Mérida Restaurants

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Main St. Restaurant & Bar: Main St. Restaurant & Bar

by TravellerMel Updated Feb 7, 2014
    Main St. Restaurant & Bar

Had lunch at this restaurant during our cruise shore excursion. We ordered margaritas and chicken fajitas. The fajitas were tasty, but not like in the states - the chicken, peppers and onions were not grilled, but instead stewed. We sat outside under an umbrella in the park, and it was very nice. The lunch and margarita came to $17 USD, and the bill came totaled in Mexican Pesos and American Dollars.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Hotel Hyatt Regency Restaurant - Peregrina Bistro: Yucatan cuisine

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 10, 2013

My Xcatic Cream with Crab

We have been told that Yucatan food is its own unique style and is very different from what most people consider "Mexican" food. It includes influences from the local Mayan culture, as well as Caribbean, Mexican, European and Middle Eastern cultures.

When having dinner in the restaurant of the Hotel Hyatt Regency Merida, I’ve tried Xcatic Cream with Crab and Grilled Salmon with fresh orange juice. It cost me 315 MEX=$30.

At Hyatt Regency Merida you can enjoy breakfast from 6:30 am to 12 noon and daily buffets at Bistro from 1 pm to 5pm.
    You may also have a dinner at Spasso Restaurant with its original cuisine forms 6 pm to 2 am.

You can watch my 5 min 25 sec Video Merida Hotel Hyatt in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Alberto's: Heavy and dark

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Alberto's Continental, Merida, MX

All of the guidebooks recommended Alberto's, so we ate one dinner there. When will I learn not to trust guidebooks? Alberto's is considered to be one of the best restaurants in Merida. I'm sure they try, but the food was mediocre, even their middle eastern dishes that they made such a big deal about, the regional dishes were sparse, the decor was heavy and pedantic, and the prices were too high. They had very few options for vegetarians, but the same could be said for many restaurants and cafes in Merida.

The other red flag I saw as soon as I sat down was all of the patrons were obviously tourists, with most being from the USA.

I wouldn't go back. I'd recommend exploring the smaller, local cafes and restaurants that are not listed in the guidebooks.

Favorite Dish: The Turkish coffee was good - just like what I had in Bosnia-Hercegovina.

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Cafe Santa Lucia: Hidden Gem

by Jase1177 Written Jul 4, 2008

Café Lucia – Cafe Lucia is situated in the elegant five-star boutique Hotel Casa Lucia near the historical center of Merida. The hotel lobby and the café are beautifully adorned in from top to bottom, including a Fernando Botero painting. I really enjoyed this place for several reasons and ended up eating there three times in two and half days. I met a Dutch & Danish couple during my trip, which joined me here & also loved it. One of the biggest attractions was that this was the only place we could find that was serving alcohol. I am not sure if it is a federal or a state law, but during hurricane threats/warnings, no alcohol is allowed to be served, at least certain types of alcohol. Regardless, this was the only place we could find that would give us alcohol for a day. The clientele was definitely an international mix of people. I joked that it felt like our own little Casablanca because of the international vibe of people hiding out from the hurricane in a plush setting.

Favorite Dish: The wine selections were pretty good and the drink menu was excellent. I had both sangria and margaritas that I thought were great. The food was very worthy. For lunch, a prosciutto sandwich with fries was pretty decent. For dinner I had some mushroom soup that was quite tasty, excellent caprese salad, and some salmon carpaccio that was good. For a dessert I had carrot cake that was very scrumptious.

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Amaro: Average Amaro

by Jase1177 Written Jul 4, 2008

Amaro was a popular place with other tourists and a few locals. It is a Yucatecan Mexican restaurant with a diverse menu of some international items. The dining area was a charming large courtyard with old columns and interesting paintings on the walls. The sopa de lima was pretty good, while the berenjena meche (eggplant meche) was mediocre; the taste was fine but the cheese in the center of the rolled eggplant was not melted and was slightly cool. Overall, it was a fair place that was not expensive and provided a pleasant atmosphere.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

El Colon: Best and only home-made sherbets in town!

by stamporama Written May 13, 2008

El Colon ice cream parlor

This resto is right on the city square/zocalo and has been in business since 1907. It makes its own fruit-flavored sherbets, of which there are many kinds (mango, orange, tamarind, etc.). The place is the only one of its kind in the entire city (no branches) and after walking or touring the city sights under the sun the whole day, what better way is there to cool up and relieve the heat?

• poortrekkers's Profile Photo

Portico del Peregrino: Dining under the Stars

by poortrekkers Written May 11, 2008

Portico del Peregrino

This is one of many unassuming little restaurants along the streets of Merida. By looking at it, you would never know that beyond those doors (and through the restaurant) is a open air garden oasis. We sat under the stars, surrounded by flowering vines. Our meals were excellent... my husband had a traditional Yucatan fish dish, and I had this Mexican/ Italian fusion lasagna which was out of this world!

