Mérida Restaurants

Los Tres Mosqueteros Yucatecos
  • Entrance of La Chaya Maya on Calle 55, Mérida
    Entrance of La Chaya Maya on Calle 55,...
    Pollo pibil at La Jarana, Mérida

Most Recent Restaurants in Mérida

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Soberana Café @ Parque Santa Lucia: For dinner & drinks before Thursday night concerts

by Jefie Updated Mar 12, 2015

We were looking for a place where we could grab a light snack before the Thursday night concert at Parque Santa Lucia (see my nightlife tip) so we took a look at all the restaurants located under the arcades surrounding the park, but most seemed rather "high end" and not exactly the kind of place where you can just sit down to order a drink and something to nibble on. That's why I was happy to spot the terrace of Soberana Café. This actually is the restaurant of Hotel Casa Lucia, which is located across the street. I'm not sure if they only set up their terrace in the park only on concert nights, but it definitely makes for the good option if you're looking for a more casual place. The restaurant specializes in international/French cuisine, and the terrace menu features several light fare options at reasonable prices. I had the roasted veggie baguette, and although there was a tad too much oil for my taste, it was pretty good, and it was served with a side of delicious homemade fries. The candlelit tables made for a really nice atmosphere, and although we didn't have a clear view of the stage from our table, it was close enough that we could enjoy the music of the lovely Yucatecan serenade :o)

My roasted veggie baguette at Soberana Caf�� With Sylvain on the terrace of Soberana Caf��

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Los Trompos (Centro 59): Bad coffee, but excellent breakfast!

by Jefie Updated Mar 11, 2015

Since this restaurant was located on the same street as our hotel, I walked passed it on quite a few occasions but never really felt compelled to go in until our guide recommended it as a good place to eat: it seemed nice - it's located in an art-deco building built in 1936 to house the HQ of an insurance company - but it looked like too much of a generic place to really catch my attention. There are several Los Trompos locations throughout the city of Mérida (it started out as a counter in a mall's food court some 20 years ago), and while some are more like fast-food restaurants, others offer full restaurant service. The Centro 59 location even offers live music at night and breakfast in the morning, which is when we ended up going. The restaurant's modern decor doesn't exactly scream Yucatan, but that might be exactly what they were going for. The menu features plenty of Mexican specialties and international dishes with a local twist. I thought the food was surprisingly distinctive and very good! For example, I ordered French toasts, and the eggs were mixed with local herbs - it was delicious! Sylvain was also quite pleased with his plate of scrambled eggs and chorizo. My only complaint would have to do with the coffee, which was so weak and tasteless, it took me quite a few cups to satisfy my caffeine addiction - luckily, refills were free!

Scrambled eggs with chorizo at Los Trompos

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Panificadora Y Pasteleria Montejo: For a quick & delicious breakfast!

by Jefie Updated Mar 10, 2015

As I told one of my friends, it's probably a good thing I only discovered this little bakery on our last day in Mérida or else I probably would have missed out on all the delicious Yucatan breakfasts we had because I would have been tempted to go back there day after day. The place doesn't look like much from the outside and, to be honest, there isn't much more inside except for the dozens of trays filled with mouthwatering pastries of all kinds! At first we were a bit puzzled as to how we should order, but luckily someone came in and showed us how it's done: you pick up a silver tray and a pair of tongs on the counter and go about filling your tray with everything you want. Once you're done, you bring everything back to the counter where a cashier will fill up a bag with your selection. Needless to say, it turned out to be our cheapest breakfast in Mérida! We went to the convience store next door to grab a cup of coffee and sat on a bench on Plaza Grande to savour it all. It was the perfect way to say goodbye to the wonderful city that is Mérida!

Go ahead, make your pick!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Los Bisquets Bisquets Obregón (Centro): Plenty of pastries and breakfast options

