Mérida Restaurants

Los Tres Mosqueteros Yucatecos
  • Entrance of La Chaya Maya on Calle 55, Mérida
    Entrance of La Chaya Maya on Calle 55,...
    Pollo pibil at La Jarana, Mérida

Most Recent Restaurants in Mérida

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Amaro: Average Amaro

by Jase1177 Written Jul 4, 2008

Amaro was a popular place with other tourists and a few locals. It is a Yucatecan Mexican restaurant with a diverse menu of some international items. The dining area was a charming large courtyard with old columns and interesting paintings on the walls. The sopa de lima was pretty good, while the berenjena meche (eggplant meche) was mediocre; the taste was fine but the cheese in the center of the rolled eggplant was not melted and was slightly cool. Overall, it was a fair place that was not expensive and provided a pleasant atmosphere.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

El Colon: Best and only home-made sherbets in town!

by stamporama Written May 13, 2008

This resto is right on the city square/zocalo and has been in business since 1907. It makes its own fruit-flavored sherbets, of which there are many kinds (mango, orange, tamarind, etc.). The place is the only one of its kind in the entire city (no branches) and after walking or touring the city sights under the sun the whole day, what better way is there to cool up and relieve the heat?

El Colon ice cream parlor

• poortrekkers's Profile Photo

Portico del Peregrino: Dining under the Stars

by poortrekkers Written May 11, 2008

This is one of many unassuming little restaurants along the streets of Merida. By looking at it, you would never know that beyond those doors (and through the restaurant) is a open air garden oasis. We sat under the stars, surrounded by flowering vines. Our meals were excellent... my husband had a traditional Yucatan fish dish, and I had this Mexican/ Italian fusion lasagna which was out of this world!

Portico del Peregrino

• poortrekkers's Profile Photo

Restaurante Villa Maria: Multi-ethnic food in Mexico

by poortrekkers Written May 11, 2008

We tried Restaurante Villa Maria based on another review on VT and our B&B hostess's recommendation. It had a very posh atmosphere and the service was excellent. The menu was eclectic... from traditional Yucatan dishes, to French and German cuisine. I had the pork in a Rochfort/ Mushroom sauce which was to die for (even thought the pork was tough), and my husband had the Wiener schnitzel. It was an overall very good dinning experience.

Cafe La Habana: Cafe La Habana

by dek516 Updated Mar 22, 2008

Cafe La Habana is a decent breakfast spot. The interior isn't particularly appealing, but the sweet pastries (pan dolce) and coffee drinks are quite good. Prices are reasonable as well-- expect to pay 35 to 50 pesos for breakfast.

Me, pan dolce y cappuccino

• dek516's Profile Photo

Cafe Italiano: Overpriced Breakfast- Watch Out!

by dek516 Written Mar 22, 2008

Cafe Italiano serves very good coffee, cappucinos, frappucinos and mochas. They have a small selection of pastries and desserts. I had a cappucino and fruit-filled pastry covered in cheese, both of which were good, but not worth the 80 pesos I paid!

Cafe Peon Contreras: Nice Outdoor Eating

by dek516 Written Mar 22, 2008

Next to the theater house is the nicely-situated Cafe Peon Contreras. They're open throughout the day, although we only ate dinner here. The food was okay, although I wouldn't recommend the very dry pork tacos. Still, the outdoor setting, which gives views of the theater house and the Iglesia de Jesus, is very nice. Lots of vendors are sure to come by offering jewelry and hammocks. Kids also float through the tables selling gum and cigarettes (yikes!).

The cafe, before opening

• StAlphonzo's Profile Photo

La Parilla: Mas tequila

by StAlphonzo Written Aug 11, 2007

My wife and I spent almost 5 hours in the place. Sunday night they move the tables and chairs into the street and it makes for a great place to people watch...and drink... The food was OK, but the wait staff made the experience enjoyable. Up until my visit here I've avoided tequila most of my life but it is here I developed a new fondness for the stuff thanks to my insistent waiter.

Favorite Dish: The food is good -- not great. The atmosphere and location makes this a great place to have drinks and relax.

• StAlphonzo's Profile Photo

Pancho's: Two for one!

by StAlphonzo Written Aug 11, 2007

Pancho's is yet another restaurant catering to the tourist crowd, yet it still retains enough of the traditional Mexican experience to make this a worthwhile stop. The food was quite good, in fact the best Sopa's I've ever had and instead of serving tortila chips with salsa they serve fried plantains.

But what this place is probably best known for is the 2 for 1 drinks. You order a margarita and they bring you two. In fact, upon the forth round of drinks I pleaded with the waiter -- Uno por favor. He just smiled and said. No - dos. Thank god the B&B was within walking distance...

Favorite Dish: Picadilo and polo sopas.

Dos margaritas and quesadilla

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Street vendors in Plaza Grande: Marquesitas!

by karenincalifornia Updated Jan 11, 2007

Marquesitas are a Merida specialty. If you travel to Merida, you must try these. You'll be hooked. I understand that a family in Merida invented the marquesitas. The street vendor attaches everything he needs to cook marquesitas to his mustard colored 3-wheel bicycle (common mode of transportation in Yucatan). You'll find the stands in the Plaza Grande (mainly in the evening) and possibly elsewhere in Centro Historico. On New Year's Eve, a long line of them had been set up facing the Cathedral.

