Mérida What to Pack

Parque de Santa Lucia (I think)
    by Redlats

Best Rated What to Pack in Mérida

• Redlats's Profile Photo

Hints we found out for holidays in Mexico

by Redlats Updated Apr 28, 2005

Parque de Santa Lucia (I think)

Luggage and bags: - Unless you speak Spanish, bring a small notebook or calculator for writing prices when negotiating.

- Bring a Spanish-Your language dictionary to assist in communicating.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: - We did not bring enough clothes. We forgot about the heat and sweat and the fact that you can only wear a top for one day. You either need more clothes or to find a laundromat.

- Bring comfortable runners. I wore only sandals the first two days, but developed blisters since it has been 5 months since I last used them in Canada, so I had to switch to my runners until the blisters healed.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: - Consider bringing Pepto Bismal. We were told that taking Pepto Bismal twice or four times a day keeps most people from getting Montezuma's Revenge (or as they now call it Traveller's Disease).

- In Mexico, always carry tissues or wet ones. Many washrooms do not have toilet paper (or toilet seats).

- We used a lot of suntan lotion.

- We read elsewhere that visitors needed to bring mosquito lotion. It depends on when you visit. The rainy season in Merida is June through September (over 5" of rain each month). From November to April, average rainfall is approx 1" per month -- not enough rain to support mosquitos.

Miscellaneous: - ATM's give out cash in 500 and 200 peso notes. Most restaurants were not happy accepting a 500 peso note. Make sure you have lots of smaller value notes, use the big bills in big grocery stores or paying for hotels.

- Regarding phone calls. The pay phones do not accept cash. We wanted to make a couple of local calls, and never found out how to do it -- the rules at buying (and using) a phone card are all in Spanish.

• dek516's Profile Photo

Be Prepared for the Heat

by dek516 Updated Mar 29, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In the spring and summer, shorts, skirts, t-shirts and tank tops are the best options to handle the heat . The streets are flat and easy to manage, so a pair of flip flops or sandals are a good way to keep your feet cool.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sun lotion for the fair-skinned is a must. The mosquitos can be vicious, so some strong bug spray is also a good idea.

Miscellaneous: Although many people dress casually, the atmosphere on Sundays in Merida is slightly dressier, so consider a nicer outfit if you're there on a Sunday.

Instant Answers: Mérida

Comments

Mérida What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Mérida what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mérida sightseeing.