by Jefie Updated Mar 10, 2015

The main reason why we stopped by the Centro location of this Mexican restaurant chain on a few occasions was because it was conveniently situated just across the street from Plaza Grande. Their wide selection of tasty pastries (they seemed to be made on the spot) made for the perfect mid-morning snack! But they also offered a full menu, and one day we decided to give it a shot for breakfast. I say "give it a shot" because it didn't exactly seem to offer the kind of atmosphere I usually look for in a restaurant: they share the place with a Burger King, so although this is not a fast food restaurant, it sort of feels like one. Also, it kinda had a weird smell... But oh well, I was starving and decided to look no further. Besides, the menu had lots of interesting choices, though again some looked more like fast food options... In the end, I decided to order the scrambled eggs & ham torta and one of their specialties: a bisquet with pineapple jam. From what I gather, a Mexican bisquet is the sweet corn version of an American biscuit, and it was delicious! The scrambled eggs & ham torta (sandwich) was filled with avocado and refried beans and served with fries, so it was really good but also very filling (I could only eat half of it). Although I wouldn't necessarily eat there again, I'd say that if you're looking for a Mexican diner kind of experience, this is a pretty good spot. The atmosphere and service might not be anything out of the ordinary, but the food is good and the price is right. Oh, and did I mention they make excellent pastries?! The cheese balls (bolita de queso) were my favourite!

Scrambled eggs & ham torta, bisquet & jam

• Jefie's Profile Photo

La Chaya Maya (Centro): Back for breakfast!

by Jefie Updated Mar 8, 2015

We enjoyed our dinner at La Chaya Maya so much that we decided to go back later during the week. This time we picked the more low-key Centro location. To be honest, I might not have been tempted to go in if not for the fact that I was pretty sure the food would be good. This place is packed with tourists day and night (there seemed to be more locals at the Casona location), and the Centro location doesn't have much to offer in the way of atmosphere other than the Mayan ladies dressed in traditional clothes who were busy preparing tortillas, something else that makes the place look like a bit of a tourist trap. But when our waitress brought over a glass of delicious, freshly-pressed fruit juice along with the menus, the few doubts I had instantly went out the window! The breakfast menu is not that extensive, but it does feature several local specialties. The Mexican scrambled eggs with turkey were exactly what I was in the mood for, and they were excellent! Sylvain went for the huevos motuleños, a delicious Yucatan classic consisting of eggs served on tortillas topped with black beans, cheese, ham, peas, plantains and salsa. So while I preferred the other location over this one, having breakfast at La Chaya Maya made it pretty clear to me that this has to be one of the best restaurants in town!

Huevos motule��os at La Chaya Maya Enjoying my morning juice at La Chaya Maya Mexican scrambled eggs with turkey

La Casa de Frida: Mexican fine dining in Mérida

by Jefie Written Mar 8, 2015

This is another restaurant that was highly recommended so we decided to have dinner there one evening. The location is slightly less central than some of the other places we went to; not that it's far, it's just a couple of streets west of Plazza Grande, but there's not much else around so chances are you won't stumble upon it unless you look for it. Perhaps this explains why the place was pretty quiet when we walked in, because the food and ambience sure can't be blamed! This colourful restaurant specializes in Mexican fine cuisine (not necessarily regional one), which was a nice change from all the Yucatan dishes we'd tried so far. Among the house specialties, you'll find chile en nogada, an amazing dish originating from the state of Puebla. It consists of a large poblano pepper stuffed with fruits, spices, and your choice of ground beef or soy beans, and topped with a creamy walnut sauce. The description alone was enough to make our mouths water, so while I ordered the vegetarian version, Sylvain went for the regular one. I must admit that the dish looked a bit bland when it came to our table, but I took one bite and my mouth told me there was much more to it than my eyes could see! Other than that, our waiter was nice but a bit on the quiet side, and we didn't get to meet Coquito, the restaurant's pet rabbit; otherwise, I'd say it was a pretty fantastic dining experience!

Chile en nogado at La Casa de Frida Enjoying a nice glass of sangria At La Casa de Frida in M��rida

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Amaro: Good food in a lovely, romantic setting

by Jefie Updated Mar 8, 2015

I knew this was one of the highly recommended restaurants in Mérida, and when we walked past it on our first evening in the city and I caught a glimpse of its lovely courtyard, I knew we had to put it down on our list of places to try. We ended up going on the Monday night. Most restaurants we walked by seemed rather quiet, but there was just the right amount of people at Amaro to make for a nice ambience. We were seated at a table in the courtyard, over which spread the large branches of a lovely orchid tree. There was a stage set up so we were hoping for some live music, which would have made for an even nicer atmosphere, but sadly there wasn't any on that evening. The only bad moment of the evening came when I had to decide what to order. Amaro specializes in international and vegetarian cuisine, but the menu also features a wide selection of regional dishes. I was really torned between trying one of those (after all, how often do you have access to real Yucateca cuisine?) or one of their vegetarian dishes. In the end, I went neither and ordered the pollo al chipotle. It was good but not amazing, and I sort of regretted not going for one of their eggplant dishes, which was my initial choice. Overall, it may not have entirely lived up to my rather high expectations, but our evening at Amaro definitely was a good experience. Our waiter was funny and friendly, we very much enjoyed the courtyard's romantic atmosphere, the food was good... what's not to like?