The vendors are easy to find. Before you see them, you'll hear them cheerfully calling out "Marquesita!"

Favorite Dish: How to describe a marquesita? The vendor cooks them in a two-sided crepe maker with waffle design over a propane flame. It is like a crepe, but soft when hot and crunchy when it cools. It is filled with either Edam cheese or Nutella sauce, and rolled up into a tube. So ask for a marquesita queso or a marquesita nutella - I couldn't decide which one was best. They cost only 10 pesos each.

They are so delicious, we ate them every night, even when we didn't think we could eat any more. I would love to be able to duplicate them, but as simple as they sound, I don't think I can do them justice without the right equipment (including the bicycle).

Marquesita street vendor

Cafe La Habana: Cuban Style Coffee House

by karenincalifornia Written Jan 11, 2007

On the days we needed an early start, we headed over to Cafe La Habana for breakfast, which is open 24/7. This is a very nice diner with excellent food (including some regional cuisine) and frequented by many locals. The Cafe roasts their own coffee and sells beans by the kilo, too.

Favorite Dish: Everything was good - the omelets, the hot cakes, the fruit/yogurt/granola, and my favorite, the queso fundido. Here it is made the way it should be - plain and simple unadulterated gooey cheese, with nothing else mixed in and served with handmade corn tortillas.

The fresh squeezed OJ was excellent. The American coffee was bland. Order instead the Cafe Cubano (thick, dark and strong served in a demitasse cup - kind of espresso but different), or the delicious Cafe Habana (Cafe Cubano with frothy milk - kind of like a cappucino, but different).

Cafe La Habana, Merida, MX

Amaro: Regional cuisine

by karenincalifornia Updated Jan 11, 2007

I have to tell you straight out -- it is not easy being a vegetarian in Yucatan. Most dishes are made with beef, chicken, pork or fish. In several restaurants, maybe only one item was vegetarian, and it was something boring like a cheese quesedilla.

One exception was Amaro Restaurant on Calle 59 near the Plaza Grande. They had more vegetarian items than most restaurants and even promoted themselves as having vegetarian food.

The setting is nice - an outdoor inner courtyard with lots of plants. We ate lunch here and enjoyed it enough to come back for dinner on our last night. Unfortunately, service was terrible on our second visit. It was fine until we got our main course. That came out at 8:00 pm. No wait staff person visited our table to refill our drinks, take away our plates, offer us dessert, give us water, present the bill until 9:30 pm. At that time they gave us the dessert menu but did not come back until 10:00 pm. Instead of ordering dessert, we said we needed to go, and they acted kind of surprised. Perhaps the evening meal is slower in the Yucatan than we are used to in the US.

Favorite Dish: The food was tasty, but don't expect spicy food. I liked the papadzules, which were handmade corn tortillas filled with roasted and ground pumpkin seeds, topped with a pumpkin seed sauce and a tomato sauce and finally a crumbled hard boiled egg. My family like the pollo pibil, and popular Yucatan dish of chicken marinated in achiote paste and baked in banana leaves.

I'd give the restaurant a higher rating if the service had been better.

Amaro Restaurant in Merida, MX

Hotel Villa Maria: One of the best

by karenincalifornia Written Jan 10, 2007

The Hotel Villa Maria has one of the finest restaurants in Merida. We ate dinner there on New Year's Eve, and they put on a delicious prix fixe dinner. Presentation was superb, and the chef prepares scrumptious continental dishes. The ambiance is beautiful.

Breakfast is not that early here, but if you can wait until 8:00 am to eat, you'll be fine.

Dining is available either in the central outdoor courtyard (which has a retractable cover for inclement weather) or in the air-conditioned dining room.

Favorite Dish: The wine list is varied and good, and Hotel Villa Maria, in my opinion, made the best margaritas in all of Merida.

We also at breakfast here twice. Everything was delicious. On the top of my list was their coffee (yes, their coffee is wonderful), their yogurt, and sweet bread (not sweetbreads, but bread with a sugar topping). They had many other breakfast dishes as well, egg dishes, omelets, and other breakfast dishes. This was a very good way to start the day.

• Archeology

• Redlats's Profile Photo

Eltrapiche: Eating good Mexican food

by Redlats Written May 7, 2006

Normally I do not do restaurant reviews, but after spending time in Merida in 2005 and 2006, we enjoyed this restaurant every time we visited. It is just local fare.

For English only speakers like us, eating at this restaurant is a bit of an adventure. None of the staff speak English. But as you can see from the third picture, the specials of the day were 28 pesos (well under $3US). And as you can see from the second picture, the food looks (and tastes) pretty good.

Nothing Special frontage food looks good Menu de hoy (Specials of the day)

• AnnaLupilla's Profile Photo

Restaurante & Bar Amaro: Vegetarian & International

by AnnaLupilla Written Nov 8, 2005

Enjoy their unique cuisine, sitting in the sunny patio watching the stars and listening to excellent romantic live music.

Favorite Dish: Whatever vegetarian dish they offer is a great option!!! I enjoyed their food a lot, as well as the excellent service. They offer a lot of meals with local vegetables. So, vegetarian, but you can get to know the local cuisine though.

Instant Answers: Mérida

Comments

Mérida Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mérida restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mérida sightseeing.