Puerto Peñasco Things to Do

Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico.
    by razorbacker
    One of the party boats on the harbor
    by HispanicYob
    view of ride area
    by gcb123

Most Recent Things to Do in Puerto Peñasco

• razorbacker's Profile Photo

General Relaxation in Rocky Point.

by razorbacker Updated Apr 23, 2013

Beach in front of CET-MAR Aquarium.

Wonderful varied things to do. Stroll along the streets and beaches, haggle with the street vendors, take a twilight cruise (cheap and fun), snorkle with the sea lions at Bird Island (more expensive, but fun - $75/person/half-day). Rent a quad-runner ($100 +/day). Combine clamming at Cholla Bay with a natural history lesson (Cheap and fun and keep your clams). Swim, boogie board. Fish. Ride horses (Didn't price those.) Get your hair done on the beach cheap. Nice jewelry deals with persistent, but good-natured vendors on the beach. Take an ultra-light flight along the surf. ($50/30 minutes. Wonderfully worth it according to La Bella Brenda!) Great food, nice people, great ambiance. Buen Viaje!!!

Four-Wheeling Family Fun

by razorbacker Updated Aug 8, 2011
    Fun time!

Numerous vendors en route to the beach rent 4-wheelers. In our experience each one rents for $20/hour. Or you can rent one all day for $100, I believe.
    One caveat: We rented from the last vendor on the road to Cholla Bay, and he tried to rip us off.
    We rented 4, and had them back in under an hour. That meant we owed $80. I had given them a $100 bill. When I asked for our $20 change, the local flunky tried to stonewall me. Had to wait on the boss, and HE tried to steamroller us...acted stupid first, then said the $20/hour was for the WHITE ATVs, but we wanted the RED, which were $25. I had to demand he call the police a number of times ("Llamada la policia horita!") before he finally relented and grudgingly gave us our change. I told him, "Next time, just be honest!"
    Anyhow, you may want to avoid that particular vendor.
    OR you may just want to be sure and NOT OVERPAY from the start! My bad!

• Cycling

I'll Fly Away!

by razorbacker Updated Aug 8, 2011
    Jen preparing for flight.

Take an ultralight flight just north of Puerto Penasco. About a 20-minute flight for $40, well worth the price in our view. Flight paths vary: some go further south and buzz the Sandy Beach area, others are more north. Zach and Jen flew the southern route, mine was more the north option, over the coast, above Cholla Bay and the lava mountain where we were 4-wheeling a short time later.
    We made our flights on May 21, 2011, the day the world was supposed to end, but it didn't, thank goodness, and we think we got our money's worth!

Changes on the Malecon Plaza

by razorbacker Written Apr 4, 2009

New sculptures above the plaza.

There have been a lot of changes to the Malecon waterfront promenade and the plaza over the past year or so. It's even more enjoyable and romantic than before. We just LOVE Puerto Penasco. If we were rich we'd have a home there. If you've never been, give it a whirl. If it's been awhile, WHAT are ya waiting for???!!! Buen viaje, amigos!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Shop and Eat at the Harbor Town of Rocky Pt, MX

by jumpingnorman Written Jan 31, 2009

Waterfront of Puerto Penasco Harbor, Mexico

Just a short drive from our hotel resort in Rocky Point is the little waterfront town (Puerto Penasco). The tourism industry here has really blossomed ever since the great hotels and condominiums started sprouting up.

Souvenirs and little things you can take home are available everywhere and for a very affordable price. There is seafood to be had everywhere, and we even tried a restaurant that was constructed over the waterfront. You’d be surprised to find fine dining here in Puerto Penasco!

There is adequate parking space and just follow the flow of cars and you will find the area where people park (for a fee) near the waterfront.

On one Sunday we were there, we even had mass at a small church (given in Spanish of course). It was at the Sagrado Corazon de Jesus - (Sacred Heart of Jesus) - Catholic Church services at noon Sunday - located at 65 Estrella Ave 3-29-59. There are also Non-Denominational Services - 9am Sunday at Playa Elegante R.V. Park's Recreation Room 91Matamoros Ave.

The Party Boats

by HispanicYob Written Oct 13, 2007

One of the party boats on the harbor

I couldn't think of a better name for them. I'm sure there's one but I can't remember it right now. There's plenty of these around Rocky Point's harbor. You'll find them at night too, with their neon lights flickering and the music blaring out. These are the party boats. From anywhere from 20-40 bucks they take you out for 3 hours or sometimes more. From the flyers that we saw, it included free alcohol and food. Even one of the ones I saw had strippers on it! We didn't get a chance to go on them but I thought I'd pass this one to you all.

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Banana boats! Fun for all!

by HispanicYob Written Oct 13, 2007

Just one of the many types of banana boats

If you like getting wet and thrashed about on a inflatable raft going at fast speeds then this is for you. The people in charge of driving them usually charge anywhere from 10 to 20 USD depending on how many minutes you choose or how many minutes they say when they quote you on a price. They take you out in the ocean, not too far from shore. You hold onto the handles on the raft and at first, they start out slow, then they go fast and you hit those waves pretty hard. Go for it and try it out! I almost fell off but my other friends fell off completely. Hang on for dear life!