Pollo al chipotle at Amaro, M��rida In the courtyard of Amaro, M��rida

Porque no?: Amazing homemade gelato in Mérida

by Jefie Updated Mar 8, 2015

I thought I had gotten rid of the gelato addiction I developed during my trip to Rome, but this place threw me right back into it! Located on Calle 62, it's easy to walk past this little place without noticing it but I somehow seem to have developed some kind of sixth sense when it comes to gelato (!). The spotted the gelato counter right away and the "gelato artesanale" sign convinced me to give this place a try. I was pleasantly suprised to see the bold flavours offered, especially those with a Mexican twist: lime & yerba buena, watermelon with habanero chili, pineapple & cucumber... There were about 20 flavours offered, and it was possible to ask for samples before making a choice. I must have sampled at least half of the flavours (they were all excellent), to the point where I felt a bit shy asking for the next one, but each time the little sample spoon was presented to me with a huge smile :o) At only 40 pesos for two scoops, I thought it was worth waiting until after I got back home to check into rehab!

As a side note, Sylvain, who clearly doesn't share my addiction, ordered an espresso. He said it was good, and I liked how it was served with a homemade almond biscotti. It's possible to eat on site, but the place still looks fairly new and still needs some work to create a nice atmosphere. So we ordered our gelato and espresso to go, it was much more fun to walk around in the heat with my melting gelato cone anyways!

Favorite Dish: Perhaps not the most original, but the Chocolate Mexicano flavour was to die for!

At gelateria Porque No? in M��rida

• Jefie's Profile Photo

La Jarana: If it's a tourist trap, it's a good one!

by Jefie Written Mar 8, 2015

After spending the entire morning walking around Mérida, we found ourselves back near Plaza Grande around lunch time. We were getting hungry and felt like taking a break before setting out on our walk up Paseo de Montejo. There are a few restaurants located on Plaza Grande. Most of them are located on the north side, underneath the green arcades of the Palacio de Gobierno. However, since I didn't feel like eating in the shade on a gorgeous sunny day, we decided to sit on the sunny patio of La Jarana, located on the east side of Plaza Grande, next to Mérida's City Hall. Given its amazing location, we knew it had to be a bit of a tourist trap, but since prices seemed right and the atmosphere was nice, we thought we'd take a chance, and I'm glad we did! La Jarana's menu features several regional specialties; I ordered the pollo pibil and my plate was both nicely presented and very good. I can't remember what Sylvain ordered, but he absolutely loved it and left the place filled to the brim! Service was good, there was a nice cocktail list, so what more can I say? If it a tourist trap, we both enjoyed getting caught!

Pollo pibil at La Jarana, M��rida

Café La Habana: 24h coffee shop in downtown Mérida

by Jefie Written Mar 8, 2015

At the beginning of our trip, we hadn't realized there was a time difference between Cancun (where we landed) and Mérida. On February 1, 2015, the state of Quintana Roo switched to Eastern time, while Yucatan remains on Central time. As a result, we unknowingly got up quite early on our first day in Mérida, but luckily (I was starving, as always!) there was a coffee shop open 24 h/day just down the street from our hotel. According to what's written above the door, this place has been around since 1952. We had an OK breakfast with OK coffee (I was expecting really good coffee given that they roast their own beans) at Café La Habana. Service was good but atmosphere was just average; then again, we were there early in the morning so maybe it gets better when the place gets more busy. So while this wasn't the best restaurant we went to during our trip, it's good to know that there's a place open 24 hours in downtown Mérida where you can grab that late night snack or early breakfast.

With Sylvain at Caf�� La Habana in M��rida

• Jefie's Profile Photo

La Chaya Maya (Casona): Amazing Yucatecan cuisine!

by Jefie Updated Mar 8, 2015

This was the first restaurant we tried in Mérida and we could say that instead of saving the best for last, we had it from the very start! There are two Chaya Maya restaurants in Mérida, and both are equally good, but for dinner I would definitely recommend the Casona one. Located around a lovely courtyard, it offers a very romantic ambience. The menu features plenty of regional specialties, and food is nothing short of exquisite: I ordered a plate called "Los Tres Mosqueteros Yucatecos", a dish of chicken wrapped in crepes and cooked in three typical local sauces. It was beyond delicious! The restaurant also features a nice cocktail bar that features a long list of Mexican cocktails, many of which I had never heard of before. Cocktail ingredients were not listed so I had to rely on the pictures featured in the drinks menu, and picked one called "ojos verdes", which also turned out to be delicious! Service was very efficient, and I very much appreciated how easily they moved us to a nicer table than the one we'd originally been taken to when we asked them. Quite possibly one of the best options in Mérida!

