Veracruz Restaurants

by alza
    Ay mamita! tamales! que rico!

Most Recent Restaurants in Veracruz

• dahipster1's Profile Photo

El Porton: Excellent restaurant right by the Zocalo!

by dahipster1 Written Jan 30, 2010

The food here is pretty good, but what I liked the most was the service! Service was best I had ever had in my life! very attentive, they bring corn chips and tortillas while you wait for food and make sure your satisfied! Its a little more than some places in Mexico, but I think it was well worth it!

• alza's Profile Photo

Nicte-haa, antojitos yucatecos: Yucatan cooking

by alza Updated Sep 20, 2006

Nicte-haa

A Comida Corrida (economic menu) in the Centro, where I ate very well today. In any place offering Comida Corrida, expect to pay 30-35 Pesos for a soup, a main course, fresh warm tortillas, a small dessert and as much fruit licuado (water and juice, often of tamarindo fruit) as you want.

I liked the outside appearance of this restaurant, which I saw as I was walking by. It's under arcades, the doors to inside are wide open and the it's clean inside and out. The sign is modern and new, unlike some signs here that you can't read for the faded paint.

The two young men who served appear to be the partners and they do a good job of welcoming you and explaining what's on the menu that day. Very affable too. One of them told me they were going to have their site advertised on the Internet, and that they were planning to cater to the increasing number of tourists visiting Veracruz. So I said that I would certainly also include them on my Veracruz page. Gave them Virtual Tourist address, hope they can find it!

Favorite Dish: This place specialises in Yucatan cooking, which seems to be popular here these days. When I was there today, they were out of the Yucatan corn soup advertised on the board outside. I had a delicious chicken broth with rice and chunky vegetables, then a Yucatan dish that I didn't get the name of... two soft tortillas stuffed with green beans, topped with goat cheese and lightly grilled to melt the flavours together, with rice. Very yummy! The main dish always comes with a salad, mine today was a big carrot, jicama and beet salad. Dessert was rice pudding. You'll get as many refills as you want of the usual licuado (fruit liquid with spring water), which really quenches my thirst better than beer in the heat here.

This was a light meal but very filling. And at an excellent price (about Cdn $3.50.)

By the way, "antojitos" means appetizers. But the restaurant serves a full menu during the day. Lunch in Veracruz is between 2 and 4 p.m.

• alza's Profile Photo

Mary's Comida Corrida: My daily bread

by alza Updated Sep 20, 2006

Ay mamita! tamales! que rico!

Mary's Cocina is a good eatery manned by women, or womenned by women, in the heart of Centro Veracruz. PorteƱos go there daily for a lunch that's just like at home. The menu is fixed and includes a soup, an appetizer, the main dish and a small dessert. Licuado de melon or other fruit is served, apparently compliments of the house. I always drink 3 or 4 and never get charged more than the first day, when I only drank one.
    According to my poor calculations, the whole meal cost about $1.75.

Favorite Dish: The soup! I liked it a lot when I lived in Veracruz and now, I miss it every day! This may seem incredible but I haven't found a single soup in restaurants since arriving in Argentina.

Mary's prepares a new soup every day, they are all very hearty. You're sure to feel good after a meal at Mamita Mary! you will return!

• Dawson's Bar & Rockhouse: Best American grill & rock n' roll music in town!

by jana710 Updated Sep 19, 2006

Dawson's Bar & Rock House at Blvd. Avila Camacho #2805 is a great casual restaurant & bar resembling an old western (U.S.) saloon, swinging saloon doors & all! The atmosphere is fun and the food & music are great. The entrance walkway from the street has open air restaurant seating on one side, and enclosed & airconditioned seating on the other serving All-American top quality steaks, hot wings, burgers, salads, Philly steak sandwiches, garlic fries, etc.

Walk through those swinging saloon doors at night & look out! The bar is just jumping with fabulous live rock n' roll music, great mixed drinks, and of course, great beer. Usually featuring at least 2 live bands a night, this is one lively spot. The large stage which has a catwalk into the audience gives the entertainers a prime spot to perform & strut their stuff.

