avoid helping or finding solutions to problems

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

watch out... iguanas

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 7, 2006

a shy iguana

Watch out for iguanas... not because they are dangerous.. but because you could a dangerous for them... Tulum iguanas are quite small, and if you are not careful you might walk over one of them.

Also beware of fenced areas... most are there not only to protect monuments but also the little creatures.

• Architecture
    • Archeology

• TandP77's Profile Photo

Short change

by TandP77 Written Dec 17, 2009

Unfortunately we have experienced a few attempts at short changing in Tulum.

The first time was at a money exchange booth next to the post office. We changed 100€ and got a few 200 peso bills plus a huge pile of 50 peso bills. It should have come to 1,800 pesos. We counted it ourselves to check, and it was 100 pesos short.
    The guy "realized" his mistake and gave us the missing 100 pesos.
    The second time was at the gas station quite close to the exchange booth. We filled up for 300 pesos and gave the man a 200 plus two 50 peso bills. He pointed at the meter (we had given him the correct amount) and before we noticed it, the 200 peso bill in his hand had magically changed into a 20 peso. I've seen this trick before, it's a conjurer's trick to switch the bills round really fast.
    I just said "bromas" and drove off.

• smithtravel's Profile Photo

Que Fresco at Zamas: watch what you're drinking

by smithtravel Written Mar 6, 2010

My girlfriend was dosed with drugs in her drink here in December 2009 - at 6pm! I DO NOT SAY THIS LIGHTLY. We went for a sunset drink and a snack after a day exploring the area; and left after two margaritas. No more than 15 minutes later while driving back to Playa, she started experiencing extreme intoxication, nausea, then a very very long night of hallucinating, fear and paranoia. I know the difference between drunk and tripping, and as good as the margaritas were, two won't even get you drunk. This was a very difficult, very painful long night. This ruined not only our last night, but the entire Christmas vacation, and after 11 years of coming to Playa and Tulum, it's destroyed the idea of ever coming back to the area, or possibly even Mexico. The Cancunization of the entire coast is rampant.

If you need any more evidence of problems in the area: Tulum, Dec 2009, "12th Journalist Gunned Down In Mexico This Year"

This was the email response from the owners after contacting them three times: "We take all customer communications seriously and have taken time to consider the matter you brought to our attention thoroughly. We discussed this matter with the appropriate authorities and our management team. All parties agreed that without any evidence, we can do nothing in response" Somehow I find it extremely unlikely they went to the Mexican Police and told them one of their waiters has been accused of drugging a customer.

• Tulum Eurostar Blue Hotel Robbery Ring

by rosetejas Written Nov 2, 2007

A wedding party staying at this hotel was robbed in 20 rooms of over $100,000 on Oct. 27, 07. Thieves were able to access all the safes in the rooms. Reports to the hotel management were met with hostility and threats. Local and Federal investigators were of no assistance. See the article in the Fort Bend Herald web site for November 1 for details. DO NOT GO To THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

• Luxury Travel
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Tulum

Comments

Tulum Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tulum warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tulum sightseeing.