• Water Sports
    • Singles

The beach!

by HispanicYob Written Oct 5, 2007
    The view of the beach from my hotel room balcony

The most important part of any Mexican beach town (or any beach or resort town)! The beach! The beach in this place is very spread out and pretty big. There's vendors of course, in shaded canopies offering their wares. Lots of cool knick-knacks to take home to loved ones. But you didn't come here to spend all your time looking at knick-knacks no?!?!?! (I hope you didn't) A word of caution, try to wear your flip-flops or water shoes with you, as here and there, to my discovery, there's broken glass in some places! Watch where you step. When the tide's out, there's lot of little hermit crabs everywhere. Pretty cool!

• Water Sports

Twilight Cruises.

by razorbacker Updated Oct 1, 2007

What do you do with a drunken sailor?

Romantic, affordable, and highly enjoyable. Several tour offices offer these. My wife and I went out for a couple of hours for $25 each. 2 margaritas were included in the package. We had some happy sailors by the time we returned to port. I believe some had a good headstart beforehand!!!

• Cruise

CET-MAR Aquarium

by razorbacker Written Sep 24, 2007

Rex, Russ, Shirley, whale ribs by CET-MAR.

A wonderfully fun little local aquarium. We love to go there everytime we're in Puerto Penasco. A project of the connected vo-tech school and staffed by the students. Great variety of local marine life from sea turtles to manta rays, kissing fish to moray eel, octopi to sea lions. Entry $3 adults, $1 kids. Bags of sea lion or sea turtle food for $1. Two little hands-on tidal pools. Not much English spoken, but a fun place to practice your Espanol! VERY highly recommended!!! A true local treasure. Hours: M-F 10:00 - 14:30. Sat-Sun 10:00 - 18:00.

• razorbacker's Profile Photo

Strolling on the Malecon (Old Port)

by razorbacker Updated Sep 24, 2007

Camarone statue on Malecon promenade.

The Malecon is a wonderful place for a leisurely stroll, people watching, gulls, pelicans, all kinds of shops, restaurants, street vendors along the (one way) waterfront street. Beautiful vistas of the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California).

• gcb123's Profile Photo

Bird Watching

by gcb123 Written Aug 7, 2007
    low tide view - during high tide area covered

There is a large tidal surge in this area. Due to this there are large tidal flats loaded with wading birds. Given I live in Indiana, there are many species I rarely encounter. Willets, Long Billed Curlews, short and long billed dowitchers and Black necked stilts are just some you typically encounter on a short hour long trip. I lack a good camera so I can't upload pictures but I have visited with others who made the trip just to do so.

There are also a number of different hummingbirds in the landscaped areas of the resorts as they have lots of flowering plants. I had the birding trifecta in 30 minutes one morning with a black throated sparrow, a say's phoebe and an ash throated flycatcher. All were new to my life list.

• Desert
    • Birdwatching

• gcb123's Profile Photo

Ride ATVs in the desert

by gcb123 Written Aug 7, 2007
    view of ride area

Rocky Point has one fun activity you will probably never do in the USA - ATV riding in the desert. There are rentals all over the Sandy Beach area. The farther you go from the condo area the lower the price. In the new tourist shopping area (my mother calls it Shack's fifth ave)we rented them for $20 an hour. As its Mexico, there is no BS to deal with. Just leave them a drivers license, sign a short release form and go. There are acres of scrub land to ride in and a sand mountain to climb. The view from the top is beautiful. Just be careful to watch out where you are going as there is zero control of the riding area. My 15 year old daughter and her friend loved it as did my 40+ year old wife.

• Desert
    • Motorcycle

• mark0shark's Profile Photo

Great way to end the day, or get the Party Started

by mark0shark Updated Jul 24, 2006

There's a beautiful sunset waiting for you...

If you are looking for a reasonably priced activity that is suitable for all ages from kids to adults, be sure to go out on a Sunset or Dinner Cruise, aboard the REY DEL MAR (Pirate Ship) or the 124' INTREPID Yacht. There is a spectacular sunset just waiting for you to enjoy.

And considering that Puerto Penasco only averages about an inch or two of rain per year, with temperatures that rarely drop below 60°, even in the winter months, it's a safe bet you'll be able to enjoy a sunset cruise year round. You can find more info on cruises and boat charters at Rocky Point Boat Trips

• Sailing and Boating

• Sunset Cocktails

by mrandmrsdevlin Written Aug 18, 2005

This was a picture taken of my friend Nicole and I our freshman year in college. We were hanging out on the patio at our hotel enjoying a cocktail and watching the sunset. It's a nice way to wind down from a busy day, and to relax before a busy night...

Instant Answers: Puerto Peñasco

Comments

Puerto Peñasco Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Puerto Peñasco things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Peñasco sightseeing.

View all Puerto Peñasco hotels