The kitchen is open air, located between the restaurant & saloon so you can watch the pros as they create incredibly delicious made-to-order fare. If you weren't hungry walking in, you sure will be once you catch the smell of steaks on the grill and garlic!

There are usually daily & nightly specials such as 2 for one drinks or 2 for one hamburgers during certain hours. Dawson's is more than a bar, more than a restaurant, it's an EXPERIENCE and absolutely a "don't miss" place.

Favorite Dish: Ribeye steak with twice-baked potatoes, though the Philly steak sandwich with garlic fries is a close second. Or would it be the Blimpy burger??? The steak was huge, done to perfection. The same could be said for the burgers & steak sandwich. The twice-baked potato was also huge, and was laced with cheddar cheese and bacon. Yum! There's nothing skimpy about anything I saw come out of the kitchen.

• Singles
    • Beaches
    • Music

• ahoerner's Profile Photo

Lecheria (???): Snacks and Veracruz coffee in the early evening

by ahoerner Updated May 24, 2005

Pouring coffee from the heights.

Unfortunately I still do not remember the name of this huge place where coffee and milk where served in tall glasses. Coffe and milk were poured into the glass from above, making it an interesting scene: if everything works fine and your waiter is in a good mood, you get no coffee & milk "bath"...

By the way, it doesn't happened anything to me (hehehe)...

Favorite Dish: Coffe & Milk poured from the "heights".

• Business Travel

• Not about a specific restaurant but all the cafe's: Dining in the Zocalo

by canplat Updated Mar 12, 2005

When we went to the Zocalo in Veracruz after dark on a Saturday night, it looked like the perfect fiesta atmosphere. There was a band playing in the center of the square, hanging lights, and sidewalks lined with outdoor cafe's. So we sat down to order our meal and relax and enjoy the atmosphere. It was then that we were DESCENDED ON BY ABOUT 25 sellers and beggars in less than five minutes! My problem is that I'm a "soft touch" and despite the advice of my dinner companion, I gave a woman with a child some money. Well, that necessitated about 20 more "I'm sorry" comments to the people who recognized my mark of "easy" that must have imprinted itself on my forehead immediately thereafter.

The thing is that this otherwise would have been such a perfect evening, if it were not for the interruption of constant selling and begging. I've never encountered anything like it anywhere else in Mexico, and I lived in Merida for a year. I hope that the business owners will realize how this is hurting business ( I wouldn't go back a second time) and have the vendors stay back from people who are trying to enjoy their meal.

• jcamber's Profile Photo

Tomy's Restaurant: Best place for Gorditas y Picadas?

by jcamber Written Jan 7, 2004

As you may (or may not) know, the gorditas and picadas are very traditional in Veracruz. Although this is not the only State where you'll find them, Veracruz definitely offers a way of making them and a taste of its own. My favorite place for gorditas and picadas is a restaurant run out of a garage. The flavor is just amazing! and the price... wow, a full breakfast for under $3 dollars???

Favorite Dish: Picadas Rancheras, Mole, Verdes
    Gordas Negras, Blancas with any sauce you like and "queso fresco" on top. My mouth is watering already!

• GuerrilleroTuria's Profile Photo

La Parroquia: La ParroquiaOneOfheMostTypicalPlacesOfVeracruz

by GuerrilleroTuria Written Jan 19, 2003

It's one of the most typical places of Veracruz. You can go whenever you want since 7:00 AM up to 23:30 that always there is people. It's a bar that you can go for having breakfast, lunch, dinner or for having a coffe or cake after the lunch.

• Ames24's Profile Photo

can't remem: Yummy CHILAQUILES!

by Ames24 Written Dec 27, 2002

Nice comfortable, out of the heat, restaurant. Not an overly fancy interior but it is decorated nice. I think it's a restaurant run by some women. It's really yummy food.

Favorite Dish: I ate CHILAQUILES there; you can choose either red or green salsa to have with it. It's served with some fried platanos. It's reeeallly good.

Instant Answers: Veracruz

Comments

Veracruz Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Veracruz restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Veracruz sightseeing.