View of the courtyard from our table La Chaya Maya in M��rida Los Tres Mosqueteros Yucatecos Entrance of La Chaya Maya on Calle 55, M��rida Enjoying my Ojos Verdes cocktail at La Chaya Maya

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Main St. Restaurant & Bar: Main St. Restaurant & Bar

by TravellerMel Updated Feb 7, 2014

Had lunch at this restaurant during our cruise shore excursion. We ordered margaritas and chicken fajitas. The fajitas were tasty, but not like in the states - the chicken, peppers and onions were not grilled, but instead stewed. We sat outside under an umbrella in the park, and it was very nice. The lunch and margarita came to $17 USD, and the bill came totaled in Mexican Pesos and American Dollars.

Main St. Restaurant & Bar Margaritas! fajitas

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Hotel Hyatt Regency Restaurant - Peregrina Bistro: Yucatan cuisine

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 10, 2013

We have been told that Yucatan food is its own unique style and is very different from what most people consider "Mexican" food. It includes influences from the local Mayan culture, as well as Caribbean, Mexican, European and Middle Eastern cultures.

When having dinner in the restaurant of the Hotel Hyatt Regency Merida, I’ve tried Xcatic Cream with Crab and Grilled Salmon with fresh orange juice. It cost me 315 MEX=$30.

At Hyatt Regency Merida you can enjoy breakfast from 6:30 am to 12 noon and daily buffets at Bistro from 1 pm to 5pm.
    You may also have a dinner at Spasso Restaurant with its original cuisine forms 6 pm to 2 am.

You can watch my 5 min 25 sec Video Merida Hotel Hyatt in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My Xcatic Cream with Crab My Grilled Salmon My friendly waiter My breakfast My breakfast

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Alberto's: Heavy and dark

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 4, 2011

All of the guidebooks recommended Alberto's, so we ate one dinner there. When will I learn not to trust guidebooks? Alberto's is considered to be one of the best restaurants in Merida. I'm sure they try, but the food was mediocre, even their middle eastern dishes that they made such a big deal about, the regional dishes were sparse, the decor was heavy and pedantic, and the prices were too high. They had very few options for vegetarians, but the same could be said for many restaurants and cafes in Merida.

The other red flag I saw as soon as I sat down was all of the patrons were obviously tourists, with most being from the USA.

I wouldn't go back. I'd recommend exploring the smaller, local cafes and restaurants that are not listed in the guidebooks.

Favorite Dish: The Turkish coffee was good - just like what I had in Bosnia-Hercegovina.

Alberto's Continental, Merida, MX

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Cafe Santa Lucia: Hidden Gem

by Jase1177 Written Jul 4, 2008

Café Lucia – Cafe Lucia is situated in the elegant five-star boutique Hotel Casa Lucia near the historical center of Merida. The hotel lobby and the café are beautifully adorned in from top to bottom, including a Fernando Botero painting. I really enjoyed this place for several reasons and ended up eating there three times in two and half days. I met a Dutch & Danish couple during my trip, which joined me here & also loved it. One of the biggest attractions was that this was the only place we could find that was serving alcohol. I am not sure if it is a federal or a state law, but during hurricane threats/warnings, no alcohol is allowed to be served, at least certain types of alcohol. Regardless, this was the only place we could find that would give us alcohol for a day. The clientele was definitely an international mix of people. I joked that it felt like our own little Casablanca because of the international vibe of people hiding out from the hurricane in a plush setting.

Favorite Dish: The wine selections were pretty good and the drink menu was excellent. I had both sangria and margaritas that I thought were great. The food was very worthy. For lunch, a prosciutto sandwich with fries was pretty decent. For dinner I had some mushroom soup that was quite tasty, excellent caprese salad, and some salmon carpaccio that was good. For a dessert I had carrot cake that was very scrumptious.

Instant Answers: Mérida

Comments

Mérida Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mérida restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mérida sightseeing.