• poortrekkers's Profile Photo

Restaurante Villa Maria: Multi-ethnic food in Mexico

by poortrekkers Written May 11, 2008

We tried Restaurante Villa Maria based on another review on VT and our B&B hostess's recommendation. It had a very posh atmosphere and the service was excellent. The menu was eclectic... from traditional Yucatan dishes, to French and German cuisine. I had the pork in a Rochfort/ Mushroom sauce which was to die for (even thought the pork was tough), and my husband had the Wiener schnitzel. It was an overall very good dinning experience.

Cafe La Habana: Cafe La Habana

by dek516 Updated Mar 22, 2008

Me, pan dolce y cappuccino

Cafe La Habana is a decent breakfast spot. The interior isn't particularly appealing, but the sweet pastries (pan dolce) and coffee drinks are quite good. Prices are reasonable as well-- expect to pay 35 to 50 pesos for breakfast.

• dek516's Profile Photo

Cafe Italiano: Overpriced Breakfast- Watch Out!

by dek516 Written Mar 22, 2008

Cafe Italiano serves very good coffee, cappucinos, frappucinos and mochas. They have a small selection of pastries and desserts. I had a cappucino and fruit-filled pastry covered in cheese, both of which were good, but not worth the 80 pesos I paid!

Cafe Peon Contreras: Nice Outdoor Eating

by dek516 Written Mar 22, 2008

The cafe, before opening

Next to the theater house is the nicely-situated Cafe Peon Contreras. They're open throughout the day, although we only ate dinner here. The food was okay, although I wouldn't recommend the very dry pork tacos. Still, the outdoor setting, which gives views of the theater house and the Iglesia de Jesus, is very nice. Lots of vendors are sure to come by offering jewelry and hammocks. Kids also float through the tables selling gum and cigarettes (yikes!).

• StAlphonzo's Profile Photo

La Parilla: Mas tequila

by StAlphonzo Written Aug 11, 2007

My wife and I spent almost 5 hours in the place. Sunday night they move the tables and chairs into the street and it makes for a great place to people watch...and drink... The food was OK, but the wait staff made the experience enjoyable. Up until my visit here I've avoided tequila most of my life but it is here I developed a new fondness for the stuff thanks to my insistent waiter.

Favorite Dish: The food is good -- not great. The atmosphere and location makes this a great place to have drinks and relax.

• StAlphonzo's Profile Photo

Pancho's: Two for one!

by StAlphonzo Written Aug 11, 2007

Dos margaritas and quesadilla

Pancho's is yet another restaurant catering to the tourist crowd, yet it still retains enough of the traditional Mexican experience to make this a worthwhile stop. The food was quite good, in fact the best Sopa's I've ever had and instead of serving tortila chips with salsa they serve fried plantains.

But what this place is probably best known for is the 2 for 1 drinks. You order a margarita and they bring you two. In fact, upon the forth round of drinks I pleaded with the waiter -- Uno por favor. He just smiled and said. No - dos. Thank god the B&B was within walking distance...

Favorite Dish: Picadilo and polo sopas.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Street vendors in Plaza Grande: Marquesitas!

by karenincalifornia Updated Jan 11, 2007

Marquesita street vendor

Marquesitas are a Merida specialty. If you travel to Merida, you must try these. You'll be hooked. I understand that a family in Merida invented the marquesitas. The street vendor attaches everything he needs to cook marquesitas to his mustard colored 3-wheel bicycle (common mode of transportation in Yucatan). You'll find the stands in the Plaza Grande (mainly in the evening) and possibly elsewhere in Centro Historico. On New Year's Eve, a long line of them had been set up facing the Cathedral.

The vendors are easy to find. Before you see them, you'll hear them cheerfully calling out "Marquesita!"

Favorite Dish: How to describe a marquesita? The vendor cooks them in a two-sided crepe maker with waffle design over a propane flame. It is like a crepe, but soft when hot and crunchy when it cools. It is filled with either Edam cheese or Nutella sauce, and rolled up into a tube. So ask for a marquesita queso or a marquesita nutella - I couldn't decide which one was best. They cost only 10 pesos each.

They are so delicious, we ate them every night, even when we didn't think we could eat any more. I would love to be able to duplicate them, but as simple as they sound, I don't think I can do them justice without the right equipment (including the bicycle).

Cafe La Habana: Cuban Style Coffee House

by karenincalifornia Written Jan 11, 2007

Cafe La Habana, Merida, MX

On the days we needed an early start, we headed over to Cafe La Habana for breakfast, which is open 24/7. This is a very nice diner with excellent food (including some regional cuisine) and frequented by many locals. The Cafe roasts their own coffee and sells beans by the kilo, too.

Favorite Dish: Everything was good - the omelets, the hot cakes, the fruit/yogurt/granola, and my favorite, the queso fundido. Here it is made the way it should be - plain and simple unadulterated gooey cheese, with nothing else mixed in and served with handmade corn tortillas.

The fresh squeezed OJ was excellent. The American coffee was bland. Order instead the Cafe Cubano (thick, dark and strong served in a demitasse cup - kind of espresso but different), or the delicious Cafe Habana (Cafe Cubano with frothy milk - kind of like a cappucino, but different).

Instant Answers: Mérida

Comments

Mérida Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mérida restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mérida sightseeing.